PDA

View Full Version : Learn Static Martyr's Opinion On Everything

wheelchairman
09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
No, this is not some quick satire thread to skewer SM momentarily in the public eye. We already did that a while ago, though not in a satire thread.

SM, you got a hobby and a fascination for a topic of some controversy. And I get the impression you feel pegged as a one-conversation pony, of which to some small degree I am responsible for perpetuating. I thought we'd use this thread to explore your interests in topics of less provocative material.

Surely anyone who's read your posts can get the impression that you're well, well-read. Do you venture into fiction every once in a while? Got a preferred genre or author?And if so, what attracts you to aforementioned genre or author?

How about movies? Certainly you must see them. You got a favorite? What sort of things do you appreciate in a movie? (Cinematography? A good story? Awesome action and gore? Quirky humor? a nice cast?)

What would win, the Deathstar or the USS Enterprise D?

When you read non-fiction, do you usually stay within the realm of your primary posting interest on this forum?

If you do, do you usually stay within the religion vs. science dynamic, or do all aspects of religion interest you?

If not, what other non-fictional subjects peak your interests? Enlighten us a little, I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear your insights on it? Or at least I would and the people clicking this thread without thinking it's a satire. (Though I did include the first line in the hope that those looking for that would simply scroll on) Btw, I know this is somewhat related to religions, but have you ever heard of Cargo Cults? The wiki page is interesting enough if you haven't.

Any video game consoles you own or do you prefer pc? Or simply not a big gamer in general?

Which culture makes the best cuisine? Do a lot of travelling?

Anyone else curious about SM's view on something we don't normally hear much about?

p.s. The first person who asks his opinion on Bighead is not half as clever as they think they are, also they suck.
p.p.s. Yes I realize I suck for mentioning bighead out of context, let's hope my sacrifice discourages others from making the same mistake.

WebDudette
09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
What is your opinion on bighead?

Al Coholic
09-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Favorite Simpsons Character?
Most hated food?
If they were going to kill off your favorite character, would you eat a big heaping plate of that food if it somehow saved them?

Static_Martyr
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
lol. I dunno, I think I'm more comfortable being a lurker with vague, unstated opinions. That way you guys can just fill in the blanks with whatever you like and pretend I'm cool! But I guess since you went to all the trouble to type that all out :o

WARNING: LONG ASS POST. 2 of 'em.

Surely anyone who's read your posts can get the impression that you're well, well-read. Do you venture into fiction every once in a while? Got a preferred genre or author?And if so, what attracts you to aforementioned genre or author?

Well for one I'm flattered that anyone thinks of me as "well-read." I actually have a very small book collection that I've only been building for a couple of years, I mostly have nerdy shit like manga and some comic books. So I won't go into that as far as fiction. Fiction novels? Used to, but not really anymore. There was a time (circa 2006) when I had read everything Stephen King had ever written, but that was mostly because I liked these two books by him (Insomnia and The Shining) and brand-imprinting kind of did the rest of the work for me. I stopped reading him after he finished the Dark Tower series; felt too much like he was ripping off JR Tolkein and HP Lovecraft (what's with the initial dudes?).

How about movies? Certainly you must see them. You got a favorite? What sort of things do you appreciate in a movie? (Cinematography? A good story? Awesome action and gore? Quirky humor? a nice cast?)

Movies? Well again, I'm kind of a nerd in that area so most of my DVD collection is either cartoons (of the "Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog" and "Family Guy" variety), anime (of the "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "Fullmetal Alchemist" variety), band DVDs (I have like 23509 DVDs of the Ramones in concert, plus 2 or 3 Bad Religions, some Bouncing Souls, ZZ Top, The Offspring's video collection, and some other stuff), and documentaries (The God Who Wasn't There, Flock of Dodos [about the Dover ID trial], and a bunch of science-y stuff).

