PDA

View Full Version : Circumstances where it's okay to start a physical fight

Dwayne Mosley
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Blah blah blah be the bigger man and all that's occasionally true too, I think in a circumstance where someone says to you the most offensive thing they can think of with the intention of provoking an extreme reaction (mentioning a sick relative or a girlfriend/sister in a disparaging way for example) then it's perfectly okay to knock them the fuck out. Also if you get rear-ended and the rear-ender tries to shift the blame onto you when it's clearly their fault, that's one of the most frustrating things I can think of. People at music festivals who go to get drunk and be obnoxious and annoying, they are also fair game, and so are people who put their rubbish in your bins.

Llamas
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Circumstances where it's okay to start a physical fight:

1) When you're an uneducated moron who doesn't know how to solve problems except like a neanderthal.

2)

Dwayne Mosley
09-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh but I suppose beastiality is okay? Not everyone is fighting for the wrong reasons, some of us are smart enough to know better but honest enough to realise that a toe-to-toe showdown from time to time is a great way to release anger and stress and other pent up emotions that would otherwise remain bottled up and erupt at an inopportune moment instead. It's like getting in a good mosh-pit. We just have to pick our battles so that we can justify them to ourselves above all.

bighead384
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM

1) When you're an uneducated moron who doesn't know how to solve problems except like a neanderthal.

Bullshit. Any kind of physical or serious verbal abuse justifies fighting someone. Or if someone is stealing or has stolen your property (the latter being a case where you aren't able to prove it to cops).

Kick someone's ass for being a belligerent asshole, and chances are the belligerent asshole won't beat up on others in the future.

I remember reading some quote, I'm 90% sure it was from one of the guys in Operation MOVE in Philly that expressed a similar sentiment: that non-violence sometimes has to involve confronting those who are initially abusing others, or you're allowing those who are guilty to continue to be violent to others.

Al Coholic
09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Ok, I get that calling your mentally challenged girlfreind a cum guzzling closet dyke is going to start shit.

But putting my trash in your trashcan, really?

Btw, "rubbish"....figures you're british

Jojan
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Never ever.

Omni
09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
When dealing with a bully. I really cannot stand bullies. Now don't get me wrong, I think a person should try to talk their way out of and defuse every confrontation. But some people are out determined to start a fight - usually with people who look weak(er). More often than not, this tends to be someone pretty drunk and unreasonable. No one should have to run away from someone, or be in fear of going out and having a good time because of people like this who think they're entitled to do and say whatever they want to whoever they want with no fear or consideration for consequences.

I'm by no means a violent person. I've gotten into one fistfight in my entire life, and it was when I was maybe ten years old. But scum people like that are not going to learn a lesson unless someone teaches it to them.

And yeah, I could see being upset if you have a normal sized trashcan and someone else fills it to the top with their shit. I would just take it out and put it on their lawn if it was too much. But starting a fistfight? That's the kind of behavior I was just talking about. Who the fuck does that?

coke_a_holic
09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
One time, I got into a fight with some drunk people. They were upset that I asked them to stop singing their native country's national anthem in a crowded Chinese restaurant because it was bothering everyone else. Apparently, them was fightin' words, because they waited in their car for me and my friend to leave the restaurant, then started pushing us around and telling us that we were pussies because we wouldn't fight them.

One dude pulled his pants down and started pissing on my friend's shoes. No joke. It was, like, fucking February and this dude is standing their with his cock out.

So I turned around and said I was getting the police. They ran away.

Pussies.

Jakebert
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I've gotten into one fight in my whole life. It was during a soccer game and some dude decided to punch me in the nuts when we were going for a ball. It wasn't even really a proper fight as much as it was me punching him back.

There are a few situations I can think of where I'd physically hurt someone. If someone were to hurt my girlfriend physically I'd probably hurt them back as much as possible.

A few months ago I was driving with my girlfriend and saw some kid kick his dog for no reason. I almost pulled over the car and beat the shit out of him but my girlfriend stopped me. So I guess seeing someone abuse an animal is enough to send me into a violent rage.

bighead384
09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
There's a few rules of thumb that can be defined with this subject. But there's also a lot of gray area/case by case to this.

XYlophonetreeZ
09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
As long as neither individual is impaired or crazy or carrying weapons, and you're not causing a public disturbance, and the other person involved knows the punch is coming, then what's the big deal? Two adults get a little banged up in order to satisfy natural urges of aggression. Sometimes you may not feel like settling things with words, or you can't. If someone wants to call two guys babies for fighting then that's fine, but I think it's a choice that people should be able to make- with some ground rules.

