PDA

View Full Version : RHCP I'm With You

Llamas
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone else check it out yet? I'm listening to it now, will post a reaction soon.

cool 2 hate 681
09-06-2011, 03:12 PM
yeah i did it's ok the monarchy of roses is my favorite song from it

Lupin
09-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I've been a RHCP fan for almost my entire 20 years, since BSSM, and i was looking forward too this album alot.
I loved the band with Frusciante, i also loved the band with Hillel and Navarro. The Klinghoffer era has given me (and everyone else) in my opinion a fairly bland album, I like it because its the chilis, kinda.

Omni
09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I haven't listened to it all the way through, even though I picked it up on launch day. I've listened to it up until the single. The first two songs I liked, and the single is the only song so far I've absolutely loved. Lackluster album, in my opinion, but not "bad." The fact that I am not even inspired enough to continue listening is a bad sign, though.

Llamas
09-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I honestly haven't gotten all the way through the album yet. I think I've made it to track 10... and then I lose interest.

I'm the last person to bitch that a band has changed their sound; I typically embrace experimentation and change, as I love variety in music and get bored when albums sound the same.

This album, though... well, it's fully uninspired, to begin with. The lack of Fruciante isn't even what's "missing" - the new guy is totally holding his own. But the songs. Well.

First of all, there's just nothing actually new here whatsoever. By the Way was vastly their most diverse work... Stadium Arcadium had a shitload of songs to work with, but there was definitely a decent amount of new stuff there. They tried to force some new stuff in here, with the keyboard, touch of electro stuff in ONE song, and Anthony shouting in another... but mostly, it's just the same ol' songs... they sound like they could've been on one of the last few albums and blended in as filler songs. Yep, it kinda sounds like an album full of filler.

Then there's the fact that some of the songs are just downright annoying.

Gonna listen all the way through and comment on each track. Dunno why. Nobody will read it. :)

I really can't stand Monarchy of Roses. What a horrible way to start the album.

Factory of Faith is one of the better songs, but it's still nothing new whatsoever, minus the electro bit toward the end (which I do like). It'd be a great song if everything about it wasn't so recycled from their old albums.

Brenden's Death Song is really annoying... the melody is boring and grating. Plus the song is just way too long for what it is. It feels like they were trying to write one of those "epic" build songs, but they just totally failed. And its placement on the album is all wrong. Should not be track 3.

Ethiopia is just more boringness.

Annie Wants a Baby - I honestly didn't even realize that Ethiopia had ended and this song had started the first two times I listened through the album. These songs honestly just suck.

Look Around is better than the last two - little bit of the old school rap-singing from Anthony. It sounds like it's gonna go somewhere cool, and then it... just doesn't. The chorus is awful, and so are the guitar parts.

The Adventures... is the best song this album has going for it. It's genuinely a *good* song. However, when the best song on an album is just "good", that's not a good sign. It's one of the weakest singles they've ever released, just above Dani California and Aeroplane.

Did I Let You Know is one of the more unique songs here, with the trumpet and the kinda cool guitar part. However, it sounds like they were forcing it. It doesn't feel natural in the slightest. Better than some other songs, though.

Goodbye Hooray has a very nice chorus, catchy stuff. I actually do like this song. One of the few I'd come back to.

Happiness Loves Company is really bad. They tried to to change things up with a keyboard, but it's just such a mid-tempo crap song that just kinda shuffles along without direction. There's no build, nothing happens.

Police Station is awful. Just awful. Possibly the worst song.

Even You, Brutus? is okay. The shouting is interesting and could grow on me, and the keyboard is incorporated better here, rather than as an intended gimmick. Still kind of a mid-tempo bore, but it's not so bad.

Meet Me at the Center = Yawn. There are no words for how boring this song is.

Dance, Dance, Dance is such a boring way to end an album. Usually they pick great closers for their albums... Venice Queen, Road Trippin... this is such a disappointment.

----

Conclusion: 4 out of 14 songs I don't dislike? Yeah, that's bad.

coke_a_holic
09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not really a secret that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of the most boring bands in the music biz... I've really learned to hate them over the last few years and always take time out of my schedule to complain about them on the internet/at my friends/at nearby cars. I really fucking hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Kiedis thinks he's a great songwriter/singer, when his lyrics are nonsense and his singing voice is irritating at best. Their toothless music vaguely implies funk, when, in reality, it's just modern rock music with a little slap bass. The abilities of Flea and Frusciante were never enough to save the terrible, obnoxious, and repetitive songs they wrote together. This wouldn't bother me so much, except I once read an interview where Kiedis said his band was "the only band doing anything interesting anymore." Since then, it has been full-on crusade. Grawrghrgh.

