PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring considered for The Big 4 of '90s Punk Rock tour

Alex101
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
According to Ultimate-Guitar.com, fans of Facebook have created page called "The Big 4 of '90s Punk Rock" and it's mentioning that they want The Offspring, Bad Religion, Green Day and Rancid to tour together.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/fans_call_for_the_big_4_of_punk_tour.html

I'm pretty sure this is a rumor or just some joke. I'm glad I'm not one of those guys who started these rumors.

mrconeman
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
That'd be really fucking cool actually, especially if the set list contained nothing but their 90's era album material.

Omni
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
They should add NOFX to that, they had a pretty popular record in '94.

Yeah, man. The Offspring should totally do this and play only material from their first three albums. Each of the bands could do that.

ThunderPX
09-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a rumor or just some joke. I'm glad I'm not one of those guys who started these rumors.

Yes, the article is fake. There isn't really a Facebook group. Oh wait, yes there is, it's linked in the article.

Next time on breaking news: Somebody on Twitter suggests to @offspring that they tour in South America.

Alex101
09-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Here's the link to the Facebook page if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Big-4-of-90s-Punk-Rock/244988905541976?sk=wall

Puschka
09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
that would be awesome to se The Offspring and Rancid together!

Gustavo
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
That would definitely be awesome. But, I don't really see the relevance of this, I mean, isn't it obvious that it's just some random fans that created a page for something that they would like see happen, it doesn't mean that there's any negotiation or whatsoever. It's really obvious that this isn't relevant to any of the bands mentioned. Fans are like that, they like to dream about stuff, such as a tour like that, and sometimes they create Facebook pages or campaigns (The Lightning Rod one, for example), sometimes it works, and most of the time it doesn't.

There are only 326 people in this group, I'm surprised that ultimate-guitar.com would post something like this, but I understand it's just to help out the page. But even not ultimate-guitar.com mentions a "rumour", I don't understand why people in this boards would.

Although I think it's very unlikely that something like that would happen, I see no harm in at least spreading the word.

Next time on breaking news: Somebody on Twitter suggests to @offspring that they tour in South America.

Ha, I thought the same thing too.

Flaming Skull
09-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Ahahah, Rancid?!? Come on, NOFX is the biggest and most important punk band out there, and it's been that way from years! Bad Religion is an influential band for NOFX too, but Rancid is nothing compared to them.

The Big Four of Thrash Metal features 4 bands which in 1986 released historical Thrash records which are still considered the top after so many years.
At the same way, apart Bad Religion (which pretty much is the band that invented the classic "So-Cal" punk-rock sound), the Big Four of Punk Rock should feature bands which released important records in 1994 (which for Punk Rock is what 1986 was for Thrash Metal): "Smash" is still on the Guinnes World Record as the best-selling record of all time for an independent label, "Punk In Drublic" contains some of the best NOFX's songs and fans favorite and "Dookie" is the record that started modern pop-punk (I obviously know that it was invented by The Ramones, but between them and Green Day there hasn't been anything big like that), so it's 4 influential band. Rancid has some good songs (only punk, I never stand their ska stuff) but didn't create or re-invented anything or never being influential like the others.

holland25
09-21-2011, 02:28 AM
460 fans? That page is very popular.

Rooster
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
460 fans? That page is very popular.

It blew up to 496 (OMG) members now!

So yeah, they've announced the first date (30th February 2012, Pyongyang), and the tickets are already on pre-sale.

For the love of General Offspring Discussion (aka GOD), don't take this post seriously in any way

Little_Miss_1565
09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
But even not ultimate-guitar.com mentions a "rumour", I don't understand why people in this boards would.

Although I think it's very unlikely that something like that would happen, I see no harm in at least spreading the word.

Ultimate-guitar.com regularly posts 'news items' from this forum, when fans are conjecturing or wishing or just plain talking out of their ass. I wouldn't take them seriously. I certainly don't.

The harm in spreading the word comes when people start taking it as true despite the fact that it was never confirmed officially, and then are enormously disappointed and pissed off at the band when something that was never true is confirmed to be false.

RageAndLov
09-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Ahahah, Rancid?!? Come on, NOFX is the biggest and most important punk band out there, and it's been that way from years! Bad Religion is an influential band for NOFX too, but Rancid is nothing compared to them.

