PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Holland is one of the worst vocalists ever?

RonWelty
12-07-2011, 06:55 AM
NME thinks so.
http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=11519&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more11519

KHWHD
12-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Lol, whatever. :rolleyes:

personal_loans_1
12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
It's always interesting to read some constructive criticism. Unfortunately, his explanations are just very unoriginal metaphores.

holland25
12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
lolwut? Bob Dylan? Really?

Jojan
12-07-2011, 09:16 AM
That is just one persons opinion. Not NME's. And I am guessing that he is just basing his opinion on that one song.

They just want people to buy their magazine and visit their website, so they will write just about anything. And just look at their best 150 tracks over the last 15 years (http://www.nme.com/list/150-best-tracks-of-the-past-15-years/248648/page/15). Maybe you should not read what NME writes any more.

Greekoldfan
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I think I saw the Spicegirls in the 150 best songs...I quit!!!

That is just one persons opinion. Not NME's. And I am guessing that he is just basing his opinion on that one song.

They just want people to buy their magazine and visit their website, so they will write just about anything. And just look at their best 150 tracks over the last 15 years (http://www.nme.com/list/150-best-tracks-of-the-past-15-years/248648/page/15). Maybe you should not read what NME writes any more.

keonii7
12-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Not gonna give 'em the satisfaction of my click.

KTILLA23
12-07-2011, 10:30 AM
That top ten list sucks! A least half of those people don't deserve to be on there! Same goes for the top 150 songs.

randman21
12-07-2011, 11:11 AM
In a list where Amy Lee is below Mark Knopfler and Michael Jackson (neither of whom should be there), I question the credibility of the author.

lolwut? Bob Dylan? Really?
Do you disagree? Dylan is always my go-to for why technical skill doesn't always make you a good artist, and vice versa. :D

I think I saw the Spicegirls in the 150 best songs...I quit!!!
Haha. I like Spice Girls, but yeah. 150 is a lot of songs, though. I could give them that.

holland25
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Do you disagree? Dylan is always my go-to for why technical skill doesn't always make you a good artist, and vice versa. :D

But his vocals are not so bad... He definitely shouldn't have topped the list...

KHWHD
12-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry, but I think Neil Young should be on that list. The most whiney voice I've ever heard in my life. :o

Tijs
12-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Don't you talk shit about Neil Young, woman!

KHWHD
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Haha, sorry. But I can't stand his voice. :p

Omni
12-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Bob Dylan, Brian Johnson, Billy Corgan, Billie Joe Armstrong, Janis Joplin. All great singers who would never make it past the first round of American Idol, but went on to help define the music of a decade+. I've always thought that it's more important for a vocalist to be unique and instantly recognizable than it is to be "good." Sure, some people can't stand any of those singers' voices, but a lot of people find them interesting. It's not like they sing out of key or anything, their voices just sound weird.

Maribell01
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for both of them, they look awesome! I'm definately gonna order again sometime ^_^ Thank you
I will often visit your forum

Gustavo
12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for both of them, they look awesome! I'm definately gonna order again sometime ^_^ Thank you
I will often visit your forum

You're welcome! After your post, I'm thinking of buying Dexter Holland's horrible voice, as well. Maybe I could get a discount if I bought it and Bob Dylan's voice?

cool 2 hate 681
12-07-2011, 07:35 PM
fuck this guy i wish i had dexters voice then i could start my own offspring cover band:cool:

Thomas
12-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Amy Lee and Michael Jackson are both Top 10 worst singers ever? What the hell is this guy smoking?

Outerspaceman21
12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
On that list are some of the most distinct singers I've ever heard. You hear Billy Corgan, Bob Dylan or Dexter Holland's voice, you recognize them instantly, but I guess NME (or the person who wrote the article, Priya Elan, to be specific) believes that everyone band/singer should have the same cookie cutter voice.

This just boils down to another stupid best of/worst of list from some lame music magazine. There is just something about musical criticism like this that rubs me the wrong way, so I tend to not take it seriously.

yellow
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I love Dexter 's voice

danitanev
12-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Well this list is funny - for that guy these are the worst singers, but for others they could be the best ever!

And for me Dexter is The Best singer and songwriter ever!

PS - Noodles is The Best guitarist, Greg K is the best bass player and Pete is The Best drummer. All together in The Offspring is The Best Band Ever!

Harleyquiiinn
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
lol, I'm not sure that I disagree.

I really love the Offspring and Dexter's voice fits very well in the context of their music. (And Dexter's voice is one of the reason I really don't like Kristy)

But yeah, he's definitely not what I consider a great vocalist.

It doesn't matter though. E from the Eels is not a great vocalist either but his music is not less perfect because of it.

mrconeman
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Well this list is funny - for that guy these are the worst singers, but for others they could be the best ever!

And for me Dexter is The Best singer and songwriter ever!

PS - Noodles is The Best guitarist, Greg K is the best bass player and Pete is The Best drummer. All together in The Offspring is The Best Band Ever!

Don't worry you'll stop thinking that some time around turning 16.

dexter12296566
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah but how good is that source. I get that it's NME but whatever. Most of those singers are good singers. Michael Jackson is awesome! Bob Dylan is awesome. Amy Lee, too... I mean, really....

No, they are the best and people said the same stuff to me... I am 17 and I still think so!

mrconeman
12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm 23 (next month) and I still love the band almost as much as I ever did. It's just that anyone that sincerely claims they're the best band in the world is delusional. For a plethora of reasons. I know it's just a turn of phrase though, and I'm pretty sure the person I quoted probably wasn't taking it so literally.

Llamas
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Not everyone has an objective view of music... I know people who believe Nickelback is the best ever... people who actually study music and take it seriously are able to distinguish between music they love... and music that takes an extreme amount of talent.

Dexter is objectively a pretty bad singer. The band isn't really technically skilled on their instruments. Doesn't mean I don't love their songs and their energy, though. I don't even always like music that's technically awesome and involves really talented musicians. That's not always the most important. But yeah, Dex is not a particularly great singer. I love his voice, though.

RonWelty
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Not everyone has an objective view of music... I know people who believe Nickelback is the best ever... people who actually study music and take it seriously are able to distinguish between music they love... and music that takes an extreme amount of talent.

Dexter is objectively a pretty bad singer. The band isn't really technically skilled on their instruments. Doesn't mean I don't love their songs and their energy, though. I don't even always like music that's technically awesome and involves really talented musicians. That's not always the most important. But yeah, Dex is not a particularly great singer. I love his voice, though.

