PDA

View Full Version : What are you a snob about?

WebDudette
10-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Most people are pretentious or snobby about at least one thing. What is your one thing?

I don't usually say anything, but I secretly judge people and can be a real asshole about food. I loathe that people think restaurants like Olive Garden, Ah-So, and Macayos are anything but sub-par and over-priced. I get especially snobby about Japanese food. Not because I think I'm an expert, but because everyone else think they're so cool and know what they're talking about because they ate at some shitty sushi place. It annoys me when I tell people I work at a Japanese restaurant and they ask me about California rolls and shit, but that's understandable. What I really hate is when I tell them we have shashimi and fish, but we aren't really a sushi restaurant. Then they try to tell me that California rolls, or any rolls for that matter, are genuine Japanese food.

I don't mind if you just don't want to go out of your way to find a good restaurant or are not willing to spend the extra money*. Just don't pretend that Pei-Wei is top-tier Asian food, that Buca di Beppo is anything more than a mediocre Italian place, or that Chili's should even be considered a reasonable place to eat.

*this is a joke anyway, you can usually get great food for the same amount of money you'd be spending at one of these places.

My Name Was Taken
10-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Wen ppl tlk/tipe liek dis

bighead384
10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
The fact that Pavement is overrated.

My Name Was Taken
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
When a student asks the question that was just explained moments after it was explained.

WebDudette
10-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Pet peeves and snobbery aren't really the same thing. Though coincidentally, redundancy is one of my pet peeves.

Jakebert
10-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Beer. We already talked about this in the beer thread, though.

Food/Restaurants. Similar to Pilz, I get annoyed when people prefer bland chain places like Longhorn, Applebees, or Olive Garden to wonderful local places that actually make their food in-house rather than by putting together a bunch of frozen bulk-purchased ingredients. It's not that I don't like these places, as I do like lots of big chain places, but to prefer Longhorn to some hole-in-the-wall bbq places that gets all of it's meat local and goes through the whole intricate bbq process is just odd to me.

Music. This is obvious to anyone that knows me. It's not that I think people that listen to certain kinds of music are dumb or have worse taste, but I do really hate people that listen to music with no context. People that claim that, say, an Offspring album is the best album in the history of rock music, yet their knowledge of music largely ends at mid-90s pop punk. Again, I'm not saying that they can't have that album as their favorite album or whatever, but to make a bold claim like that just bugs me.

Stand Up Comedy. I don't know if I'd call myself a snob, as that's not a term usually associated with this, but I am incredibly picky with stand up comedians. For example, I hate 90% of the "Comedy Central Roast Crew" and the like.

Retard
10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm a snob about other people being snobs. I can't stand when people can't fathom someone opinion, I hate it when people are concerned about what other people like and dislike. If someone only has heard stuff after the 90s who gives a flying fuck, that's what they've heard so far, they can make a statement like X album is the greatest album ever made. It's their fucking opinion, who gives a shit that some critic from the 60s said that x album from 1950 is the greatest. It's all down to opinion. Stop being such a piece of shit and let people have their opinion.

Jakebert
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Saying something is the greatest or best is implied to be objective, meaning a fact or at least something based on fact. Calling an album "the greatest rock album ever made" would mean that album is objectively better than most, if not all, albums ever made. This is what I have an issue with, because in order to call an album the best, you should have some rudimentary knowledge of a wide scope of music in order to say that. Hell, even I don't say that, and I'm a mass music consumer who listens to anything I can get my hands on.

Saying an album is your favorite album is not objective, but is instead a subjective opinion.This I have no problem with whatsoever. If Ixnay On The Hombre is your favorite album, good for you. But saying it's the best rock album ever recorded is a stretch.

Also, if they can have their opinions I should be able to have mine without being called a piece of shit. Don't be hypocritical.

nieh
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
or that Chili's should even be considered a reasonable place to eat.

The skillet queso they do at Chili's is super tasty and I've never come across anything that's the same or better elsewhere. Olive Garden is definitely overpriced and overrated, never bothered even trying Buca Di Beppo because I assumed it was an Olive Garden knock-off. Most of my favorite places for burgers and steak are chains (and I do really like Chipotle for Americanized Mexican, but I like more authentic local places as well), but my favorite diners and places for pizza, and Italian foods are mostly all local stuff. The best pizza I ever had is this one off place in Philly called Gearo's that's just delicious and I've never had anything that tastes quite like it (unlike how most pizza places only vary in slight ways, this has something distinctive about it). I really don't put a lot of bearing in the idea that local places are inherently superior to chains though, it's kind of like saying music is automatically better if it's local and unsigned and recorded in someone's bedroom. Plus if the place is good enough they might branch out and become a new chain of their own, would that suddenly make the food suck?

WebDudette
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I guess I'm a snob about other people being snobs. I can't stand when people can't fathom someone opinion, I hate it when people are concerned about what other people like and dislike. If someone only has heard stuff after the 90s who gives a flying fuck, that's what they've heard so far, they can make a statement like X album is the greatest album ever made. It's their fucking opinion, who gives a shit that some critic from the 60s said that x album from 1950 is the greatest. It's all down to opinion. Stop being such a piece of shit and let people have their opinion.

Hey, that's just like, your opinion man. You gotta let him have his too, man.

Llamas
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
edit: just to make this clear, Bucca de beppo is much better than Olive Garden. It's surely not authentic Italian in any way, but they actually cook with spices and take actual ideas from Italian cuisine, rather than just stuffing pastas with cheese or covering it in alfredo and parmesan.

Olive Garden ... sub-par and over-priced.
Buca di Beppo ... mediocre Italian place
I have a friend who's worked at several fake Italian places over the years, including Olive Garden, Bravo, and Carraba's. We were discussing American-Italian chains and how morons actually consider these places to be "real Italian"... and we came across this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091116063059AAXSLM1

I couldn't really decide whether I wanted to laugh or smash my head on my desk. Bucca is decent, as long as you go in knowing you're getting commercial American-Italian. It's the best of the bunch, and I can tolerate it. The other places just serve giant portions of pasta doused with bland canned sauce. Awful.

I get especially snobby about Japanese food. Not because I think I'm an expert, but because everyone else think they're so cool and know what they're talking about because they ate at some shitty sushi place. It annoys me when I tell people I work at a Japanese restaurant and they ask me about California rolls and shit, but that's understandable. What I really hate is when I tell them we have shashimi and fish, but we aren't really a sushi restaurant. Then they try to tell me that California rolls, or any rolls for that matter, are genuine Japanese food.

I've complained about this on here before, but I have a problem with this new trend of getting all obsessed with Japanese stuff and acting superior about it, but having no idea what you're talking about. It's currently in and trendy to love Japan and anything remotely Japanese... which is whatever - as long as you actually know what you're talking about. Most people who act like this have never been to Japan, will likely never go, and don't speak the language. But they decorate their homes with "authentic" Japanese crap they bought at Target, get Japanese symbol tattoos, and blab on for days about sushi. I have a reason to be so annoyed by this even though I'm not interested in Japanese culture, though, considering I was in the language department at one of the biggest universities in the world, and the vast majority (like 40%) were studying Japanese. Compared to like 25% studying an actually useful language (Spanish) and another 15% studying French... most of the Japanese students were there to brag. As one of the only people studying German, I couldn't count how many times Japanese students would brag to me about how awesome Japanese stuff is, and how much harder and more awesome the language is than German. A couple were cool, though, and actually moved to Japan after graduation. The rest are working at Best Buy and Target and the like.

Sorry, that was somewhat off-topic. Just really bugs me.

nieh
10-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Regardless of how "italian" it is, the food at Carrabba's is a huge improvement over the food at Olive Garden.

