PDA

View Full Version : You Will Find a Way: First single

bighead384
08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
You Will Find a Way would not be a good choice for a first single. It's a good song, but it's just not attention-grabbing or fresh enough. I think it would be good as a follow-up single though.

For RAFRAG, the first song they played live was Half-Truism, and that ended up being the 4th single.

So how do you think YWFW would do as a lead single?

RonWelty
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
You Will Find a Way would not be a good choice for a first single. It's a good song, but it's just not attention-grabbing or fresh enough. I think it would be good as a follow-up single though.

For RAFRAG, the first song they played live was Half-Truism, and that ended up being the 4th single.

Rise and Fall could have been a hit was YGGFK the first single and if SIMU wasn't full of "fucks" and "shits" (LOL) that cannot be played on radio. Other than that, SIMU would be really huge.

holland25
08-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Actually they've played Hammerhead first.

cool 2 hate 681
08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
a radio edit of stuff is messed up was played on kroq in 2009

RonWelty
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
a radio edit of stuff is messed up was played on kroq in 2009

yes but it was like half of the song was cut.

Jojan
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Rise and Fall could have been a hit was YGGFK the first single and if SIMU wasn't full of "fucks" and "shits" (LOL) that cannot be played on radio. Other than that, SIMU would be really huge.

What kind of fucking radio do you have? :-S

RonWelty
08-29-2011, 04:21 PM
What kind of fucking radio do you have? :-S

None. I live in this century. No radio. Only stream!

mrconeman
08-29-2011, 06:14 PM
So they're still doing that thing where they release a song that completely rips off something that was popular several years ago?

Times Like These is a pretty good song, and so is She Sells Sanctuary, but there was no need for them to have a bastard son in this song.

Dexters vocals also sound horrible on it, like off key horrible.

Omni
08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
They supposedly changed the riff up significantly (I haven't bothered to listen to the updated version) so it doesn't sound as Foo Fighters-esque.

The quality of that first recording was pretty crappy, but from what I could tell, it was a solid song. Maybe single material, maybe not. I wouldn't mind it being on the record, though.

dff_punk
08-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Imho of course it'll be on the record. I myself prefer a more upbeat song as a first single, they've always done that.

Alex101
08-29-2011, 08:23 PM
It's either "You Will Find a Way" or the other song ("November Song" or whatever it's going to be called). Both songs will or may be on the new album but I'm not sure which song will be released as a single.

Moose
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ptXPAsHxE

thats the new riff.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ptXPAsHxE

thats the new riff.

Wait, what??? That riff was the only semi-original part of the song! Every other part of that song: the verse, the chorus, the intro-riff, the arpeggios during the verse- sounds MORE like Times Like These than that riff did! The new riff is just... bland. Oh mother of all facepalms.

Moose
08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
the fact they are still tinkering with the song most likely means it will be on the new album...im not in love with it...it's ok...i think the song as a whole is a little bit of a bore.

i do think i like the old riff better...not sure why they changed it...if they dont have a legit reason...then it makes you wonder if a band would take youtube comments into consideration when writing a song haha.

its not a bad song, but i do hope they have at least 12 songs better than it for the new album...and i personally hope they leave out the walla walla, nothingtown, worst hangover type songs off of the new album.

i just feel like those types of songs kill the momentum on some of the albums.

ThunderPX
08-30-2011, 04:08 AM
This song needs more "whoa"s.

bighead384
08-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Wait, what??? That riff was the only semi-original part of the song! Every other part of that song: the verse, the chorus, the intro-riff, the arpeggios during the verse- sounds MORE like Times Like These than that riff did! The new riff is just... bland. Oh mother of all facepalms.

There's a LOT about this song that sounds like Times Like These. That lead riff sounded very similar to the lead riff in TLT, so I'm glad they changed it. But it still reeks of TLT either way. How can they not notice this? They shouldn't release this song as single now that I think about it.

DMelges
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
For every song out there, there's another song that sounds like it. Who gives a fuck. I wouldn't even have noticed it if someone else hadn't bitched about it.

mrconeman
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
For every song out there, there's another song that sounds like it.
No, there isn't. Chord progressions get used and re-used all the time, there's only so many chords, and only so many ways you can fit them together. However on top of that, there are so many millions upon millions of variations with how you structure a song, what melody you put in it, what key the progression falls in, what time signature you play it in, what kind of musicians are playing, what instruments are being used, and many many others.

