PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like the band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?

Jason_Voorhees
10-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Really underrated band. Very talented and don't get the credit they deserve.

They turn old, boring songs into great punk rock tunes!
If no one has heard them, I highly suggest you go to youtube and check out some their songs. They are all members from different bands. The bassist is Fat Mike from NOFX, there are also members from Swingin' Utters, No Use For A Name, Lagwagon, Foo Fighters.

Highly recommended songs by them:

"Annie's Song"
"Goodbye Earl"
"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?"
"Heart of Glass"
"I Believe I Can Fly"
"I'll Be There"
"Different Drum"
"Uptown Girl"
"Danny's Song"
"Hats Off To Larry"
"I Just Called To Say I Love You"

check out any of those songs, guaranteed you'll love this band too.
Let me know what you guys think.

RageAndLov
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
No. Pop songs covered by a pop punk band sounds like a really bad idea.

Retard
10-04-2011, 09:21 AM
All outta love was played at my friends wedding the other night, we all had a circle pit at the wedding. It was fucking glorious.

Jason_Voorhees
10-04-2011, 09:50 AM
All outta love was played at my friends wedding the other night, we all had a circle pit at the wedding. It was fucking glorious.

Haha nice!! I love that song.

jacknife737
10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I think they're a lot of fun: I really enjoyed their latest "Japanese" Ep.

Static_Martyr
10-04-2011, 03:02 PM
No. Pop songs covered by a pop punk band sounds like a really bad idea.

One man's bad idea is another's goldmine :D

Anyway, I just discovered this band like two days ago, I stumbled upon their version of "Hava Nagila" on Youtube. I thought I recognized Fat Mike's voice in the background so I wiki'd them and I was right! I normally hate cover bands, but for this case I'll make an exception as they actually change the songs somewhat, instead of doing bland one-to-one covers.

Llamas
10-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I actually like Me First, even though I agree with Rageandlov in theory. Their covers are fun and interesting, rather than just straight-up, predictable pop-punk covers.

Bazza
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I bought 'Take a Break' seven or eight years ago on CD not really knowing what to expect. I found all the covers fun and easy to sing along to. I especially liked the fact that it was a 'super group' (depending on what circles/genre that you're in), that gave it an increased feel of funness (if such a word existed).

Retard
10-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Take a Break to me is the only one of their albums that really feels like an album. I love everything they've done, but the first two were kinda just comps of all the a-sides to weird seven inches they did. Seen them twice, and they were great both times. Hopefully they come around again soon.

Jason_Voorhees
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Take a Break to me is the only one of their albums that really feels like an album. I love everything they've done, but the first two were kinda just comps of all the a-sides to weird seven inches they did. Seen them twice, and they were great both times. Hopefully they come around again soon.

Their 2006 release, "Love Their Country" was the first CD I ever owned by them, now I own them all. "Love Their Country" is a CD I suggest you listen to, it's phenomenal.

Retard
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I have it. Bought it the day it came out. Saw them like a day or two later. Met Fat Mike that night.

Jason_Voorhees
06-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Honestly. This band doesn't get enough credit.

Jojan
06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I was going to see them, but then Fat Mike's mother had to die so the cancelled that tour.

Homer
06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Own all of their albums; have all of their B-Sides, demos, and rarities (including a 7" that had a very limited release); and listen to them very regularly.

Yeah, they're alright.

samseby
06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Like them too :)
Nothing Compares To You :p

Edit:
Shouldn't that be moved to "Other Bands"? ;)

Jason_Voorhees
06-27-2012, 02:27 AM
I own every CD of theirs except Sing In Japanese. I didn't really care for it.

My favorite CD is Love Their Country, I could listen to that and Take A Break all day.

They have a lot of incredible songs that aren't any of their albums, but should be... like Hats Off To Larry, I Will Always Love You, I Just Called To Say I Love You, Ben. I know they are on the EPs but they should be on the CDs.

Jaytard
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Haven't heard alot to be truthful. Big fan of NOFX though. The cover of I believe I can fly is awesome but then again anything Fat Mike touches to gold in my eyes aha. Dude is a legend.