Llamas
10-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes, Olive Garden is the worst of the worst when it comes to Italian chains. Carraba's and Bravo are both better, and Bucca is the best of those. Macaroni Grill is pretty shitty... somewhere betwen OG and Bravo.

Homer
10-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Restaurants Pretty much the same as everyone else.I mainly try to eat at local places, but once and a while I'll indulge in big chains because it's easy. I'm also easily disgusted when people eat McDonald's.

Music/Video Games/Movies I hate everyone that listens to country; Most people would say I'm a nerd. I consider video games to be the greatest form of media, as it combines every aspect of art; I've only met one person who has seen my favourite film, Moon. Well, not including my close friends.

I think that might be it.

Jebus
10-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I used to be a huge guitarist snob. You call that a solo?! PSHAW!

Not so much anymore. I've become an enthusiast of sorts for several other things, but I don't think I'm snobby about them.

Apathy
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I work at a *real* Italian restaurant, our chef makes all of the noodles, sauces, and cheeses in house. But I am in no way a food snob. I eat nasty shit all the time. In fact I have a huge McDonalds craving right now, but I don't have my car to go get any. Damn.

I just tried Buca di Beppo for the very first time about a month ago, and I thought it was pretty good. The thing that I get snobby about with restaurants is the atmosphere...I'll eat cheap food till I drop, but I hate walking into a restaurant and seeing little matching tomato ties on every server, or the now stereotypical office space flair.

But back to the main point. Definitely music. Definitely movies.

0r4ng3
10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm a snob about snobbery.

"Oh look, he/she's trying to act superior about a topic. How adorable."

WebDudette
10-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Buca is definitely the best of the ones mentioned, but it's still pretty expensive and not that great. Restaurants like that are specifically engineered to not offend anyone's tastes, so their all pretty bland. For a quality restaurant to blow up and become a chain, I think they'd have to lose a lot of their quality. There are a bunch of restaurants in the Phoenix valley that are all owned by the same guy. They are not chains, but they all lack a lot of quality because they have to work by a set of guidelines and hire just about any chef they can get. Most good chefs end up leaving because of the restrictions. Anyway, I work at a restaurant with a James Beard award winning chef, the restaurant has won a bunch of other awards including Best Japanese Restaurant and Best Urban Renewal (we made the ghetto look better or something), and it has great reviews. We don't get a whole lot of business sometimes (especially in tge summer) unlike the other group of restaurants I mentioned, because they are tailored to bring in as many people as possible. You know, like pop music, blockbuster movies, and network tv. Which is fine, I get why that works, I just don't like when people tell me they know good food because of restaurants like that. That's why I don't think you can have chains with top quality food. You can't get the quality chefs and the quality ingredients needed while working with chains.

All of that said I can, have, and will continue to eat anything and everything. I love Filiberto's, In-N-Out, Chipotle, Waffle House, and Del Taco. I will eat just about anything with out complaint and will probably enjoy the shit out of it because I love all food and eating. I just know where places stand on a scale of quality and don't like hearing that Macayo's is authentic Mexican or Olive Garden is the best Italian ever.

I like Carraba's and Macaroni Grill has those awesome table mats you can draw on.

If there is any place I would refuse to eat it's chilli's and Applebees. There stuff is all way to... overflavored?

Harleyquiiinn
10-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I've complained about this on here before, but I have a problem with this new trend of getting all obsessed with Japanese stuff and acting superior about it, but having no idea what you're talking about. It's currently in and trendy to love Japan and anything remotely Japanese... which is whatever - as long as you actually know what you're talking about. Most people who act like this have never been to Japan, will likely never go, and don't speak the language. But they decorate their homes with "authentic" Japanese crap they bought at Target, get Japanese symbol tattoos, and blab on for days about sushi. I have a reason to be so annoyed by this even though I'm not interested in Japanese culture, though, considering I was in the language department at one of the biggest universities in the world, and the vast majority (like 40%) were studying Japanese. Compared to like 25% studying an actually useful language (Spanish) and another 15% studying French... most of the Japanese students were there to brag. As one of the only people studying German, I couldn't count how many times Japanese students would brag to me about how awesome Japanese stuff is, and how much harder and more awesome the language is than German. A couple were cool, though, and actually moved to Japan after graduation. The rest are working at Best Buy and Target and the like.

Sorry, that was somewhat off-topic. Just really bugs me.

New ?!

It's been like that, like 10 years ago... I can't tell about where you live but here, nowadays, eating in "Japanese/Sushi places owned by Chinese" is like eating at McDonalds.

WebDudette
10-10-2011, 05:04 AM
I'm a snob about hookah, kind of. I have a really nice hookah that I maintain very well and I keep good shisha and coals. It's usually almost not worth it to smoke out of other people's hookahs. They don't know how to load it, the don't keep it clean, everything taste ashy, it doesn't hit hard, and they have bad shisha.

For me hookah is one of those things you have to do right, or it isn't worth doing at all.

Lupin
10-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Cleanliness of anal passages.

The dirtier the better.

My Name Was Taken
10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Offspring fandom. I canít stand people that call themselves Fans of The Offspring (or any other band, for that matter) when they only know one or two songs by that band.

Alison
10-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm a bit of a punctuation snob. It drives me mad when people mix up "their", "they're" and "there". And "you're" and "your" of course.

Llamas
10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Buca is definitely the best of the ones mentioned, but it's still pretty expensive and not that great. Restaurants like that are specifically engineered to not offend anyone's tastes, so their all pretty bland. For a quality restaurant to blow up and become a chain, I think they'd have to lose a lot of their quality. There are a bunch of restaurants in the Phoenix valley that are all owned by the same guy. They are not chains, but they all lack a lot of quality because they have to work by a set of guidelines and hire just about any chef they can get. Most good chefs end up leaving because of the restrictions. Anyway, I work at a restaurant with a James Beard award winning chef, the restaurant has won a bunch of other awards including Best Japanese Restaurant and Best Urban Renewal (we made the ghetto look better or something), and it has great reviews. We don't get a whole lot of business sometimes (especially in tge summer) unlike the other group of restaurants I mentioned, because they are tailored to bring in as many people as possible. You know, like pop music, blockbuster movies, and network tv. Which is fine, I get why that works, I just don't like when people tell me they know good food because of restaurants like that. That's why I don't think you can have chains with top quality food. You can't get the quality chefs and the quality ingredients needed while working with chains.
That's pretty much the truth with anything that becomes totally mainstream. Music, movies, art, food, dance, whatever... they have to sort of dull it down so that the masses will enjoy it. And I agree with you, too - I don't have a problem with doing what works and going for the mainstream success... but people who eat at these kinds of places and claim they love food are like people who claim music is their life and their favorite bands are Nickelback and Linkin Park. I don't really care if you like those bands (I enjoy me some LP now and then), but you're not fooling anyone into believing you seek out and appreciate quality.

All of that said I can, have, and will continue to eat anything and everything. I love Filiberto's, In-N-Out, Chipotle, Waffle House, and Del Taco. I will eat just about anything with out complaint and will probably enjoy the shit out of it because I love all food and eating. I just know where places stand on a scale of quality and don't like hearing that Macayo's is authentic Mexican or Olive Garden is the best Italian ever.

I like Carraba's and Macaroni Grill has those awesome table mats you can draw on.

If there is any place I would refuse to eat it's chilli's and Applebees. There stuff is all way to... overflavored?

Same, same, same... I've only ever eaten at Applebee's because of Monday night two for one appetizers. But choosing to go to Applebee's, Chili's, TGI Friday's, Perkins... I just don't get. The food isn't cheap enough to be worth sacrificing taste, and the food just so dissatisfying.

