PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

Apathy
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
I've started smoking.

And I don't know if I want to stop. But I figure, if there is ever a time in which it will be easy to quit, it's now, since It's only been a month or so, and I can go a few days without thinking about it.

So convince me. I know it's horrible for you etc etc etc. But how bad is it really? Especially when it's not excessive? (Somewhere between 0 and 6 cigarettes a day depending on who I'm with and what I'm doing)

http://www.bloomingtonneeds.com/images/american_spirit_blue.jpg

Antonioffspring
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, just stop. It's a negative factor. If you get into a situation where you combine it with alcohol and other health problems...people around 50 year old have huge problems and die like a flies...

It is about eliminating negative things and when people say otherwise, they are in a decadence stage, moral decline. Hope that helps. :)

Apathy
10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
But the short-term positives are so rewarding.

Another question for someone who might know more than me: How is it that plenty of smokers live well into their 80's, 90's, and others die of cancer and heart failure early on? Might there be lurking factors somewhere? Or are some people just naturally more resistant to carcinogens than others?

Alison
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I smoke when I'm drunk, and despite being told this will lead to full on smoking, I haven't ever really felt the urge to have a smoke when I'm sober. And I started drunk-smoking about 2 years ago.

I'm sometimes of the opinion of "stay away from cigarettes or you'll diiiieee" and other times I'm like "whatever, shmoke and drink away!"

personal_loans_1
10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
I simply don't enjoy smoking, so I don't do it. If you enjoy, then smoke. If you have doubts, don't even start. Yeah, it has a negative impact on heatlh, but your own life is your own 100 %. You may smoke 20 a day and stay healthy. As well you may get a lung cancer, without a single cigarette, that you badly wanted to smoke, and that really sucks.
Nicotine makes you feel better and faster thinking at the beginning, but then your body gets used to it. And I don't see the point in smoking something that doesn't makes you feel high. I understand that may relax you or whatever, but that never worked for me. I may occasionally try some strange flavoured ones, but that's all.

bighead384
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I've started smoking.

And I don't know if I want to stop. But I figure, if there is ever a time in which it will be easy to quit, it's now, since It's only been a month or so, and I can go a few days without thinking about it.

So convince me. I know it's horrible for you etc etc etc. But how bad is it really? Especially when it's not excessive? (Somewhere between 0 and 6 cigarettes a day depending on who I'm with and what I'm doing)

This EXACT thing just happened to me a few months ago. I quit buying packs after about 2-3 months of regular smoking because it was expensive and the "nicotine high" became very minimal. The nicotine buzz decreased dramatically after about 2 months for me. I still occasionally smoke at parties and whatnot. A few days ago, I was so bored and depressed about the rest of my workweek that I bought a pack of Snuss Chew Packets or whatever they're called just for some stimulation. No one likes them so they're like $2.50 for 15 packets. The first few of those I had gave me an awesome buzz.

My Name Was Taken
10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't see the appeal. Personally, I think it's disgusting. After I had sex with Matt, we sat outside on the back door-step, and he started smoking. Offered me one. I told him, "First of all, I'm underage." Then I told him smoking was disgusting and not to expect any more kisses for at least an hour.

Chainsaw
10-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Just ask yourself if you really do like it and want to continue, even knowing all the risks involved. If so, go for it, there's no reason to quit.

wheelchairman
10-21-2011, 04:14 PM
If you're getting a nicotine high you're not a smoker.

Cigarettes, like many other things, are a compromise between what feels good and what is good. You can prolong life your life by having no fun in many many ways. Personally, I smoke cause I like it. A lot of my colleagues smoke as well, so in that sense its improved my work environment as well.

Or you can listen to the non-smoking friendless nerds telling you otherwise. Friendless nerds don't want other people to look cool.

bighead384
10-21-2011, 04:33 PM
If you're getting a nicotine high you're not a smoker.

Well, maybe not a nicotine "high" except for like the first few packs you smoke, but it releases endorphins that make you feel good. And that feeling eventually decreases. So basically what I'm saying is, what you feel from one cigarette quickly declines as soon as it becomes a legitimate habit. Which factors into the cost/benefit analysis.

wheelchairman
10-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Cigarettes feel good every time I smoke them. I think it is you who doesn't understand addiction.