I'm with you. I don't know why but I love his "studio" voice. But he's crap live. We have to admit it. But he knows how to do music and has (had?) creativity.

Llamas
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm with you. I don't know why but I love his "studio" voice. But he's crap live. We have to admit it. But he knows how to do music and has (had?) creativity.

Agreed here. He's got creative talent, and he's good at writing some damn good energetic music with interesting lyrics. His voice suits the music, but he's definitely lacking live and sounds awful when his voice is bared in slower songs, like Kristy.

Retard
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I didn't know half of those people on that list. But I agree with dylan being kind of a shitty singer to me at least. In the early days it was nasally and whiney, now it sounds like there's something caught in his throat and he's trying to cough it up, but he's got some weird phlem coming up. Great songwriter though.
I kinda agree with the writer about dexter, yea he's technically kind of meh, but it doesn't mean it sucks. It's his opinion who gives a fuck. I love music journalism like that.

PAC90
12-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Still Dexter voice is pretty fitting on his type of music, I can't imagine many songs sounding as good as they do sung by anyone else. Dexter's voice may not be very good but he's an excelent song writter though

RonWelty
12-09-2011, 03:56 AM
He IS the Offspring like Graffin IS BR and Ness IS SD. None are good singers but they're voices are unique and without it I wouldn't like those bands

Dexter_italy
12-09-2011, 04:45 AM
I didn't read all the comments but it doesn't matter... I think Dexter skills live improved a lot. we really can't compare a 97 video with a 2011 one. he's way of singing is really different from others. and that list is stupid... he's a punk rock singer... I don't know if he has ever took singing lesson after the success but I'm sure that a big part if not all the others did..
I don't think you can compare him with any on that list. As many have said it's not a technical band and we like it this way.
in the end it's just taste... everyone has his.. this list won't hurt any of them as it wouldn't if it had been the best 10...

samseby
12-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Whatever ... doesn't have to be "perfect" (whatever that is). Like has already been said it's punk and not the opera. Ness doesn't have a "perfect" voice too as doesn't Campino for that matter. Still they are all pretty successful with what they're doing ;)

Chainsaw
12-09-2011, 09:27 AM
This article is stupid. But Dexter does have a unique voice, it's kind of love it or hate it.

Omni
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Has Dexter ever had any professional training or lessons of any kind? He's pretty good for a guy who just picked up a mic, if that's the case. I personally do think he's a good singer, by any standard. Just not versatile enough to be a great one.

And as far as not being good at their instruments. I'd say Noodles seems like an above-average guitarist.

personal_loans_1
12-09-2011, 11:00 AM
I've heard Dexter messing up some parts live enough times to say he's not a great vocalist, but I'd never say he's pretty bad. Don't forget he sings pretty high, even if key is a little lower on lives, it's hard anyway. And that's a big + to quality of the voice in general. And yeah, I wouldn't limit their skills by music they play. Btw, are there any records of Noodles playing some other classical shit like in 'Meet Noodles'? Anyone knows?

KrispyNotKrunchy
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I didn't see Macy Gray on that list!! Whoever wrote that article doesn't know what the hell he's talking about hahaha

Zee
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
These kind of lists comes and goes... as many opinions as people.

To me he's pretty much superiorously sovereign in this business... I don't care if he's off the scale sometimes or something, it's the fucking energy that he creates! You can't describe it in words, just go listen to "All I Want" live and you'll feel it. :D

I actually often think listening to other songs by some other bands that 'oh man wish Dexter would sing this, how much cooler it would even sound'. :p

danitanev
12-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Thanks I'm almost 29! Well I like them anyway and if you don't - What the hell are you doing here? ;)
No seriously I just like them the most - the sound, the lyrics, etc. You don't have to take all the words in my first post here literally as you said! But you understood what I meant - that's nice!

Coral
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
figaro figaro figaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHCkgaP9XQ

better than pavarotti

offsrx
12-13-2011, 04:50 AM

hahahaha True indeed :D

offsrx
12-13-2011, 09:18 AM

hahahaha True indeed :D

Unfortunately but yes.. Well Not that much crap, but he sounds way better in studio :/

figaro figaro figaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fHCkgaP9XQ

better than pavarotti

Hehe and to think that in a podcast - Dex and Noodles were laughing to Chad Kroeger's vocal warming up :rolleyes:

I didn't read all the comments but it doesn't matter... I think Dexter skills live improved a lot. we really can't compare a 97 video with a 2011 one.

His voice sounds more even, but he still has same mistakes. On the 3rd video listen to YGGFK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8ebF9LTMTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7m1-Ex4r0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDp6ER_YdqM

Has Dexter ever had any professional training or lessons of any kind? He's pretty good for a guy who just picked up a mic, if that's the case. Yes indeed.

Ok so here's my opinion. Obviously the creator of the list is critisising ONLY singers style, than technique, and those things are different. When I saw M.J. on top of the list - I realised that list writer is not a reliable guy.. M.J. is the king of pop and one of the best voices in music history - weather he was kid or a grown man. The only singer who deserve to be on that list is:
Duffy - I just hate that song of her, and that whiney disgusting nasal sound. And that's it! The rest of singers from list are - very distinctive, very good and very pleasable to listen to..

So as for Dexter Holland - I think he is kinda talent. Because there are 2 intresting things about him as a singer - He has a very distinctive, recognisable and UNIQUE sound, and - a very bad technique.
I like thing about him that - he almost never used vibrato, unlike other singers, and I find that very original and cool. He has a very unique voice color when he sings high, and he sounds somehow - metallish. Not heavy metal kinda metallish, but a metal sounding voice is coming from his mouth. Very good. He has some kind of a small grid or distorsion in the voice, and that sounds great for that kinda style of music - punk rock. And because of that - I think he is the best voice of the punk rock because of his high range, no vibrato and distinctive voice quality. Ok he's been using vibrato on RAFRAG, but we all now how Dexter's voice sounds.
Cons or flaws of his voice is - his technique. He's been yelling, and pulling the shit out of his chest voice for 25 years, and that's why - he still has all the same bad singing habits even today. And then they tune down guitars live for half step so he can pull it out. Ok it's still hard to sing his songs even in that way, and he does them 80% of his career - good, but songs lose energy, edge, and sometimes sound - boring. Also I think - somehow he writes songs in some very difficult singing melodies, you know - It just has to have at least some amount of straining in throat..
But on the other side of that coin - He's talented because he's been screwing his vocal cord's for that long time and have not had any problems such as nodules, or any other vocal chord problem, and have never gone under surgery table, which is good. Also I think he never had any voice lesson, just picked up the mic, and still running. That's very impressive.
But in the end - the only thing that gets screwed up here are - his songs, preformed live. And for that to be fixed Dex could have some singing lesson with the best vocal coach in the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeYPg6AccI), but it's just a matter of choice - do you want to be a better preformer and to give more passion to THE music; and to make you sound more like you, or just to do gigs - on the same way that a middle class worker goes everyday on his average payed job.
To me - I'd be paying few lessons, because the main goal is not musician but - his songs, and his message to be interpreted live on the same way it has been done in the studio.. But it's Dexter's choice not mine :)
Anyway - He's a very good vocalist, but I think he can be even more better, and mind-blowing live; on the same way he is in the studio.