New ?!

It's been like that, like 10 years ago... I can't tell about where you live but here, nowadays, eating in "Japanese/Sushi places owned by Chinese" is like eating at McDonalds.

Hmm, I probably didn't recognize it til about 5-6 years ago... but you're probably right.

I'm a bit of a punctuation snob. It drives me mad when people mix up "their", "they're" and "there". And "you're" and "your" of course.

so their all pretty bland.

Oh snap.

jacknife737
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Beer - I've posted my views on this fairly adequetly on the beer thread: I hardly drink any of the major brands.

Food/Restaurants - I tend to avoid fastfood places and chain restaurants as much as possible: though, admittedly i'll sometimes go to Lonestar: it's not great food by any stretch, i just like tex-mex and there really aren't a whole lot of options here in Soviet Cannuckastan.

I'd almost say music (well specifically, a genre "snob"), but as i thought about it: i do listen to a lot of trashy pop stuff like Motion City Soundtrack and what not from time to time so that pretty much voids any snobbish opinions I may hold on the matter.

Edit:

I also sort of want to include movies as well: but like with music, as much as I may despise souless big budget blockbusters, i still love a ton of really trashy stuff (like the Faculty, Supertroopers, ect).

Jakebert
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I actually think listening to pop music, or "guilty pleasure" bands makes you better able to be a music snob. People that limit their tastes in music to certain styles, whether it be a Lady Gaga fan who won't listen to indie, an indie fan who won't listen to mainstream bands, a jazz fan who won't listen to metal, a metal fan that won't listen to jazz, a punk who won't listen to country, etc. can't really be music snobs because their view of music is incredibly narrow and limited. I feel like to call yourself a music snob you have to be able to not limit yourself to one or two genres.

Jojan
10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
When people write American-English, and not British-English. And even when people use English words in Swedish, when there are perfectly useful Swedish words for the exact same thing. And when film titles are not translated. And when people use "or" instead of "and", when "and" is more logical to use. And when people in Swedish use "'s" in genitive case. And when people say that Macs are not PC's. And generally when people do not know how a computer works.

Offspring fandom. I can’t stand people that call themselves Fans of The Offspring (or any other band, for that matter) when they only know one or two songs by that band.

And when they call the band "Offsprings".

T-6005
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
In the main I'm a behavior snob.

Occasionally people will have developed a way of putting themselves forward that they imagine to be somehow contiguous with the image of themselves that they're trying to put forward, and it irritates me to no end.

I actually am going to differentiate this somewhat from a pet peeve, even though that's in part what it is, because it's not the behavior itself that necessarily aggravates me - it's what the people engaging in it think it implies about them. Business school attendees talking about their suits. PhD candidates who blink two hundred times a minute while they speak, as if they're thinking incredibly hard about every single word coming out of their mouths, so much so that their blink control has gone off the rails. People who internalize popular colloquial expressions and greet me with them.

Again, these aren't things which annoy me when enacted in a more natural way, but specifically when they're clearly learned behaviors that get engaged as soon as circumstances or topics change.

That's right. I'm a snob about your behavior, because my behavior is better.

Rag Doll
10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
wine & liquor in general. i don't think wine has to be expensive, but i think it needs to be good. and you can get good for under $10 a bottle.

bighead384
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm a pizza snob. Philly has good pizza in general, and a few fucking great pizza places, namely Lorenzo's on South Street.

NYC has great pizza, though I'm not an expert on where to go there since I've only been there 3 or 4 times.

The cheese must be 100% Grande Cheese. I talked to a pizza place owner and that's the best kind of cheese, and this guy's pizza rules. A lot of places use a mixture of Grande and other fillers.

The sauce must be slightly sweet, although there's a wide range of preference with this. I prefer a slightly higher sauce to cheese ratio than most people.

The crust just needs to be high quality and fresh obviously, which just depends on where and how the pizza place gets their dough. As far as the actually preparation goes, I prefer crispy crust, so much so that their are dark brown spots on the bottom of the slice.

nieh
10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm a pizza snob. Philly has good pizza in general, and a few fucking great pizza places, namely Lorenzo's on South Street.

Gearo's (http://www.gearos.com/) is better.

bighead384
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Gearo's (http://www.gearos.com/) is better.

I find it hard to believe that a place could be better than Lorenzo's without me hearing about it, but I'll almost definitely give that place a try soon, especially since the friend I go to Philly with most often is pretty hardcore about pizza too.

That's right: you sir, are influencing my behavior.

nieh
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
It's in northeast Philly, not in center city, so that may have something to do with why it isn't more well known. It's out of the way from most other things in the city.

WebDudette
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: while I haven't had pizza in Philidelphia or New York, I'm willing to bet Pizzeria Bianco is easily among the best in the country. They only have 5 or 6 different pizzas but they use some of the best and freshest ingredients I've had in any food, ever. Unfortunately, I don't eat their often, even though the restaurant I work at is directly across the way.

Jakebert
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm a firm believer that any major American city has at least one pizza place that defines it, even if the style isn't super original or began there. That's what I love about pizza, no matter where you go, there's some amazing local institution that you haven't eaten at yet.

nieh
10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't know how Gearo's makes their pizza, but I've never had another pizza that tastes anything like it.

personal_loans_1
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
And even when people use English words in Swedish, when there are perfectly useful Swedish words for the exact same thing. And when film titles are not translated.

Some time ago there were some problems with electric current, and what they told on tv? 'Blackout'. Yeah, we don't have as short one word to describe it, it takes 3 whole words. Hey :/

Polish titles translations are a different story. Very often I'm not sure if to cry or to laugh. Main sins: Sex references when there should be none, to sell more tickets? Hell yeah. Unreasonable creativity. So I'm surprised that film is that film. And titles that sound like some very very old grandpa was trying to use slang he had no idea about. Those are confusing. So I don't have a problem with that.

A propos pizza, I hate when they mess with tomato sauce in Pizza Hut.;[ I don't remember when I was there last time, but one of my last visits there was destroyed by wrong sauce. I loved it when I was a kid. I don't complain when it tastes slightly differently but when they completely change the recipe I'm pissed off.

Retard
10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Pizza Hut is probably my favorite Chain.
There's a place a couple towns over from me called Lynwoods that has my favorite pizza ever. It's real basic bar style pizza, but it's probably one of the best bar pizza's I've ever had. Murray's in my town is pretty simmilar. I read an article the other day that my town has like 10 pizza places in it. I think I've only been in a few. I gotta go to the rest of them soon. Maybe I'll do that as a new mission.

Llamas
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Pizza Hut is probably my favorite Chain.

The only pizza chain that Pizza Hut trumps is Domino's (though I haven't tried the "new recipe", so maybe not even that). Literally every other pizza is better than PH. Papa John's, Uno, Little Caesar's, California Pizza Kitchen, Godfather's, Toppers, Shaky's...

My favorite pizza chain, however, is Rocky Rococo's. I like them because their pizza is so different from everyone else's. Mmm, I miss Rocky's :(

bighead384
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
The only pizza chain that Pizza Hut trumps is Domino's (though I haven't tried the "new recipe", so maybe not even that). Literally every other pizza is better than PH. Papa John's, Uno, Little Caesar's, California Pizza Kitchen, Godfather's, Toppers, Shaky's...

You like Little Caesar's better? I always thought their whole strategy was to blatantly be no better than just palatable, but a couple bucks cheaper than other places.

Papa John's is the only chain I know of that uses unfrozen dough. Props for that. I don't know about the rest of their ingredients, but their IS some truth to the whole "better ingredients, better pizza" bit.