As far as actual movies, though? Not really a whole lot. Jacob's Ladder was a favorite for awhile, I got into it through Silent Hill 3 (which was chock full of references). Ditto for Session 9. I like weird artsy movies that make no sense. Like those rorschach inkblots that make you see whatever you want to see in them. That's one of the reasons I liked Evangelion and Persona: Trinity Soul, I guess. I've actually seen more movies than I own, though; I also watched almost every Stephen King movie known to man in my Stephen King phase, though I've forgotten most of them. I used to have Rock 'n' Roll High School, just because I was obsessed with the Ramones around that same time. So yeah, pretty much anything excessively goofy or weird/interpretive. But not over-the-top interpretive, not too artsy.

What would win, the Deathstar or the USS Enterprise D?

Not really a Star Wars/Star Trek fan, so I'll go with "Death Egg" instead; that was Dr. Robotnik's Death-Star shout-out from Sonic 3 for Genesis. For years I thought it was the other way around, just because I played sonic first :o

When you read non-fiction, do you usually stay within the realm of your primary posting interest on this forum?

Yes and no....the last few books I bought were written BY atheists, but they don't necessarily relate to atheism. Sam Harris' "The Moral Landscape" is more about the nature of morality and what we base it on (and is written in such a way that it could appeal to religious and secular people alike), and Richard Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker, while it does have some potshots at Creationists, is actually more about the intricate details of evolution and has basically nothing whatsoever to do with religion. But those are the obvious ones; just reading some stuff off a random shelf of my bookcase:

-Biology 101 (Smithsonian Series)
-Complete Idiot's Guide to Algebra
-Complete Idiot's Guide to Chemistry
-Carl Sagan's Cosmos
-An Introduction to Molecular Neurobiology
-Neurobiology
-Programming for the Absolute Beginner

As you can see, my primary interest is in neurobiology and the human brain (I'm hoping to one day go for a degree in neuroscience). Religion/philosophy is more of an offshoot of that, although I will say that studying religion (rather, the claims people make about religious experiences, and the difference between how they evaluate those claims versus how they evaluate non-supernatural claims) is what originally lead me to an interest in neurobiology.

If you do, do you usually stay within the religion vs. science dynamic, or do all aspects of religion interest you?

Well, perhaps due to recent experiences (long story short: I was put in a situation where I wanted to make myself believe in a god really, really, REALLY badly, to the point where I was all but bashing my head against the wall and screaming, "believe it you bastard, BELIEVE IT!", and yet I couldn't quite pull it off), I have gotten more into reading the various holy books lately. I'm about 1/3 of the way into Judges in the Old Testament as part of my "Read The Bible In Its Entirety" project, though it's slow going as I tend to drift in and out of attention when I try to read it at length. So I have to break it into small chunks in order to really get it all. When I finish (probably next year sometime, lol), I plan to do the Quran/Koran as well.

Also, watching various movies/playing various games which delve into explanations of the supernatural as more ultimately-mundane phenomena (such as, for example, "gods" turning out to be just mindless facets of the universe that, while still beyond our understanding, are no more malevolent or benevolent than the laws of physics themselves) has gotten me more interested in exploring how and why religions appear and prosper or die off. I'm starting on a book, "Lost Christianities," by Bart D. Ehrman, which goes into all the different individual sects of Christianity that existed before Constantine came along and basically destroyed all of them. What little of the original Christian doctrine still exists today is radically different from the widely-varying spectrum that existed near its birth, and it's almost all due to human intervention and manipulation. So while I can confidently believe that contemporary Christianity is basically the product of human whim and manipulation, I have to wonder if there was ever originally any truth to the myth, and exactly how much of what we see today is based on it.

If not, what other non-fictional subjects peak your interests? Enlighten us a little, I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear your insights on it? Or at least I would and the people clicking this thread without thinking it's a satire. (Though I did include the first line in the hope that those looking for that would simply scroll on) Btw, I know this is somewhat related to religions, but have you ever heard of Cargo Cults? The wiki page is interesting enough if you haven't.

