PDA

View Full Version : Paris and The Japanese Syndrom

Harleyquiiinn
10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
I read this article about a psychiatric problem called the japanese syndrom.

Basically, it's about tourists goin crazy in Paris and apparently, japanese are touched more oftenly than the rest of tourists.

It is because they imagine the Paris of Doisneau, Chanel n°5 and Vuitton and then realize that it is more of an ordinary city with, maybe, a little more dog poop than elsewhere.

This is also due to a culture shock between japanese (shy, polite, discrete, respectful, tidy) and french - especially parisians - who are the complete opposite.

The conclusion of the article is that, maybe, Paris and parisians should adapt to the tourists more.

and yeah, I completely disagree with that.

Not that I think that we shouldn't care about tourists ! After all, Paris is one of the more touristic destination in the world and it's one beautiful city. But we do care about them. I mean, parisians won't tell you to go fuck yourself if you need directions. If they don't answer, it's mostly that they don't speak english (always ask younger people, there is more chance they can answer you).

Now, do we have to adapt the city to tourism ? Maybe in terms of indication. The public transportion is complicated, the geography of the city is complicated and maybe a little more info is needed.

But should parisians adapt ? no way. Yes, café's waiters are not always polite and won't always give you the best service. But they are like that with us too. It's part of the trip.

What I mean is not only for Paris. It is for all touristic cities. I am a tourist myself, and I think I have to adapt to the city I visit. Not the contrary. Visiting a foreign city isn't only about the monuments, it's also about the inhabitants.

I went to Turkey this summer. Great trip, beautiful country. But that was so weird. People were doing so much efforts to welcome tourists that I didn't feel that I went in a different country. That got me frustrated.

For people living in touristic cities, what is your relation to tourists and tourism ?

(of course, I'm sorry for these japanese. Obviously, they have been cheated... but not by us...)

personal_loans_1
10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
This is rather a tendency than psychiatric problem, come on. Japaneese take a lot of pictures and they seem to enjoy seightseeing very much. That's what I obsevred.
I agree about indication, though I like to get lost sometimes, and about attitude, hm, do not change?
I have never been to Paris, but I live in Warsaw, and Warsaw is perceived by people from Poland, like Paris by the rest of the world I think, a little, by some of the people, but still. I love it, but it isn't too fabulous. There are a loooot of great places, but for fuck's sake this is not a NYC. And a lot of people seem to be very disappointed by that.

Have you been in Turkey on package holidays maybe?

Harleyquiiinn
10-21-2011, 09:20 AM
This is rather a tendency than psychiatric problem, come on. Japaneese take a lot of pictures and they seem to enjoy seightseeing very much. That's what I obsevred.
I agree about indication, though I like to get lost sometimes, and about attitude, hm, do not change?
I have never been to Paris, but I live in Warsaw, and Warsaw is perceived by people from Poland, like Paris by the rest of the world I think, a little, by some of the people, but still. I love it, but it isn't too fabulous. There are a loooot of great places, but for fuck's sake this is not a NYC. And a lot of people seem to be very disappointed by that.

Have you been in Turkey on package holidays maybe?

Yes for Turkey, but we went out by ourselves and as soon as they heard french, they were so polite, it was just crazy. Not that I like impolite people, but normal people is cool too...

As for the japanese syndrom, there is a part that IS actually a syndrom. It's like, 20 japanese a year among millions, but the victims won't get out of their hotel room and can become really crazy and depressed. These 20 actually went to a hospital...

jacknife737
10-21-2011, 09:58 AM
To be honest, in Toronto it gets sort of hard to notice tourists. They're always around in huge numbers but they really just don't "stand out" all that much. Kingston really doesn't get that many during the fall/winter: but gets a lot in the summer: but they're usually just from other places in Ontario or from the US so there really isn't much of a "culture shock" going on.

But i would agree, it's definitely up to the tourist to "adapt" to local customs.

Paris is a lovely city, my only real complaints is that the metro needs some AC and cafe's should serve beer that isn't disgustingly expensive (i walked by one place that had the balls to charge over 15 euros per pint). But i'd really like to go back soon.

Antonioffspring
10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
opposite of (shy, polite, discrete, respectful, tidy)

I'd say work on being polite and respectful, you don't have to completely change your personalities. And Japs should work on being less shy, discrete and tidy. It's pretty simple. :)

Turks are going to lick your ..., they want to get into EU. :D

personal_loans_1
10-21-2011, 11:58 AM
As for the japanese syndrom, there is a part that IS actually a syndrom. It's like, 20 japanese a year among millions, but the victims won't get out of their hotel room and can become really crazy and depressed. These 20 actually went to a hospital...
Ok, I see but this is called Paris sydrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome).

Little_Miss_1565
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
What is the point of posting outlandish things with racist language, Dusky, when you're just going to delete it in 10 minutes?

My Name Was Taken
10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
What is the point of posting outlandish things with racist language, Dusky, when you're just going to delete it in 10 minutes?

I think it's a way of letting out emotions without offending too many people.
I read what she said, thought it was a little offensive, but now that she's deleted it, no one else will be offended.

Jojan
10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I heard of it from Q.I.