Anyways, new album, definitely am not going to listen to it. It sounds like it's probably really shitty.

Jakebert
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm more or less here to echo what you just said. The Chad Smith/Fruscante/Flea line up was one of the best musical combos in mainstream rock music but despite whatever technical ability they had, they were pretty boring songwriters together, and since Californication they've been writing the same album over and over again, and in Stadium Arcadium's case, they decided to write it twice for the same release.

Kiedis is also one of the worst front men in rock history. There's a lot of songs on Californication (and most Chilis albums, but that's the one that stands out the most to me) that I think could be really good until Kiedis opens his mouth and refers to himself as a "big poppa" or starts singing fake Chinese.

I haven't heard the new album yet, and I'll probably give it a shot, but everything I've been reading is that it's the exact same album they've been recording for almost 12 years now but with clunkier guitar parts.

Retard
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Man am I glad I came here.... agree with the two people above me 100%

Llamas
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Kiedis thinks he's a great songwriter/singer, when his lyrics are nonsense and his singing voice is irritating at best. Their toothless music vaguely implies funk, when, in reality, it's just modern rock music with a little slap bass. The abilities of Flea and Frusciante were never enough to save the terrible, obnoxious, and repetitive songs they wrote together. This wouldn't bother me so much, except I once read an interview where Kiedis said his band was "the only band doing anything interesting anymore." Since then, it has been full-on crusade. Grawrghrgh.

They honestly are a hopelessly arrogant band, which drives me nuts. Anthony and Flea are by far the worst offenders. Flea's outburst over people downloading Stadium Arcadium when it leaked a few weeks early was enough to erase any respect I had for him. Anthony's attitude about the band has never been much better. But Anthony has always been worst part of the band. I'm a fan, but I've ALWAYS thought they'd be a million times better with a different singer. Their lyrics are atrocious, and Anthony can't sing. He just can't. He was okay as a "rapper", or whatever you call that in Give it Away... but he can't sing. But their music has often been good enough to make up for him, in my opinion. I like the musicianship of the other three enough.

I'm more or less here to echo what you just said. The Chad Smith/Fruscante/Flea line up was one of the best musical combos in mainstream rock music but despite whatever technical ability they had, they were pretty boring songwriters together, and since Californication they've been writing the same album over and over again, and in Stadium Arcadium's case, they decided to write it twice for the same release.
I fully disagree about By the Way - that album was nothing like Californication or Stadium Arcadium. SA was a pretty lame album (though the second disc is considerably better than the first), but By the Way is probably the best, most diverse an creative album they ever released. It was far better than Californication or SA.

Kiedis is also one of the worst front men in rock history. There's a lot of songs on Californication (and most Chilis albums, but that's the one that stands out the most to me) that I think could be really good until Kiedis opens his mouth and refers to himself as a "big poppa" or starts singing fake Chinese.
More agreement about Kiedis. His lyrics make no sense and are just so damn arrogant that it drives me nuts. Sometimes I do wonder how I'm able to overlook how awful he is when I listen to their music, because I *do* like them.

Omni
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
SA was a pretty lame album (though the second disc is considerably better than the first)

I think if you combined the best songs from both discs, you'd have 8 or 9 of the best songs they've ever written. Sorry, I quite like Dani California. Catchy little tune, it serves its purpose.

I think SA was set up to be one of their best albums, but they got too ambitious.

Llamas
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I think if you combined the best songs from both discs, you'd have 8 or 9 of the best songs they've ever written.
Which songs would those be? It totally had some really good songs (mixed in with all the crap), but the best they've written? Dunno about that.

Sorry, I quite like Dani California. Catchy little tune, it serves its purpose.
Dani California sounds like a big mix of their last few big singles - mostly Fortune Faded and By the Way, both of which were better songs. Plus those songs didn't sound exactly like a Tom Petty song.

I think SA was set up to be one of their best albums, but they got too ambitious.

I definitely could agree with this, but I'd say they got too arrogant. They could've continued in the vein of By the Way and made another killer album, but instead they decided they were too kickass to narrow down their song list. They released an album of 28 fucking songs. Come on. I don't think they were too ambitious - they would've written all 28 songs regardless; they just chose not to scrap any because they thought each song was awesome enough for release (I remember them saying so interviews).