TheUnholyNightbringer
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Smoking is cool and makes you attractive to women.

jacknife737
10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm definitely in the "i like to smoke when i drink heavily" crowd.

The thing that keeps me from taking it up on a regular basis is pretty much a the cost, but also i hate the smell stays on my clothes/fingers/hair afterwards.

T-6005
10-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I quit smoking a while ago so I could spend more money on alcohol.

mrconeman
10-21-2011, 08:06 PM
I quit smoking a while ago so I could spend more money on alcohol.

Seriously. I've never been a smoker, not even one of those faggot "I'm a half smoker and smoke when I drink" smokers. Imagine how many pints I've drunk as a direct result of having extra money because I don't smoke? Fuck that.

i mean, I totally understnad why people continue smoking if they are addicted already, but seriously, *starting* smoking, at an age when critical thinking should have kicked in many a year ago. You'd have to be fucking moronic, no?

WebDudette
10-22-2011, 01:49 AM
I never had a desire to smoke because I hate the smell and taste. My parents have been smoking in the house forever, and it's really awful. Every now and then my dad will come into my room with a cigarette and it pisses me the fuck off.

Anyway, my recommendation is to invest in a hookah and smoke it once or twice a week. It taste awesome, smells great, lacks a lot of the poisons cigarettes have, and can give a pretty major high. I don't know if it's the same for smokers, but I really enjoy my hookah.

Offspring-Junkie
10-22-2011, 03:35 AM
I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, I once smoked a cigar while drunk and seldom smoke hookah, saturday was the last time. Before that I haven't smoked hookah in two years.

Alison
10-22-2011, 05:32 AM
i don't see the appeal. Personally, i think it's disgusting. After i had sex with matt, we sat outside on the back door-step, and he started smoking. Offered me one. I told him, "first of all, i'm underage." then i told him smoking was disgusting and not to expect any more kisses for at least an hour.

okay, we get it, you got laid!

Llamas
10-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Crazy, I'd just been thinking about making this very thread. I've been a "social smoker" now for over 4 years, starting with smoking with my roommate, moving on to taking smoking breaks at work with my coworkers, then finally smoking when I feel stressed. In the past 5 months, though, this has quickly progressed. I've now been buying cigarettes, and part of the reason for this is that I've been hanging out with heavy smokers lately who constantly offer me cigarettes. I'm feeling the addiction, and I've been contemplating where to go from here. Studies I've read have shown that people who start smoking later in life have a much easier time quitting, and that people die from smoking-related health problems are more likely to have been smoking from an early age. However, I've been hoping that some people would talk me out of it... tell me how horrible it is and all the reasons I should quit. But most people have just been asking me for cigarettes. I've been buying either slims or menthols lately (once I bought menthol slims) because people are much less likely to ask for a cigarette then ;)

Antonioffspring
10-22-2011, 07:32 AM
But the short-term positives are so rewarding.

Another question for someone who might know more than me: How is it that plenty of smokers live well into their 80's, 90's, and others die of cancer and heart failure early on? Might there be lurking factors somewhere? Or are some people just naturally more resistant to carcinogens than others?
So rewarding, yet so dumb.

Well, Ozzy Osbourne should be dead, so they study him now. Some people are "immortal". Great genes.

If you want to continue, I'd suggest to keep yourself in a good shape, do some sport and eat healthy things. Be aware of other factors, when they start combining, could be dangerous...quit for a while or something. If you won't be able to quit, well, it's playing with a fire, well, it's already playing with a fire. Good luck.

Cigarettes, like many other things, are a compromise between what feels good and what is good.

You can prolong life your life by having no fun in many many ways.

Personally, I smoke cause I like it. A lot of my colleagues smoke as well, so in that sense its improved my work environment as well.

Or you can listen to the non-smoking friendless nerds telling you otherwise. Friendless nerds don't want other people to look cool.
LOL. A nice bias. What about a compromise between what smells bad and what is bad.

Another LOL, yeah, you can't have a fun without smoking. :rolleyes: There are no better things in life. :rolleyes: Live fast, die young is a so teenage strategy that's quite shocking to hear from you. But, everybody has some soft spots somewhere.