The Big Four of Thrash Metal features 4 bands which in 1986 released historical Thrash records which are still considered the top after so many years.
At the same way, apart Bad Religion (which pretty much is the band that invented the classic "So-Cal" punk-rock sound), the Big Four of Punk Rock should feature bands which released important records in 1994 (which for Punk Rock is what 1986 was for Thrash Metal): "Smash" is still on the Guinnes World Record as the best-selling record of all time for an independent label, "Punk In Drublic" contains some of the best NOFX's songs and fans favorite and "Dookie" is the record that started modern pop-punk (I obviously know that it was invented by The Ramones, but between them and Green Day there hasn't been anything big like that), so it's 4 influential band. Rancid has some good songs (only punk, I never stand their ska stuff) but didn't create or re-invented anything or never being influential like the others.

HAU, is that you?

Antonioffspring
09-21-2011, 03:26 PM
HAU, is that you?
No.

I don't care much about those bands. I know maybe 1 song by Rancid. I like NOFX's 2003 album. I saved maybe 10 songs by Bad Religion. I love Sorrow or whatever it's called. You start deleting songs from the entire discography, at the end you delete them all because they are of a similar quality. It's like with Pennywise too, but one of their album is dominant for me. Not too much talented bands musically, they don't mix styles to make it more interesting. They are good at lyrics I guess, but I don't care about lyrics. Green Day is obviously great, but I don't listen to them, that's an interesting fact. I love Basket Case.

I like The Vandals a lot. Obviously, AFI. I don't like Blink 182 except a few songs. I don't care about trash or classic metal. I like a few Metallica songs. I more into A Perfect Circle. So there you go. :)

mrconeman
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Wait, people actually thought there was a shred of possibility of this actually happening?

Jesus Christ.

bighead384
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I think there's tons of reasons why this wouldn't really happen. I was starting to type a few of them until I realized there's just too many to list. I could, however, see some combination of 2 of these bands touring together.

Lord Phidias
09-21-2011, 10:33 PM
If this ever happens, the Big 4 would be in my opinion:

The Offspring
NOFX
Green Day
Blink 182

Green Day would be like Metallica, Blink like Megadeth, NOFX like Anthrax, and The Offspring like Slayer. I don't know why I made this comparison, It just came to my mind.

Jojan
09-22-2011, 01:40 AM
If this ever happens, the Big 4 would be in my opinion:

The Offspring
NOFX
Green Day
Blink 182

Green Day would be like Metallica, Blink like Megadeth, NOFX like Anthrax, and The Offspring like Slayer. I don't know why I made this comparison, It just came to my mind.

But no one cares about your opinion.

Omni
09-22-2011, 05:05 AM
No.

I don't care much about those bands. I know maybe 1 song by Rancid. I like NOFX's 2003 album. I saved maybe 10 songs by Bad Religion. I love Sorrow or whatever it's called. You start deleting songs from the entire discography, at the end you delete them all because they are of a similar quality. It's like with Pennywise too, but one of their album is dominant for me. Not too much talented bands musically, they don't mix styles to make it more interesting. They are good at lyrics I guess, but I don't care about lyrics. Green Day is obviously great, but I don't listen to them, that's an interesting fact. I love Basket Case.

I like The Vandals a lot. Obviously, AFI. I don't like Blink 182 except a few songs. I don't care about trash or classic metal. I like a few Metallica songs. I more into A Perfect Circle. So there you go. :)

"… And Out Come the Wolves" was a Platinum and important record in the mid-90s. I agree NOFX should be added to such a bill, but they weren't as commercial as Rancid. I really detest Rancid, but I have to give them their due credit.

It would be cool if a lot of grunge/post-grunge bands did this sort of thing. But, as impossibly unlikely as it is in the first place, the fact that Matt Cameron drums for both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden would make it even more impossible.

samseby
09-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Interesting to see what one tiny little facebook group can do :D

Nonetheless it would be an nice thing (& I'd like Social D to be a part of it ;)).

Outerspaceman21
09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I agree that the big commercial 4 were The Offspring, Rancid, Green Day and Bad Religion. All their albums of the time got huge commercial success, more so than Nofx or Blink and they all had more a lasting impact. Sure, bands like NoFX, Blink 182 and Pennywise broke ground and got some success, but I think that was thanks to those 4 bands and their impact on the scene.

Antonioffspring
09-22-2011, 09:35 PM
"… And Out Come the Wolves" was a Platinum and important record in the mid-90s. I agree NOFX should be added to such a bill, but they weren't as commercial as Rancid. I really detest Rancid, but I have to give them their due credit.

It would be cool if a lot of grunge/post-grunge bands did this sort of thing. But, as impossibly unlikely as it is in the first place, the fact that Matt Cameron drums for both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden would make it even more impossible.
I don't care much that it was platinum and why do you agree with me about NOFX? You should have quoted Flaming Skull.