RageAndLov
09-28-2011, 08:40 AM

2)

This. I would never want to be around idiots like bighead or Dwayne Mosley when they apparently want to fight for no reason.

When dealing with a bully.

One time, I got into a fight with some drunk people. they waited in their car for me and my friend to leave the restaurant, then started pushing us around and telling us that we were pussies because we wouldn't fight them.

I've gotten into one fight in my whole life. It was during a soccer game and some dude decided to punch me in the nuts when we were going for a ball. It wasn't even really a proper fight as much as it was me punching him back.

There are a few situations I can think of where I'd physically hurt someone. If someone were to hurt my girlfriend physically I'd probably hurt them back as much as possible.

But none of you started the fight. You simply defended yourselves (or others) and that's a completely different thing.

Llamas
09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
This. I would never want to be around idiots like bighead or Dwayne Mosley when they apparently want to fight for no reason.
I keep a certain level of intelligence around me. I've never had a friend who started a physical fight, and I never want to. I've met a couple losers who I could tell right off the bat that they'd start a fight if you upset them, but somehow, for some *strange* reason, we never became friends... maybe because they were annoying as hell.

One of them went on to date my roommate. Some time after I met him, he told me that he drives a truck with a huge bullbar on the front and when other cars cut him off or annoy him, he just rams them with the bullbar and drives off. A few months into my roommate dating him, she comes home with a black eye. Apparently she'd upset him somehow, I think she forgot to fill up his truck's tank and when he had to leave it was pretty much on empty... and he smashed her face into a doorknob. Fortunately that was the end of their relationship... but it was sad to see how right I'd been all along about this guy.

But none of you started the fight. You simply defended yourselves (or others) and that's a completely different thing.

Exactly. A lot of you guys are posting about getting into fights you didn't start. Why? The title of this thread is clearly about STARTING a fight.

Jakebert
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
But in my example with the kid kicking his dog, I would have started a fight had someone not let me. I still feel the situation was valid, and I'd be the one starting the fight.

Also, I really do feel there's a large amount of teenagers in America today who really could use a punch in the face. A lot of spoiled, selfish, and arrogent 15 year olds who generally treat others like crap for no reason. Also, punks.

Free?
09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
to raginlovinllamas:

So imagine someone scratching your car. Or beating your dog. Or eating your diploma. Or running away with your wallet. Or shitting in your grandma's stew. Or proposing you to punch his face five times and get five thousand bucks for it.
That's not exactly starting a fight, that's provoking (scratch the last one). Provoking can vary from very slight things like showing a tongue to heavy stuff like raping your child - both of them can potentially make somebody start a fight.

This thread is essentially about what kind of reason is enough for you to start using fists and you know that you have your triggers.

bighead384
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, punks.
Punks? Of all the suburban gangster type kids and Jersey Shore types that have been causing problems for the past 10 years or so, you choose punks? It's literally required to be an asshole of you're either type of the aforementioned people, unlike with punk. The worst a punk will typically do is play some sort of prank or stunt in public. It's really weird that you think this.

Oh yeah, back on topic, you can always give someone a verbal ultimatum too, and let them either apologize or prove even further that they deserve a punch in the face.

Jakebert
09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
No, I mean like punk-punks. Like kids with spiked hair and leather jackets. 90% of kids like this are suburban, entitled white kids rebelling against mommy and daddy by acting like jackasses.

Omni
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
A lot of you guys are posting about getting into fights you didn't start. Why? The title of this thread is clearly about STARTING a fight.

But in my example with the kid kicking his dog, I would have started a fight had someone not let me. I still feel the situation was valid, and I'd be the one starting the fight.

I guess there are some semantics involved here. Standing up for yourself is obviously not instigating the event, but in the event that you throw the first punch, you are in fact initiating a physical fight.

If anyone disagreed with me and took a strict no-nonsense stance against violence, I wouldn't even try to argue or tell them they're wrong. If everyone in the world had that kind of mentality, there's no telling how better off we'd be. But, you really can't leave your fate to the assumption people are going to be good to you or have your best interest in mind with their actions. That's my take on it.

Good topic, by the way.

bighead384
09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Exactly. A lot of you guys are posting about getting into fights you didn't start. Why? The title of this thread is clearly about STARTING a fight.

