PDA

View Full Version : So...Mariachi...

Britpunk
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Now IOTH remains my 3rd fave album (Ignition, then S/T if you're asking), and IOTH had a vague Mexicana overtone, but does the mariachi band turning up for Album #9 fill you with dread or glee?

I'm not quite sure myself. The steel pan band (WDYGAJ) hurt Americana in my head, tho I kinda liked the horns in TWHOE on Splinter. But then RAFRAG was pretty much free from gimmicks and rocked my world.

Thoughts?

Little_Miss_1565
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
I dunno, man. I mean, when The Bronx announced the whole Mariachi El Bronx thing, I was like FUUUUUUCK NOOOOOO. But it turns out that Mariachi El Bronx is great, and I like them even more than The Bronx. Not that we have any reason to expect Mariachi El Offspring here, but this could be dope.

randman21
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I, for one, am really excited about it! Given some of the things they've said about the album so far--most diverse to date, hard-rocking, their current sound in the vein of Smash--I'm expecting big things from it. Though I just have a feeling that the mariachi bit won't be an entire song, just another one of their famous reprises. We'll see.

Britpunk
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Well I sort of like the Bronx, and I sort of like some mariachi, but El Bronx is absolutely not musically related to the Bronx in the slightest.

I'm 100% certain that The Offspring are not going to be putting out a whole record full of the stuff, but I vaguely worry we're straying back into territory that RAFRAG has proven is not needed.

Little_Miss_1565
10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
It depends. Could go either way. Guess we'll find out.

Well I sort of like the Bronx, and I sort of like some mariachi, but El Bronx is absolutely not musically related to the Bronx in the slightest.

My point was that it's all the guys from the Bronx playing mariachi music and it doesn't suck.

Britpunk
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I hope it is dope. Very much so. Maybe it's just a commercial for Gringo Bandito :)

Mucho Macho
10-14-2011, 08:47 AM
I would like it a lot and I'm definitely a fan of all the "Mexican-influenced" things they've done on earlier records so far!!! I kinda missed that on the last records... Some Spanish words/titles or Latin instruments definitely could do the trick for me!!! Count me in as a fan! If they could combine the modern punkrock music from RAFRAG with Latin influences like they did on Ixnay and Americana, this will surely be one of my favorite Offspring records of all time! The Offspring and Mariachi? Yo Creo Que Es De Puta Madre... :cool:

jacknife737
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty excited to hear it: loved their past "mexican/latin" influences they've had in the past.

personal_loans_1
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
With glee, it very much me gusta too.

ThunderPX
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Know what else they should bring back? Songs about committing crimes. No seriously, I'm pretty sure RAFRAG is the only Offspring album not to have one.

(well, and Ixnay unless you really stretch it)

jacknife737
10-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Know what else they should bring back? Songs about committing crimes. No seriously, I'm pretty sure RAFRAG is the only Offspring album not to have one.

(well, and Ixnay unless you really stretch it)

Mota contains a line about buying drugs, no?

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Wait... is it illegal to Kill the President?

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-14-2011, 09:06 PM
But seriously... I hadn't heard about this mariachi stuff. Can someone link me to an interview or something? Or is it just hearsay?

Little_Miss_1565
10-15-2011, 01:01 AM
But seriously... I hadn't heard about this mariachi stuff. Can someone link me to an interview or something? Or is it just hearsay?

Noodles tweeted a photo.

Outerspaceman21
10-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Could be awesome, could suck

I'll wait and see.

ThunderPX
10-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Wait... is it illegal to Kill the President?

No, but it is illegal to behead him.

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Damn, I guess not having a Twitter makes me behind the times :P

Little_Miss_1565
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Damn, I guess not having a Twitter makes me behind the times :P

You can still view it at twitter.com/offspring without having an account, and most posts get posted to Facebook as well.

cool 2 hate 681
10-15-2011, 11:17 PM
i also posted it in the waiting for the new album thread

http://www.offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1443836&postcount=100

keonii7
10-16-2011, 03:23 PM
The more crazy things they do on this album, the better.

I need some mariachi or some When You're In Prison stuff.

Antonioffspring
10-16-2011, 05:13 PM
No worries. Can't wait. Could be intro, interlude or outro...or a part of a song...

Vibraslap, Mariachi, Ronnie King, what else? It's already interesting.

When you're in prison is great, but only if it's 15th song on an album.

KrispyNotKrunchy
10-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Sweet! And I agree that gags like When You're in Prison are cool, but considering The Offspring usually have 14 songs or less on an album, I really don't like the idea of that counting towards one of those.

Tijs
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I never see a reason why the band shouldn't put a song like When You're In Prison on the album. Especially when the given reason is number of tracks.

Either the band releases an album with 11 songs, or the band releases one with 11 songs plus a song like When You're In Prison. I really don't think they're like "Oh, we've only got 11 songs? So let's just make a not-really-song to get a longer tracklist.".

Britpunk
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah I think I'd rather have a 12 track album, with the twelfth track being Offspring mariachi fun, than an 11 track album.

Better yet, an 18 track album. Does anybody make those anymore? The last one I remember is Suicide Machines back in '98...(22 tracks!)

Little_Miss_1565
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Better yet, an 18 track album. Does anybody make those anymore? The last one I remember is Suicide Machines back in '98...(22 tracks!)

Grindcore bands can pack 25 tracks onto an album. Granted that's an album that's not much more than 30 minutes long, but still! 25 tracks! ;)

holland25
10-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Grindcore bands can pack 25 tracks onto an album. Granted that's an album that's not much more than 30 minutes long, but still! 25 tracks! ;)

25?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Agathocles/Razor_Sharp_Daggers/8990

Antonioffspring
10-18-2011, 04:02 AM
I never see a reason why the band shouldn't put a song like When You're In Prison on the album. Especially when the given reason is number of tracks.

Either the band releases an album with 11 songs, or the band releases one with 11 songs plus a song like When You're In Prison. I really don't think they're like "Oh, we've only got 11 songs? So let's just make a not-really-song to get a longer tracklist.".
I'd rather take Splinter with it than without, but there would still be a question why there are only 10 tracks. (Neocon) But I see where you are coming from and I also understand when artists like to do whatever they want, especially punk ones. Some fans just didn't expect something in between an EP and full album; even though there are artists who like to make just 10 song albums (another question is a length then).

It's funny how we didn't get any odd bonus on RFRG. I take it as a punishment. :p I like it when their albums are spiced up with odd things, it suits them. But then, there is Ignition...etc, they like it all kind of ways...

And Splinter is probably one of the reasons why it takes them around 4 years to come out with another album. Even Dexter says that they want to do it properly. (Another reason is when bands like AFI come out with Sing the Sorrow and once weaker band totally blows you away with a killer album with streched song structures, you just don't compare except maybe sales...)

Maybe, it's time for an EP, they seem to have odd songs and maybe they could experiment this way or even test the public opinion.

Or like other bands do it, AFI or Limp Bizkit, they release so many b-sides with an album that it almost makes 20 songs...

Britpunk
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Listened to Americana today. I'd totally forgotten about the Pretty Fly mariachi reprise after Pay the Man. Genius.

Antonioffspring
10-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Oh, and we are going to have 2 drummers which is going to be very interesting.