PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Hitchens is DEAD.

WebDudette
12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
for real this time, and I'm fucking bummed.

Christopher Hitchens, the author, essayist and polemicist who waged verbal and occasional physical battle on behalf of causes on the left and right, has died after a long battle with cancer at the age of 62. A prolific and public intellectual who enjoyed his drink - enough to "to kill or stun the average mule" - and cigarettes, he announced in June 2010 that he was being treated for cancer of the oesophagus and cancelled a tour for his memoir Hitch-22.
(http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/british-author-christopher-hitchens-dies-at-62-16091902.html#ixzz1gg1aHLcB)

Homer
12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UCK

Time to go burn a church in his honor.

Jojan
12-16-2011, 02:38 AM
This close to Christmas. :-( Let him rest in peace.

Rooster
12-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Nooooooooooooooooo :(

Static_Martyr
12-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Well, fuck. One of the few famous people I actually give a shit about is no longer around. Sad day :(

I'm sure if there was an afterlife, he'd look on with pride as the Christian and Muslim blogs and groups the world over rejoiced in his death....he would probably wear it as a badge of honor :D

WebDudette
12-16-2011, 04:25 AM
We had a memorial services for Isaac [Asimov] a few years back, and at one point I said, ''Isaac is up in Heaven now.'' It was the funniest thing I could have said to a group of Humanists. I rolled them in the aisles. It was several minutes before order could be restored. And if I should ever die, God forbid, I hope you will say, ''Kurt is up in Heaven now.'' Thatís my favorite joke.

found this on reddit, seemed applicable.

Static_Martyr
12-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Tasteless, perhaps, but I wrote a blog post tribute (http://alabamatheist.blogspot.com/2011/12/christopher-hitchens-is-dead.html) to Hitchens that I figure I may as well post here if nowhere else. Complete with sort of personal plug at the end.

Seriously, the world is worse off without him :(

jacknife737
12-16-2011, 07:23 AM
The world got a lot less interesting today.

BagOfShenanigans
12-16-2011, 07:28 AM
And, another person that I've barely heard of dies... And I feel like an idiot.

(15 minutes of research later.)

I'll admit it's a sad event, but we seem to be treating his death as if it destroys everything he ever stood for. As an intellectual, his documented knowledge doesn't die with him. We can still benefit from it.

"I'm not sad that he's gone, but that he's irreplaceable... But all of that is irrelevant, because I'll remember the moral, and the philosophical, and the political, and the human lessons... It is my wish, and my hope, and my intention that his legacy live on."
-TheAmazingAtheist

wheelchairman
12-18-2011, 10:51 AM
While it's sad that someone is dead, I find people too easily support any vocal atheist implicitly simply for being an atheist. (Took me a long time to realize that the atheist Christopher Hitchens was the same idiot Christopher Hitchens behind the 3rd Way and advisor to Tony Blair)

The 3rd Way and his support for the war on terror, his complete exaggeration of the threat of Islam (which overshadowed any other threat) makes him in my book, an irresponsible intellectual at best.

And since Bullshit! no longer airs, his entertainment value to me is rather shallow, though he was good in that show.

Actually I'm being way too generous. His support of the war on terror was dumb, foolhardy, incredibly irresponsible, and the cost of which is still yet to be fully known.

Static_Martyr
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
While it's sad that someone is dead, I find people too easily support any vocal atheist implicitly simply for being an atheist. (Took me a long time to realize that the atheist Christopher Hitchens was the same idiot Christopher Hitchens behind the 3rd Way and advisor to Tony Blair)

The 3rd Way and his support for the war on terror, his complete exaggeration of the threat of Islam (which overshadowed any other threat) makes him in my book, an irresponsible intellectual at best.

And since Bullshit! no longer airs, his entertainment value to me is rather shallow, though he was good in that show.

Actually I'm being way too generous. His support of the war on terror was dumb, foolhardy, incredibly irresponsible, and the cost of which is still yet to be fully known.

I've sort of reserved judgment of The Hitch on matters of Iraq, just because I've heard him talk about it so rarely. I don't feel I really have a full understanding of his positions or reasons for supporting the war, except that he seems to have some strong feelings regarding Muslims. I don't entirely blame him, though....I do understand his argument in particular that atheists, especially in the west, seem to waive a lot of criticism of Muslims where they might be more inclined to criticize Christians. It's like they're afraid of being called racist because of 9/11 and how people treated Arabs after that; a lot of times people act as if you're criticizing Arabs as an ethnicity when in fact you're talking about Islam as a religion and a set of rules. A lot of the same problems happen with Western criticism of Muslims that happen with criticism of Judaism in Christian/western culture --- if you say, for example, that "circumcision is basically genital mutilation, and it's medically unnecessary," there is a fair risk of being called anti-Semitic, even though you're not speaking about "Jews" as a people but rather about Old Testament Jewish religious law. It's a way of evading criticism by playing the race card, and I think Hitchens was on to something with that --- he would take on Muslim and Jewish and Christian apologists equally, without discrimination.

Then again, I'm probably inciting argument by saying that....I'm waiting for someone who's a fan of Chomsky to come bite my head off :D

Also, was Hitchens in Bullshit!? I did not know that. Never watched but one season, and that was just because it was on Netflix and I had nothing better to do.

T-6005
12-18-2011, 01:48 PM
It's like they're afraid of being called racist because of 9/11 and how people treated Arabs after that; a lot of times people act as if you're criticizing Arabs as an ethnicity when in fact you're talking about Islam as a religion and a set of rules.

And so they should be.

I find this statement extremely problematic. So much so that I'm just going to register my outrage and go somewhere else to avoid a rant.

Static_Martyr
12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
And so they should be.

Should be afraid of being called racist for criticizing Islam? I don't agree.

I do agree that there should be an awareness of how people were treated post-9/11, and of the backlash against the Arab and Muslim community, and that this should be taken into consideration when having discussions about either. But I don't think that 9/11 gives a free pass to Islam exempting it from criticisms --- especially when a lot of the same criticisms can be leveled at Christianity, or really, any other world religion. And I find it weaksauce for people to simply write off any and all criticisms of Islam as "racism" against Arabs --- you don't even have to be Arab to be Muslim.

I find this statement extremely problematic. So much so that I'm just going to register my outrage and go somewhere else to avoid a rant.

How so? What did I say that you find so problematic, or that fills you with "outrage?" I seriously don't understand that.

jacknife737
12-18-2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.warisboring.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/828.png

Static_Martyr
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Just because he is dead we are not gonna blow him up. He failed. RIP.

Dude you couldn't blow him up if you wanted to....he's already dead :D

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Asselery
12-21-2011, 10:30 PM
really sucks..