Oh and you get a hot pepper in your pizza box, so you know they're serious and authentic.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Papa John's is the best big pizza chain. I like Little Caesars OK, but it's the only pizza where I completely discard the crust. I think their strategy is to skimp on the crust, to the point where it's almost inedible by itself, to enable them to sell pizza at really low prices. The cheese and sauce are actually not too bad. Maybe I just feel this way because I used to work in an office that was 2 doors down from a Little Caesars and sometimes when working late it was amazing to be able to just walk over and grab a $5 Hot-n-Ready in essentially no time.

bighead384
10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I like Little Caesars OK, but it's the only pizza where I completely discard the crust. I think their strategy is to skimp on the crust, to the point where it's almost inedible by itself, to enable them to sell pizza at really low prices. The cheese and sauce are actually not too bad.
This is an interesting theory.

You know what I've always thought of doing, even though it's an asshole thing to do?

Open a pizza place, and keep switching between high quality ingredients and (edit) average quality ingredients. One mediocre pie isn't enough to turn people off of your store, and by the time they order again, you'll have the expensive stuff back. But you'll save money. This theory is actually a lot easier if you're a big corporation, though I don't know how often it's done. For example, imagine a new Doritos flavor that has extra seasoning for the first month only. I loved that Sweet n' Spicy Doritos flavor, and then out of nowhere, it just hit me that they aren't that good. It's was kind of...weird how it happened like that. I'm not saying I'm sure that this was the case in this situation, however.

Pizza Hut's sauce and cheese are decent (I work there). It's really the pan pies that give them their reputation. That dough is LOADED with vegetable oil like no other pizza place does it. Pizza Hut's Hand tossed pizza has no oil added to it and it's much better.

WebDudette
10-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Any and all pizza is good. I guess I'd say Papa Johns is the best chain, but it's also more expensive. I definitely have a soft spot for Hungry Howies. It's cheap, the flavored crusts are awesome, they have tons of toppings, their bread is awesome, and again it's cheap. We have Ray's pizza joints out here and everyone loves it, they think it's high caliber, but it's really not that great. It's not delivery pizza, but it's not a big step up. It's really greasy traditional pizza, but it really hits the spot some times. Deep dish pizza and thin pizza are low-tier, I just don't like really like pizza casserole like deep dish is, but I love to have some good hand tossed crust.

There is another great place by my restaurant called Cibo. It's the same kind of pizza as Bianco's (handmade dough, woodfire, brickoven) they have a lot more variety, but it's lower quality. It's a lot easier to get a table and it has a cooler enviroment, but they don't have the pistachio and red onion white pizza that Bianco's has.

Homer
10-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Holy fuck I really want some pizza, now.

But, the city is too far away... ugh.

Harleyquiiinn
10-13-2011, 10:13 AM
To me, the world is divided into 2 categories :

Those who love The Princess Bride and those who don't. This second category includes people saying "yeah, it's okay..."

No, I'm not serious...

I don't really get the difference between snob and pet peeves and I have the feeling that this is a pet peeve:

I can't stand when people use the word "stipulate" in a bad way.

Example: "this law stipulates".

A stipulation is the result of a negociation so, by definition, only contracts and conventions stipulate (now you'll know it !)

BUT, as I'm not completely crazy, I will correct only lawyers, attorneys, and journalists.

The rest of the world can make the mistake. I don't mind.

Llamas
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
I am deliberately ignoring Harley because I wanna talk about pizza more.

You like Little Caesar's better? I always thought their whole strategy was to blatantly be no better than just palatable, but a couple bucks cheaper than other places.

If you get their hot and readys, then yes, you're right. But you can order something else if you're willing to wait for them to cook it, and then it's much better. I used to work at LC after graduating high school, and it's one of the only chains that makes the dough from scratch each morning. We always spent the first two hours making dough, and anything we didn't sell at the end of the day was discounted, like at a bakery. Plus we chopped all fresh veggies, and used real mozzarella. I'd say the weakest part of LC is the sauce. And those hot and ready pizzas are literally just a super cheap pizza option... they're pre-made and sitting under a heat lamp until someone buys them. Of course they're $5 :P

I like Little Caesars OK, but it's the only pizza where I completely discard the crust. I think their strategy is to skimp on the crust, to the point where it's almost inedible by itself, to enable them to sell pizza at really low prices. The cheese and sauce are actually not too bad. Maybe I just feel this way because I used to work in an office that was 2 doors down from a Little Caesars and sometimes when working late it was amazing to be able to just walk over and grab a $5 Hot-n-Ready in essentially no time.

Really? That's very strange, considering that one of the most popular aspects of LC is their crazy bread, which is basically just the crust with some butter sauce and parmesan. I've always liked their crust. Domino's has inedible crust, though.

This is an interesting theory.

You know what I've always thought of doing, even though it's an asshole thing to do?

Open a pizza place, and keep switching between high quality ingredients and low quality ingredients. One mediocre pie isn't enough to turn people off of your store, and by the time they order again, you'll have the expensive stuff back. But you'll save money. This theory is actually a lot easier if you're a big corporation, though I don't know how often it's done. For example, imagine a new Doritos flavor that has extra seasoning for the first month only. I loved that Sweet n' Spicy Doritos flavor, and then out of nowhere, it just hit me that they aren't that good. It's was kind of...weird how it happened like that. I'm not saying I'm sure that this was the case in this situation, however.

Pizza Hut's sauce and cheese are decent (I work there). It's really the pan pies that give them their reputation. That dough is LOADED with vegetable oil like no other pizza place does it. Pizza Hut's Hand tossed pizza has no oil added to it and it's much better.

You kidding? Have you ever actually seen any research on customers? Ha, I mean, Americans are totally the kinds of people who demand free shit when they get a crappy meal/pizza/whatever. You do that, and you'll be giving shit away out the ying yang til you go broke. And if you don't give people free shit, word would spread very quickly that you don't "care about your customers". It's the American way.

Deep dish pizza and thin pizza are low-tier, I just don't like really like pizza casserole like deep dish is, but I love to have some good hand tossed crust.

Deep dish pizza is pretty much the worst thing America ever did to pizza. It's never, ever made fresh, and bread is seriously the lamest part of pizza. I'll have me some Italian style pizza, with a nice thin crust, thank you - and not "thin crust" as in crunchy, flavorless cardboard... it should be thin but soft. Usually it should be eaten with a fork and knife - if you can easily pick up the slice without any problems, it's probably too thick/too hard. I guess I am a snob about pizza, ha. But I'll eat any pizza, for real. Even Domino's if I don't have to pay for it. But I hate this business of making a thick flavorless bready crust just so it can serve more people and you can charge them more.

At the same time, the pan-style pizza is the best thing America ever did to pizza. It's like 4x less healthy than hand-tossed, but oh my god it's delicious when it's done right.

PS: speaking of deep dish pizza being the bane of the pizza industry,
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/user_photos/1232354/1dfeb01767bb5a15d781eea306b6b4d1_original.jpg?49fa 68bf

Jakebert
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Hungry Howie's in my favorite chain pizza place by far. The cajun crust is amazing.

Also, deep dish pizza is kind of awesome. Llamas, I have no idea where you're coming from on that one. Genuine, authentic Chicago deep dish pizza is one of the best things I've ever tasted in my life, and I'd drive the 8 hours to Chicago just to eat it if I had the time/resources. I will agree, however, that I've almost never had a good deep dish pizza outside of Chicago.

