PDA

View Full Version : Atom Willard has left Angels & Airwaves

cool 2 hate 681
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/angels_airwaves_to_release_love_part_two_nov_11_at om_willard_leaves_band?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=altpress

jacknife737
10-04-2011, 03:44 PM
The dude is going to be running out of bands to join soon: he's played with so many.

Tijs
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Why is everything about this band gay? LOVE part 2... To The Stars Records... Tom DeLonge...

Omni
10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
He's still in Social Distortion, isn't he?

cool 2 hate 681
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
He's still in Social Distortion, isn't he?

no he left social distortion in march of last year

Llamas
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Angels and Airwaves is still a band? lol.

I get the feeling that Atom is just chasing fame and money. I'm not a fan of his.

mrconeman
10-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I get the feeling that Atom is just chasing fame and money.

Then what was he doing in The Offspring circa 2003, and what was he doing in Angels and Airwaves circa ever?

bouncingcoles
10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
i wonder if he finally realized that band fucking sucks...

Jakebert
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
So pretty much what happened when he left the Offspring.

Sorry, someone had to do it. Move along.

Retard
10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Then what was he doing in The Offspring circa 2003, and what was he doing in Angels and Airwaves circa ever?

Angels was fucking huuuge when We Don't need to Whisper came out, after that they kinda jumped the shark. I can see why he left Offspring to be in AVA full time, he left Social D for the same thing, or at least i think that's what I read at the time.

Omni
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM

The Offspring have never had a record that flopped until this last one (and the very first one in 1989, if you want to be technical), and the first AVA record went Gold, so it looked like for a second maybe they had a future.

Atom seems to be just a session drummer masquerading as a real band member. He never felt like an actual member of the Offspring to me for some reason, so I never really warmed up to him.

Well, it is the music "business," I won't blame him for going where he thinks the money is/will be, or to hop from band to band until he finds the one he thinks is the best fit. His divorce rate sure is high, though.

cool 2 hate 681
10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Atom seems to be just a session drummer masquerading as a real band member. He never felt like an actual member of the Offspring to me for some reason, so I never really warmed up to him.

i did which was why it really sucked when he left i was just getting over ron welty leaving in 2003

Little_Miss_1565
10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Why all the hate for session drummers?

bouncingcoles
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Angels was fucking huuuge when We Don't need to Whisper came out, after that they kinda jumped the shark. I can see why he left Offspring to be in AVA full time, he left Social D for the same thing, or at least i think that's what I read at the time.

AVA just had a lot of hype because Tom Deslong made it sound like it would be the second coming of jesus. a few months after the album came out people realized they sucked and stopped caring.

bouncingcoles
10-05-2011, 02:19 PM
The Offspring have never had a record that flopped until this last one (and the very first one in 1989, if you want to be technical), and the first AVA record went Gold, so it looked like for a second maybe they had a future.

Well, it is the music "business," I won't blame him for going where he thinks the money is/will be, or to hop from band to band until he finds the one he thinks is the best fit. His divorce rate sure is high, though.

ya so CO1, splinter and RAFRAG all undersold compared to past albums. i wouldnt say RAFRAG was a flop considering YGGFK was a pretty popular song and got more attention than any of the singles off of CO1 or splinter.

Omni
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
ya so CO1, splinter and RAFRAG all undersold compared to past albums. i wouldnt say RAFRAG was a flop considering YGGFK was a pretty popular song and got more attention than any of the singles off of CO1 or splinter.

Conspiracy of One and Splinter were Platinum and Gold, respectively. I think Conspiracy of One may have actually sold enough copies to be 2x platinum, even though the RIAA hasn't recognized it, yet. Hard to tell. You can't honestly go into the studio expecting sales like Smash and Americana.

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid definitely saved the last album. The album itself didn't sell very well at all, though. But truthfully, with the state of the record business, it was to be expected. This next album will fare even worse, although I'm hoping for another Gold single or two.

Tijs
10-05-2011, 04:56 PM
But truthfully, with the state of the record business, it was to be expected.You just mentioned one of the reasons why RAFRAG shouldn't necessarily be considered as a flop. If an album's success is determined by the amount of physical sales, then yes, it flopped.

Other than that, Conspiracy Of One had 11 years (oh shit, that long ago?!) to achieve as many sales as it has today, and Splinter had had 8 years. RAFRAG's 'only' been out for 3 years.
I don't know how many albums CO1 and Splinter sold after 3 years of their releases, but still, it would be in different internet-times.

Another way to determine if an album flopped or not, is to look at the intentions. RAFRAG was promoted FAR less than CO1 and Splinter. I don't think the band is really trying to make another highly successful album anymore. I don't have the feeling they're trying to be 'Green Day'-big. (Oh fuck, I hope I wouldn't lower myself to actually make the Green Day comparison, but anyway.. you get the point.) So if you're not aiming to make a successful album, and the album doesn't sell very high numbers, then it's not a flop. Right?

nieh
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
RAFRAG sold more copies than Splinter and YGGFK was their highest charting single ever, so to call it a flop is a huge, huge overstatement just because it sold 1.9 million copies as opposed to the 12 million copies Americana sold.

jacknife737
10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Plus again: general context of the music industry: sales of albums are universally plummeting.