offsrx
12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
It seems that somehow I managed to post double the same thing.. LOL

TheOldMark
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
i actually wrote an article about how Dexter Holland should be considered one of the greatest rock stars of all time. the jist of it being, hes got the highest selling indie record of all time, brought punk to the mainstream,owns a record label, and a hot sauce company, is a pilot and flies to his own shows, and he runs marathons. pretty sure no other rock star does that, and its pretty badass.

offsrx
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM
i actually wrote an article about how Dexter Holland should be considered one of the greatest rock stars of all time. the jist of it being, hes got the highest selling indie record of all time, brought punk to the mainstream,owns a record label, and a hot sauce company, is a pilot and flies to his own shows, and he runs marathons. pretty sure no other rock star does that, and its pretty badass.

Where's that article?

Tijs
12-15-2011, 03:54 PM
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on these forums.

The Offspring doesn't make that kind of music. I always believed that The Offspring's music if purely for your enjoyment with - if you're interested in it - a message to spread.
If I wanna go to a hot dog stand and eat a great hot dog, I would LOVE that hot dog. But it'd be pointless to compare it to 6-course meal in a 5-star restaurant where you eat with golden forks and knives. The hot dog isn't trying to be that meal, yet people LOVE that hot dog.

I'm not saying that The Offspring are the hot dogs of music, I'd consider them at least as a great schnitzel. But you get the point.

Dexter does what he does perfectly well. He's the singer of a rockband which is by far not the place you'd look to find perfectionism. Especially considering the punk influences.

That's how I look at it, and that's also why I actually would consider Dexter as one of the best vocalists. Fits the job perfectly.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads I've read on these forums.

The Offspring doesn't make that kind of music. I always believed that The Offspring's music if purely for your enjoyment with - if you're interested in it - a message to spread.
If I wanna go to a hot dog stand and eat a great hot dog, I would LOVE that hot dog. But it'd be pointless to compare it to 6-course meal in a 5-star restaurant where you eat with golden forks and knives. The hot dog isn't trying to be that meal, yet people LOVE that hot dog.

I'm not saying that The Offspring are the hot dogs of music, I'd consider them at least as a great schnitzel. But you get the point.

Dexter does what he does perfectly well. He's the singer of a rockband which is by far not the place you'd look to find perfectionism. Especially considering the punk influences.

That's how I look at it, and that's also why I actually would consider Dexter as one of the best vocalists. Fits the job perfectly.

Yes. I would agree. I love the Offspring more than Beethoven. Do I think that they are better? Definitely not. I just like them a lot more.

RonWelty
12-16-2011, 04:29 AM

Just because you think he sings well or at least he fits the suit other people is wrong? I think he is a fucking bad singer and I feel ashamed when I say they're my favorite band and then some live video starts playing and its really really bad (mostly in recent songs).
But that doesn't change that I still love their music and Dexter's voice. It also doesn't change that I don't need to be blind or deaf, in this case, even if I love them, and think he's a great vocalist. He isn't and more importantly He doesn't need to be for his audience and style, I'm okay with that. But I've no doubt that for 99,9% of the rest of the world it matters. I'm also positive that it hurts band image and marketability.

Llamas
12-16-2011, 07:16 AM

I have to disagree. I will repeat this:

Agreed here. He's got creative talent, and he's good at writing some damn good energetic music with interesting lyrics. His voice suits the music, but he's definitely lacking live and sounds awful when his voice is bared in slower songs, like Kristy.
and say that if punk music is hot dogs, punk singers like Greg Graffin and Tony Sly are the bratwurst with kraut and fresh mustard. The singer from Sum 41 is pretty good, too... but the fact is, most punk singers are actually able to sing live. I honestly was obsessed with the Offspring til I saw them live in 2003. Dexter's live abilities really disappointed me. I hunted for live videos where he was really on, but rarely succeeded. He's a good songwriter and a good lyricist, but I would definitely not call him a good vocalist.

He's a better vocalist than Johnny Rotten or Tom Delonge have ever been, so it wouldn't be fair to call him one of the worst, either. Those guys are a cold hotdog in a slightly-stale bun with nothing but ketchup.

Dexter_italy
12-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I have to disagree. I will repeat this:

and say that if punk music is hot dogs, punk singers like Greg Graffin and Tony Sly are the bratwurst with kraut and fresh mustard. The singer from Sum 41 is pretty good, too... but the fact is, most punk singers are actually able to sing live. I honestly was obsessed with the Offspring til I saw them live in 2003. Dexter's live abilities really disappointed me. I hunted for live videos where he was really on, but rarely succeeded. He's a good songwriter and a good lyricist, but I would definitely not call him a good vocalist.

He's a better vocalist than Johnny Rotten or Tom Delonge have ever been, so it wouldn't be fair to call him one of the worst, either. Those guys are a cold hotdog in a slightly-stale bun with nothing but ketchup.