Llamas
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Also, deep dish pizza is kind of awesome. Llamas, I have no idea where you're coming from on that one. Genuine, authentic Chicago deep dish pizza is one of the best things I've ever tasted in my life, and I'd drive the 8 hours to Chicago just to eat it if I had the time/resources. I will agree, however, that I've almost never had a good deep dish pizza outside of Chicago.

You're right; Chicago-style pizza is totally its own category in my mind. I mean, I don't even include it when I talk about what kind of pizza I like; it's almost *not* pizza... but it's freaking amazing. And while it is a special type of deep dish, it's definitely NOT what I think of when someone mentions a deep dish pizza... it's just... so, so different.

Damn, I'm hungry.

Apathy
10-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Non-chain pizza is always the best of course...but I'll give my two cents.

I hate papa johns. By itself, it is probably my least favorite of all the chains. One redeeming factor? Garlic sauce. Dip every damn bite in that, and it won't matter. Instantly becomes high-tier.

Dominos, I will hand it to them, has gotten much better since their renovation. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely pretty good for the price. Pizza Hut I like a lot, although I feel sluggish and nauseous afterwords. Similar to McDonalds...I always enjoy it while it's happening, and then soon regret it.

Little Caesar's is dirt fucking cheap and they know it. But sometimes it's worth it.

I'm not sure how spread they are, but I've been liking Toppers a lot lately. It's quite similar to Pizza Hut, except they make lots of different specialty pizzas, etc.

barangatang
10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm snobby about art history knowledge, it's the only subject I have a complete understanding of.

Retard
10-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I always forget to put Unos in the chain categpry because I put it on a whole different level than other pizza chains. They definitely have my favorite chain pizza. I need to go back to chicago. I'd just eat pizza the whole vacation. Only had little caesars once. I have no clue where the closest one is. Dominoes woujld be alright if someone else was getting it for me, I'm not going out of my way to grab it. never had papa john's. I have no clue where theres one around me either.

My Name Was Taken
10-14-2011, 07:11 AM
N
Little Caesar's is dirt fucking cheap and they know it. But sometimes it's worth it.

I work there :P I have a BRIGHT ORANGE T-shirt that says "Hot 'n Ready"

bighead384
10-14-2011, 08:33 AM
You kidding? Have you ever actually seen any research on customers? Ha, I mean, Americans are totally the kinds of people who demand free shit when they get a crappy meal/pizza/whatever. You do that, and you'll be giving shit away out the ying yang til you go broke. And if you don't give people free shit, word would spread very quickly that you don't "care about your customers". It's the American way.

That's only if it's crappy. I'm saying you switch between run of the mill and top quality ingredients.

Ser
10-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Cleanliness and hygiene. That's what I'm seriously a snob about, but it's also a pet peeve, I guess. I work in a jewelry store and people are the most disgusting creatures on the planet. There are people who spit on the fingers to get rings off and then try to hand them to you with the most dumb ass looks on their faces. One time, (this happened to one of my co-workers not me), this woman came in to get her earrings cleaned and she took them out, handed them to my co-worker and when she went to clean them worms came out. Seriously. Little teeny tiny ones. People need to take better care of their shit.

Now, that I've grossed at least one person out, the most popular pizza here is made with this disgusting brown sauce instead of tomato sauce, I don't even know what it is. It's from this small local Greek restaurant chain. It's gross, I hate it, I don't get why people love it. It is not pizza.

Llamas
10-14-2011, 09:10 AM

After more thought (apparently I spend way too much time thinking about pizza?), I honestly think the terminology of deep dish and pan-style has changed to a point of confusion. Didn't they used to mean the same thing? Because I would actually consider, based on taste and look, Chicago pizza to be pan-style...

But if you read the actual definitions of both, both are made in a pan with high sides:

Deep dish:
-Made with corn dough.
-Cheese is on the bottom, comes first. Then toppings, then crushed tomato sauce on top.

Pan:
-Made with normal flour-based dough.
-Sauce comes first, then toppings, then cheese on top.

Based on that, Chicago pizza is the only true deep dish I've ever had, and every other "deep dish" (especially the ones you get in chains like Domino's or Pizza Hut) isn't even remotely deep dish. And based on this, deep dish is way better than pan. I guess I was just equating deep dish with what the chains sell under that title.

I hate papa johns. By itself, it is probably my least favorite of all the chains. One redeeming factor? Garlic sauce. Dip every damn bite in that, and it won't matter. Instantly becomes high-tier.
You're actually right on about that. That's exactly why PJ's serves garlic sauce with their pizza, and I hadn't really thought about that. It's just like Olive Garden and their parmesan that they coat your meal in so that you can't taste anything but cheese. Then everything tastes good. I've never actually had PJ's without the garlic sauce... maybe I'm mistaken about liking it, haha.

Dominos, I will hand it to them, has gotten much better since their renovation. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely pretty good for the price. Pizza Hut I like a lot, although I feel sluggish and nauseous afterwords. Similar to McDonalds...I always enjoy it while it's happening, and then soon regret it.
I thought the Domino's commercials were ridiculous - it was basically saying, "We've been serving you fake cheese and ketchup on old frozen dough for the last decade. Now we're actually going to stop suckering you and serve you actual cheese and marinara sauce on real dough." I worked there like 7 years ago, and it was disgusting. The dough was delivered on plastic trays, precut and prerolled. All we did was flatten it out and put toppings on it. And that dough would often stay in the fridge for as long as two weeks. The sauce came in 2 gallon plastic bags and was then dumped into a giant bucket that held 8 gallons. It was then ladled onto the pizzas from there. And the cheese was not even grated - it was in tiny cubes, which made it very obvious it wasn't real cheese. It also came in huge plastic bags, and was shaped like that because there was a big plastic piece of equipment you'd load cheese into, put the pizza under it, and the thing would automatically distribute the cheese onto the pizza. Doesn't get much less "hand-made". Most disgusting pizza ever. I'm glad they changed it, but to make it sound like they're offering quality for their customers is so manipulative and sad.

I'm not sure how spread they are, but I've been liking Toppers a lot lately. It's quite similar to Pizza Hut, except they make lots of different specialty pizzas, etc.
Isn't it a Midwest thing? We used to order Toppers cheese bread in college all the time... best cheese bread in the area.

That's only if it's crappy. I'm saying you switch between run of the mill and top quality ingredients.
Okay, I see what you're saying. The only issue then would the cost for you, because ordering in big bulk is cheaper, and ordering from two different vendors is already more expensive... plus you'd have to create extra storage for both types of ingredients... just sounds like a mess that'd end up costing more than it'd be worth.

Little_Miss_1565
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
To me, the world is divided into 2 categories :

Those who love The Princess Bride and those who don't. This second category includes people saying "yeah, it's okay..."

No, I'm not serious...

I don't really get the difference between snob and pet peeves and I have the feeling that this is a pet peeve:

I can't stand when people use the word "stipulate" in a bad way.

Example: "this law stipulates".

A stipulation is the result of a negociation so, by definition, only contracts and conventions stipulate (now you'll know it !)

I do some paralegal work, and I thought stipulation in the legal sense was one of those words that has a different meaning than it might have conventionally. No? (But -- I use the Princess Bride as a personality litmus test. Oh, you hate the Princess Bride? You must be a joyless asshole. NEXT.)

I would punch a puppy in the face to have regular access to Chicago pizza (and then I would undo the 25 lbs I lost this year, but fuck it. Chicago pizza!). I had half a slice when a friend brought some that she ordered into the office, and it was like my head split open and sunshine and unicorns popped out. God I missed it.