Omni
09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I think Dani California, Snow, Hump de Bump, Tell Me Baby, Hard to Concentrate, 21st Century, She Looks to Me, and Readymade are all awesome songs. Yeah, I know, Snow ((Hey oh)). Fuck me.

nieh
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Their toothless music vaguely implies funk, when, in reality, it's just modern rock music with a little slap bass.

I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing. I always thought they were better as an alt-rock band than a funk/punk band. I agree completely that he's a terrible lyricist, but lyrics are far and away the last thing I pay attention to when I'm listening to music, so I'd be a hypocrite if I hated them and not some other bands for the same reason. The fact that they're arrogant, the fact that Anthony Kiedis maintained a long-standing grudge against Mike Patton and threatened to pull out of headlining major festivals when he found out one of Patton's bands was scheduled to play because he supposedly stole his DANCE MOVES way back in 1989, the fact that Flea's rant about people downloading Stadium Arcaidum sounded like it was written by a high school drop out all make them come across as kinda douchey people, but doesn't really change the fact that they've written a number of awesome songs over the years.
On the other hand, they're one of the most inconsistent and overrated bands out there, and their ability to maintain both critical and commercial success for such a long period of time kind of baffles me considering on average their albums have about 15-20 minutes of solid material despite being 3-4 times that length, you'd think people would have caught on by now and they'd be moved more to the sidelines by this point. There's 2 exceptions to that: Californication and By the Way are the closest they've come to releasing anything that could actually be considered great albums in that more than half of each album was very good, but even those had bum tracks on them.

Lupin
09-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Come on. I don't think they were too ambitious - they would've written all 28 songs regardless; they just chose not to scrap any because they thought each song was awesome enough for release (I remember them saying so interviews).

Million Miles of Water, Whatever We Want, Lately, A Certain Someone, Mercy Mercy, Funny Face, I'll Be Your Domino, Joe & Save This Lady are all the Bsides from SA, and some should've been on the album.

Omni
09-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I've never listened to any of those, Lupin, but I have a hard time believing they wrote as many quality songs for any other album besides SA. It really could have been their best, but they wanted to write the next Wall or Mellon Collie. The highs on SA may not be as high as the ones on By the Way or Californication, but if they had just kept the 12 best songs, it could be their most consistent album of all time.

the fact that Anthony Kiedis maintained a long-standing grudge against Mike Patton and threatened to pull out of headlining major festivals when he found out one of Patton's bands was scheduled to play because he supposedly stole his DANCE MOVES way back in 1989

I thought it was also over rapping style? Either way, Mike Patton is so good it's almost superhuman, an idiot can see that. If anything Mike Patton does happens to mirror Anthony Kiedis, it's called an off day.

WebDudette
09-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Man, I used to listen to them waaaay too much. I listened to Stadium Arcadium a lot when it came out.

I'm not sure if I can explain how I feel about them now. They're just so obscenely mediocre it's aggravating. I mean, I can stand listening to others peoples bad music, at least there is some entertainment in that, but I just have to cringe when I hear Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I listened to the new single, it's more of the same, doubt I'll be checking out the album.

Anthony's biography is actually pretty hilarious and entertaining though.

Llamas
09-08-2011, 06:46 AM
I just put on By the Way to reminisce about how good this band has been at some point. Edit: just popped it on, and realized the only songs I don't like on this album are Universally Speaking and I Could Die for You. Can't Stop got way overplayed, and Zephyr Song isn't that great... but then you have This is the Place/Dosed/Don't Forget Me... and Throw Away Your Television/Midnight/Cabron/Tear/On Mercury. The last three tracks are good, too, but those two song groupings are just wonderful. This is truly a great album.

I think Dani California, Snow, Hump de Bump, Tell Me Baby, Hard to Concentrate, 21st Century, She Looks to Me, and Readymade are all awesome songs. Yeah, I know, Snow ((Hey oh)). Fuck me.

I'm going to listen through Stadium Arcadium afterward. I'll let you know what I think of these songs. I never listened to that album enough to know how good the songs are based on title.

I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing. I always thought they were better as an alt-rock band than a funk/punk band.
Exactly. They released four entire albums of that crap, and BSSM is the only one that's really listenable... though all four albums kinda sound the same. No *there* is an example of them writing the same album 4 times. Their albums since Californication, though, have been much, much more interesting. I hate it when people call them a funk band, true... but I like them as an alt rock band with slap bass.