Greg Graffin really? his voice is really low... I could sing br songs for hours without having any voice problem...Same goes for Billie joe for example... Tony sly and Bizzy are good singers can't say anithing on that. I think the only comparable singer for the range is Zoli who sings half step down too and live doesn't sound so good, I prefer Dexter. I'd really like to hear something upon this on the next podcast:D

Llamas
12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Greg Graffin really? his voice is really low... I could sing br songs for hours without having any voice problem...Same goes for Billie joe for example... Tony sly and Bizzy are good singers can't say anithing on that. I think the only comparable singer for the range is Zoli who sings half step down too and live doesn't sound so good, I prefer Dexter. I'd really like to hear something upon this on the next podcast:D

Singing low doesn't make someone a bad singer. At all. He's clearly more of a baritone. And Dexter has problems even when he sings low. He doesn't sound good live on songs like Kristy or Fix You or A Lot Like Me. Billie Joe is not a good singer at all, either. But he makes up for it by being an exciting, energetic frontman. Dexter makes up for his lack of singing skills by being an excellent songwriter.

cool 2 hate 681
12-16-2011, 02:41 PM
the guy from sum 41 is a better singer then dexter?:confused:

when i saw the offspring in 2004 and 2008 his voice was not good but when i saw them in 2000 and 2010 his voice was awesome just like on the albums

Llamas
12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
the guy from sum 41 is a better singer then dexter?:confused:

Sorry, you're right. I don't know why I listed him. He's pretty much the same as Dexter. Davey Havok is awesome, though. Totally not connected at all :P

Dexter_italy
12-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Singing low doesn't make someone a bad singer. At all. He's clearly more of a baritone. And Dexter has problems even when he sings low. He doesn't sound good live on songs like Kristy or Fix You or A Lot Like Me. Billie Joe is not a good singer at all, either. But he makes up for it by being an exciting, energetic frontman. Dexter makes up for his lack of singing skills by being an excellent songwriter.

I didn't say that singing low means being a bad singer. I just said it's easier to sing that way, the effort is different. Kristy is not that low... and Fix you has been played 2 times live... the first time they play a song it's never that good. A lot like me has ever been played? I don't recall and can't find...post it if you have it I'm curious :)
There are some videos where you actually say... "Oh gosh that's terrible!!!" but I prefer judging from my live experiences and I have to tell that he was always good. I think we've said everything about this matter from a pretty dumb article... there are worst singer for sure, and better for sure, but no one is gonna sound like him, we all agree on this.

cool 2 hate 681
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I didn't say that singing low means being a bad singer. I just said it's easier to sing that way, the effort is different. Kristy is not that low... and Fix you has been played 2 times live... the first time they play a song it's never that good. A lot like me has ever been played? I don't recall and can't find...post it if you have it I'm curious :)
There are some videos where you actually say... "Oh gosh that's terrible!!!" but I prefer judging from my live experiences and I have to tell that he was always good. I think we've said everything about this matter from a pretty dumb article... there are worst singer for sure, and better for sure, but no one is gonna sound like him, we all agree on this.

they played a lot like me in 2009 at a show in austin texas there was a video online but i can't seem to find it right now http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=37781&page=3 also they only played fix you once

RonWelty
12-20-2011, 04:57 AM
The Offspring like a schnitzel or hot dog doesn't sound good either.

RonWelty, have you seen videos from the last tour, they were pretty tight including Dexter.

I know, He was way better.

Scythe Death
12-21-2011, 01:18 PM
But Dexter's raspy high vocals make a third of the song. They have like the same appeal that a distorted guitar has. They're great for their type of music.

If I were to make a list, it would be so much better.

Tijs
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
but the fact is, most punk singers are actually able to sing live. I honestly was obsessed with the Offspring til I saw them live in 2003. Dexter's live abilities really disappointed me. I hunted for live videos where he was really on, but rarely succeeded. He's a good songwriter and a good lyricist, but I would definitely not call him a good vocalist.

He's a better vocalist than Johnny Rotten or Tom Delonge have ever been, so it wouldn't be fair to call him one of the worst, either. Those guys are a cold hotdog in a slightly-stale bun with nothing but ketchup.Dexter surely has shows where he's better than other shows. If you were so obsessed with them, surely you've seen/heard some bootlegged concerts or other live videos in which you heard Dexter's singing? I'm just surprised then that you were disappointed in 2003, if it could've been just a bad voice day for him.

For sure Tom DeLonge has got to be on of the worst live vocalists in the history of.. well, existence (though seeing Blink 182 live is still a dream to be fullfilled someday). And Johnny Rotten is quite awful live (and recorded too) too. BUT, it fits exactly that raw punkrocky feeling that people are looking for.

Imagine Shane MacGowan singing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNX3hQbSVmM) beautifully. If he DID sing beautifully, The Pogues would've sucked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC0YRvSF8CE&feature=related).
Replace Dexter with an opera singer, and I'm not interested anymore. Surely you can say he's not among the best singers. I know he isn't, everybody with a mind knows that. But, he is perfect for The Offspring. He doesn't need to be a great singer, not in a punkrock band (though I would like to restrain myself from classifying The Offspring as a punkrock band, to avoid a whole different discussion, but you get what I mean).

I often think that if singers from punkrock bands would appear on shows like American Idol or America's Got Talent (or your country's equivalent) hardly any of them would make it to the next round. Think about singers like Dexter, Johnny Rotten, the singers from Dropkick Murphys, Alkaline Trio, Blink 182, Green Day, Bad Religion, Die Toten Hosen, Weezer... and the list goes on and on. They don't sound that great vocally, but have the exact right voice for their target audience.

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't judge them on something they're not trying to be.

Personally, I think an ostrich is an awful bird because it can't fly. So there you go, the Offspring are the ostriches of music. Yeah I'm just gonna keep on using these kind of comparisons.

Just because you think he sings well or at least he fits the suit other people is wrong?Well, that's a discussion isn't it? Some people agree, others disagree. I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, I'm saying I've got a different opinion.

Davey Havok is awesome, though. Totally not connected at all :Po rly? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENM1DSyYQKs#t=3m20s) Though I think after this show they didn't play Total Immortal anymore, at least not much. They didn't play them at their headliner show the last time I saw them.

BagOfShenanigans
12-21-2011, 03:09 PM
It only burns me up that all of the media darlings and circus acts like Justin Bieber and Ke$ha were excluded. The vocals are unlikable, cookie cutter nonsense, and people just devour it like it's weed-filled brownies. Meanwhile Dexter Holland who has a unique, recognizable voice is getting shit on.

He's not going for this angelic voice shit, he's a punk/rock singer. The punk genre isn't about vocal expertise, it's about the message.

The list seems to be primarily crap, with weak backing for all of the placeholders' legitimacy.