Harleyquiiinn
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I do some paralegal work, and I thought stipulation in the legal sense was one of those words that has a different meaning than it might have conventionally. No? (But -- I use the Princess Bride as a personality litmus test. Oh, you hate the Princess Bride? You must be a joyless asshole. NEXT.)

You are right as in the real world, people use it to say "this legal text says" and that's why I am not a snob for people who don't do law (or are not writers or journalists). But in a legal sense, it definitely means "a text that you must respect because you have a contract or a convention saying so but that has been negociated between the parties".

lol about the Princess Bride, that's exactly it : "joyless asshole" , perfect definition.

wheelchairman
10-16-2011, 10:09 PM
In the main I'm a behavior snob.

Occasionally people will have developed a way of putting themselves forward that they imagine to be somehow contiguous with the image of themselves that they're trying to put forward, and it irritates me to no end.

This. I am a snob in this area as well. It also has to do with the fact that typically it's quite transparent what archetype they are going for, and in striving to achieve that archetype they make their own personalities more two dimensional. I mean everyone wants to be viewed in a certain way, but shoe-horning it makes it an affectation that's distasteful.

Also I'm an anti-snob snob, very much like Bighead, though apparently I've hid it much better. (Or at least in a manner less stupid.)

My tastes in anything are pretty... let's say plebian. I can't stand Oscar movies, and it boggles my mind that people pay money for the dvds. I don't think dramas or romance make for very good fiction on the silver screen. Typically I find them to be transparently manipulative. If I can feel my heart-strings being pulled on I'm immediately torn out of the film and am suddenly aware of what the film is trying to do. Which effectively ruins the experience.

Whereas James Kirk's birth in the last Star Trek film really is one of the most touching things I've seen in cinema in recent years. See what I mean by plebian?

Typically I want my movies to have one of the following criteria:
1. humor
2. action
3. gore, but not in a Saw way, more like in a Robocop/Game of Thrones way.

I would go as far as saying Robocop is one of the best social commentaries of all time. I want to say because it's more subtle, but there's nothing subtle about it. The social-commentary it makes simply takes a back-seat to a renegade ass-kicking robot-cop. Also a guy takes an acid bath and then is splattered all over a windshield, that's fucking insane!

There are of course exceptions. I'm talking about drama wank like The King's Speech or the Social Network. The Social Network was terrible. And don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly unfair. I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture is boring too. Really, really boring. (That's the one from the 70s where Kirk still sort of looks like Kirk but his hair is getting weird and he's getting fat, and they spend a lot of time doing boring things, and their uniforms look really bizarre.)

In short, I think dramas function better as novels, and only if the author is competent. I think films can do just fine with bad writing if they have enough action, humor or gore. (Conan was awesome. Yet somehow Cowboys vs. Aliens failed to deliver.)

The same is true of many things. I enjoy cheap beers. (Though I have nothing against expensive ones and will gladly drink them.) I think McDonald's is great. (After a recent test I've decided that it's better than Burger King.) I think most indie movies probably suck, that's a prejudice thing though. Hmm I wish I could give better examples but it's not something I dwell on much. Maybe I'll think of something later on.

Oh and foreign movies, they tend to suck. I don't understand people who appreciate foreign movies as a genre. Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of foreign movies I liked. However I've seen a helluva lot of bad ones too, and the bad ones seem to be more frequent than the good ones. Danish cinema is in a terrible state. Then again, the further away from hollywood the less budget you have for action, sci fi, and gore.

p,s, Drive is a really really good movie, you should watch it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Good question.. as ashamed as I am to admit it, I'm somewhat of a humour snob. I've never especially liked "random" humour, and people's use of it - especially when I first meet them - can really sour me to them, even if everything else checks out.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm a real snob towards fundamentalist Christianity. As much as I try to be reasonable and level in debating and general conversation, whenever the person I'm talking to starts to show the least little leaning towards fundamentalist Christianity or, God forbid, creationism, I become extremely dismissive and patronising towards them. I wish I didn't, I just can't help it. Damn you lingering Catholic upbringing resentment. </3

I don't think I'm a snob towards anything fashion or music related though.. simply because my music and fashion tastes are so.. not exactly eclectic, just simply "I can't be bothered sticking to one thing in particular".

My Name Was Taken
10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Socks with sandals. Gag me with a Ginsu.

WebDudette
10-19-2011, 02:04 AM
I went out to Cibo with three other friends last night and we got a ton of pizza. three appetizers, three pizzas, and dessert. The appetizers were awesome and really filling. One was an antipasto plate with meats, cheeses, sauteed onions, olives, red peppers, and tomatoes. The other was more meats, campresse salad, goat cheese, nuts, roasted vegetables, and fruit with a really awesome almonds, greens, and honey salad. Then we had a bruschetta plate with a white bean bruschetta, grape tomato and basil bruschetta, and a prosciutto and mozzarella bruschetta.

The girls shared a margherita and one guy got a prosciutto pizza. I got a white pizza with mozzarella. prosciutto, goat cheese, arugula, pears, and some pepper. It was definitely some of the best pizza I've ever had.

I forgot to bring my camera to take pictures, but this a picture of the last pizza I got at Cibo:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/IMG_0233.jpg

It's mozzarella, prosciutto crudo, white mushrooms and a drizzle of white truffle oil after the pizza is cooked. It's amazing, but I think I like the one I had last night more.

This might be my all time favorite pizza:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/bianco-rosa.jpg

I used to have some pictures I took, but couldn't find them, so this one is from Google. It's Bianco's Rosa, it's a white pizza with red onion, parmigiano reggiano, rosemary, and pistachios.

I posted those pictures mostly so you guys can have a good idea of what I'm talking about when I talk about my ideal pizza. Nice thin, fresh dough, a little crispy. Not really thin though, the kind of pizza with no crust at all is not necessarily bad, but it's far from great.

Then there is pizza like this:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/chicago-deep-dish-pizza.jpg

Which is great, but it lacks a lot of what makes my ideal pizza my ideal pizza. It's more of a casserole or lasagna that lacks most of the subtleties and flavors that makes me love pizza. I will admit though, it's better than cardboard pizza and can be better than a lot of delivery. Also, I've never been to Chicago and I've probably never had what people would call traditional deep dish, but I find it very hard to believe it can be better than what I posted.

WebDudette
10-19-2011, 02:14 AM
I feel like a lot of my superiority is reactionary, I'm not sure if that's better. Like I said earlier though, I don't really care what you eat, just don't try to tell me that Ah-So is traditional Japanese and Macayo's is the best Mexican food there is.

I hate when people asks me about what music I listen to because in most cases I know they're not going to be familiar with a lot of what I listen to. If I'm pressed I'll tell them some of the more popular stuff I listen to and maybe some local bands on the off chance they've heard of them. Sometimes, something clicks and we can have a good conversation. Sometimes people want to ask questions like 'why do you listen to music that isn't popular, what's the appeal?' and that annoys the shit out of me. Popular music makes up maybe 1% of all music, there is a pretty good chance that there is a bunch of bands tailored to suits your tastes 100% if you want to look around a little bit. It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying as shit when it does. I feel that same way about movies, enjoy whatever you want as long as you don't try to argue that Avatar is the best movie of all time and you understand that there are genres, directors, and writers who are more suited too my taste but not bankable on a whole.

wheelchairman
10-19-2011, 05:36 AM
You talk about pizza the way Patrick Bateman talks about food.

personal_loans_1
10-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Like rat from Ratatouille.
First pizza looks delicious. Beautiful colours. The only meat I order pizza with is pepperoni, but I'd really like to try prosciutto crudo. It's so thin, and looks really tasty. I tried it on some italian day somewhere and I guess it was tasty indeed but I don't really remember.