On the other hand, they're one of the most inconsistent and overrated bands out there, and their ability to maintain both critical and commercial success for such a long period of time kind of baffles me considering on average their albums have about 15-20 minutes of solid material despite being 3-4 times that length, you'd think people would have caught on by now and they'd be moved more to the sidelines by this point. There's 2 exceptions to that: Californication and By the Way are the closest they've come to releasing anything that could actually be considered great albums in that more than half of each album was very good, but even those had bum tracks on them.

I wonder this ALL THE TIME. Okay, this is their 9th release. The first three are enjoyed by very few - the diehard fans. Most fans have long ago written One Hot Minute off as junk and don't listen to it. Many fans also wrote off Stadium Arcadium, but we'll keep that in (not including this new one, though, cause we don't know how it'll fare). That means they've written four quality albums BSSM, Californication, By the Way, Stadium - in 20 years. I'm with the majority, too, that these are the true RHCP albums. I never listen to One Hot Minute, and never really enjoyed the first three. And when you look at each of these albums up close... BSSM gets really boring halfway through. Besides the occasional ballad, the album is the same thing all the way through. I've rarely been able to listen to the thing all the way through. And I doubt anyone can listen to SA straight through. They really have made TWO excellent albums. Two.

However, the number of albums is less important than number of huge, huge singles. I mean:

Fight Like a Brave
Higher Ground
Give it Away
Under the Bridge
Suck my Kiss
Warped
My Friends
Aeroplane
Scar Tissue
Otherside
Californication
By the Way
Zephyr Song
Fortune Faded
Dani California
Tell me Baby
Snow

I mean, that's not even all the singles they've released - those are the big hits. Sure, some come off albums that are less than stellar, but that's a lot of successful hits for one band. And singles are what matter in this pathetic music industry.

Llamas
09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

This album is actually considerably better than I've ever given it credit for. It has some lame crap like Charlie, Desecration Smile and She's Only 18... but there's a good amount of good stuff here, too. Torture Me and Strip My Mind are pretty good. Especially in Michigan has a really pretty melody.

-Still don't like Dani California much.
-Okay, I do really like Snow. It's a clever, simple, smooth pop bit. I dunno if I'd call it one of the best songs they've ever written, but it's very good.
-Hump de Bump is probably the most fun song on Disc 1. It doesn't hold up to the fun songs on the last two albums, though. Television, Can't Stop... way better songs.
-Tell Me Baby is decent. I like the chorus, but the verses are kinda lame.
-Hard to Concentrate IS one of the best songs they've ever written. I completely agree there. It's wonderful. The riff and guitar solo, the background... Anthony's vocals are nice and subdued...
-I've always liked 21st Century. I could be inclined to agree that it's one of their best songs. I love the bass riff coupled with the high hat... and John just nailed the guitar in this song. It's really class.
-She Looks to Me is alright, but nothing amazing.
-Readymade has always annoyed me. It reminds me of She's Only 18. I don't like either song.

Jakebert
09-08-2011, 12:13 PM
the fact that they have a buttload of quality singles just underscores how obnoxiously inconsistent that they are. they can write solid stuff if they really want, but as a whole they have really bad instincts as songwriters and keep tons of superfluous crap on each album.

i still remember hearing BSSM the first time and being really excited because it has this great reputation, then getting like halfway through the album and just being incredibly bored. i still don't remember what any of the last like 6 songs sound like even though i've listened to the album many, many times.

the biggest issue i have with them overall is that when they have weak songs on an album, they aren't just weak they're embarrassingly bad. "hump de bump" being my favorite go-to example.

Llamas
09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
the fact that they have a buttload of quality singles just underscores how obnoxiously inconsistent that they are. they can write solid stuff if they really want, but as a whole they have really bad instincts as songwriters and keep tons of superfluous crap on each album.

This is mostly true. In my opinion, By the Way is the only consistent album they have. It also spawned the most singles, I believe, which is logical for such a good album. Even Californication has a bunch of crap on it that I never liked.

i still remember hearing BSSM the first time and being really excited because it has this great reputation, then getting like halfway through the album and just being incredibly bored. i still don't remember what any of the last like 6 songs sound like even though i've listened to the album many, many times.
I think I already said so in this thread, but I feel similarly about that album. It's kind of a big blur and gets super boring.

the biggest issue i have with them overall is that when they have weak songs on an album, they aren't just weak they're embarrassingly bad. "hump de bump" being my favorite go-to example.