Llamas
12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
If you were so obsessed with them, surely you've seen/heard some bootlegged concerts or other live videos in which you heard Dexter's singing? I'm just surprised then that you were disappointed in 2003, if it could've been just a bad voice day for him.
Before I saw them in 2003, I didn't have the opportunity to download or anything. We had an AOL dial-up connection. I wasn't able to download and stuff til about 2004-2005, at which point I started searching for live Offspring stuff, hoping it had just been a bad show. But I've *always* been disappointed in the live stuff... ever since then.

For sure Tom DeLonge has got to be on of the worst live vocalists in the history of.. well, existence (though seeing Blink 182 live is still a dream to be fullfilled someday). And Johnny Rotten is quite awful live (and recorded too) too. BUT, it fits exactly that raw punkrocky feeling that people are looking for. (and the next 3 paragraphs or so)
Absolutely never argued that. Go back and read my first post in here. :) There are big differences among "vocalist", "song writer", and "front man". Dexter is a great song writer, a decent front man, but no, I wouldn't call him a good vocalist. Yes, he fits the job great... yes, there's a different scale to judge on... but on that scale, he's about average. In the grand scheme, he's pretty bad. But yes, his voice fits the style very well. And no, I'm not asking for Luciano Pavarotti to come in and sing with the Offspring instead. His voice fits the music, but he's not a very good vocalist.

Nobody in the Offspring is really very talented at their instrument. Doesn't mean they don't work well together and make great music.

o rly? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENM1DSyYQKs#t=3m20s) Though I think after this show they didn't play Total Immortal anymore, at least not much. They didn't play them at their headliner show the last time I saw them.

Yeah, he sounds awful in that video... but that's an exception. I've seen them live a few times and watched countless videos... Davey can sing and has a good voice, for sure.

offspringer24
12-22-2011, 02:32 AM
That top ten list sucks! A least half of those people don't deserve to be on there! Same goes for the top 150 songs.

Your best offspring album list annoys the shit outta me.....No self respecting Offspring fan would have Smash 6th

Llamas
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Really? Disagree. Smash is in the top two for casual fans who don't really know the Offspring. Smash is #4 or #5 for me... too many overplayed songs that I was tired of before I was even a fan, plus it includes one of the top 3 worst Offspring songs ever, So Alone. Personal taste, man. Nothing to do with being a self-respecting fan.

Edit: I like Ixnay, Ignition, Self Titled, and RFRG more than Smash. The only one in his list I disagree with is CO1. Maybe their worst album there.

KTILLA23
12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Really? Disagree. Smash is in the top two for casual fans who don't really know the Offspring. Smash is #4 or #5 for me... too many overplayed songs that I was tired of before I was even a fan, plus it includes one of the top 3 worst Offspring songs ever, So Alone. Personal taste, man. Nothing to do with being a self-respecting fan.

Edit: I like Ixnay, Ignition, Self Titled, and RFRG more than Smash. The only one in his list I disagree with is CO1. Maybe their worst album there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Smash is a good album, but i don't think it's there best one. I think most people put it in there top one or two because it's the album most people heard first or the only one people heard. And i think most people would say that i put RFRG or CO1 to high on my list, but i personally love those album. And it's not like people have to agree with what i say, it's just my opinion. But in the end i love all there albums, even Splinter.

cool 2 hate 681
12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
i still think smash is their best album

RonWelty
12-22-2011, 04:51 PM
1- Ixnay on the Hombre
2- Smash
3- Ignition
4- Americana
5- Rise and Fall Rage and Grace
6- Co1/Self-titled
7- Splinter

Llamas
12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
1- Ixnay on the Hombre
2- Smash
3- Ignition
4- Americana
5- Rise and Fall Rage and Grace
6- Co1/Self-titled
7- Splinter

Totally saw this coming. ...and with that, this thread becomes yet another "rank the Offspring's albums" thread...

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
12-22-2011, 07:30 PM

You don't like So Alone? I love that song.

My favorite Offspring album rotates between Smash, Ignition, and Ixnay. Those three, self-titled, and Americana are always in my top 5. On my iPod, almost all the tracks on Smash have over 100 plays and I don't get tired of it. I can listen to Smash and Ignition every other day and love them both.

I still really like CO1, RAFRAG, and Splinter though.

Sofinch
12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
What if so?
All great geniuses have something wrong with their voice...
... just take Stephen Hawking

EDIT: + :)

DuReX
12-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I really hate Dexter's vocals in "Self Esteem", "Gotta Get Away" and "Take It Like A Man" (album versions, of course), but most of others are great and hard to repeat in the same key.

Dulce
12-01-2012, 12:24 AM
This guy obviously don't know what his doing, he basically gave out poor criticism to Dexters voice. Don't judge A book by it's cover. Get to know that person well enough at first, then give out some more valid/constructive opinion. Plus, he just did it for the Pretty Fly song and whatevers!

Jason_Voorhees
12-01-2012, 02:46 AM
What is wrong with you people? How can you guys use the word "bad" and "Dexter" in the same sentence? Dexter's voice kicks ass, and he's one of my favorite, if not, my favorite singer of all time. He is very talented. He can sing, play guitar, fly jets, make hot sauce, write meaningful songs, surf, and doesn't conform. How many other rockstars can claim those achievements???

OFFSPRING FOR LIFE MOTHER FUCKERS

jsmak84
12-01-2012, 06:21 AM
For me "Dexter Holland is one of the BEST vocalists ever!.

Subjectively

Chainsaw
12-01-2012, 06:26 AM
How the hell do these threads get necroed? Do you just read the forum history for fun?

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-01-2012, 06:40 AM
What is wrong with you people? How can you guys use the word "bad" and "Dexter" in the same sentence? Dexter's voice kicks ass, and he's one of my favorite, if not, my favorite singer of all time. He is very talented. He can sing, play guitar, fly jets, make hot sauce, write meaningful songs, surf, and doesn't conform. How many other rockstars can claim those achievements???

OFFSPRING FOR LIFE MOTHER FUCKERS

Don't forget, he can balance complicated chemical equations in the blink of an eye.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I saw this thread pop up and read when it was posted. I still have something to say about it. The people that say Dexter sucks at singing were probably only thinking about those times when he was either sick or fatigued from touring too much. He sings falsetto and at a very loud volume. It's extremely difficult to maintain those pitches at that volume for long stretches of time, and it's even harder to remain of key for any amount of time. The haters don't realize that and have obviously never tried it themselves. Dexter is a smoker and his voice hasn't suffered as much as other singers that smoke. So, he's doing something right.
That NME idiot clearly hasn't heard the Offspring songs that haven't hit the radio. So much for an informed reporter or whatever he is. He should listen to "Fix You." Not one of my faves, but he'd have a new appreciation for Dexter's voice.