Good for you, good for them. But, this universe has a thing called statistics, some people might not be so lucky at the end.

A beautiful decadence from you. Such a stupid generalization. Be cool whatever way you want, I just don't care, I'm willing to give an advice when you want to continue smoking, my previous post.

mrconeman
10-22-2011, 08:41 AM
LOL taking not srs posts srsly

personal_loans_1
10-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Even holding a cigarette is very addictive. However pathetic is it, if I miss something in not smoking then this is it.

If smoking is tolerated at work, then you can get a million justified little breaks for a smoke, while people who don't smoke can not. Really sucks, when you want to quit.

PAC90
10-22-2011, 01:44 PM
I've started smoking.

If you started recently I'd suggest quitting, before it really gets hard. The thing is the bad effects of smoking don't show up right after you start, it takes some years so while it might seem you're not harming your body now you'll feel it when you're older.

As to how bad it is, well smokers are 27 times more likely to contract lung cancer than non smokers. and people who smoke a pack of day have 25% chance of getting chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (which can lead to Respiratory failure)

bighead384
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Cigarettes feel good every time I smoke them. I think it is you who doesn't understand addiction.

I'm not suggesting they don't "feel good". I'm saying one cigarette feels progressively less good over time. Re-read my post, because you obviously missed the point.

Antonioffspring
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
LOL taking not srs posts srsly
Is it aimed at me? No place for joking. At least put there some crazy smiley if "you" are not serious...

Apathy
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Friendless nerds don't want other people to look cool.

I may start saying this.

Anyway, my recommendation is to invest in a hookah and smoke it once or twice a week. It taste awesome, smells great, lacks a lot of the poisons cigarettes have, and can give a pretty major high. I don't know if it's the same for smokers, but I really enjoy my hookah.

Not to shit on you, but I really just can't get anything out of hookahs. I've used one probably 10-15 times, and despite most of my friends enjoying them I just can't seem to identify a purpose. I have never once felt a high, and I have never once been able to identify a flavor (beyond a vague...this might be kinda sweet? But I can't tell). But I do have one already. My roommate wanted one so we split the cost.

wheelchairman
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
If you have an opinion on smoking and you don't smoke, you're a faggot. I mean that in the asshole sense of the term, not the cornhole sense. If you think anti-smoking is some act of critical thinking you're also a faggot, in the cornhole sense. In fact if you think smoking is anything other than cool you're probably a closet fag, in both senses of the term.

P.s. Anti-smoking attitudes are so prevalent i expect half of you to tell us that fatty foods are bad and that milli vanilli don't sing their own songs. Dear people, the 90s were a long time ago, your 'wisdom' should stay where it belongs.

P.p.s, by that I mean it belongs in the 90s, since some of you have a problem with subtlety I thought I'd clarify. Fags. (i mean cigarettes)

mrconeman
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I agree completely with Wheelchairman, but I'd also like to add that if you have an opinion on not-smoking and you don't not-smoke then your a fag (asshole, cornhole, and cigarette.)

wheelchairman
10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Well clearly we should open a don't-not-non-smoking bar together.

dff_punk
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I smoke for about 8 years now. I cough my insides out every morning, especially after drinking, cause when drunk, you smoke sooo much fucking more cigarettes. Sometimes smoking too much gives a worse feelings the day after than a hangover. Yeah it sucks. And now you know.

My Name Was Taken
10-24-2011, 07:15 AM
I smoke for about 8 years now. I cough my insides out every morning, especially after drinking, cause when drunk, you smoke sooo much fucking more cigarettes. Sometimes smoking too much gives a worse feelings the day after than a hangover. Yeah it sucks. And now you know.

Haven't smoked a day in my life, and i cough like that every day >.<

Harleyquiiinn
10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Ah, I'm a social smoker and I wish I wasn't.

My boyfriend hates that I smoke which is really cool. I never smoke when he's around or when I know I'm going to see him. As a result, it's been 9 years that I smoke approximatively the same thing.

So I wish I didn't have the urge to smoke when I am in a bar with friends who do. But I don't have the desire to quit the few I smoke.

Being addicted is crap though.
To me, not becoming an avid smoker isn't really a matter of long term health. We'll all die of something, so...

