PDA

View Full Version : pro shot you will find a way

bouncingcoles
09-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I found this a few days ago and thought people might be interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JCaBzsCco&feature=related

samseby
09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, thanks :)
1,000 times better quality-wise than what I could find.

Llamas
09-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I came across this a few days ago, myself... was really disappointed in Dexter's singing here - he's super flat. :-/ Nice to hear the new riff, though.

SkuM
09-05-2011, 03:39 PM
well, i'm a big fan and etc. but this song is too similar to "Times Like These"... good quality video anyway, thank you

mrconeman
09-05-2011, 03:48 PM
disappointed in Dexter's singing here - he's super flat. :-/

Seriously, it's the same on every recording of this song. Makes my ears want to die.

Sorry guys, but this song gets worse every time I hear it.

BigFish
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Great quality, but it being out of sync really annoys me >: (

Antonioffspring
09-05-2011, 08:40 PM
This is the best I have seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTR6cb6FF4

Guys, this is not opera, they are punk, it doesn't have to be perfect all the time, just wait for the studio version. I bet it's tough to sing it live, he is screaming open AAAAA and it's very very high. And I totally love slower beautifully sad and nostalgic parts.

Yeah, FF again, the new album will be diverse again and they are gonna draw a lot of influences...some haters will show up again, it's bound to happen with their current philosophy. That's how you get successful. People listen to a lot of music and they notice it. They changed the riff, is it not enough?

I saw Americana on youtube the other day and they were pretty tight, either videos are getting better or I don't know. :D Pete is a perfect drummer for them. They are not tired I guess. They are too good this year.

Llamas
09-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Guys, this is not opera, they are punk, it doesn't have to be perfect all the time, just wait for the studio version. I bet it's tough to sing it live, he is screaming open AAAAA and it's very very high. And I totally love slower beautifully sad and nostalgic parts.

Yeah, when they write punk songs, it's fine because the loud distorted guitars maybe mask his singing flaws a bit. I've been a fan for over a decade and never have I heard a song that he just straight up can not sing. It's too high for him and there's not enough guitar to hide that. It's just bad.

Yeah, FF again, the new album will be diverse again and they are gonna draw a lot of influences...some haters will show up again, it's bound to happen with their current philosophy. That's how you get successful. People listen to a lot of music and they notice it. They changed the riff, is it not enough?

I like it when the Offspring experiments and tries new stuff - RFRG is one of my favorite albums, and it's very diverse for them. This song, however, is like Worst Hangover Ever - experimenting gone wrong. I'm kinda hoping this song doesn't make the album and the rest of the experimentation is better.

EDIT: And before anyone jumps on me and tries to call me a "hater" or anything, I see nothing wrong with disliking some things - I'm the kind of person who can find something to like in everything, and I also can find something to dislike. The Offspring is a great band and I love them, but no, they're not perfect. Ixnay and Ignition are the only two albums they've made that have NO songs I dislike; every other album has at least one. There isn't a single artist who hasn't made at least one song I dislike (granted that they've made more than one or two albums). So I don't like this song, hope it's not on the album... and look forward to hearing what else comes out.

BigFish
09-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm kinda hoping this song doesn't make the album and the rest of the experimentation is better.

I honestly can't see this song not making the album, especially considering how many times they've played it out on tour and the fact that the little "tease" we got about a year ago was Dexter actually in the studio recording this song. I really like the song to be honest. It might just be a song that isn't that great to play live, like Fix You or something, but it's all they have right now. I'm hoping that we get to hear New Song #2 before this tour is over though...

Omni
09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
This is the best I have seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTR6cb6FF4

I saw Americana on youtube the other day and they were pretty tight, either videos are getting better or I don't know. :D Pete is a perfect drummer for them. They are not tired I guess. They are too good this year.

Man, I LOVE the song, but it's the vocal melody AND the guitar that make it sound like Times Like These. The truth is, if this song is released, especially as a single, they're going to get roasted big time for it. It sounds like a hit nonetheless, because the average radio audience just doesn't give a shit.