Chainsaw
12-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Without any formal training it's a wonder he generally sounds live as decent as he does.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Without any formal training it's a wonder he generally sounds live as decent as he does.

Exactly! Same with Pat Stump of the former band Fall Out Boy. They both have great-sounding, strong voices.

cool 2 hate 681
12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
dexter is a great singer but i don't think he sounds very good doing reggae songs

Selena74
12-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Exactly! Same with Pat Stump of the former band Fall Out Boy. They both have great-sounding, strong voices.

I agree. Dexter has a wonderful voice for rock music. Patrick Stump has a great voice too! When I first heard Patrick Stump sing I was like "who the hell is that?? He's awesome!"

bouncingcoles
12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Dexter certainly has a good voice and he hits very high pitches and usually sounds great live. Is he one of the best? no but he is certainly good.

Llamas
12-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I saw this thread pop up and read when it was posted. I still have something to say about it. The people that say Dexter sucks at singing were probably only thinking about those times when he was either sick or fatigued from touring too much. He sings falsetto and at a very loud volume. It's extremely difficult to maintain those pitches at that volume for long stretches of time, and it's even harder to remain of key for any amount of time. The haters don't realize that and have obviously never tried it themselves. Dexter is a smoker and his voice hasn't suffered as much as other singers that smoke. So, he's doing something right.
That NME idiot clearly hasn't heard the Offspring songs that haven't hit the radio. So much for an informed reporter or whatever he is. He should listen to "Fix You." Not one of my faves, but he'd have a new appreciation for Dexter's voice.

First of all, Dexter does not sing falsetto... if you think he does, you clearly don't know what falsetto actually is. Singing high =/= falsetto, and it's also much easier than falsetto. Also, lol @ the idea of falsetto in punkish music :D

Second of all, he's a pretty bad singer, and I say that based on hundreds of live videos I've watched, plus the concert I went to. Dexter almost never sounds really "on" when singing live.

Third of all, Dexter's voice sounds good on record when he's yell-singing, but he sounds awful when he tries to sing low. He gets very nasally, doesn't sing from his diaphragm at ALL, and it's painful. I can't listen to songs like Kristy and Fix You, and that's a big reason for it. He has to yell-sing to make up for the fact that he's not a very good singer. PS: I've heard every Offspring song made.

If we're ONLY comparing him to other untrained singers who choose to smoke a lot despite their singing and choose to sing out of their range, then I guess he's okay. But that's a very small portion of singers that we're judging him against. In the grand scheme, he's a pretty bad singer.

Offspring-Junkie
12-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Dexter doesn't sing falsetto, he sings wrongetto, sometimes even forgetto.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
First of all, Dexter does not sing falsetto... if you think he does, you clearly don't know what falsetto actually is. Singing high =/= falsetto, and it's also much easier than falsetto. Also, lol @ the idea of falsetto in punkish music :D

Second of all, he's a pretty bad singer, and I say that based on hundreds of live videos I've watched, plus the concert I went to. Dexter almost never sounds really "on" when singing live.

Third of all, Dexter's voice sounds good on record when he's yell-singing, but he sounds awful when he tries to sing low. He gets very nasally, doesn't sing from his diaphragm at ALL, and it's painful. I can't listen to songs like Kristy and Fix You, and that's a big reason for it. He has to yell-sing to make up for the fact that he's not a very good singer. PS: I've heard every Offspring song made.

If we're ONLY comparing him to other untrained singers who choose to smoke a lot despite their singing and choose to sing out of their range, then I guess he's okay. But that's a very small portion of singers that we're judging him against. In the grand scheme, he's a pretty bad singer.
Years ago, someone told me that's what it's called when you sing that high. I never researched it. Oops, I misunderstood a definition. Big deal. Bottom line, I think he's got a great voice.

Llamas
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Lol, just recently you were upset that people didn't just believe things you said because you'd heard them somewhere but couldn't remember where... and you expected people to just believe you. This might be a good example of why people shouldn't just blindly believe whatever you say.

Your post before read as though everyone should agree with you. "If they think he's a bad singer, they've obviously never tried it." False. I sing. "He should listen to Fix You and he'd have a new appreciation of the band." False. I've heard Fix You many times and it only slightly lowered my appreciation. Talk about your opinion as though it's your opinion, rather than as though everyone must agree or else they're an uninformed idiot.

Dexter_italy
12-05-2012, 12:16 AM

damn this was fun!! ahahaha ;)

Dulce
12-05-2012, 01:34 AM
That NME guy is obviously acting jealous and wishes he can have dexters voice. He couldn't back it up with saying something more original. So, I'm guessing his not a fan just a music journalist. Like someone has said: "the dudes got a unique voice!" (source YouTube) Reffering to dexters voice. He sounds nothing like any other singers outhere. (band wise)

Szandi
12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I like Dexter's voice, so I don't care the idiot opinions.
And, Who the fuck is Priya Elan...

Dulce
12-13-2012, 11:33 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/7392661342_936ca33480_z.jpg

Nachoes
12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
NME thinks so.
http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=11519&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more11519

obviously the writer is a moron.

Dulce
01-25-2013, 05:07 PM

Fuckin' Haha.

Epic shit! :p

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-26-2013, 10:37 AM
I love Dexter's singing voice, not because I think he's a great singer (he's better than me, but not that great), but just because I love the way his voice sounds for the songs they make.

Godxilla
01-26-2013, 10:41 AM
I love Dexter's singing voice, not because I think he's a great singer (he's better than me, but not that great), but just because I love the way his voice sounds for the songs they make.

I agree. Ozzy Ozzbourne fit Black Sabbath, James Hetfield fits Metallica, and Dexter fits the Offspring. Sometimes, the singer just needs the right band. Could you imagine Gavin Rossdale in another group? It'd suck. But Dex is just what the Offspring needs. Unlike the others I mentioned, though, Dexter would have a chance at winning a singing show.

ity mimozemöťan
01-26-2013, 12:44 PM
No, Dexter is not one of the worst vocalist ever. He is the best!!!

