PDA

View Full Version : First (or first few albums) you were really disappointed by.

Jakebert
09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Nieh gave me this idea in the RHCP thread (go Nieh!). Anyway, what were some of the first albums you were really disappointed by after having them hyped up.

Pink Floyd- The Wall. I really got into Pink Floyd in high school, but this was one of the last Floyd albums I bought. Obviously this has a huge reputation, but upon listening to it I found that it's just filled with tons of really terrible filler crap and the last 4-5 songs of disc 2 are almost unlistenable. Just a terrible bloated album. It also killed a lot of my love for Pink Floyd and I'm not sure it ever really came back.

Omni
09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
The Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist was a major disappointment. I was 19 when it came out, and the previous year I started holding down a full-time job, so it was only recently that I could buy legal music with my own money. When Tarantula came on the radio, I was really pumped for the album, and it was the only song on the entire record that was any good. This new RHCP record is really bland, but we've been discussing the shit out of that one.

Even though I was extremely young when it came out, Pearl Jam's No Code was a huge disappointment, because when I got old enough to check it out on my own, I heard their first three brilliant albums before I got No Code - which was their fourth. It just blew.

Edit: I really just don't like Pink Floyd, and everyone acts shocked when I say that. And come to think of it, I haven't bothered listening to much beyond the Wall, but with the way everyone talks, that might as well be the only Pink Floyd album in existence. It's allegedly so grandiose and magnificent, but I just don't care for it that much. Should I try listening to the material predating the Wall to find the real charm?

Lupin
09-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Papa Roach - LovehateTragaday. Massive steaming pile of shit.

RHCP - I'm With You. Tears still form in my eyes over this.

Rammstein - Reise Reise. Lack Mutters' everything.

Any Beatles album i may have bothered with. Just overrated imo.

Ella Goulding - Stars, which i got for the You Song cover and hoped the rest of the album would sound similar. I was so wrong i felt like i'd bought AIDS.

Green Day - AI & 21st Century. AI grew on me, but i had kinda looked forward to a more Warning type of sound, and 21st Century was played for about 2 hours before being tossed into a volcano.

RageAndLov
09-09-2011, 06:55 AM
The Gaslight Anthem - '59 sound
It got so hyped up, and the band was branded as a punk rock band, but that couldn't be further from the truth. It's mostly boring I think, and it took years before I classified it as listenable when in certain moods.

I also remember listening to The Ramones - Rocket Russia six or seven years ago. So many in my school went with Ramones t-shirts, so I thought it was a decent band, but I got really disappointed with the album. It was so poppy. It sounded like the same pop music on the radio and on TV which I was (and still am) so extremely sick of.

The first NOFX album. Pretty obvious I guess. It's pure shit.

Ah, of course Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight.
I was in love with the two first albums, and when I listened to MTM for the first time and Given Up came on, I was in bliss, but then the album got worse and worse. I still can't get over that they covered a U2 song. No wait, apparently LP wrote Shadow of the Day themselves.

Alex101
09-09-2011, 07:37 AM
The Gray Race, No Substance and The New America by Bad Religion - those albums were very disappointing. Sure there are some good songs on those albums, but what's disappointing is that Brett Gurewitz doesn't perform on them all (except the that co-wrote "Believe It" on The New America). Sorry, but I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Bad Religion without Brett.

Yours Truly by Sublime With Rome - I've always loved the Brad Nowell-era of Sublime, and when I first heard of "Panic" on the radio, I thought the new Sublime wasn't going to be disappointing, but then Yours Truly turned out to be, partly because it doesn't feature Brad singing.

Ignorance is Bliss by Face to Face - not as good as Don't Turn Away and Big Choice.

...And the Circus Leaves Town by Kyuss - I don't think this was a bad album, but it almost wasn't as good as Blues for the Red Sun or Welcome to Sky Valley. I was very disappointed that they broke up after it was released.

Down on the Upside by Soundgarden - my complaint about this album is similar to the Kyuss album.

