PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite words/phrases

bighead384
11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I've always been a fan of "parched". The sound of that word just seems to capture the essence of severe thirst so very well.

When I'm telling a story and I want to let someone know that I was REALLY, and I mean REALLY pissed...I either use "livid" or "furious".

Jojan
11-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I say "bajs" a lot, so that can be considered as my favourite. Sometimes I say "din mamma" which is good as well.

Outerspaceman21
11-10-2011, 01:57 PM
I've been using "hierarchy" and "lucid" a lot lately. I like those words.

Scythe Death
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the word "defenestration" because it's very specific, silly, negative, and phonoaesthetic.

abba111
11-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I like the word "frustration" because it's quite negative and I love using this word whenever I'm frustrated":D

cat444
11-13-2011, 12:13 AM
I like the word "frustration" because it's quite negative and I love using this word whenever I'm frustrated":D

Hey abba111, do you like the Abba band because I notice your nick. I love them too.
my word is "shimmering" since I love those things that shine with a soft , slightly wavering light:):):)

holland25
11-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Holy shit, a bot conversation!

Drako198
11-13-2011, 01:09 PM
here are my fave phrases..

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them... "
"Don't make me write your name on my shit list!"
"Your lips are moving, but all I hear is 'BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...' ...

:p

jacknife737
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Currently my two favorite words are "structure" and "epistemology".

Harleyquiiinn
11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeaDQ6sPs0

And that's my favorite word :cool:

personal_loans_1
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I was suspicious, but: http://www.o-chateau.com/stuff-parisians-like/the-word-putain.html

My second word in French. Deeply moved.

bighead384
11-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I thought people who tend to be so passionate about debating would have a few favorite phrases to add. Then again, I can't think of anymore for some reason.

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
My favourite words at the moment are lackadaisical, moribund, verismilitude and acquiesence. And yes I do find ways to get them into conversation.

samseby
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Albeit, henceforth & thus are somehow fascinating.

T-6005
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Quasi-object. Even though I'm not a fan of a lot of progressive geography terms.

Omni
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I like using southern phrases whenever I can. As much as the southern accent has always gotten on my nerves, I've come to embrace the unique vernacular. I used to say "I reckon" to be funny, now it's something that's part of my everyday speech. Gotta be careful for things like that, they'll sneak up on you. Other phrases I use every now and again:

Fair-to-middlin'.
Not enough room to cuss a cat.
Coon's age ("Ain't seen you in a coon's age").
Much obliged.

There are probably half a dozen more that I can't think of at the moment.

bighead384
11-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Ah, I remembered one!

Calling someone a "smacked ass". Older folks generally say this, so I sort of say it ironically, but I find that it perfectly describes the essence of a miserable person who just sucks to be around. Someone who legitimately does not enjoy life and makes it as unenjoyable as possible for others.

"Boy, that John's a smacked ass".

XYlophonetreeZ
11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
My favorite phrases are generally ones I come up with spontaneously. For instance, my preferred "I don't give a ___" phrase is "I don't give an ass." People say "I don't give a damn/shit/fuck/rat's ass" all the time but it's rarely just ass. So that's kinda my thing.

I also like to say "W. T. Fuck."

TheUnholyNightbringer
11-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Ah, I remembered one!

Calling someone a "smacked ass". Older folks generally say this, so I sort of say it ironically, but I find that it perfectly describes the essence of a miserable person who just sucks to be around. Someone who legitimately does not enjoy life and makes it as unenjoyable as possible for others.

"Boy, that John's a smacked ass".

There's a very similar one in the UK - "John's got a face like a smacked arse". I always rather liked it too.

Because my local dialect is so backward and weird, we have a lot of odd phrases that people use all the time, that are utterly mistifying to outsiders.

I'll give a few, typed out in the accent in which they're said; see if you can guess what they mean.

Ark at 'er, ark at 'im, ark at 'um.
Ar could ayt a scabby oss.
Keep off the 'oss road!
Yer daft ha'p'orth!
It were bostin',

Have fun!

PS. I've also started to use the phrase "It's colder than my ex-wife's christmas cards" to describe the whether. It highly amuses me at least, which is the important thing.

Omni
11-17-2011, 09:05 AM
PS. I've also started to use the phrase "It's colder than my ex-wife's christmas cards" to describe the whether. It highly amuses me at least, which is the important thing.

Aah, I do like that one quite a bit. I like making up analogies, too. Here are a couple I thought of:

"Dirtier than an '80s blood test."
"I'll beat you like a drum made of runaway slaves."
"You could make more money selling Rocawear at a KKK rally."

Lord Phidias
11-18-2011, 03:50 AM
I like to say "queef" when I'm alone in my room, I laugh by myself because of the meaning and because it sounds funny.

I will never grow up.