Second pizza looks delicious as well, but I can't imagine how pistachios work for it.

This is cheese under sauce in third? So it has relatively thin dough? Then it's more delicious then it looks.

Socks with sandals are a quintessence of sporty-elegant style. haha.

calichix
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
being progressive. I'm so snooty about all the baby liberals in texas who have just discovered recycling. I'm like "ugh, a PLASTIC NALGENE? what is this, 1997?!" and I understand that I'm obnoxious as fuck, and that it's good that they're recycling. but I'm still like "oh. my god." when the newly liberal chicks I work with play putamayo cd's at dinner parties or squeal "I LOVE multiculturalism!!!" buena vista social club? c'mon. no lid on your compost bin? that's fucking gross. a paper grocery bag is not a functional system.

and I'm hella snooty about people who use embarrassing words like "poop" or "fartface" or "butt" or call each other "stinky". even a baby chiding someone like a baby is disgusting.

Sidewinder
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm a faux-snob about music. I like to pretend my taste is the standard, because I like a lot of low-tier music (my 90s selection, etc) and it still ends up being better taste than a lot of my friends :(

I'm a true snob about my books. #FuckYeahEnglishMajors

bighead384
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Uh, I'm a snob about backing into parking spaces not being worth it.

Free?
10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
People call me snob for being an insistent devils' advocate.

P.S.:Fucking pizzas, now I'm hungry.

wheelchairman
10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I realized recently I'm a snob about my education.
Meaning I can respect someone from a different background for having a different opinion, but if they attempt to lecture me on foreign policy matters, I will cease to be courteous. Especially if they have a background in the natural sciences, for some reason there is a higher tendency of natural scientists to have horrible back-asswards views on social sciences, and they tend to stick to their guns more stubbornly. Makes me want to lecture engineers on bridge building.

wheelchairman
10-23-2011, 02:21 PM
P.s. I like little caesars.

Omni
10-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Little Caesar's is awesome. It's a shame it appears to have declined so much.

The pizza is worse than most pizza chains, but better than any frozen pizza you could buy. Also far cheaper than any "good" frozen pizza.

Is it weird that I only like those buck-25 Totino's frozen pizzas? I think I like them so much because they taste just like cafeteria pizza in schools, and they're like the cheapest full meal available on the planet. I absolutely cannot stand DiGiorno and Freschetta.

killer_queen
10-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh, definitely a music snob here. And I'm the worst kind, a classical music snob. A classical music snob beats all kind of music snobs. Only we are allowed to look down on every kind of music. We don't care which one you listen, be it pop, rock, techno or country. They are all popular music to us and we say that all of them together don't have the depth of the smallest part of a Fugue by Bach.
The worst thing to do when you come across a classical music snob is to agree with her and say something like "I like Chopin". Because we will ask you "Chopin from whom?" and talk endlessly about how Daniel Barenboim ruined the preludes, how overrated Ashkenazy is. And then we will attack you; we'll say that there is no way a person who likes alternative rock like you can apperciate Chopin or understand his works. By the time we are finished with you you'll be crying, believe me.

And I hate movie snobs.

personal_loans_1
10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Ridiculous. You'll find influences of Chopin's works in countless pop music songs. Classical music infuses many modern and contemporary trends. While pop artists will not (generally) openly pledge allegiance - who would, when it's their livelihoods we're talking about - it's there to hear for anyone with ears.

Likewise, classical musicians can also stride other genres, be it gypsy or dancefloor, without an ounce of disrespect for what they are currently playing.

Finally, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111020114006AAdSA3i

Music Theory
Many of the rules of music theory, developed in the Baroque period by composers like Bach, are still in use today. Theories about the ways in which chords, scales and notes interact are relevant and used at least to some extent by all but the most experimental composers and bands.

(this excerpt taken from
Influence of Classical Music | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5434940_influence-classical-music.html#ixzz1bvX7Xb3d)

As for critics poo-pooing this or that performance of this or that classical piece... such futile pettiness leaves me speechless.
Because I'll read it tomorrow, good night for now.

The worst thing to do when you come across a classical music snob is to agree with her and say something like "I like Chopin". Because we will ask you "Chopin from whom?" and talk endlessly about how Daniel Barenboim ruined the preludes, how overrated Ashkenazy is.
<3 oooh because looking for differences used to be my hobby. And you may say it's snobby, sure, untill someone will ruin your favourite part. And it will take you ages to find proper performance. Sooo, since I went through it, I love that question.

Llamas
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh, definitely a music snob here. And I'm the worst kind, a classical music snob. A classical music snob beats all kind of music snobs. Only we are allowed to look down on every kind of music. We don't care which one you listen, be it pop, rock, techno or country. They are all popular music to us and we say that all of them together don't have the depth of the smallest part of a Fugue by Bach.
The worst thing to do when you come across a classical music snob is to agree with her and say something like "I like Chopin". Because we will ask you "Chopin from whom?" and talk endlessly about how Daniel Barenboim ruined the preludes, how overrated Ashkenazy is. And then we will attack you; we'll say that there is no way a person who likes alternative rock like you can apperciate Chopin or understand his works. By the time we are finished with you you'll be crying, believe me.

I'm a classical snob, grew up playing classical sax and studied music in university, complete with theory classes, plus aural skills/ear training/sight singing courses... and yet I enjoy music of many, many genres. Of course it drives me nuts in movies when every time someone is listening to classical music, it's some sort of Beethoven's 9th or 5th (Ode to Joy, dear god), Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, or Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik... and don't get me started on Pachelbel's Canon in D. However, if someone looks down on all other types of music, I don't think that's just snobbish; it's closed-minded and means you're not a true fan of music. I view classical music as a whole different category of music from all "popular" stuff. I used to get into arguments with people (including here on the bbs) about the definition of "pop" music. I tend to view it the same way you do, subconsciously... classical music is a whole different thing, and it's amazing. Few people truly appreciate it. The majority of classical music "fans" only like it for the status symbol. They go to concerts to be seen, and they listen to it for the classy label that goes with it.

I am a true fan of classical music. For my birthday a couple years ago, a close friend of mine took me to hear the Minnesota Orchestra perform pieces from Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, and Stravinsky*; it was the best birthday I've had in years. However, I like a massive variety of types of music, and I don't believe that loving classical music means you have to look down on the rest.

*Must note, they didn't perform Flight of the Bumblebee, 1812, Firebird, anything from the Nutcracker, or any of that overdone and overrated stuff.

Llamas
10-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Looking down one's nose at people because they happen to like rock is stupid. It's not being a "classical music snob", it's being an idiot, full stop.
I'll have to agree with you here.

And the Nutcracker suite is adorable... overrated? Hardly! Waltz of the flowers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjXjEKpjCw)
I almost made a clause explaining that I do enjoy some of the most cliche, overrated classical pieces (parts of the Nutcracker, included)... I'm a sucker for most of Tchaikovsky's work, honestly. I'm a big fan especially of angry Russian classical. German stuff is often too "nice".

personal_loans_1
10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Happy reading and good night to you too, you little piece of shit.

Thank you. :*

killer_queen
10-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Maria, my post was not entirely serious. I don't ridicule people for listening to different genres, that should be obvious since I'm writing this post on The Offspring's boards. But I think I have every right to look down when someone who only listens to popular music acts like a music snob because like Bri I put classical music on a very different place from the others and without it one would never appreciate music completely. Enjoying different genres is one thing, listening to music which could be composed in a few minutes and acting like a music authority is another.