It's really a matter of everyday life : the cough, the stress of not being able to smoke, the constant smell, the reduced stamina.... Not for me.

Offspring-Junkie
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
If you have an opinion on smoking and you don't smoke, you're a faggot. I mean that in the asshole sense of the term, not the cornhole sense. If you think anti-smoking is some act of critical thinking you're also a faggot, in the cornhole sense. In fact if you think smoking is anything other than cool you're probably a closet fag, in both senses of the term.

P.s. Anti-smoking attitudes are so prevalent i expect half of you to tell us that fatty foods are bad and that milli vanilli don't sing their own songs. Dear people, the 90s were a long time ago, your 'wisdom' should stay where it belongs.

P.p.s, by that I mean it belongs in the 90s, since some of you have a problem with subtlety I thought I'd clarify. Fags. (i mean cigarettes)

This is so wrong, I don't understand why I'm the only one complaining. It's like saying: "If you have an opinion on heroin and you have never taken any, you're a faggot!" Replace it with anything you like, it's still dump. Moron.

Have you ever given Brad Pitt a smoke? You know what you see? Brad Pitt smoking.

Have you ever given a loser a smoke? You know what you see? A loser smoking.

It ain't the smoking that makes people interesting. It's the people themselves. You can't tell me that everyone that smokes looks cool, that's so dump, but I'm damn sure you have something to add just to deny this.
I mean this in the common sense.

mrconeman
10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Good God....

Apathy
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I wonder what he was trying to say that it translated it to dump. Interestingly enough, I think the true answer may encompass both garbage and feces.

Antonioffspring
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Wcm and cone, what a couple of fags. Go smoke each other in whatever sense you want. :)

mrconeman
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
You just want to watch. I'm cool with that, though I'll have to run it by WCM.

Hey, WCM, condom or pill?

killer_queen
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I have said this a couple of times before but whatever. I think smoking is cool and I think a smoker is always sexier than a non-smoker. And I think if I smoked I would be a much cooler person now. I really wanted to smoke when I was younger, even when I was a child. Both of my parents and the rest of my family smoked and seeing my attitude towards smoking they all thought I would start smoking one day. However I didn't. Once I tried it and totally hated it just like every one on their first try. I don't know why, I just thought it was pointless to try harder to like it.
So, anyway. Go for it, it's cool and probably it makes you look cool. My only consolation is the fact that non-smokers can get much more taste from cigars. And everyone knows that cigars are cooler than cigarettes.
I also wanted to be like the men who smoked cigars and drank whiskey like I saw in the movies. Unfortunately I don't like whiskey either. I guess it's my faith to be a girl with pigtails and drink chocolate milk.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-01-2011, 05:42 AM
My absolute serious advice would be - if you're going to smoke, smoke a pipe. Preferably a long-stem churchwarden / briar pipe. If you're goingg to do something really harmful (and I say this as a smoker myself, I just don't much care) at least have the ability to pretend you're Sherlock Holmes while you do it.

I don't know what it is about smoking a pipe but, compared to cigarettes, it's damn relaxing. To be sat on the back porch contentedly puffing away on a pipe while reading, or listening to music, is a serenity that I absolutely guarantee no non-smoker has ever felt. Because non-smokers are nerds.

Llamas
11-01-2011, 06:21 AM
My absolute serious advice would be - if you're going to smoke, smoke a pipe. Preferably a long-stem churchwarden / briar pipe. If you're goingg to do something really harmful (and I say this as a smoker myself, I just don't much care) at least have the ability to pretend you're Sherlock Holmes while you do it.

I don't know what it is about smoking a pipe but, compared to cigarettes, it's damn relaxing. To be sat on the back porch contentedly puffing away on a pipe while reading, or listening to music, is a serenity that I absolutely guarantee no non-smoker has ever felt. Because non-smokers are nerds.

I like this. I think I should switch from cigarettes to pipes and cigars. They really are so much cooler. I wanna be that chick who asks to go outside for a smoke, and then shows up with a pipe. Plus, slowly walking into a crowded room with a pipe in your mouth and hands in your pockets >>>> slowly walking into a crowded room with a cigarette in your mouth and hands in your pockets.