PDA

View Full Version : My boss loves 'the Offsprings'

keonii7
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
So I work for a news agency in China, and sometimes when I'm editing, I put my headphones in and blast some Offspring.

One day I forgot I had it running, and I when asked my boss a question about one of the sound bites on Libya or wherever, he put my headphones on, and heard Million Miles Away.

So he goes, "Wah, this is good music! Give me a copy of this!" For the past few days, the guy has been playing Offspring songs right off his computer- it's awesome and hilarious to be in a room filled with Chinese news and Offspring.

Felt like sharing. Made my week.

Antonioffspring
09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Is he Chinese? Please, tell me that Communists love The Offspring. :D

keonii7
09-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Is he Chinese? Please, tell me that Communists love The Offspring. :D

He's Chinese AND the news agency is China's official state media.

jacknife737
09-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Ha, that's pretty rad: punk is getting fairly big in China (there's been a couple cool docs about it on PBS), i guess when one lives in a strict society, it's only natural to wish to turn to aggressive music for an outlet.

Antonioffspring
09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Pretty big market. They could sell a billion albums there, but they would only get a grain of rice per album. :D After Gringo Bandito, there is a potential for a rice business. :D Red Bandito. :D

keonii, are you a Chinese American, I'm wondering why would you be there? But, I guess American and Chinese economics are interconnected a lot.

keonii7
09-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Ha, that's pretty rad: punk is getting fairly big in China (there's been a couple cool docs about it on PBS), i guess when one lives in a strict society, it's only natural to wish to turn to aggressive music for an outlet.

Very true. It can't get too big for obvious reasons, but the language barrier helps (for once) because it keeps punk culture safe haha

Pretty big market. They could sell a billion albums there, but they would only get a grain of rice per album. :D After Gringo Bandito, there is a potential for a rice business. :D Red Bandito. :D

keonii, are you a Chinese American, I'm wondering why would you be there? But, I guess American and Chinese economics are interconnected a lot.

Non-pirated copies of movies and music CDs are pretty hard to find here- they don't have a best buy or anything. Not too much money to be made for punk bands :(

As for me, I'm a white guy, and I always get stuck singing Pretty Fly for a White Guy at karaoke (huge weekend activity here). I'm just here because I randomly studied Chinese.

personal_loans_1
09-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Hah, how nice. It sounds like +1 000 000 for positive work atmosphere, another 1 000 000 because it happens in China.

Red Bandito? I'm for it.

Omni
09-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I really do appreciate how some Asian countries are all about the Offspring despite probably not being able to understand a word of it besides the whoas.

personal_loans_1
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Although culture of Asia is pretty distinct and kinda isolated I don't think they ignore how important english is nowadays, at least no more than others non-english speaking countries.

I wonder if they know offspring in north korea, or it's that bad. Poor folks.

Lord_Gabo
09-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Hah, how nice. It sounds like +1 000 000 for positive work atmosphere, another 1 000 000 because it happens in China.

Red Bandito? I'm for it.

I want order Red Bandito Rice!