I want it to make the record, and at the same time, I don't. At any rate, I'm sure the actual recording would sound far better.

Antonioffspring
09-07-2011, 01:54 AM
I like it when the Offspring experiments and tries new stuff - RFRG is one of my favorite albums, and it's very diverse for them. This song, however, is like Worst Hangover Ever - experimenting gone wrong. I'm kinda hoping this song doesn't make the album and the rest of the experimentation is better.
Hmmm, Worst hangover ever??? For me it's Hammerhead type song. I don't see it as an experiment at all. It's already 10/10 song.

Man, I LOVE the song, but it's the vocal melody AND the guitar that make it sound like Times Like These. The truth is, if this song is released, especially as a single, they're going to get roasted big time for it. It sounds like a hit nonetheless, because the average radio audience just doesn't give a shit.

I want it to make the record, and at the same time, I don't. At any rate, I'm sure the actual recording would sound far better.
How did you feel about RFRG. It's full of obvious influences. BR LP GD TLO MCR N C. People recognized it and it's going to happen again. I didn't like C, BR and GD influences. I guess you don't like FF.

offsrx
09-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Guys, Don't go there with "influences" thing.
They are experimenting (which is a normal thing) and trying to get new sounds, new riffs, and new good songs! And aperently they made a mistake with Rise and Fall song, since it's the only one which reminds on american idiot(a lot). Same thing happened with November song, but they changed only 1 riff, and it sounds like it's their song! to me it doesn't reminds me on foo fighters anymore.
And it's not about "influences", its about trying to be new, and refreshing(which is really hard). So I'm very proud that they changed the main riff, and I just hope that they won't be making any mistakes again, such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjamfMzr9a8
(btw check out commets Offspring vs. Green Day XD )

Omni
09-07-2011, 07:10 AM
BR LP GD TLO MCR N C. People recognized it and it's going to happen again. I didn't like C, BR and GD influences. I guess you don't like FF.

Okay, man. You can't abbreviate every band you type, especially single word bands. I'm not really a fan of the Foo Fighters, but this song is pretty much blatant. A Lot Like Me was in the vein of Linkin Park, but it sounded nothing like any one particular song they did. Same with the Green Day song. Which one was it, Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom, I think? Sounded like a Green Day outtake, but it doesn't sound like they modeled after one specific song. One specific, highly famous song, in You Will Find a Way's case.

Again, I like Times Like These, and I like this new song. You Will Find a Way, November Song, "New Song," whatever it's going to be called. But I'm pretty scared at what it might potentially do to their credibility. I don't know why it concerns me. I'm not in the band, but the Offspring have been my favorite band for years, and I think they have a lot of talent and skill, and I don't want unenthusiastic or casual listeners to think they're hacks based on a couple of examples. The critics are going to tear You Will Find a Way a new orifice, that's all there is to it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think the Linkin Park comparisons were drawn to "What I've Done." I guess the titles of each song are sang sort of similarly, but that's really where the specific comparisons can end. It's its own unique song the rest of the way through, just sounds like it was written with Linkin Park in mind.

samseby
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Meanwhile it actually kind of grew on me - especially after having heard it live.

And if it's gonna make it on the new album/record it's gonna be just one song out of 12 so ...

Not that flat ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7lR8DKDXA

P.S.
Um did I miss the lyrics?

Antonioffspring
09-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Guys, Don't go there with "influences" thing.
They are experimenting (which is a normal thing) and trying to get new sounds, new riffs, and new good songs! And aperently they made a mistake with Rise and Fall song, since it's the only one which reminds on american idiot(a lot). Same thing happened with November song, but they changed only 1 riff, and it sounds like it's their song! to me it doesn't reminds me on foo fighters anymore.
And it's not about "influences", its about trying to be new, and refreshing(which is really hard). So I'm very proud that they changed the main riff, and I just hope that they won't be making any mistakes again, such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjamfMzr9a8
(btw check out commets Offspring vs. Green Day XD )
It is about influences. They made a new song based on FF's song. They wouldn't come up with it without FF.

