PDA

View Full Version : The American Family

My Name Was Taken
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
In my English class, we are writing essays on the American Family. Today, we compared our families to families such as the Cleavers. (Leave It To Beaver) It got me thinking…

My family is nothing like the stereotypical family of the fifties, it never has been. When my mother was working, I spent most of my time with my brother and my (not quite) step father, every other weekend with my real father.

Now that my mother is disabled and no longer works, she’s ALWAYS home; I no longer visit my real father, I have no desire to; and my mother and step father are no longer together. I’m to the point where I avoid going home because I can’t stand being near my mother. Her voice seems like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I spend a lot of my time at my old foster home. At least there I kind of have a family. Of course, even that home is broken. Coleen (mom) spends all of her time playing World of Warcraft. Steve (dad) spends most of his time at work. He has to pay the bills, right? (The last internet bill was $200 thanks to two lines and WOW) The rest of the time is spent in his garage or on the couch watching TV. They no longer have foster children because neither parent is ever home. Steve’s at work, and Coleen’s off in her fantasy world. All of their children (except Brandy) have grown up and moved out. I go over there to spend time with my “sister”. We are the only family that we’ve got, even though it’s not biological family.