Not to mention that people's listening habits are changing: to lots of people, the concept of the album isn't all that important anymore: they just want singles.

mrconeman
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM

What I meant by that is, Atom is still playing *relatively* dignified music, yes AVA are a complete embarrassment, but if Atom was really looking at this from a strictly business point of view, he'd find someone like Rhianna and drum for her. I'm sure there's plenty of musicians out there playing in terrible pop groups making an absolute fortune because they're a million times more financially rewarding than actual bands.

He's clearly playing in bands that he enjoys.

Retard
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
AVA just had a lot of hype because Tom Deslong made it sound like it would be the second coming of jesus. a few months after the album came out people realized they sucked and stopped caring.

I still kinda like the first one. It's not amazing, I wouldn't even say its flat out good. It's alright, it's an album i definitely don't tell people I listen to (for the most part obviously). But I know a bunch of people that consider the first one actually a good album. But yea a lot of fans left after it came out, I had bought the second one out of necessity then sold it like a month later. But he had stayed in the band because they all had believed that they were making something important.

Omni
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Other than that, Conspiracy Of One had 11 years (oh shit, that long ago?!) to achieve as many sales as it has today, and Splinter had had 8 years. RAFRAG's 'only' been out for 3 years.
I don't know how many albums CO1 and Splinter sold after 3 years of their releases, but still, it would be in different internet-times.

Conspiracy of One went Platinum five weeks after its release, which is why I'm pretty sure it's at the two million mark and just hasn't been updated. I'm not sure how long it took Splinter, but I know it was a Gold record when I started listening to the Offspring in 2004. They'd all sold about as much as they were going to after three years.

Another way to determine if an album flopped or not, is to look at the intentions. RAFRAG was promoted FAR less than CO1 and Splinter. I don't think the band is really trying to make another highly successful album anymore.

This is true, I don't think the band really feels like they have anything to prove at this point, and they really shouldn't. But the promotion for Splinter was also fairly nonexistent also, I remembering many people on the forums complaining about that very thing when I first registered; "lack of promotion has killed this album."

RAFRAG sold more copies than Splinter and YGGFK was their highest charting single ever, so to call it a flop is a huge, huge overstatement just because it sold 1.9 million copies as opposed to the 12 million copies Americana sold.

RaF,RaG did outsell Splinter abroad, I keep forgetting that. But it only sold around half as much domestically, and more people buy records in the US than any other country. Not to mention the USA is their home soil to begin with.

Maybe calling RaF,RaG a flop is an overstatement, and probably not the right word. But there are plenty of rock bands out there still attaining Gold records, even if Platinum or multi-Platinum are becoming less and less common.

Yes, I know that You're Gonna Go Far, Kid was a runaway hit. But there's a difference in Conspiracy of One and Splinter underselling Smash and Americana, and RaF,RaG underselling Splinter and Ignition. Gold and Platinum records are still respectable milestones. You can't honestly go into the studio with expectation of 5x and 6x Platinum for every record, you just can't. For a band with a large, established fanbase, and for almost two decades worth of history for releasing records that all went Gold, 310,000 seems pretty low.

Ah, damn. Flop really was too powerful of a word, wasn't it? I guess it's just hard to believe how much the music industry changed between 2003 and 2008, it really has become a completely alternate universe. I guess it gets to me sometime that Splinter only sold 86,000 records its first week, and still managed to go Gold within a few months. And here less than five years later, the next record can't even come close to doing the same thing. It just feels very bizarre.

Actually, I just looked it up on RIAA's website. It only took two months for Splinter to move 500,000 copies.

0r4ng3
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Why all the hate for session drummers?
I don't think they're hating on session drummers, I think they're just saying that Atom was pretending to be something he isn't. Or...pretending to not be something he is?

Omni
10-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah, no problem with studio drummers. Josh Freese rules, who could possibly disagree?

Little_Miss_1565
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't think they're hating on session drummers, I think they're just saying that Atom was pretending to be something he isn't. Or...pretending to not be something he is?

Are y'all sure he was "pretending" and not that everyone attached a bunch of meaning to him (unnecessarily) because there was so much (unnecessary) drama around Ron leaving?

0r4ng3
10-06-2011, 03:31 PM
You do have a point. Maybe "pretending" wasn't the right word. Still, if I recall correctly, he did join to be a permanent member and not a touring drummer, so everyone went along with it.

It is, of course, still entirely possible that he fully intended to be a permanent member but it ended up not working out. These things happen.

cool 2 hate 681
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM
it looks like atom took part in a rocket from the crypt reunion on yo gabba gabba http://bit.ly/n0eZyr

jacknife737
10-16-2011, 05:20 PM
it looks like atom took part in a rocket from the crypt reunion on yo gabba gabba http://bit.ly/n0eZyr

Are they back for good? Or is this reunion just like a one-off sort of thing?

cool 2 hate 681
10-16-2011, 06:37 PM

i think it's just a one off sort of thing

john reis looks really different since i last saw him

Alex101
10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Sadly this was a one-off. The band insists that they have no long-term plan.

http://dyingscene.com/news/rocket-from-the-crypt-reunion/

cool 2 hate 681
10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
i told atom on twitter we want a rocket from the crypt tour in 2012 and he told me to standby:) http://twitter.com/#!/AtomWillard/status/126021916430565377 hopefully this is not the last we see of RFTC:)

Alex101
10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
i told atom on twitter we want a rocket from the crypt tour in 2012 and he told me to standby:) http://twitter.com/#!/AtomWillard/status/126021916430565377 hopefully this is not the last we see of RFTC:)
Well, the band says they will likely never perform again. So, I hope they change their mind too.