Dulce
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I envy Dexta for obvious reasons but proud to be a fan of the offspring. Holland's the heat! Gosh, I'm jealous. I love you! Call me crazy but I pretend to be the female version of our king? ;)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
I think it's important to have a realistic understanding of the band members, and it's important not to idolize them*. Dexter is definitely a better singer than your average untrained guy, but he's not the best in the world. He's one of my personal favorites, but very far from the best. It upsets fans of other talented singers and band when you claim your favorite to be the best. I'm sure we could upset some Social Distortion fans pretty quick if we told them that Dexter was the best singer in all of punk rock.

*Of course though, Greg K is the greatest man currently on the earth. We shouldn't forget that.

_Lost_
01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
By "average untrained guy" do you mean only men who can attempt to carry a tune or do you mean all guys in general? If we are talking about the first one, I would have to disagree. He might sing better than my husband, who can carry a tune well enough, but he definitely doesn't sing better than randman21, whom I would consider your average, untrained guy. If we are talking about all guys in general, whether or not the potential to sing on key is there or not, training or no training, then that is hardly a shocker and would include the aforementioned husband.

Beyond that, I would imagine that Dexter himself has had quite a bit of training in the 20 years since Smash went platinum. Even if the goal wasn't to sing better, it would make since to get formal training to help make touring more doable and add a little longevity to his singing capabilities.

I have had quite a bit of formal vocal training, but I would never consider calling myself a 'trained' singer. That is a whole other beast of its own. If you look at rock'n'roll, hardly anyone in its history truly fits that category. Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

I know you weren't looking for this sort of commentary and I'm thinking too hard about it, but that's where my thoughts went.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
*Of course though, Greg K is the greatest man currently on the earth. We shouldn't forget that.

He's got a pretty good set of pipes, too. Most people don't pay much attention to how well Greg actually sings. He's almost always perfectly on key, with the exception of some occasional voice cracking in "Staring at the Sun." He harmonizes with both Noodles and Dexter spectacularly well. I especially like when Greg and Noodles sing backup in "Hammerhead" and when Greg and Dexter sing the chorus of "Genocide" and "Smash."

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
By "average untrained guy" do you mean only men who can attempt to carry a tune or do you mean all guys in general? If we are talking about the first one, I would have to disagree. He might sing better than my husband, who can carry a tune well enough, but he definitely doesn't sing better than randman21, whom I would consider your average, untrained guy. If we are talking about all guys in general, whether or not the potential to sing on key is there or not, training or no training, then that is hardly a shocker and would include the aforementioned husband.

Beyond that, I would imagine that Dexter himself has had quite a bit of training in the 20 years since Smash went platinum. Even if the goal wasn't to sing better, it would make since to get formal training to help make touring more doable and add a little longevity to his singing capabilities.

I have had quite a bit of formal vocal training, but I would never consider calling myself a 'trained' singer. That is a whole other beast of its own. If you look at rock'n'roll, hardly anyone in its history truly fits that category. Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

I know you weren't looking for this sort of commentary and I'm thinking too hard about it, but that's where my thoughts went.
Nope, the commentary is appreciated. I get what you're saying, and have no choice but to agree. I was referring to the latter (all guys in general), and I see what you mean that we should expect Dexter to be a little better than average in that regard. If he wasn't a little better than all guys in general then I don't see why anyone would listen to him. Thanks for the reply and correction.

Llamas
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Pat Benatar and Freddy Mercury are two that I can think of. Supposedly, Amy Lee of Evanescence is, but I've heard how she sounds live and am inclined to doubt that.

Amy Lee is awful live. I saw them at a festival in like 2003, when Bring Me to Life was huge, and it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen. She was too busy trying to be hardcore goth and spitting water all over the audience to bother trying to sing well. However, in trying to find an example on Youtube, she seems to sound pretty okay in the live videos.

Instead of Amy Lee, should be talking about Tarja Turunen of Nightwish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-Wyw9lYyM

Steven Page of the Barenaked Ladies is classically trained, as well, and has a beautiful voice (the ending of the song, his voice shines): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWuh3w9lNo

SapoCocas
01-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I think it's important to have a realistic understanding of the band members, and it's important not to idolize them*. Dexter is definitely a better singer than your average untrained guy, but he's not the best in the world. He's one of my personal favorites, but very far from the best. It upsets fans of other talented singers and band when you claim your favorite to be the best. I'm sure we could upset some Social Distortion fans pretty quick if we told them that Dexter was the best singer in all of punk rock.

THIS!
I love Dexter's voice and that one of the main reasons why The Offspring is my favourite band. On the other side, I even like Social Distortion's guitar sounds but I can't stand the voice of the singer. But I don't think he's a bad singer. I can take Fat Mike's voice much better than the Social Distortion's vocalist but he's surely not a better singer.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
02-01-2013, 05:33 PM

Hey, look, falsetto! Hey, who's singing this? Could it be...Dexter?! Patience, it comes at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wuND2oBecDg#!

Llamas
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Are you referring to those "hoo hoo" shouts in Smash it Up? Because those aren't even singing. He's just basically going "woo hoo". Otherwise, I have no idea which part you're talking about. There's no falsetto anywhere in that video...

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
02-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Take it up with the person who took all that time to write out the description and painstakingly listed what notes he hits in each clip. Sounds like they know what they are talking about.

Llamas
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Almost every person can "woo hoo" like that. He didn't actually hit a pitch there, it was random. "Sounds like they know what they're talking about" doesn't mean they do. That person called three different things "falsetto", when none of them are (two were screaming/shouting, in normal, connected range... the other was this "woo hoo" thing).

This is falsetto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz9lhqxl_gQ

Shouting a "woo" at whatever pitch comes out is something everyone can do and is most certainly not "singing falsetto".

_Lost_
02-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Falsetto basically refers to the origin of the sound in the highest parts of someones register. Everyone's falsetto range is gonna be different, so some guy on youtube isn't going to be able to say "this note is falsetto". screaming/shouting places the origin of the sound in the throat, where a person's falsetto range is going to originate somewhere near/behind the sinuses, maybe just above the roof of your mouth. That being said, Dexter has a tendency to sing through his nose, which is not to be mistaken for singing falsetto. Falsetto reverberates inside your skull, where singing through your nose is felt almost exclusively in your nose. There are a lot of things you can do by toying with the origin of your voice. The key to projecting is by trying to get your voice to reverberate in your chest. If you are screaming, shouting, straining by limiting your voice to the throat or higher, you can hurt yourself if you aren't careful. Live acoustic performances, Dexter may use his falsetto range, but usually he is screaming or growling it instead, especially on the albums. I can't think of a clear example of Dexter singing where it sounds like he is singing falsetto.