I am a science nerd, in case the above response didn't make that clear enough :D I guess you could say I dabble in the arts a little bit, but nothing serious. I do record music (obviously), I have seven or eight EPs that I've done by myself and "released" on the internet, so I'm always looking for new instruments to try, new ways to record (preferably cheap ways, lol) and new bands/sounds to experiment with. I also have a sort of interest in the actual technology of recording, but that delves more into my science nerdiness; it's kind of an angle of incident between science and music, I guess. I also used to write fiction, but as I got older and started getting into Real Life, it started to seem less and less daring and adventurous, and more and more lame and pretentious. I mean, I do have an original story I hope to finish one day, but it's on the backburner until I can get a steady career going; I haven't worked on it at all since March of last year.

Static_Martyr
09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Any video game consoles you own or do you prefer pc? Or simply not a big gamer in general?

Oh hell yeah! I own:

-Nintento: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, GBA, GBA(SP), DS
-Sega: Genesis, CD, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Saturn
-Sony: PSX, PS2, PSP

Anything with Sonic The Hedgehog in it, I'm guaranteed to try at least once (except those shitty Sonic & Mario at the Olympics games....not even I'm shameless enough). Silent Hill series (up to 4 anyway, I never did get any of the newer ones), Resident Evil (up to 4, as I don't currently have any next-gen systems), Metroid is a big plus. Games by the developer Atlus are (almost) always good --- especially the Shin Megami Tensei series (which consists of mainline "SMT," and the spinoffs, "Persona," "Digital Devil Saga," and "Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha"), even if it is frustratingly cheap and needlessly difficult at times; SMT games almost always have a good story to compensate for shitty, repetitive gameplay. The Star Ocean series (before Till The End of Time, which felt like they took the series and ran it through the Shitty Anime Filter, complete with Lame Plot Twist That Would've Been Surprising If It Hadn't Been Done 200 Times In The Last 10 Years). Big time Zelda fan, though less so in recent years (I was kinda disappointed in Twilight Princess). Also love the developer Treasure, they make great sidescrollers like Gunstar Heroes and Guardian Heroes (both of which got somewhat toned-down GBA sequels). Try and find Guardian Heroes for the Sega Saturn for less than $150 today! I just happened to get it for my birthday when I was like 10, and I still have it. It's the prized possession of my Sega collection~

I do have some PC games but they're mostly either crappy ones like Black & White (which I got when I was like 12 for 10 bucks from Wal Mart) or MMORPGs (only two actually, just Diablo 1 and 2, which I haven't touched in probably 10 years). My PC is pretty weak when it comes to gaming.

Which culture makes the best cuisine? Do a lot of travelling?

I want to one day....one of my original plans was to teach English in a foreign country. Maybe Italy, Germany or Japan (axis powers, lol). I dunno what my fascination is with those three countries; Italy has good food (of course), I'd love to learn how to cook over there....Germany just has a fun language, and of course everybody I've ever met from Germany is pretty cool, and I know jack shit about the culture there so that would be fun to get to know....Japan, it's weird how similar to the US they are in many ways. I guess I mostly find the language a challenge, and also trying to eat with chopsticks & such. I think that would piss me off after awhile. Anyway, it's easy to eat cheap over there as well, with all the rice & seafood. They have like 346089346 different ways to cook rice. How can you not admire at least that?

What is your opinion on bighead?

Dunno. All I know is, I always imagine Grimace sitting at a computer and typing all those things.

Favorite Simpsons Character?

Do the Simpsonified celebrities count? Cuz I really don't watch the show that much anymore, but I remember one time The Ramones were on there, and another time where Dr. Phil was on there. I don't like Dr. Phil in real life, but he was pretty funny that one time. It was a Halloween episode though, so he got eaten by Homer and never came back.

Most hated food?

Bitter stuff. Really, anything bitter. I don't mind not-sweet things, but things that are not only not sweet but actively bitter, I can't stand them. Can't think of anything off the top of my head. I always seem to eat salty foods as well.

If they were going to kill off your favorite character, would you eat a big heaping plate of that food if it somehow saved them?

Nah. For one, my favorite characters tend to be one-shots (most of whom are killed off in the same episode in which they appear), and two, I don't really watch the Simpsons that much anymore so I don't really care that much :p

Omni
09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Bitter stuff. Really, anything bitter. I don't mind not-sweet things, but things that are not only not sweet but actively bitter, I can't stand them. Can't think of anything off the top of my head. I always seem to eat salty foods as well.