Well, there's a difference between being the person who initially causes a problem and deserves to get hit and being the person who literally initiates or threatens violence. "Starting a fight", if taken literally, is pretty much never okay. But I didn't take it literally. I took it as initiating or threatening violence to a person doing something wrong as well.

mario_spaghettio
10-01-2011, 06:21 PM
If you say "hello" to someone and they don't respond it's perfectly ok to open a can of whoop-ass on them.

Omni
10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
If you say "hello" to someone and they don't respond it's perfectly ok to open a can of whoop-ass on them.

My cans come in the small, microwaveable variety. The kind with the easy-open pop-top with no can opener involved for speed. You don't get very much, and they're more expensive, but you're essentially paying for convenience.

bighead384
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Circumstances where it's okay to star a physical fight?

How about if someone kills everyone you love and then hits you with a creme pie?

Would anyone disagree that that warrants a knuckle sandwhich?

bighead384
10-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Here's a question: Why is losing a fight so embarrassing to some people?

If a macho jock with a lot of pride gets whupped in a fight, it seems like he takes it like an Olympian who has failed to recapture the gold medal or something.

I would say that a lot of times, one fight isn't conclusive anyway. But you know, people rarely fight twice.

RickyCrack
10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Me first real big one on one fight was last year.
I was 15 he was 17.
He started picking on my little brother.
So i got really pissed of.
I just started punching without warning.
I hit him about 4 times clean in his face.
He was laying on the ground and i just started punching him everywhere i could.
And then my friend pulled me of.

What he dint know that at the time i was the national champ in karate.
I kinda forgot to mention that.

Jakebert
10-03-2011, 09:10 PM
It's okay to start a fight if you break his arm, because then you could say the Offspring is his favorite band.

Llamas
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I almost got in a fight for the first time in my life today.
Daniel and I were at Starbucks today doing our casual smoke and drink a cappuchino bit before work. Me wearing my Fall Out Boy hoodie and girl pants, and Daniel in his Taking Back Sunday hoodie and camo's. Well, this preppy chick and her 2 friends came up and was like "Hey look its the emo brothers. Why don't you go cry somewhere huh?" to that I kicked my chair back making her jump and I was about a foot taller than her,I said "Why don't you go fuck your damn father! Maybe he'll buy you another fuckin Benz! HELL make him scream while he cums and he'll buy you a whole new mansion!". She started crying and ran away. It was a well-deserved yelling at. Even though I hate to see girls crying at my own words I felt good this time.

RageAndLov
10-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Circumstances where it's okay to star a physical fight?

How about if someone kills everyone you love and then hits you with a creme pie?

Would anyone disagree that that warrants a knuckle sandwhich?

It's a bit broader than who throws the first fit, bighead.

Lord Phidias
10-04-2011, 09:22 PM
When someone is being harmed intentionally by someone else.

Lord Phidias
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I almost got in a fight for the first time in my life today.
Daniel and I were at Starbucks today doing our casual smoke and drink a cappuchino bit before work. Me wearing my Fall Out Boy hoodie and girl pants, and Daniel in his Taking Back Sunday hoodie and camo's. Well, this preppy chick and her 2 friends came up and was like "Hey look its the emo brothers. Why don't you go cry somewhere huh?" to that I kicked my chair back making her jump and I was about a foot taller than her,I said "Why don't you go fuck your damn father! Maybe he'll buy you another fuckin Benz! HELL make him scream while he cums and he'll buy you a whole new mansion!". She started crying and ran away. It was a well-deserved yelling at. Even though I hate to see girls crying at my own words I felt good this time.

Lol, I've read this shit before!!!

Lizardus
10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
and so are people who put their rubbish in your bins.
What!? People LOVE it when I put my rubbish in their bins.

T-6005
10-05-2011, 12:49 AM
So I guess I'm known for obsessively long posts. May as well not disappoint and fall directly into this bear-baiting for idiots.

Full disclosure - I've been in two fights in my life that don't include my siblings or my parents, though to be sure those instances that aren't subject to the distinction are probably more full of drama than those which benefit from it. Even so, I don't consider slapping around my brother when he was smaller than I was or picking up my father and throwing him bodily from the house to necessarily occupy the realm of a 'physical fight.'

I actually wrote a thread about the most recent fight in question if you care to look it up.