Okay, man. You can't abbreviate every band you type, especially single word bands. I'm not really a fan of the Foo Fighters, but this song is pretty much blatant. A Lot Like Me was in the vein of Linkin Park, but it sounded nothing like any one particular song they did. Same with the Green Day song. Which one was it, Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom, I think? Sounded like a Green Day outtake, but it doesn't sound like they modeled after one specific song. One specific, highly famous song, in You Will Find a Way's case.

Again, I like Times Like These, and I like this new song. You Will Find a Way, November Song, "New Song," whatever it's going to be called. But I'm pretty scared at what it might potentially do to their credibility. I don't know why it concerns me. I'm not in the band, but the Offspring have been my favorite band for years, and I think they have a lot of talent and skill, and I don't want unenthusiastic or casual listeners to think they're hacks based on a couple of examples. The critics are going to tear You Will Find a Way a new orifice, that's all there is to it.

Actually, now that I think of it, I think the Linkin Park comparisons were drawn to "What I've Done." I guess the titles of each song are sang sort of similarly, but that's really where the specific comparisons can end. It's its own unique song the rest of the way through, just sounds like it was written with Linkin Park in mind.
Well, you can abbreviate Nirvana and Coldplay. :D It goes like this:
1.H-t - My chemical romance's Helena?, but not too much, people complained though
4.HH - Nirvana and The Letters Organize, people discussed both plenty
5.ALLM - Linkin Park, but not much, what about Coldplay's Clocks, yeah that was pointed out I think, but that's a typical drumming style
6.TMN - Bad Religion, it's pretty obvious to me
8.N - Maybe Green Day
10.FY - Coldplay, the title and they got too sensitive like them :D
(11.LHFRB - I don't know, it's ska and that's always the same :p :D)
12.RaF - the most blatant, Green Day

And if it's gonna make it on the new album/record it's gonna be just one song out of 12 so ...

...so others won't be influenced? :D

Fdsajoe
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I used to post on here a while ago, and have since gone off The Offspring, but thought I'd come back to see what's going on with them and just watched the video... too be honest it's pretty terrible.
I mean the song is so derivative; the groove; the cadences; the guitar sound all scream 'times like these'. It just lacks anything interesting or original, and is just a rehash of music that was released 10 years ago by someone else?
And then Dexter's vocal performance is pretty shocking on that video too, I appreciate what they've done in the past, but I think maybe it's time for them to call it a day. [/controversial]

ThunderPX
09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
1.H-t - My chemical romance's Helena?, but not too much, people complained though
5.ALLM - Linkin Park, but not much, what about Coldplay's Clocks, yeah that was pointed out I think, but that's a typical drumming style
8.N - Maybe Green Day

Not only are most of these grasping at straws, but if you're too lazy to type out single letter words or "Fix You," your points probably aren't worth debating to begin with.

Antonioffspring
09-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Not only are most of these grasping at straws, but if you're too lazy to type out single letter words or "Fix You," your points probably aren't worth debating to begin with.
3 of them are serious which is more than one, but I love some of them even though it's obvious. And I see that you are pissed off for no reason. I think that people should know it so they can get ready. It's going to happen again. I don't want to cause any harm. That's how they love to make songs with Bob Rock and I'm not sure if they are aware if some influences are too obvious and if they able to change them. Maybe, they should invite some fans into a studio to check out if something's too much. Imagine what would happen if they haven't played YWFAW live.

Llamas
09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, you can abbreviate Nirvana and Coldplay.

No, you can't. You really can't. Nickelback? Nsync? The Cure? Casualties? Cars?

It goes like this:
8.N - Maybe Green Day

You're seriously stretching on most of these. The only one that was heavily influenced is Rise and Fall.

