PDA

View Full Version : are you fucking kidding me?

joshgenis
08-28-2011, 03:26 PM
In my college class "history of rock and roll" the offspring are not in the glossary. I can accept that, but then i see the name "n'sync" in the glossary. How can they get in a class about rock and roll and the offspring arent?

Omni
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM
The Offspring are in a weird position. They're important to punk rock in that they're the second most successful punk act (by record sales) of all time, and that they're one of the two bands that really brought it to the forefront. However, since they're not the most successful (Green Day), they're overshadowed. And though they were instrumental in introducing the world to their type of music, they're not even close to the most influential examples of punk rock. That honor goes mostly to 70s and 80s punk bands, although in my own opinion the Offspring did sort of set the model for what it is to be a good "pop-punk" band. They're the best pop-punk band I've ever heard, personally.

What is and is not rock music is overwhelmingly subjective, but I guess 'N Sync's music could be loosely classified in some respects. 'N Sync had hundreds of times more of a cultural impact than the Offspring, regardless of any opinion of their talent. Did you know their "No Strings Attached" album is the fastest selling album in history? 2x platinum in the first week of availability. You can't garner accolades like that and be ignored.

Tijs
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Funny. I'm reading a book now about the history of Rock 'N Roll. So far, no mentioning of Elvis Presley.

arnold161
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
I donīt even know how many times i already got really pissed off because of something like that...i think Offspring is one of the most underrated bands ever, no matter how this can sound to somebody...

usually is an artist after breakthrouhgh expected to prove that heīs not just one-hit wonder, exactly what i think Americana proved after Smash, but quite frequently i have a feeling like Offspring would need somehow to prove that they are more than just a two-hits wonder, and breakthrough at least once more...maybe this time..?:confused:

dexter85
08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
In my college class "history of rock and roll" the offspring are not in the glossary. I can accept that, but then i see the name "n'sync" in the glossary. How can they get in a class about rock and roll and the offspring arent?

In the book ’1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die’ by Robert Dimery, Smash is mentioned as one of the albums you need to hear. I know that 1001 albums are a lot, but think of the many, many, many albums that have been released over the last sixty years.
The list is compiled by 90 international music critics starting from the year of 1950 up until 2008. And this includes all genres - not just rock. That's impressive if you ask me.

jacknife737
08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
It is a bit weird that they often do get overlooked in these altrock history books/articles, considering that they were essentially the most successful independent band of all time, by just the Smash world wide sales alone.

Omni
08-28-2011, 04:47 PM
It is a bit weird that they often do get overlooked in these altrock history books/articles, considering that they were essentially the most successful independent band of all time, by just the Smash world wide sales alone.

In the context of punk/alt or 90s rock, they must be mentioned. But if this class is the history of rock and roll in its entirety, well, that's a lot of ground to cover and only a select few can be noted extensively. Despite the Offspring being my favorite band, I'm not offended they're overlooked in favor of artists like Elvis, the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones. I would have to roll my eyes a little if they weren't talked about in a book or class devoted to a more specific setting.

Outerspaceman21
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
When it comes to 90's rock, I think the Offspring had a significant impact. Smash is still the most successful album to the be produced on an independent label, showing that you don't need to be a major to actually have success. It's understandable how they are left out as not every band that had success in the music biz can be mentioned. They are overshadowed by other, more popular artist like Green Day. It sucks, but that's life.

bouncingcoles
08-29-2011, 02:01 AM
thats because no one gives a fuck about the offspring

Oxygene
08-29-2011, 02:58 AM
When did this thing happen with Green Day over shadowing? American Idiot?

Tijs
08-29-2011, 03:07 AM
When did this thing happen with Green Day over shadowing? American Idiot?Either that or Americana that pushed The Offspring's generally considered status of a mainstream punkrock band to the status of a one-hit-wonder poprock band, while Green Day was still considered as a mainstream punkrock band.

Though of course, I don't agree with what I just said.

Omni
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Green Day has always overshadowed the Offspring, from the minute they both became popular. They have like double the Offspring's record sales. They have nine #1s on the alt. charts compared to the Offspring's 3. Their singles have sold exponentially better.