Melyssa, this isn't something you can learn to identify on the internet. My suggestion to you is that you try taking a couple voice lessons if you really want to understand the differences, even if you are a terrible singer. That is the only way to learn and realllllly understand it.

Llamas
02-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Falsetto basically refers to the origin of the sound in the highest parts of someones register. Everyone's falsetto range is gonna be different, so some guy on youtube isn't going to be able to say "this note is falsetto". screaming/shouting places the origin of the sound in the throat, where a person's falsetto range is going to originate somewhere near/behind the sinuses, maybe just above the roof of your mouth. That being said, Dexter has a tendency to sing through his nose, which is not to be mistaken for singing falsetto. Falsetto reverberates inside your skull, where singing through your nose is felt almost exclusively in your nose. There are a lot of things you can do by toying with the origin of your voice. The key to projecting is by trying to get your voice to reverberate in your chest. If you are screaming, shouting, straining by limiting your voice to the throat or higher, you can hurt yourself if you aren't careful. Live acoustic performances, Dexter may use his falsetto range, but usually he is screaming or growling it instead, especially on the albums. I can't think of a clear example of Dexter singing where it sounds like he is singing falsetto.

Melyssa, this isn't something you can learn to identify on the internet. My suggestion to you is that you try taking a couple voice lessons if you really want to understand the differences, even if you are a terrible singer. That is the only way to learn and realllllly understand it.

That was a fantastic explanation. As I studied music, but not voice, I know what it is but not how to describe it :P That was perfect. And yes, Dexter sings in his falsetto range, but he screams it, rather than singing falsetto - and live, those really high screamed notes are the ones that are usually off.

randman21
02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
I can think of three instances of Dexter using falsetto, but as was said none of them are in that video (funny enough, he got some of the right songs, but the wrong parts). And they're all perfect lessons in distinguishing between Dexter's falsetto and his chest/throat/nose voice, because he switches in a short period of time.

Gone Away (2:26) (http://youtu.be/2d3AqlKfXbE?t=2m26s) - All of the "Oooooos" are falsetto, everything else is normal voice.
Fix You (3:08) (http://www.offspring.com/community/youtu.be/YbXnP8robvA?t=3m8s) - Exact same thing.
Me and My Old Lady (3:48) (http://youtu.be/roPwKcrB5N4?t=3m48s) - Actually, same exact thing, haha. I didn't realize that before.

So about 10 seconds worth of falsetto in their whole catalog. For the record, I can't think of anyone who sings mostly in falsetto (never mind, Tiny Tim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtQmwJ1WAY)). It's too weak and thin, wears out your voice faster, and keeps you from sustaining notes for long.

. He might sing better than my husband, who can carry a tune well enough, but he definitely doesn't sing better than randman21, whom I would consider your average, untrained guy.
Gee, thanks!!! I have had extensive training, but only in choral music. My rock technique is as bad as Dexter's! So your point stands. :p

_Lost_
02-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Well, you haven't really. When I refer to 'trained', I mean classically trained, with private lessons and schooling for their entire life, which few rockers fall into this category. You've got training from school choir and such, but that's not quite what I mean.

Llamas
02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I can think of three instances of Dexter using falsetto, but as was said none of them are in that video (funny enough, he got some of the right songs, but the wrong parts). And they're all perfect lessons in distinguishing between Dexter's falsetto and his chest/throat/nose voice, because he switches in a short period of time.

Gone Away (2:26) (http://youtu.be/2d3AqlKfXbE?t=2m26s) - All of the "Oooooos" are falsetto, everything else is normal voice.
Fix You (3:08) (http://www.offspring.com/community/youtu.be/YbXnP8robvA?t=3m8s) - Exact same thing.
Me and My Old Lady (3:48) (http://youtu.be/roPwKcrB5N4?t=3m48s) - Actually, same exact thing, haha. I didn't realize that before.

So about 10 seconds worth of falsetto in their whole catalog. For the record, I can't think of anyone who sings mostly in falsetto (never mind, Tiny Tim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtQmwJ1WAY)). It's too weak and thin, wears out your voice faster, and keeps you from sustaining notes for long.

Gee, thanks!!! I have had extensive training, but only in choral music. My rock technique is as bad as Dexter's! So your point stands. :p

Ha, you're right - totally like 10 seconds of falsetto in the entire catalog, and you're absolutely right! ;) He's definitely not a falsetto singer, though, that's for sure!

The only singers I can think of off the top of my head who sing in falsetto a LOT are Justin Timberlake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOrnUquxtwA), Pharrell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBTrN5Odbg), and D'Angelo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVNOnPyvIU). I really don't care for too much falsetto most of the time, though. There are only a few songs done in falsetto that I really like (like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeanO_skl1s), and this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDxlj5-_xE)).

DuReX
02-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Singing high =/= falsetto, and it's also much easier than falsetto.I disagree. Falsetto is much easier. I can't reach a lot of Dexter's songs without using falsetto (on my memory, the highest note that he took is C5 - "and it feeeeels" in Gone Away; my limit is G4, but with falsetto it's near F#5)

Dulce
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Dexter you're the ultimate best fucking vocalist! You're pretty fly for an Awesome-Down to Earth-Humble human. óD

Powerh
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
This is the best prove that Dexter singing very good :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuND2oBecDg

Llamas
02-28-2013, 10:55 AM
This is the best prove that Dexter singing very good :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuND2oBecDg

Having a range that is on pitch in studio recordings isn't proof of a good singer... The title of the video makes no sense, either, because his actual singing range based on that video (random screams do not count as singing, and do not require pitch control) is E3 to D5. That's just shy of two octaves, which is pretty standard. Also important that these are the results of many, many takes and studio recording. He does not hit those high notes right on live, especially since it's all down-tuned. Again, I like Dexter's singing (very unique voice) and I like the Offspring, but he's not exactly a stellar vocalist.

cool 2 hate 681
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
the guy who wrote this article must have seen them at a off show the offspring shows i went to in 2008 dexter sounded really bad like new found glory or simple plan but since then he sounds much better :)

also for a guy who smokes his voice still sounds really good it's too bad he does though because if he didn't he would probably sound the same as he did in 1994