Accidents happen, when songs happen to have slightly too many of these variables coinciding with one another, and it's near impossible to say when it's an accident, when it was a blatant effort to rip someone off, and when it's just simply the influence of another song shining through in your song writing.

However given the Offspring's track record of blatantly sounding like whatever was popular at the time in an effort to sell albums, I'm pretty cynical and can't just turn a blind eye to this again.

It's a blatant rip off. There is no way that between Dexter, Noodles, Greg, Whoever the fuck is drumming, Josh Freese, and whoever is producing, that nobody thought "Hey doesn't this sound a little like the Foo Fighters?". So much so that obviously this did happen, and obviously that's why they changed the riff. Even though the entire song, chords, drums, vocal melody, and even tone, sounds like the Foo Fighters.
It's a blatant rip off.

DMelges
08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
No, there isn't. Chord progressions get used and re-used all the time, there's only so many chords, and only so many ways you can fit them together. However on top of that, there are so many millions upon millions of variations with how you structure a song, what melody you put in it, what key the progression falls in, what time signature you play it in, what kind of musicians are playing, what instruments are being used, and many many others.

Accidents happen, when songs happen to have slightly too many of these variables coinciding with one another, and it's near impossible to say when it's an accident, when it was a blatant effort to rip someone off, and when it's just simply the influence of another song shining through in your song writing.

However given the Offspring's track record of blatantly sounding like whatever was popular at the time in an effort to sell albums, I'm pretty cynical and can't just turn a blind eye to this again.

It's a blatant rip off. There is no way that between Dexter, Noodles, Greg, Whoever the fuck is drumming, Josh Freese, and whoever is producing, that nobody thought "Hey doesn't this sound a little like the Foo Fighters?". So much so that obviously this did happen, and obviously that's why they changed the riff. Even though the entire song, chords, drums, vocal melody, and even tone, sounds like the Foo Fighters.
It's a blatant rip off.

You're right but I bet you that you can show almost any song to someone asking them what it reminds them of, and they'll probably be able to give you an answer. I've seen this happen alot.

And of course accidents happen... I myself have written songs that only later I realized that I had been "inspired" by a certain song and that's where my ideas came from.

The Offspring does have a little history of "ripping off", but to me the songs that are claimed to be so are so... how can I say this... Offspring-ish, that it doesn't even effect me.

What pisses me off is that everyone loves to bash everything. If you have a new song, people will judge it poorly. This has happened to every album out there. Really sucks.

RonWelty
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
When I posted for the first time this song on my facebook profile, 5 or 6 of my friends accused promptly this song of being a FF cover that I was so embarassed that I had to delete it. Imagine what will happen if this gets played on radio.

PS: guitar's main riff gets stucked in people's head (at least mine). It's catchy and I believe will sound much better on studio than live. But it's also a probable big lawsuit if it gets national airplay. Or Grohl likes Gringo Bandito and doesn't care about this. It's also probable.

Rooster
08-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh, for god's sake, not this ripoff debate again. I don't think Grohl would care about it (hint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyKRRJQEpU, seems like nobody's guilt-free), so i don't see the problem here. You can say that in the example i gave you it was just a riff that was stolen, but whatever, we've had those debates here too. Still remember Stay Away and Hammerhead debate? there was just a riff that was "copied", which was in a big contrast to the American Idiot vs. Rise and Fall debate where everyone focused on the melody and the feeling of both songs as being nearly identical. In first case it was all "oh noez they stole tha riff, it doez no matteh if tha melod1 is different!" while in the second case it was all "fuck tha riffs d00d, it's the melody that countz!". Just fuck this whole debate. /rant

I like the new riff much better than the old one, though. Not because it sounds less similar to Times Like These, it simply sounds better to me.

keonii7
08-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I love almost all of their fast songs better than their slow ones. Some exceptions.

And yeah, the reason I love the Offspring is because their lyrics are strong, like someone was ticked off when they wrote them.

So this new song, I dunno.

arnold161
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
I think new version of YWFAW is great! i donīt see much similarities with Foo Fighters song now after little change and i think this discussion is kinda ridiculous... I had a little problem with this song a year ago when they played it for the first time, main riff really sounded a bit similary but not anymore, and now i even think it sounds pretty cool and catchy, and the song has a very big potential...something new again, different than Come out and play, All I Want, Pretty fly and the rest of not only first singles, but very good again...

and i agree with opinion that for any song out there you can find another one which sounds similar...btw have you ever noticed that You gotta fight for your right from Beastie Boys sounds like Smoke on the water from Deep Purple?(just the main riff) :D