RonWelty
09-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't see any Bad Religion on Takes Me Nowhere.

One thing I noticed was in Da Hui, the final 2 seconds are a cheap copy of " bloodstains" ...but it's only 2 seconds. :D

ThunderPX
09-08-2011, 11:29 AM
No but you see, it's punk rock so it must be based on a Bad Religion song just like how everything bouncy sounds like Green Day.

samseby
09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
[...] ...so others won't be influenced? :D

Don't know ...

The more one digs into it (music in general) the more one will surely come across certain riffs or parts of lyrics or whatever that do sound kind of familiar. I have no idea how many bands are out there or how many records are being released every year ... so I guess it gets harder and harder to come up with something you know entirely "new" and groundbreaking and different. Still it happens ;).

Moose
09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
rfrg has some good songs on it...but you cant really doubt the offspring borrowed some ideas for a few of the songs on it...more so than on prior albums...significantly more.

maybe you can blame bob rock for some of it...but it still is the offspring who are deciding what to put out there.

Antonioffspring
09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
No, you can't. You really can't. Nickelback? Nsync? The Cure? Casualties? Cars?

You're seriously stretching on most of these. The only one that was heavily influenced is Rise and Fall.
Oh, common, you can. You can play a guessing game. Also, if you can't figure it out, you are not very advanced music listener or you don't pay attention to details and what's going on here or what happened around RFRG era. I really don't why I must discuss abbreviation.

And I don't see how saying "not too much" is stretching things. I don't listen to MCR, but some people were complaining. Everyone notices different things...

rfrg has some good songs on it...but you cant really doubt the offspring borrowed some ideas for a few of the songs on it...more so than on prior albums...significantly more.

maybe you can blame bob rock for some of it...but it still is the offspring who are deciding what to put out there.
Yeah, you are right about RFRG. But, if it's more we really don't know. The thing that has changed is that they are getting influenced by very big bands. I barely remember something that Americana was influenced by Santana though. Dexter was having an interview and he named some bands. We don't know how many not very popular bands influenced them in the past, but then it seemed more natural. The first album is obvious, Noodles was joking about how they ripped TSOL off. But, then a bit later in the 90s you don't really know if you didn't listen to lots of smaller punk bands. This is kinda tricky.

Even the science works like that. You study what's already invented and then you work on it and make it better and invent more things. So I don't think it's tragic. It's a bit different with music, you just have to find the balance.

This is the band's politics, I don't think it's good going against it. Otherwise you are kind of stopping being a big fan. But, I think it's beneficial for both sides to find a balance.

btw Americana, Get a job it's Beatles obla di dada. Feelings that's a cover. It's kinda funny that maybe it has always been like that. Beatles is as big as it gets. :D So let's enjoy whatever they make. :)

Llamas
09-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Oh, common, you can. You can play a guessing game. Also, if you can't figure it out, you are not very advanced music listener or you don't pay attention to details and what's going on here or what happened around RFRG era. I really don't why I must discuss abbreviation.

lol. I love it when people try to make the "if you don't understand me, you must not be very educated" argument. itz supr awsm wen pl typ lek disn den dey dunundastan y pl dunundastan'm. I studied music in college, so I think I'm a bit more "advanced" with music than the average Joe. I wasn't really interested in re-reading all the previous posts to try to figure out which bands you were talking about. I saw way too many lazy abbreviations and stopped reading because it was annoying. I don't feel like taking extra time to figure out your abbreviations just because you didn't want to take the extra time to write a few extra letters. H A I S A E W I U? W D Y T O T?

And I don't see how saying "not too much" is stretching things. I don't listen to MCR, but some people were complaining. Everyone notices different things...

