PDA

View Full Version : Possibly getting a new flat today

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Come crash round my place so I can relive my youth.

Llamas, good news, it's in Europe!

Llamas
11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm not too sure I get your comment to me - you should explain :P Are you still living in Birmingham? Was that it? I will totally come surf your couch next time I make it to England, whether you like it or not!

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-01-2011, 06:22 AM
It's just outside Birmingham, aye.

The Birmingham in Europe!

Llamas
11-01-2011, 07:06 AM
You are making fun of me, I'm pretty sure, but I don't get it :(

Omni
11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
It's 'cause like, Europe is so much better than the USA.

Silly Americans with their "states." How antiquated :rolleyes:

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 05:56 AM
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/europe_map.jpg

WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

I totally got the flat by the way.

wheelchairman
11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Congrats. If apartment searching is anything like here, its hell until its over. :)

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Actually I decided to move out 4 days ago, was stupidly easy.

Llamas
11-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Did you guys know that Europe is, like, the coolest ever? I mean, I'm pretty sure it's cooler than America. It's super cool that you found a "flat" (oooh European language!) in Europe!

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Europe has lots of flats and lots of interesting things to see!

0r4ng3
11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks to my culturally retarded American brain, I thought at first this thread was about car trouble after reading the title.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Well to read it in that sense would mean I'm purchasing a punctured tyre. I ain't that retarded.

*dribble*

mrconeman
11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
lol @ americans.
I like being European.

Dave - I like that you're one of the sensible (see: not a fucking retard) British people who realises Britain is a member state of Europe, not it's own continent.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
germany has caused warz.

rooooooyal britannia
marmalade and jaaaam

mrconeman
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Let's gather at the cenotaph and do British things like laying wreaths, and using clever word play.

I'll bring the crumpets.

I was in England once for about 20 minutes. It was cold.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh the irony! (we do that really well too)

Al Coholic
11-02-2011, 10:41 AM
You know why the metric system never took hold here?

Too many syllables.

To replace "inch" "foot" "yard" and "mile" with centimeter, decimeter, meter, and kilometer is just gonna take too long. It makes every cubic centilliter of our blood boil.

they should've had nicknames instead of all this prefix-suffix nonsense.

Also why don't you guys tip well? It's not that hard.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I want to see the phrase "Threp'ny bit" come back into circulation. From now on, by TUNB Decree, the centimetre shall be the Threp'ny bit.

We don't tip well because most servers in the UK are miserable arseholes.

Offspring-Junkie
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm getting a new flat tomorrow. It's nice, not far away from a subway station, good shopping opportunities, price is okay, friends are near and I like the district. Even my favoured cinema isn't far away! I can go for a walk at a very nice area, like I'm used to it. Had to wait for it for more than two years though. Well, I'm happy so far.

killer_queen
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I got a new flat too (by the way if flat is the European word for it, what's the American version?). You should visit me Bri. Istanbul counts as Europe. And there's nothing to do in England anyway.

Omni
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure flat is just another word for an apartment or condo or something. I've heard the term used here in America several times, actually.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it's just another work for an apartment. I have absolutely no idea what a condo is.

And there's plenty to do in England, provided you're quite a heavy drinker. Most activities will include a trip to the pub at some point. This is because British people don't hae a liver - just a space where theirr regrets live.

Omni
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
A condo ("condominium") is just an apartment you own instead of rent.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Ohhh! I see! I've wondered what one of them was on and off for years.

The Talking Pie
11-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Also why don't you guys tip well? It's not that hard.

Because minimum wage laws here apply equally to those in the food service industry.

personal_loans_1
11-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Condominium sounds like a name for a chemical element.

PAC90
11-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Actually about the tips i once went to a chinese restaurant in London And the girl working there didn't give me any change assuming that it was her tip. when i asked for my change i got it back but insulted in chinese -_-

personal_loans_1
11-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Would you leave a tip if she hadn't take it automatically? How much was that?

PAC90
11-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Forgot to answer this. it was like a 17 pound bill and i payed with 20 pounds. I probably would have left a tip because people had told me its normal to do so but if she just kept the change it's rude of her

personal_loans_1
11-13-2011, 05:44 AM
la la la laa la laaaaa : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc#t=00m33s

Al Coholic
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Because minimum wage laws here apply equally to those in the food service industry.

