PDA

View Full Version : Family=Love?

bighead384
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
What if it were more common for people to go through life with the belief that just because you are related by blood to someone doesn't mean you should feel obligated to love them? Also, I'm curious about how this idea came to be almost uniformly accepted.

I'm having one of those "I hope I didn't already make this thread before" moments...

Jakebert
12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Because it's a partially social, partially biological instinct. Humans have long childhoods compared to other animals, so we need a stronger family unit than other animals to see us through that time. And, we also have a longer period of being elderly than most animals, and then the family unit becomes just as important. Without a family unit or caregiver of some kind we'd die and family fulfills that function.

bighead384
12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Because it's a partially social, partially biological instinct. Humans have long childhoods compared to other animals, so we need a stronger family unit than other animals to see us through that time. And, we also have a longer period of being elderly than most animals, and then the family unit becomes just as important. Without a family unit or caregiver of some kind we'd die and family fulfills that function.

Well, that applies only to parents caring for children in youth, and children caring for their elderly parents. I'm also talknig about brothers and sisters, and cousins, and grandparents etc. That also assumes that because someone has performed this caregiver function, they are worthy of love. Sure that sounds selfish and cruel, but some parents are just pieces of shit that do little more than let their children live under their roof and eat their food until they are 18 or so.

Jakebert
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Brothers and sisters do serve a function in raising siblings. It's why most people who grew up without siblings tend to have social issues, whether they be ones tied to arrogance and narcissism or just being socially awkward.

Family love is partially biological, so even if you have a horrible mother there's still going to be feelings of love there, which is why the resentment that happens in situations like this is so strong, because one often feels that the love they felt was not reciprocated.

Jojan
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
No, family is not the exact same thing as love.

"=" is not the same thing as "is" since, "=" is commutative, and "is" is not. So everybody, please stop using "=" as a synonym to "is".

T-6005
12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Relax, Jojan. It = not that big a problem.

Coral
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
bighead, so who do you hate in your familly? :D

personal_loans_1
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
It is a common thing to hate the siblings, I think. At least most of people I know hate their siblings, including me. And the only child stereotype is just a stereotype.