Hump de Bump isn't that bad, ha. I could link some of their songs that pretty much make my ears bleed, but I won't go there. They're definitely an inconsistent band in a lot of ways.

ThunderPX
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
I like One Hot Minute better than BSSM. Yeah, I just said that.

yarock
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Ohm is my favorite too. Never understand why it's being treated like a stepchild.

I just listened Rain Dance once. Not considering to listen the rest.

Omni
09-08-2011, 04:23 PM
This album is actually considerably better than I've ever given it credit for.

Who could blame you? You have to wade through a marsh of filler to see that there is actually almost 12 full songs of a great album hidden in there. It's like some kind of game they decided to play with the fans. I think Stadium Arcadium is their best album if you go by number of good songs, but the worst of the Frusciante era if you go by percentage of songs that are any good.

-Still don't like Dani California much.
-Okay, I do really like Snow. It's a clever, simple, smooth pop bit. I dunno if I'd call it one of the best songs they've ever written, but it's very good.
-Hump de Bump is probably the most fun song on Disc 1. It doesn't hold up to the fun songs on the last two albums, though. Television, Can't Stop... way better songs.
-Tell Me Baby is decent. I like the chorus, but the verses are kinda lame.
-Hard to Concentrate IS one of the best songs they've ever written. I completely agree there. It's wonderful. The riff and guitar solo, the background... Anthony's vocals are nice and subdued...
-I've always liked 21st Century. I could be inclined to agree that it's one of their best songs. I love the bass riff coupled with the high hat... and John just nailed the guitar in this song. It's really class.
-She Looks to Me is alright, but nothing amazing.
-Readymade has always annoyed me. It reminds me of She's Only 18. I don't like either song.

I guess I'm actually just a fan of their kind of upbeat, poppish, even silly stuff. They write some really good hooks, and with the crap lyrics (I love Hump de Bump, but come on. It's just stupid gibberish), and sub-par singing (according to everyone else, I actually never minded his voice), that's really what the Chili Peppers have always been about to me. It's been awhile since I listened to SA, maybe I'll go back and take a closer listen to the other songs you said were decent.

nieh
09-08-2011, 05:25 PM

I had basically this exact same reaction. So many people listed it as one of their favorite albums ever, and I liked some of the singles, so I figured I'd buy it and didn't wind up liking more than like 15-20 minutes as I said before, and it draaaaags on for an hour and 15 minutes. I think that might have been the first time I was ever really let down by an album I had spent money on.

Omni
09-09-2011, 07:42 PM
The four singles were the only songs of BSSM I liked. Well, I'm sure there are one or two more in the mix that I'd enjoy, but I have yet to sort it out like I did Stadium Arcadium. I don't really reckon the payoff will be worth it anyway.

ThunderPX
09-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I generally just listen to the first 11 tracks off BSSM, but I can especially recommend "I Could Have Lied" and the title track apart from the singles.

bouncingcoles
09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
i think they should write some songs that dont sound like something soccer moms would want to hear. they should write some real funk/punk/whatever type songs. they should take some chances instead of writing radio friendly crap all the time.

Outerspaceman21
09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I heard the first single off of it. It sounds pretty good, but really wasn't amazing. Never was much of a RHCP fan, though.

Omni
09-12-2011, 07:24 PM
If you're any kind of fan of the Chili Peppers, I don't understand why you wouldn't like the single. It's very them, and they do it very well. I guess I don't understand why people are giving it mediocre reviews like they were expecting something way different.

The rest of the album, though? Not one song is as catchy or fun as the single.

Retard
09-13-2011, 10:20 AM
I've like a couple of singles here and there. Loved the video for Californication, I could probably leave it on mute though mostly.

martin_theoffspring
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
i saw them the sunday, was incredible. I liked monarchy of roses and factory of faith
http://youtu.be/AK_jFyhmZMA
amazing

pd: flea signed my ticket and my bass

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1065/foto0150u.jpg

cool 2 hate 681
09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
wow that's really cool:) i can't wait to see them live again

Llamas
09-27-2011, 10:11 AM
i saw them the sunday, was incredible. I liked monarchy of roses and factory of faith
http://youtu.be/AK_jFyhmZMA
amazing

pd: flea signed my ticket and my bass

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1065/foto0150u.jpg

What the hell is that, besides "FLEA"?

Live At Slane Castle
11-02-2011, 06:14 AM
I saw them in Frankfurt (October) and it was just fucking amazing. Better than The Offspring for sure. And I think my Offspring show was really great but RHCP are RHCP! :p