Ugh, warheads. I can't stand anything sour/bitter myself.

RageAndLov
09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Would a world without religion be a better world?

Free?
09-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey Tim, did you beat Ninja Gaiden 3 (NES)? If so, which one of the trilogy is your most/least favorite. Any chances that you might cover some of NG themes (might give plenty of suggestions, but basically everything from NG and NG2 will work)?

Also, what's your message to your fans?

Static_Martyr
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Would a world without religion be a better world?

All other things exactly the same? No. I do believe that religion is man-made. But man made it for a reason, so even if we got rid of it, if the flaws inherent in humanity that brought it forth in the first place are still present, then we'll still have the same sorts of problems, even if they manifest as something other than religion. A lot of newly-atheistic people, for example, suffer from this sort of problem --- they don't believe in god anymore, really, but they're still in that worshippy mindset where they feel they have to find someone to cling to and blindly obey. It's a process that's sort of inherent to the human condition, I think --- even punk kids do it with their bands, sometimes. They religiously worship and elevate people from their favorite bands as if those people had access to some "higher knowledge," instead of just learning from them and respecting them as other human beings with good ideas. I mean, try to imagine a world run by hardcore kids! Not a pleasant place to be.

Hey Tim, did you beat Ninja Gaiden 3 (NES)? If so, which one of the trilogy is your most/least favorite. Any chances that you might cover some of NG themes (might give plenty of suggestions, but basically everything from NG and NG2 will work)?

Hell yeah! I beat the whole series on Wii Virtual Console (I still have my autosaves set on the "The End" screens, I'm afraid to move them for fear I could never get back to them again :o). The first one was by far the hardest/worst, for two reasons: (1) everything after a certain point kills you in 1 hit, (2) if you die in the room RIGHT BEFORE the final boss, you respawn at the beginning of that room. If you take ONE STEP into the actual boss room, and then you die, you respawn at the beginning of the entire level. I call bullshit. Other than that, it was pretty satisfying to finally beat it legit after 15+ years (I beat it once before like 10 years ago on an emulator, using save states).

Best is probably a tie between 2 and 3; 2 was almost too easy (maybe that was just because I'd just finished 1 though...), and 3 was just right, but the limited continues kinda threw me off. I liked it once you learned the levels inside and out, though, cuz you could go through and grab all the 1ups in each level and have like 6 lives in the last area. I never could finish the last area with just one life, because you have just enough time to beat all the traps and pits exactly right, and I always ended up hesitating and dying from the zeroed timer.

As far as covering NG songs....never really thought about it. I'd have to go back and give the soundtrack a listen. I actually do have several video game covers planned (I wanted to do some of Sonic Adventure 2's soundtrack, which was one of the best Sonic soundtracks I've heard in awhile, at least on Sonic's levels), but nothing set in stone at the moment as I'm working on "Album," a re-recording of around 16 songs selected from over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm trying to do only originals on that one though. I was thinking of doing a cover comp after that that I can pour all of my b-sides and weird wonky video game covers into. Maybe Snakeman's theme from Mega Man 3.

Also, what's your message to your fans?

Fans? Well, I guess my message would be, "I didn't realize you existed!" I mean seriously, there were only like 3 people who ever actually read my band topic, and since I quit updating it as much, I don't hear much from them (as I've lost the primary outlet through which they could actually *give* me feedback). When I first started recording I was hoping to get a band started up, but as time goes by and I get involved in other things that take up more of my time, it's become more of a personal hobby and less of a groupthink type thing. Notice I've had significantly less songs about fucking people's bloody gums since I quit recording with GANM in late 2009 :cool:

Also I can never seem to find people who are actually interested in the entire process of being in a band from start to finish --- songwriting, arranging, recording, practicing, and performing. I only seem to attract people who are in it for the image, who want to be famous, or who just want to be in a band so they can say they're in a band and tell all their friends (and not actually do any of the work of writing songs....or, ya know, learning instruments....).

[/digression]