Flaming Skull
09-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Fuck, my post got deleted...

Well, I just said that commercial success is not important for get in the Big 4, otherwise Slayer would never be there. They sell pretty much, but they're definitely not an MTV band. It's just a matter of inspiration.
Just look how many bands out there started out in the style of Metallica, Slayer or Bad Religion, NOFX, Offspring and Green Day...

Little_Miss_1565
09-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Fuck, my post got deleted...

Well, I just said that commercial success is not important for get in the Big 4, otherwise Slayer would never be there. They sell pretty much, but they're definitely not an MTV band. It's just a matter of inspiration.
Just look how many bands out there started out in the style of Metallica, Slayer or Bad Religion, NOFX, Offspring and Green Day...

Just to clarify a point here about the Big 4:

The Big 4 were so named because they were the top 4 thrash metal bands to come out of San Francisco in the 80s, and I'm not sure how popular Slayer are where you're from, but Slayer is a big f-ing deal sales-wise in the US. They also kill (pun intended) on tour, which is probably where they make most of their money. That, and Angel of Death t-shirts.

Exodus and Testament were also big thrash metal bands to come from San Francisco in the 80s, but they haven't sold as well as Anthrax over the years, so they didn't make it into the Big 4 (though I hear Exo was going to replace Megadeth in NYC when they dropped off the bill for a hot minute when Megadave fell ill. But, Megadeth played on).

MTV status has nothing to do with how the Big 4 were selected.

Omni
09-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes, they're called the "big" four for a reason. Because they're really big, commercial success has almost everything to do with it (that and they also just happened to be influential and were among the first, so it works out for them all around. But that's not going to matter in the long run. You never hear about Green River, Mudhoney, or Mother Love Bone in the "big" grunge lists). MTV's perceived influence of bands' popularity is sometimes skewed, I think.

Flaming Skull
09-25-2011, 01:34 AM
The Big 4 were so named because they were the top 4 thrash metal bands to come out of San Francisco in the 80s, and I'm not sure how popular Slayer are where you're from, but Slayer is a big f-ing deal sales-wise in the US. They also kill (pun intended) on tour, which is probably where they make most of their money. That, and Angel of Death t-shirts.

Exodus and Testament were also big thrash metal bands to come from San Francisco in the 80s, but they haven't sold as well as Anthrax over the years, so they didn't make it into the Big 4 (though I hear Exo was going to replace Megadeth in NYC when they dropped off the bill for a hot minute when Megadave fell ill. But, Megadeth played on).

MTV status has nothing to do with how the Big 4 were selected.
I agree. I saw the Big 4 last July and it was amazing. Every band kicked ass (even though I can't stand Mustaine's voice). I'd pick Testament as an eventual 5th to expand the Big4, but Exodus are great too (and Exodus' guitarist Gary Holt replaced Slayer's Hanneman for a lot of shows).

My comment about MTV was because whoever goes there tend to be called "sold out" which is definitely not the case of NOFX (which were excluded in this Big4 of Punk list). Blink-182 sold more than NOFX and Rancid. Also, NOFX sold more than Rancid. But out of these 3, the biggest are NOFX, no doubt about that. Blink-182 owe their success to the success of Green Day's "Dookie". And so does Sum41 which came shortly after.
So again, in my opinion, here are the Big 4 of Punk:
-Bad Religion - one of the most influential punk-rock band ever, godfathers of So-Cal punk
-NOFX - one of the most successful independent bands ever. And they keep being independent, and look how important Fat Wreck Chords has become, while still being an independent label
-The Offspring - still the band with the best-selling independent record of all times
-Green Day - influential pop-punk band, after "Dookie" many bands started out covering them and trying to follow their style...
Rancid are not an important band as those other 4.

Flaming Skull
09-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.
Thanks! I always love when robots finds my posts interesting! :D

Alex101
09-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Apparently, the The Big 4 of '90s Punk Rock thingy has gained controversy because of NOFX not being included.

http://dyingscene.com/news/the-big-4-of-90s-punk-rock-gains-controversy/

And now someone has created a new Facebook page called The Big 5 of '90s Punk Rock featuring The Offspring, Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid and Pennywise.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Big-5-of-90s-Punk-Rock/251951821514732?sk=wall&filter=1

randman21
09-25-2011, 12:05 PM
So when are we gonna talk about the Big 8 of Polka tour? Since we're seriously entertaining obvious rumors and all.

cool 2 hate 681
09-25-2011, 12:46 PM
dying scene is a joke

Krojd
09-25-2011, 12:50 PM
So when are we gonna talk about the Big 8 of Polka tour? Since we're seriously entertaining obvious rumors and all.