People notice things where there is nothing. People said Half Truism sounded like Helena because they thought MCR invented half time. OMG the Offspring's chorus goes into half time - SO DOES MCR's!! RIP OFFFFFF!! *eyeroll*

Yeah, you are right about RFRG. But, if it's more we really don't know. The thing that has changed is that they are getting influenced by very big bands. I barely remember something that Americana was influenced by Santana though. Dexter was having an interview and he named some bands. We don't know how many not very popular bands influenced them in the past, but then it seemed more natural. The first album is obvious, Noodles was joking about how they ripped TSOL off. But, then a bit later in the 90s you don't really know if you didn't listen to lots of smaller punk bands. This is kinda tricky.

BigFish
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
This thread has become a horrible pulsating mutation of what it should be about...

offsrx
09-09-2011, 08:42 PM
It is about influences. They made a new song based on FF's song. They wouldn't come up with it without FF.

Well, you can abbreviate Nirvana and Coldplay. It goes like this:
8.N - Maybe Green Day
(11.LHFRB - I don't know, it's ska and that's always the same )

...so others won't be influenced? :D

Oh come on, please???
This is extreme.. You can go to nowhere with this.. If so, then EVERY song from the Offspring is an "influence from somewhere else", or "stolen", etc shit..
The only one that has been mistaken(but not influenced) is rise and fall. That's it. Now that thing happened with november song, but they changed main riff, and it sounds original now

bouncingcoles
09-09-2011, 11:15 PM
The things people argue about on these boards is such a waste of time. i dont know why i even go on these boards anymore

samseby
09-10-2011, 06:00 AM
[...] So let's enjoy whatever they make. :)

Exactly!

So BOT: Lyrics - anyone, by any chance? ;)

personal_loans_1
09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Meanwhile I still haven't heard THAT FF song.

Antonioffspring
09-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Oh come on, please???
This is extreme.. You can go to nowhere with this.. If so, then EVERY song from the Offspring is an "influence from somewhere else", or "stolen", etc shit..
The only one that has been mistaken(but not influenced) is rise and fall. That's it. Now that thing happened with november song, but they changed main riff, and it sounds original now
I'm not trying to say that they ripped someone off, just got influenced and people notice it. Just wait for the new album and you will see people pointing at things and some of them will be angry. It's just a fact. I mostly enjoyed RFRG. The new album isn't even out and people point at FF. I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to discuss it, I want to know why it happens.

You want to say that Rise and Fall was a mistake because it was overly influenced. Well, overly influenced = ripped off? They didn't get sued by Green day so you can't really say ripped off or stolen. What do you mean by mistaken? :D

ThunderPX
09-10-2011, 09:01 AM
The difference: when Splinter came out people were saying some of the songs sounded like AFI. And yeah, for example, "The Noose" sounds like it could have been written by AFI if you think about it. But the new song doesn't just sound like it could have been written by the Foo Fighters, it sounds like a specific song by the Foo Fighters. Same deal with Rise & Fall and American Idiot.

What's not to understand about it?

Antonioffspring
09-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah, a nice point of view. For me, Takes Me Nowhere is like it could be written by Bad Religion. It's like they implemented their soul and sound, not any particular riff.

Fix You is an interesting case. That's what I'd call an experiment or an intention to gain new fans. It's influenced by Coldplay's lyrics and their sensuality. It's not like you want to find any specific song.

I think that when a song is not very good and it reminds you of other band, then it makes some fans angry, they stop being huge fans.

In Half-truism, they went for a particular song, but apparently it wasn't as obvious as Rise and Fall.

bighead384
09-11-2011, 09:29 AM
If I were listening to The Offspring perform this song as a producer, the first thing I would say is "it sounds too much like the Foo Fighters". I guess the producer or whoever didn't have the balls to say it.

samseby
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Talking about "influences" / "resemblances" and stuff:
Came across these lately:

Rod Stewart: First cut is the deepest - Incubus: Promises, Promises
The Riffs: Lesson No 9 - The Boys: First time
White Stripes: Seven nation army - RHCP: The adventures of rain dance Maggie

I'm not saying that they got much in common but still these song remind me of one another ...
Not a bad thing or so either - just an observation. ;)