Llamas
09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I think the first album I remember buying and just truly despising was Poison's Native Tongue. I was like 14 when I got it and it was just awful the whole way through. I grew up and realized that Poison is just a terrible band and facepalmed myself for ever having bought one of their albums.

I think the biggest disappointment, though, where I had huge expectations was Santana's Supernatural album. We'd played a Santana show in my high school marching band - songs like Oye Como Va and stuff (the good stuff) - and our teacher put the originals on a cassette tape for us to listen to. I adored it, and when Supernatural came out, I ran out and bought it - plus I liked that song with Rob Thomas. But the album was really boring. I only enjoyed like 3 songs and it felt like an album that featured Santana, rather than being his album. Ridiculous disappointment.

jacknife737
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown -

Was expecting the band to continue their trend of mixing up their sound slightly, as they do with just about every album from 39/Smooth up to American Idiot: at the very least I wanted some catchy music. What i got was a bloated mess, lazy songs, awful lyrics, and recycled melodies.

AfI's Crash Love -

I really enjoyed Decemberunderground: but i was just bored with this.

Blue October - Foiled

I had a friend rave to me that this was awesome, i heard claims that it was a good mix of folkish-Americana; sort of like you'd find on a Social Distortion or Johnny Cash record. So i picked up a copy, and found it to be just forgettable: i think i only gave it one full spin: perhaps i was a bit too premature in writing it off, but i seemed like it was nothing but generic altrock.

A couple noticeable surprises in this thread are listings of Gaslight Antehm and Elliot Goulding: but to each their own, i suppose.

Retard
09-09-2011, 10:21 PM
That Old Man Markley record. It was getting really good reviews everywhere I looked, and I was kinda a fan for For Better Or Worse. But it had already been available twice before that, I didn't need to hear almost three times in a row, but after that song, it kinda got a little boring, I've never been the most into country, I keep thinking about if I should give it to my dad for xmas.

bighead384
09-10-2011, 04:18 PM
When Incubus Attacks Volume 1. I didn't know it was a live/acoustic EP. I downloaded "Stellar" and "Pardon Me" from Napster back in the day, so I just went into Best Buy looking to snatch up whatever Incubus album had those tracks. I remember thinking "sweet, it has the songs I want and it's cheaper than the other albums". Somehow I failed to notice that it was an acoustic/live EP. I'm not sure how clearly this is indicated on the album.

Oh yeah, and I didn't know that MxPx's "At the Show" was a live album. I dunno why that didn't dawn on me. Sometimes the mistakes I am prone to making aren't really from a lack of intelligence...it's almost like I just "thought of it funny" or failed to focus on something important that a normal person would. I know that sounds like total crap, but I swear, there's a difference.

AfI's Crash Love - I really enjoyed Decemberunderground: but i was just bored with this.
I'm dead serious: Out of all the albums I've listened to at least several times, I don't think there's a single one with less melodies that have stuck with me.

dff_punk
09-10-2011, 05:02 PM
AfI's Crash Love -

I really enjoyed Decemberunderground: but i was just bored with this.

Funny, to me, it was the complete opposite. Decemberundegound seemed "meh" to me, but Crash Love is imho a decent record.

cool 2 hate 681
09-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Yours Truly by Sublime With Rome - I've always loved the Brad Nowell-era of Sublime, and when I first heard of "Panic" on the radio, I thought the new Sublime wasn't going to be disappointing, but then Yours Truly turned out to be, partly because it doesn't feature Brad singing.

i agree yours truly is a really awful album

Retard
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM
That Lostprophets album that came out after Start Something. I still listen to that album occasionally and It's still a good album, when the other one came out I was pretty deep in the loving start today pool, so I bought it expecting something in that vain..... no it wasn't like that at all, which i would of been fine with, if they didn't just make some sihtty pop record.

holland25
09-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Metallica's St. Anger
Everything Mudvayne did after The Beginning of All Things to End
Blink-182's Selftitled

Llamas
09-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Everything Mudvayne did after The Beginning of All Things to End

Oh! Shit, I totally forgot all about Mudvayne... it's been years!
Actually, the End of All Things to Come is my favorite album by Mudvayne, and for this album, I think Mudvayne has always been massively underrated. It's heavy, but progressive. They actually were creative on that album, and it was the only one where they seemed like true musicians, with complex time signatures, and the singer seeming like he understands that screaming is a musical device that should be used at the right times along with singing, rather than just screaming the entire time. Plus the bass work on The End is way better than anything else you'll ever hear in the world of nu-metal.