This. .

Flaming Skull
09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Fat Mike even insisted that he never wanted NOFX to be as big as The Offspring or Green Day
That's so pointless. Of the Big 4, neither Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer has never been as big as Metallica, nobody else has...but still, they toured together...

Alex101
09-25-2011, 03:37 PM
That's so pointless. Of the Big 4, neither Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer has never been as big as Metallica, nobody else has...but still, they toured together...
Tell me about it...

Flaming Skull
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I mean, everyone in Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer could say "We're never be as big as Metallica"...of course, as Metallica is the biggest metal band...but they tour together no matter what...after all, there must be an headliner...

The funny shit is that Bad Religion are the most influential, with NOFX as a close second, The Offspring should be headliner but Green Day would be...
I'd fuckin' go to such a tour anyway...it'd kick ass as the metal one...

Alex101
10-12-2011, 06:39 AM
A guy named ChrisDude89 asked Noodles on twitter if the rumors of a Big 4 tour were true.

ChrisDude89 asked:

@offspring Is it true that you guys are doing a Big 4 tour with Bad Religion, Rancid and Green Day? I saw this rumor at http://www.greendayauthority.com/news/2639/

And Noodles replied:

@ChrisDude89 I'll be sure to ask about this. -N

http://twitter.com/#!/offspring/status/124005025612709888

Alex101
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Also, The Big 4 of '90s Punk page on Facebook has been deleted, if anyone has been wondering.

PunksKillEmos
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Also, The Big 4 of '90s Punk page on Facebook has been deleted, if anyone has been wondering.

That's strange :confused:

Little_Miss_1565
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM

...because it's fake, yes?

cool 2 hate 681
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
someone asked jay bently from bad religion about it on thebrpage he said he doesn't know anything about it

Tijs
10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I like how Alex101's sources have shifted from Wikipedia to Facebook.

randman21
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I like how Alex101's sources have shifted from Wikipedia to Facebook.
Ha, I just tried to LIKE this.

Alex101
10-12-2011, 04:31 PM
...because it's fake, yes?
Totally fake.

And in case some of you were wondering, I'm not the one who created that Facebook page.

Mr. Punk Pirate
11-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Don't mean to bump this thread but I just saw this question on Yahoo.com.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131102070649AA2aILE

Dulce Maria
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
the offspring
tsol
vandals
pennywise
bad religion
social distortion

#mybucketlist

Mega Man
11-17-2013, 12:30 AM
If you want to put exact numbers on it, here are some RIAA-based stats, from the bands' respective signature albums of the 90s:

Dookie (Green Day) - 10x Platinum
Smash (The Offspring) - 6x Platinum
…And Out Come the Wolves (Rancid) - Platinum
Stranger Than Fiction (Bad Religion) - Gold
Drunk in Public (NOFX) - Gold

The person who made the list excluded NOFX because they "didn't have the same popularity" as the others. Though they're really not too far off from Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction in terms of record sales. But that's not the point; there's multiple variables that go into what makes a band truly memorable that can't possibly be assigned a number (i.e. influence, cult following, audience, etc.). Then again, the true meaning of the list is to appeal to the mainstream, and deliver a lineup of bands that would be most recognizable to the public, not necessarily punk enthusiasts.

Mr. Punk Pirate
11-24-2013, 07:44 AM
The person who made the list excluded NOFX because they "didn't have the same popularity" as the others. Though they're really not too far off from Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction in terms of record sales. But that's not the point; there's multiple variables that go into what makes a band truly memorable that can't possibly be assigned a number (i.e. influence, cult following, audience, etc.). Then again, the true meaning of the list is to appeal to the mainstream, and deliver a lineup of bands that would be most recognizable to the public, not necessarily punk enthusiasts.
The creator of this Big 4 obviously doesn't know exactly who was popular or not. NOFX have been popular for a long time and got the recognition The Offspring, Green Day, Rancid and Bad Religion deserved during the 90's. If I created my own Big 4, I would include NOFX instead of Bad Religion, who I think should actually be in the Big 4 of 80's Punk Rock instead.

Mr. Punk Pirate
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
the offspring
tsol
vandals
pennywise
bad religion
social distortion

#mybucketlist
That would be "The Big 6 of 80's and 90's Punk Rock" lol