At this point, I'm actually afraid of fighting. I weigh 200 pounds exactly and I'm also exactly six feet tall. I'm fairly physically fit, and far stronger than I should be for someone who doesn't work out. My point isn't that I'm a big guy, but there is mass there. My point is that none of these should matter, because I've obsessively tried to control my temper for the last few years, and whenever these situations come about I face the same problem. Do I overreact, take the initiative and bring everything I have - strength, weight, reflexes, anger, what speed I might have - down to bear on some asshole? Or do I remember that I've spent almost four years trying to control these very specific aggressive tendencies from being released whenever I feel emotionally and physically pressured?

I could hurt someone. So could you. You could break a jaw, dislocate a shoulder, kick a patella the wrong way, jar a parietal bone loose, twist a finger sideways, shatter someone's ulna, crush a trachea, destroy an eye or an eardrum or wrench someone into unconsciousness or even death.

All that, set against a little caution.

I think the reason for that fear is specifically because of that idea of control. I don't fight much - that much should be obvious - and when I do, I tend to lose all concept of being reasonable. I don't believe in trading punches. I don't believe in 'body shots' or ignoring your junk. I'll pull your hair and bite you. I'll grab you, throw you and break you in whatever ways leap out to me as I'm running at you. In action, parts of people seem to leap out at me in something that's almost a zoom, and I target those. Raise your hand to stop me, why don't you? I'll grab your fingers and break them while I smash your face in with my elbow, knee you in the groin as I get an arm under your shoulder and bear you to the ground before I kick you in the face. And then I'll kick you again, and again. And then some more.

There's that. There's what might be in me. And there there's what might be in you. Or in others.

Let me leave you with this idea from a semi-decent book, The Contortionist's Handbook.

"You lookin' for me to kick your ass?"

Physically, I was no match for him, not by a long shot. But it's funny how guys with nice jobs and German company cars always want to kick your ass. Big tan white guys who lose their hair but hang onto their Alma Mater yearbooks will say they're going to kick your ass.

Nobody ever got their ass kicked while I was in jail. They had filed-down chicken bones or sharpened toothbrushes punched between their ribs, jaws broken by socks full of gravel, corneas split by wet paperbacks tied inside of towels, faces and necks cut by the plastic soles of coutry-issue slippes sharpened on the concrete floor.

Guys who want to kick your ass don't know the look in the eyes of someone who knows how to seriously hurt you or worse, and who doesn't have anything to lose from doing so.

That'll probably be another of the reasons you don't see me in a fight anytime soon. I wouldn't want to fight someone who, when provoked, will be as ruthless as I might be. Worse, I wouldn't want to fight my younger brother. Who, by the by, is a terrifying badass.

It would probably be more useful if, when confronted with potential violence, everyone froze for a second, hesitating. And then had a hearty laugh about it.

Apathy
10-27-2011, 05:45 PM

2)

I would like to comment on this briefly.

I have never been in a fight before, but I have felt like a giant pussy before. I'm not a small guy, (six feet tall 185 pounds) but I have this complete awkward clumsiness with it comes to physical fighting.....I think it might have something to do with being an only child and never being able to wrestle with a sibling. Whenever someone pushes me, or knocks me over or what have you looking to start a fight...I don't have the conditioned response to fight back.

But that's not necessarily a good thing. It's all fine and dandy to say that you should be able to use reason and common sense to talk out any problems you have, and avoid physical conflict. But some people are too stupid for that. If someone is completely in the wrong, and they also happen to be completely oblivious to any other means of negotiation, and they also happen to be hostile, with no signs of stopping? Then I see no reason why you shouldn't fight them. It's the only method they're willing (and able) to understand. (The one major flaw here, is that if you lose, you're just reinforcing that they're right in their own mind.)

I'm willing to bet that many many people have gone through this before. Say you're out at a bar with your girlfriend, and some dude starts talking shit to you, or worse talking shit about her. You can take the high road and ignore them, because surely talking won't help. Or you could fight them. And quite honestly, it all depends on the girl at this point. Some girls will be proud of you for staying out of it. But some girls like a partner that is cocky. Confident. Strong. Won't take bullshit. And that seems to me, to be the perfect opportunity to express those qualities.

So it's partially a masculinity thing I guess, which of course is going to sound very "durr Im a strong man and I beat you up if you dont agree" but I promise to you that it means more than that.

Lupin
10-27-2011, 05:58 PM
when the other guy is obviously a cunt??