The stuff before The End was just too much of the same chunky metal with screaming. Nothing really happened in the first two albums and it all sounded almost the same as all other nu-metal.

Lost and Found was okay - I liked a few songs off there - but overall, I felt like they were heading in such a generic, boring direction. I was hoping for more from the next album.

And then I got The New Game and I was just so. utterly. disappointed. There was absolutely nothing on there with an ounce of originality and I never spun that album more than twice. I've noticed that they've released another album in 2009, but I won't even bother. I don't need to subject myself to more disappointment. It's sad when a band with so much potential seems to figure it out once, and then forgets everything.

bighead384
09-11-2011, 08:10 AM
LD 50 is one of the only nu metal albums I still like. Hearing that it is inferior to their later work makes me quite curious.

I think LD 50 is amazing though. It's a prime example of a cohesive album that just flows really well.

Oh yeah, and I was disappointed by all of Pavement's work. Most overrated band in Indie Rock.

Llamas
09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
LD 50 is one of the only nu metal albums I still like. Hearing that it is inferior to their later work makes me quite curious.

I think LD 50 is amazing though. It's a prime example of a cohesive album that just flows really well.

I like LD 50, but the great parts of it are hidden under bad structure. It was written off as just another nu-metal album, but it was much better than that. I think the band honed their skills to the peak of greatness with The End... but I wouldn't recommend checking out the last couple albums they released. If you like this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrZtNyne7o), check out The End of All Things to Come (this is my favorite song by them).

Outerspaceman21
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Was kinda disappointed in the New Bad Religion, Dissent of Man. Overall, It's a decent album, but not as good as I hoped it would be (I fucking loved New Maps, so my expectations were a little too high)

bighead384
09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I like LD 50, but the great parts of it are hidden under bad structure.
What does this mean?

Was kinda disappointed in the New Bad Religion, Dissent of Man. Overall, It's a decent album, but not as good as I hoped it would be (I fucking loved New Maps, so my expectations were a little too high)
I always thought Bad Religion should make more songs that sound like Sinister Rouge and some of the rest of that album. With Sinister Rouge, Bad Religion proved they could make good songs with more of a high energy, driving force type sound which they don't do a lot of if you think about it.

Lupin
09-11-2011, 11:11 PM
What does this mean?

I always thought Bad Religion should make more songs that sound like Sinister Rouge and some of the rest of that album. With Sinister Rouge, Bad Religion proved they could make good songs with more of a high energy, driving force type sound which they don't do a lot of if you think about it.

The Empire Strikes First was a fucking awesome album.

Retard
09-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Nieh gave me this idea in the RHCP thread (go Nieh!). Anyway, what were some of the first albums you were really disappointed by after having them hyped up.

Pink Floyd- The Wall. I really got into Pink Floyd in high school, but this was one of the last Floyd albums I bought. Obviously this has a huge reputation, but upon listening to it I found that it's just filled with tons of really terrible filler crap and the last 4-5 songs of disc 2 are almost unlistenable. Just a terrible bloated album. It also killed a lot of my love for Pink Floyd and I'm not sure it ever really came back.

I've been posting on this other music related board lately, and someone mentioned the wall, and I had said something like, yea man the wall is kinda a bloated piece of shit album, but Animals is great. I've been getting a lotta flack for it, kinda funny. Who woulda thought that the kids on the Odd Future forum were such big Floyd "fans"