Maybe it's not quite so accurate to say a band was "overshadowed" when it's really just one band, but the Offspring have been in Green Day's shadow and that's all their is to it.

dff_punk
08-29-2011, 06:32 PM
So, to like Green Day is trendy and to like The Offspring is punk? We win again!

cool 2 hate 681
08-29-2011, 09:12 PM
thats because no one gives a fuck about the offspring

that's what happens when it takes over a year to record a album

Llamas
08-30-2011, 04:49 AM
I honestly think Green Day has always overshadowed the Offspring, since the beginning, and I think there are a couple reasons for this.

One is that Green Day is supposedly much more entertaining live, especially for people who aren't really that into the band they're seeing. I've known many people who went to see either band without knowing anything besides singles, and most left GD as new-found GD fans, but those leaving Offspring were like, "Well, that was kinda meh." I just constantly hear that Billie Joe is a more exciting, enthusiastic front man, and Mike and Tre are both super crazy, too... but the Offspring, though Noodles is totally a riot, focuses more on the music, which is great for true fans, but maybe not so great for getting a lot of attention.

The other thing, which also goes along with the Offspring focusing more on music is that Green Day has typically been better at the gimmicky aspect. Sure, the Offspring released Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ? but Green Day has kinda focused on making characters of themselves and making music that reflects those characters.

I guess what it breaks down to is this: The Offspring has always made better music (in my opinion), but in the mainstream world, great music isn't enough. People pay attention to wild and crazy. They pay attention to characters and just the whole package. As much as I love the Offspring, they've just never been *that band* who took things to the next level; they've just focused on the music. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - in some ways, I think that's so much cooler than what Green Day has done. However, it's not the kind of stuff that's exciting enough to make history books.

Omni
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Green Day's shows are absolutely spectacular. I've never been to an Offspring show, but I'm sure the only thing that would make me enjoy an Offspring show even more would be the fact that I like the Offspring so much more. However, I've also learned that Green Day's live shows are all pretty much exactly the same, and if you ever go to more than one, you'll see you're being sold essentially a scripted musical. All of their quirks and unique things they do are all highly rehearsed it seems. Not that I see anything wrong with that in and of itself.

dr.vanessa
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't really mind that the band is usually not mentioned in history of Rock n Roll, i like the originality of the Offspring.Maybe they'd have to change their unique style to become "popular" & i'm glad they haven't done it so far! They're in no.1 of their fans' history & that's what matters ;D

Oxygene
08-31-2011, 01:51 AM
that's what happens when it takes over a year to record a album

no that's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZg6pdrD9Mo) what happens when it takes over a year to record an album...

Llamas
08-31-2011, 04:53 AM
no that's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZg6pdrD9Mo) what happens when it takes over a year to record an album...

Absolutely. I'd much rather songs like these than the crap GD puts out these days... though I guess they take just as much time putting out albums, too, and I can't figure out what they're doing with their time :P

Jesus
08-31-2011, 05:20 AM
One is that Green Day is supposedly much more entertaining live, especially for people who aren't really that into the band they're seeing. I've known many people who went to see either band without knowing anything besides singles, and most left GD as new-found GD fans, but those leaving Offspring were like, "Well, that was kinda meh." I just constantly hear that Billie Joe is a more exciting, enthusiastic front man, and Mike and Tre are both super crazy, too... but the Offspring, though Noodles is totally a riot, focuses more on the music, which is great for true fans, but maybe not so great for getting a lot of attention.

Pretty much spot on, my GF wanted to check out most of Green day's stuff after seeing them twice in concert ( also 8 songs on the setlist were different out of a 35 song setlist), each time a 3 hour show. While The Offspring setlist was identical (1 hour show) and even the two times they said something it was identical. It didn't give her much incentive to check out the other stuff.

It wasn't always this way, during the Americana days the shows were more mixed up and entertaining (obviously scripted, but so are the current shows) for people that are almost fans (banter, intermission, backstreet boys, water jam, etc) while green day's shows were more phoned in back then.

cool 2 hate 681
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

that's a very good point:)

hobojoe44
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Well Alan Cross with the Ongoing History of New Music Radio show ends up bringing up Dexter and/or the band in a few shows a year. be it a show about singers/bands with the most post secondary education, side businesses, or how they have spent their money with the whole pilot thing with the Estonian MIG trainer Jet.
He did have Dexter and his parents in a pod cast interview if any of you recall me posting it a year or more ago.