So? minimum wage is not a living wage. I might only make 4 instead of 7 dollars an hour, but when I was a bartender I'd average 15-20. And you Brits were notorious for requesting all kinds of ridiculous things, and then tipping 0-7%. And then not understanding when the next day you got the slowest service at the bar.

Llamas
11-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Min wage is higher in England than in the US. It's around $10/hr in England. In most of Europe, serving staffs earn a livable salary. I think it's kinda messed up to pass the responsibility for a server's livelyhood on to the customer so directly, after they're already paying for their meals. Of course when I'm in the US I tip well (15% for average service, 18-20% for above average, 10% or lower for bad service, depending)... but it bothers me to no end that this is the system. Servers here can actually get raises from the restaurant and bring home a guaranteed salary rather than depending on the night.

Omni
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I agree it's kind of bs just to be expected to tip regardless of service or whatever, but truthfully, that's the way the busted system works. It's probably never going to change. I almost always tip around 30%, more sometimes. I tip the hairstylist usually 50% or so.

To me, it's just a cost you factor in when you go out to eat.

Al Coholic
11-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Exactly, it's a cost factor. If you weren't tipping, then either your meal would be pricier, or the service would suck because they can't afford to have that many servers. So actually, you're not paying any more.

The difference is the service staff is motivated to do a good job, whereas hourly employees in a lowly position like waiting tables are much more likely to be people doing the minimum to not get fired. I actually think it's a better system because it makes for a better staff.

Omni
11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
You'd think so, at least. I think a lot of people who rely on tips just feel entitled to a good tip regardless of the level of service. You're smart enough to figure out how to keep a correlation between good service and good tipping; provide excellent service everytime and get tipped well, or remember the shitty tipper and add them to the "d-list" and hope they figure out they're helping perpetrate a serious faux pas in our society. Some people just suck at their jobs, however, and just want a tip for being there because it's what people are "supposed to do."

Again, I usually tip well no matter what, but placing that duty on the customer will always feel like the product of a broken system to me. I'm used to it by now, so I never complain about it. Although it does kind of feel good knowing you can make a person's day by leaving them a nice little commission.

Al Coholic
11-13-2011, 07:22 PM
there's soooooo much more that goes into just being there.

I mean if you're service sucks but it's busy, let it go. If you wan't to leave a bare minimum 15-20% tip that's fine, but atleast understand that this person is overwhelmed and probably dealing with a few dickish customers. Try running a bar where there's two bartenders responsible for 120 people, or running twelve tables at a time and see if your service isn't to-the-point-what-the-fuck-do-you-want-I-have-shit-to-do. Then you get that table of four forty year old women who have no idea what they want and ask 20,000 questions before finally ordering a bud light or a turkey club. Now I'm way back on my people and I gotta run around to get this asshole another diet coke and fuck me the kitchens taking way too long on that burger. What the fuck do you want me to do, exactly? Go back there and fart on the grill so that the methane causes the gas to ignite and instantly cook your burger to a perfect 'sort of medium well but a little closer to medium, but definately not medium' burger? Or how about I'd totally like to get you a drink but this guy at the bar is asking me the price of literally every drink and he finally settles on a long island, bothering me the whole time to 'hook it up bro.' Then the next guy orders a coconut rum and pineapple for his girl and she complains its not strong enough. Bitch, it's coconut rum. Shit's about 20% alcohol, literally the least alcoholic bottle not called a liqueur. It actually freezes in a freezer. Don't order weak shit and tell me its not strong enough. God forbid I have to use the bathroom in all this. I mean, if I have an feeling I might poop I'll actually take an anti-diahreall and just deal with it in the morning. But for fucks sake, I have to pee, and you wanted me to what, take a moment to laugh about your lame weather-related joke I already hear 4 times a week and fuck around with you while 32 other people glared at me all 'where the fucks my service?'. No, tell me what you want and I'll bring it to you. And remember, when it's all said and done I get to clean this place up, and nobody tips me for that.

But you know if it's not that busy and the service still sucks then don't tip that well. I mean, we're all allowed to have a bad day and say, 'fuck it, I'll go to work but I'm gonna just drag ass today, even if it costs me a couple bucks'
right?

EDIT: But then ofcourse you get Europeans who think they're being really nice by just being civil and giving you a few bucks for busting your ass. I'd consider it more of a "broken system" when everyone gets to take their sweet fucking time being a prick while tables of actually good patrons get dicked over and the server has no motivation past 'what's the line of how high I can get before work and still not get fired'