PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs is DEAD

Homer
10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Shit...

www.apple.com

Llamas
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Still not a fan of Apple products, but this is definitely sad news. He was a relatively good person considering his role/job - very rare to see this. And as much as I dislike the products, definitely one of the most successful innovators of our time.

Jakebert
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
...yet another Job killed by Obama.

JohnnyNemesis
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
As was expected of him, he kept it under wraps until the last second.

Retard
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Bummed that he died cuz it's always a bummer when someone dies, but they didn't need to interrupted Jeopardy to tell me that.

bighead384
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
"iDead"

What do you think about people who joke about when celebrities die?

It's kind of annoying to me, but then part of me just feels like people are just trying to make light of death because it's such a serious and hard to grasp thing.

coke_a_holic
10-05-2011, 11:36 PM
They're probably just the only people ballsy enough to say what everyone else is thinking.

personal_loans_1
10-06-2011, 05:34 AM
"iDead"

I'm dying from laugher.

Jojan
10-06-2011, 05:58 AM
I hope this makes Apple open up. I do not know why it would.

Tomasisko
10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
iSad............

personal_loans_1
10-06-2011, 08:34 AM
iSad............ That one, I second.

My Name Was Taken
10-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I saw this on the news this morning. He'll be on the cover of the next issue of TIME magazine.

Llamas
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I made my earlier post very late at night, and I kinda disagree with myself, haha. I really don't get all this hype. He was the CEO... he didn't invent the ipod, iphone, ibook, whatever... he managed things and clearly was a good director. However, everyone is going on about how he invented and innovated all this stuff... I'm seeing posts about how his invention of the imac changed their lives... how whenever they listen to their ipods, they will think of him and how great his invention was... etc... he founded the company and probably did a good amount of innovating in the 80s, but in the last couple decades? He was a highly paid manager with a crapload of authority.

People are acting like Apple will cease to invent any new successful products now that he's gone... but the developers haven't gone anywhere. Apple will more than likely change very little. CEOs step down all the time. They quit. They get replaced. They die. And companies live on. The only difference is that he and the company he founded are famous.

My Name Was Taken
10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I heard something on the news when he left apple about him not being very involved in apple’s recent products. He had input, but other people were doing most of the work. Inventing and junk.

bighead384
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
They're probably just the only people ballsy enough to say what everyone else is thinking.

There's people like Rush Limbaugh who have this ignorant mentality, and then their are liberal tools who conform to typical liberal thought, lie to themselves, and are afraid to tell it like it is.

I'm the happy medium.

*pats self on back

Little_Miss_1565
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Llamas, Steve Jobs was a bit beyond a normal CEO. He was heavily involved with all things design and marketing, inside and out, for all Apple products during his tenure. That's why there's so much to-do about his passing.

Al Coholic
10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
It's more than that.

He was an American icon. A role model for entreprenuers. He's Donald Trump without being a douchebag.

ThunderPX
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
It's more than that.

He was an American icon. A role model for entreprenuers. He's Donald Trump without being a douchebag.

Also, he actually made money.

Homer
10-06-2011, 10:01 PM
what

Uh... no? Jobs wasn't necessarily an inventor, but rather he was a very imaginative individual. Sure, others 'invented' Apple's latest products, but the ideas came from Jobs. He was a very powerful visionary of our time.

Just think about how much of an influence Apple products have made on modern life. Do you think we'd have all of those things if Jobs never existed? Probably, but to a lesser extent.

Lord Phidias
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't know which passing is more shocking, Steve Jobs' or MJ's...

WebDudette
10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Steve Jobs once got in contact from a guy with Google because he thought the second 'o' in Google on the mobile site wasn't exactly the right yellow. I'd say he's a little more hands on than the average CEO.

That's kind of besides the point though. He was a cultural icon to millions and millions of people. If you're genuinely surprised by the general reaction and attention his death is getting, you're an idiot.

As for jokes about celebrity deaths, they are almost exclusively lazy and unfunny. Regarding Amy Winehouse dying, you know everyone's first thought was 'lololo, she should have gone to rehab', yet hundreds of people made the joke thinking they were the most clever motherfucker of all time. If your joke was everyone's immediate thought or has been told a million time, I don't want to hear it. If your joke is not at all funny or clever and you're just exploiting the shock value of a death or tragic event, I really don't want to fucking hear it.

My Name Was Taken
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't know which passing is more shocking, Steve Jobs' or MJ's...

honestly? we KNEW Steve was going to die.

Jojan
10-07-2011, 11:34 AM
And poor people making the Apple products.

