PDA

View Full Version : the sum is greater than it's parts.

WebDudette
10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
What are some albums you think are made better when listened to in whole? A lot of my favorite albums or ones I listen to the most are not necessarily the ones I think are the 'best' or most consistent albums. There are tons of albums that are basically a couple of singles and a handful of garbage, what I'm talking about is themed albums, concept albums, or albums that just flow together perfectly.

Circle Takes the Square - As the Roots Undo*
Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People Are the Luckiest People in the World
Give up the Ghost - We're Down 'til We're Underground
Have Heart - Songs to Scream at the Sun
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
and maybe Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy

I'm pretty sure I have more, but these are the ones that I think really represent what I'm talking about.

*This album reached it's full potential, it's as close to perfect as any album could get. In regards to the topic that is, I don't actually listen to it often, I definitely have to be in the right mood.

obligatory mention of 'in the aeroplane over the sea'.

Free?
10-23-2011, 11:02 AM
the sum is greater than it's parts

'It's' is a contraction of 'it is'. So technically you said 'the sum is greater than it is parts'.
(had to re-phrase to match the situation)

This topic seems like a good one, but thinking about my take on albums, most of stuff I listen to I enjoy as whole albums. Not that I listen music much nowadays.
It doesn't need to be at musical cohesiveness level of NIN's The Fragile to be an enjoyable thing to me without leaving any tracks out.

WebDudette
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
This topic seems like a good one, but thinking about my take on albums, most of stuff I listen to I enjoy as whole albums.

I almost exclusively listen to whole albums, or at least the first half before I get bored of the band and move onto the next one. Sometimes I'll repeat a song on an album a couple times, but for the most part I listen to albums. What I was trying to get at is albums that are significantly better as a whole or are purposefully arranged that way, as opposed to a collection of songs in random order.

Some other contenders:

the Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
the Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
La Dispute - The Worth of the World*
and maybe Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

*it's a two song contribution to a split, so not really an album, but the songs are fantastic. I don't even like La Dispute's other stuff.

WebDudette
10-23-2011, 10:17 PM
(had to re-phrase to match the situation)

a quote from over two and a half years ago, have you just been waiting for me to mess up (I assure you it has happened many, many times since then) or...?

I don't mind being corrected, but I hope you don't think I was attacking you. It seems I was just trying to explain the difference because it seemed like you weren't clear on it.

Free?
10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
a quote from over two and a half years ago, have you just been waiting for me to mess up (I assure you it has happened many, many times since then) or...?

I don't mind being corrected, but I hope you don't think I was attacking you. It seems I was just trying to explain the difference because it seemed like you weren't clear on it.

Believe it or not, but that spelling lesson from two years ago got stuck in my memory, I believe I haven't used "it's" in the place of "its" for once ever since. Not sure why, it struck me when I saw this thread, but it did, so I fired away. :)

No more offtopic.

ad8
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Generator by Bad Religion and Buena Vista Social Club (self-titled)

RageAndLov
10-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Undoubtedly Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

jasonvin
11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Revenge must be this.

Sometimes I'll repeat a song on an album a couple times, but for the most part I listen to albums.

jacknife737
11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Though i do love all their songs individually, i'd definitely say that for

Against Me! - Searching For a Former Clarity
Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

the listening experience is definitely enhanced by listening to the entirety of the album front to back. I'd almost go as far as to say that SFAFC is a borderline concept record.

Little_Miss_1565
11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Totally agreed on the GY!BE, but I love "For Real" from Black Sheep Boy and resent the other songs on the album for not being "For Real."

I would say that I like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Henry's Dream more than the individual songs, though some of those songs are my all time favorites.

Jakebert
11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
GY!BE albums are meant to be a whole piece though, so I dunno if that counts. I don't think the band intend for any of those songs to work as standalone pieces of music.

RODNEYMULLEN
11-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Sum 41s chuck. The japanese version with the three bonus tracks.

jacknife737
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I've been on a Bloc Party kick the past week or so (great music to listen to while writing term papers) and i'd like to add A Weekend in the City to this, all the songs just transition so awesomely with one another.