PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism

Dwayne Mosley
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Never been a religious person... never been one to identify as an athiest either because I don't see why people should blanket themselves under a term to define something that isn't applicable to their day-to-day lives, but my failing to embrace religions is more because I don't scientifically believe in the existence of God and I find I am able to embrace my own righteous moral code through attaining a higher form of peace and understanding then through surrendering myself to the written rules of a prophet who may never have existed.

Having said that though, buddhism is much less about religious belief and much more about chakra and good vibrations than anything else. I find it has a practical use for non-religious peoples and is greatly misunderstood as a whole. In recent months I have used buddhism to learn to become a better person. What do you think?

bighead384
12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Buddism? I know a guy that claims to be Catholic and Buddhist at the same time. Seems weird. And he's a law student, so he's not completely dumb or something.

He claims Buddism inspires him greatly. That it taught him to "live in the moment" and not worry etc. Stuff that helps you get through day to day life with a better attitude. This guy really does have the best fucking attitude that I know. It's almost annoying to be quite honest.

Outerspaceman21
12-13-2011, 02:50 AM
I like the ideas surrounding Buddhism, but I only know the board things, I don't know the exact details. I'm border lining atheist myself, but identify as an agnostic. I recently started to live more in the moment, which has led to my attitude changing to a more positive outlook on life. I would like to research Buddhism, but my procrastination gets the better of me.

Little_Miss_1565
12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
I like reading buddhist texts, and I do a ton of yoga every week and most of that is grounded in buddhist principles and philosophy. I wouldn't call myself a buddhist for that, though. A lot of it is just common sense, and it's good to be reminded sometimes to quiet your mind, have a good and loving outlook towards others, take care of yourself so you can take care of others, etc.

Jojan
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
a ton of yoga

That does not make sense.

Llamas
12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Buddism? I know a guy that claims to be Catholic and Buddhist at the same time. Seems weird. And he's a law student, so he's not completely dumb or something.

bighead, Buddhism isn't a religion. Many Buddhists also identify with Christianity, Atheism, Judaism, etc... it's entirely possible.

That does not make sense.
How does it not? Maybe if you're taking "ton" literally and not understanding basic colloquial English...?

Little_Miss_1565
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
bighead, Buddhism isn't a religion.

Buddhism is a religion. However, it can also comprise a set of philosophical principles. Way too many people confuse enjoying the study of the philosophies of the buddha with religious practice.

bighead384
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
bighead, Buddhism isn't a religion. Many Buddhists also identify with Christianity, Atheism, Judaism, etc... it's entirely possible.

Nah, Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

I win.

adombomb222
01-06-2012, 03:00 AM
I’ve been going to a temple for about the last three years, not as much recently as I’d like on account that there is no temple near my college. I would consider myself a Buddhist.

The thing that attracted me to Buddhism is the fact that the Buddha believed that there wasn’t any one certain way to enlightenment. He believed that Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Hindi were all acceptable paths to the same goal, Nirvana. The Buddha believed that we needed to find out own way in life, he left behind the Noble Truths and the Eight-Fold Path as guide lines to lead a healthy pure life in hopes that others would too, reach Enlightenment. Buddhism attracted me because it’s a way of life, it’s the Buddha’s teachings which tell me to make and follow my own path.

I’d say it’s incorrect to call Buddhism a religion, keeping in mind the idea of religion in the West. Buddhist do not warship Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, as a god – actually there is no “god” in Buddhism. There is what is called Samsara which is the cycle of birth, death and re-birth (reincarnation) which is our life. Samsara means “to wander on,” in Samsara we experience suffering or Dukkha. The goal, according to the Buddha, as well as other Eastern “religions,” is to escape the cycle of Samsara and to cease Dukkha. Ceasing all suffering is called Enlightenment, at which point one may choose to move onto Nirvana which is escaping the cycle of Samsara.

I think what attracts a lot of people to Buddhism is the practice of meditation, and the fact that it’s more a way of life and not a religion. I think that’s why you will find a lot of people who hold a traditional Western religion while also practicing aspects of Buddhism.

I’d highly suggest to everyone to look up a local temple and take some time out of their day to visit one and speak with the monks and get a quick lesson on the story of the Buddha and get a lesson in meditation. Also the only place to get any real good Buddhist text is from a temple, since Buddhist cannot ask for money in any way, real text produced by the Buddhist world cannot be sold to stores. You can sometime find these texts in libraries, which have been donated, but other than that you can’t find them. And if you do visit a temple please bring an offering to the monks, they only eat what is offered to them!

Baldwin
01-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Almost nothing of what you wrote is true (except for the parts that everyone already knows and doesn't need explaining). As for the rest, if it's true, it applies only to one very specific order, and to be honest, I doubt you even got your own order's practices right.

If you're really a Buddhist, you suck at Buddhisting more than any other Buddhist who ever Buddhed. I'm a white racist Catholic who bangs prostitutes and I'm still a better Moslim than you are a Buddhist. Quit Buddhisting, you suck at it.

adombomb222
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
What you said sounds more like a personal attack then anything that would add to the discussion. Next time I'd suggest bringing up points of argument to back your claims.

As for this specific order business; the idea of a specific order is retarded, there are two main branches of Buddhism, however, every country and more specifically every temple has different teachings and practices.