And I don't think being influenced by a great composer makes your work notable. I try to keep it as a secret but I love pulp fiction, especially trashy romance novels. Some of them actually are quite good. There is a writer called Eloisa James who is a literature professor at university, giving lectures on Shakespeare. And she writes the cutest romance novels completely inspired Shakespeare. I (and many others) think she is the best in her genre. But still it doesn't make her works counted as literature. No matter how good she is, or whom she is inspired by. And that's the same in music. One could be influenced by Chopin, write songs that are better than this generation's terrible music; but it's not enough to be compared by Chopin himself.

As for performances, I used to think there were no bad performances when I was younger. There were performances that appealed to you and there were ones that did not. But when you listen too many records you start to notice that especially young musicians sometimes don't even understand the forms of the pieces they are playing and talent and a romantic picture on the cover of the CD are not enough to be a good Liszt player. I think I am a good judge of that since I have been accepted in a magazine as a records critique for a couple of months.

Bri, I guess people in US are pretty much like Turks when it comes to classical music. They think knowing Mozart's sonatas, Tchaikovsky's jollier stuff, Canon in D (I could whine about this for hours) and for some weird reason Carl Orff's Carmina Burana makes them a qualified music listener and they think they have to show it by dressing up and sleeping through all the concerts (which is quite annoying because I think they were the reason I couldn't find a ticket for Yo Yo Ma's concert last year).
And I'm very glad to find out you like angry Russians. Very few people do and when you find someone it's always a Flight of the Bumblebee fan. My ex piano teacher used to say it took a trained ear to appreciate the Russian Five. And since we are talking about them I should recommend Boris Berezovsky to you; one of the best Rachmaninov and Liadov performance I've ever heard in years. If you don't want to buy the CD I'll upload it when I'm free.

Oh and, although I don't listen to many other genres like you do I do enjoy pop music occasionally and there was a time I was crazy about gypsy music but I still look down on any other genres. Just like I look down on Eloisa James. That's why I'm a snob, not a just classical music fan. =)

My Name Was Taken
10-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Maria, my post was not entirely serious. I don't ridicule people for listening to different genres, that should be obvious since I'm writing this post on The Offspring's boards.

When reading your post, I thought it was pretty obvious that you weren't ENTIRELY serious.

Duskygrin: I love reading your posts. I honestly do... I feel like I learn something every time I read one. Of course, i get this "my parents made me memorize my encyclopedia when I was 7" vibe from you.

Omni
10-27-2011, 12:08 PM
You're so hot when you act like a completely vile and venomous cunt, Maria.

PS - Show us your tits again.

WebDudette
10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey, stop talking about whatever the fuck you guys are talking about and get back on topic. Pizza!

Llamas
10-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Bri, I guess people in US are pretty much like Turks when it comes to classical music. They think knowing Mozart's sonatas, Tchaikovsky's jollier stuff, Canon in D (I could whine about this for hours) and for some weird reason Carl Orff's Carmina Burana makes them a qualified music listener and they think they have to show it by dressing up and sleeping through all the concerts (which is quite annoying because I think they were the reason I couldn't find a ticket for Yo Yo Ma's concert last year).
I think people are like that all over Europe and the US. It's gross. It's almost sad to go to classical concerts because of the majority of the people there. I always feel in the minority. I don't really dress up, I don't run into all these people I know, and I actually care about the music and don't fall asleep. They're also the reason tickets are so damn expensive sometimes.

And I'm very glad to find out you like angry Russians. Very few people do and when you find someone it's always a Flight of the Bumblebee fan. My ex piano teacher used to say it took a trained ear to appreciate the Russian Five. And since we are talking about them I should recommend Boris Berezovsky to you; one of the best Rachmaninov and Liadov performance I've ever heard in years. If you don't want to buy the CD I'll upload it when I'm free.
So, so true! The angry Russians are massively overlooked. This conversation has caused me to just put on Scheherazade... I never get tired of that violin solo... Mussorgsky and Rimsky-Korsakov are my favorites of The Five. Haven't given too much attention to the others - perhaps I should. And if you get that CD up, I'd love to check it out. :)

killer_queen
10-30-2011, 12:16 PM
It's very hard to find good recordings of others from the five because they are very unpopular. Not just among the listeners but musicians too. Even professors from conservatories don't know Cui. Balakirev is only popular with his Islamey and Borodin is an acquired taste even for the trained ears. I once went to a concert where they played Borodin's symphonies (though I have to admit, I went to it because they played Ravel's left hand concerto and I just love it) and I heard people literally snoring. And of course it looks like the rest of the world isn't very interested in Russians (with the exception of Tchaikovsky) and only musicians who play Russians are Russians. That's why going to concerts is the only choice for some good Russian action. Lucky you, living very close to the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.

bighead384
10-31-2011, 10:02 AM
If it's okay to put classical music on a different (and higher) level, then is it okay to put other genres (cough rap cough) on a lower level?

I just think the way melody is used in rap is routinely a much more elementary thing compared to even alternative rock, which at least often has harmonies and polyphonic parts.

For years, I've just refused the belief that it is somehow inherently snobby to be real about the depth of songwriting in rap music. That doesn't mean I don't recognize that people say stupid things about rap music that are blatantly untrue (ex: it has "no melody" or it "takes no talent to write"). But still, I say rap music has less depth when it comes to things like polyphony, harmony, song structures, time signatures, etc.

Here's sort of random thing that comes to my mind that I find is relevant: I would say that at least 1 out of every 4 people has the ability pick up a guitar or whatever other melodic instrument and routinely be able to make up something that is at least somewhat unique and generally pleasurable to listen to. But how many people can put together multiple melodies, like a guitar part AND vocal part that sounds good? It's literally like a whole different level.

yellow
11-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Who I date

That_Guy91
11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
If it's okay to put classical music on a different (and higher) level, then is it okay to put other genres (cough rap cough) on a lower level?

I just think the way melody is used in rap is routinely a much more elementary thing compared to even alternative rock, which at least often has harmonies and polyphonic parts.

For years, I've just refused the belief that it is somehow inherently snobby to be real about the depth of songwriting in rap music. That doesn't mean I don't recognize that people say stupid things about rap music that are blatantly untrue (ex: it has "no melody" or it "takes no talent to write"). But still, I say rap music has less depth when it comes to things like polyphony, harmony, song structures, time signatures, etc.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people refer to the genre as "rap". Rapping is an activity, not a genre, and it spans lots of different kinds of music (hip hop, reggae, etc.). It's like if I said I listened to guitar music. That can mean a dozen different things (instrumental metal, jazz fusion, classical guitar, etc.). The genre you're referring to is called hip hop.

You can't really look at hip hop the same way you look at other music in the western tradition. For the most part, the focus isn't on melodic texture or harmony. It's about lyricism more than anything else. You really have to listen to it with a different framework in mind, the same way you wouldn't listen to Tuvan throat singing or Balinese Gamelan music the same way you listen to Bach or Mozart.

My Name Was Taken
11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Who I date

That's a good thing to be snobby about.

Scythe Death
11-07-2011, 09:50 PM

I'm a snob about a lot of things, but I find that I'm mostly a snob about people being bad at logic and argumentation.

People that have that have this middle-school oversimplified comprehension of logic and think of things as "facts vs opinion" and prance around like they can say anything and take anyone in a debate make me sick. Just because something is subjective does not mean that it's arbitrary. Opinion are all safeguarded and a person may have uneducated opinions and stupid opinions. Opinions are based on knowledge, comprehension, and reasoning.

In general, I just hate stupid people that try to get into arguments without having the slightest of how to form a proper argument. Yet, it seems like everyone in the world has deluded himself or herself into thinking he is incapable of losing an argument, and that they all have the magical power to win an argument despite not having the slightest education in logic or the subject matter.