PDA

View Full Version : Black Metal Thread (Hail Satan!)

Jakebert
08-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I've been really getting into black metal lately, mostly thanks to John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats' insistence on his blog. So far I've really gotten into Darkthrone, Emperor, Marduk, Agalloch, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I also like Burzum a lot but I hate to admit it because the dude is so, so insanely stupid.

Anyone else like BLACK METAL? Share your favorite albums here. Marrow of the Spirit by Agalloch is probably my favorite black metal album at the moment.

holland25
08-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes, I do. I've been listening to black metal since 2004. I went through a period when I listened solely to black metal.

Favourite albums? For a Glory of All Evil Spirits, Rise for Victory by Mastiphal, everything by Azaghal and Impaled Nazarene and 90% of Marduk's, Dark Funeral's and Emperor's stuff. And many more that I'm currently too lazy to render.

Lord Phidias
08-29-2011, 02:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3DzHOmSDs

holland25
08-29-2011, 03:09 AM
Norther is not black metal, it's melodic death metal / Gothenburg metal.

bighead384
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't get into music like this because of the vocalists. It's too corny for me. What do you like about this music? I sure as hell don't get it.

holland25
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't know... Its brutality, heaviness, fastness and (in melodic black metal bands) those super cool keyboard melodies. Not mentioning the lyrics, cause I almost never understand a single word.

Check this song to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0V0_v524nQ

Jakebert
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
The vocals can be difficult to get past, but what I love about black metal is that when it's done right it hits this perfect balance of majestic, atmospheric beauty and complete raw aggression. A really great black metal song can perfectly evoke feelings and images that a lot of music just can't.

Little_Miss_1565
08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Do not support Burzum. Dude is more than stupid, he's anti-semitic. A straight-up holocaust denier. Oh, he's also a convicted murderer.

I love Agalloch, but I don't buy the whole "atmospheric black metal" thing. It's post-rock, y'all. Same with Alcest, whom I also love.

Of the actual black metal bands, right now I'm probably most into Krallice. But Immortal is a stone cold classic. Best part of when I saw them live at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple: Abbath proclaiming "LET ME HEAR THE LADIESSSSS!!!"

mrconeman
08-29-2011, 06:08 PM
All I know about Black Metal is that there's this Black Metal guitar player who used to be a total ska nut, that literally every few days keeps asking me to form a Black Metal band. I'm running out of ways to say I have no interest in, or talent for, playing Black Metal.

I'm afraid he might murder me.

jacknife737
08-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Isn't Burzum also in jail for murdering a dude in his ex band or something like that?

holland25
08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Isn't Burzum also in jail for murdering a dude in his ex band or something like that?

Nah, he's out of jail since March 2010.

WebDudette
08-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Does this count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IyROmN94k

Jakebert
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Do not support Burzum. Dude is more than stupid, he's anti-semitic. A straight-up holocaust denier. Oh, he's also a convicted murderer.

I consider all those things, aside from the murder, a form of stupidity. Extreme forms of it, but stupidity none the less.

I know he's an awful person, but I struggle with that because he is kind of a brilliant musician. In my defense, I have not and will never pay a cent for anything he releases, nor am I saying I defend his worldview or actions, nor think he shouldn't be locked away somewhere. But the man makes beautifully atmospheric music.

Little_Miss_1565
08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I get that, but he will ultimately bank from people like you paying attention to him and extending his sphere of influence.

Jacknife - He murdered a member of rival band Mayhem.

holland25
08-30-2011, 11:46 PM
I get that, but he will ultimately bank from people like you paying attention to him and extending his sphere of influence.

Jacknife - He murdered a member of rival band Mayhem.

Actually it wasn't a rival band at the time. They cooperated in church arson. And the murder was an accident. Don't get me wrong, I still think Varg is an asshole, but he didn't deserve to spend so much time in prison.