Lord Phidias
10-09-2011, 09:40 PM
honestly? we KNEW Steve was going to die.

Ok, what I meant was:

Which passing is sadder to the world, SJ's or MJ's ?

Jojan
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/10/richard-stallman-quote.jpg

RageAndLov
10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
^Hahaha! He actually said that?

bighead384
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I just heard on FB that Steve Jobs stole un-patended ideas from his interns. I wonder if that's true. Anyone know anything about that?

Yeah that Stallman dudes got balls: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/steve-jobs-stallman-dissenting-view.html

Llamas
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I just heard on FB that Steve Jobs stole un-patended ideas from his interns. I wonder if that's true. Anyone know anything about that?

Yeah that Stallman dudes got balls: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/steve-jobs-stallman-dissenting-view.html

Jobs, like Gates and most people at the top of the tech industry, stole plenty. He took ideas from Microsoft (and then Microsoft did the same in return), from Xerox, etc. Hell, he said some years ago, "Good artists copy; great artists steal." There's tons of this happening everywhere, and in the history of everything, innovation and development is mostly about who happens to get recognized for it, rather than who actually comes up with it. I'm not hating on Jobs here; he wasn't doing anything that the others guys don't do. Last year, he complained that Apple was getting ripped off by HTC... what comes around...

Happens all the time in the sciences, too. Watson and Crick were recognized for discovering the double helix... even won a Nobel Peace Prize for it... much later, it was discovered that they didn't discover it; they stole the info from someone else and were just the first to publish.

ThunderPX
10-10-2011, 11:07 AM
"Good artists copy; great artists steal."

He was good at stealing quotes too.

My Name Was Taken
10-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Steve's death got me thinking: I've never owned or even operated an apple product of any kind.

Retard
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/338198_460s.jpg

bighead384
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/338198_460s.jpg
Why is it assumed that people who are upset about Steve Jobs aren't also upset about other tragedies?

The way Steve Jobs death is presented through media causes people to express their grief on a larger scale and all at the same time. This is not the cases with random people, no matter how tragic their death is. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. Not that people think Steve Jobs matters so much more than any other person who tragically dies.

WebDudette
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
When one person dies it is a tragedy, when a million die it's a statistic.

I hate when people try to get up in arms about this stuff when there is a celebrity death. If you can't figure out the difference between a cultural icon dying and a million nameless, faceless, unkown people then you're pretty ignorant to how the world works.

I saw someone comparing the death of a Nobel Prize winner to the death of Steve Jobs. Believe it of not, most people do not follow *medical engineering, physics, or astrology, but they are going to know a public figure like Jobs.

*as you can tell, I don't follow these thing either, I don't remember what the prize was won for.

Omni
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Not to mention there's a staggeringly high chance that Steve Jobs has directly affected the way each and every one of us lives our day-to-day life in some way. Anything you own that starts with a lowercase "i" is owed in no small part to Jobs.

Jojan
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
^Hahaha! He actually said that?

He wrote it on his home page (stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)).

I will be attending a talk with him in November.

Retard
10-12-2011, 08:22 AM
I honestly don't give two shits about jobs, and I only put that picture up cause I figured I'd get a reaction from someone. Yea I have an ipod, and I love the thing to death, but if it died tomorow I wouldn't be devastated. It has in no way affected my life more than having the conveniance of having all my music with me at all times. I don't have to worry about getting bored with an ablum really quick and having nothing to change it with if I didn't bring another CD. I think it's a safe bet that there's probably more people bummed about Steve Jobs dying than anyone in Africa dying. Most people unfortunately don't give two shits about what goes on in Africa, I bet a lot of people don't even know what's going on in Africa.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
It's because they do not know the people in Africa and they don't hear or read the things that are going on there. Steve on the other hand, was a genius. Loved by many because of his way of dealing things and his vision on life and how products should be. He could inspire people like no one else could (to me thoug) And he was famous and I think there are few people who had never heard about Steve Jobs. To my opinion, you've made a wrong comparison

Tijs
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah I'm just gonna contribute nothing to this thread but this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/ioq1d1.jpg

The Talking Pie
10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
As much as I agree with rms's ideology and am hugely thankful for everything that he kickstarted, he is a real dick.

Retard
10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah I'm just gonna contribute nothing to this thread but this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/ioq1d1.jpg

Yea, thats the jist of it.

Jojan
10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
There is something wrong in the world when Steve Jobs gets more attention than Dennis Ritchie.

Homer
10-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Because UNIX sucks.