PDA

View Full Version : Noodles is a poser and always has been

yarock
12-18-2011, 02:42 PM
He claimed Rolling Stones are "way" better than the Beatles - that loveable idiot.

Please don't make this a comparison thread.

Retard
12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
To some people they are, what's your point?

yarock
12-19-2011, 04:48 AM
http://crippledsummer.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/102.gif

Retard
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Yea that makes perfect sense.

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Arguing about Stones vs. Beatles is like arguing whether the chicken or the egg came first.

mrconeman
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Nah, The Beatles are far superior.

BagOfShenanigans
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
My personal preference would be the Rolling Stones. You can't dis a fella for having an opinion.

mrconeman
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
My problem with the Stones is that, while they have about 300 good songs, they also have 300 albums, each with one good song, and 9 forgettable wastes of tape. Yeah, I said tape.

The Beatles were more consistent. Although, given that they were around for a lot less time, they weren't able to dilute the good music they made, with the terrible music they probably would have made when they got older and were past it.

yarock
12-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I think if Beatles continued even without McCartney or Lennon, but not without both they would have maintained their stability. Gilmour accomplished the Division Bell without Waters. Waters accomplished Saucerful of Secrets without Barrett.

mrconeman
12-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Pink Floyd are of course superior in every incarnation of Pink Floyd, than The Stones or The Beatles could ever hope to have been. They're the exception to the rule.

RageAndLov
12-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Arguing about Stones vs. Beatles is like arguing whether the chicken or the egg came first.

Obviously the egg came first as the ancestors of the chicken laid eggs. In every generation some evolution happened, until the dinosaur developed into a chicken over millions of years. So basically a dinosaur laid the egg, and the chicken came out of it.

Omni
12-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Didn't the Division Bell get lukewarm reviews from most people? I've never been a Pink Floyd fan, all I know is that the Division Bell has an asskicker of an album cover.

Retard
12-26-2011, 09:56 PM
I've heard the last couple of Floyd albums were kinda lackluster at best. The man who said is someone who I trust for music advice.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Obviously the egg came first as the ancestors of the chicken laid eggs. In every generation some evolution happened, until the dinosaur developed into a chicken over millions of years. So basically a dinosaur laid the egg, and the chicken came out of it.

That was a joke, right? Because I did laugh

My personal preference is the Rolling Stones though. I'm on Noodles with this one

zsk
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
He claimed Rolling Stones are "way" better than the Beatles - that loveable idiot.

well... both suck,for sure!

jacknife737
01-03-2012, 09:20 AM
They're both so boring.

/massively unpopular opinion

Smash punker
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Noodles´s the one, who laughs :D Stones n Beatles are both far from smiling :D

cool 2 hate 681
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
They're both so boring.

/massively unpopular opinion

they probably wouldn't be if this was 1965

mrconeman
01-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Didn't the Division Bell get lukewarm reviews from most people? I've never been a Pink Floyd fan, all I know is that the Division Bell has an asskicker of an album cover.

I've heard the last couple of Floyd albums were kinda lackluster at best. The man who said is someone who I trust for music advice.

A lot of this comes from fanboyism. The last two albums were after Roger Waters left the band, and thus people who think Roger Waters was the be all and end all of Pink Floyd, dislike those albums. The album before those two "The Final Cut" almost completely excluded every other member of the band, and left all of the writing, and singing to Roger Waters, It's pretty much a solo album by Waters. So people who don't like Roger Waters solo style, and "talk singing" that he kind of got into later, think that album is terrible.

People like me, who listen to all three albums objectively, with slight colouration for my adoration of Rogers lyrics, and adoration of Gilmour's guitar solos can appreciate them all for what they actually are, not using silly terms like "Fake Floyd" referring to the Gilmour era, or calling The Final Cut a Roger Waters album.

"The Final Cut" is a great album, because it contains some absolutely fantastic lyricism from Roger. There are no "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" or "Echoes" style musical epics on here, but they are replaced by very nice acoustic and piano numbers, with fantastic lyrics.

"A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is a very sub-par album, probably Pink Floyd's worst, but it still has a few good tracks on there, the band were lost, and you can hear it. They got ghost writers for the lyrics and everything, it's just not a good album.

"The Division Bell" completely redeems David Gilmour era Pink Floyd, because while the lyrics aren't nearly as strong as any Floyd effort before it, it contains some of the greatest melodic guitar playing ever recorded. Songs on those two last albums got pretty cheesy, but it was coming out of the 80's and early 90's that caused that most likely. The production on The Division Bell is second to none though, even now.

Jakebert
01-15-2012, 11:03 PM
I hate the last 3 Floyd albums. "The Final Cut" has decent lyrics but also has some of Waters' worst instincts all on display. "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" is a much better example of what Waters can do with his post-Floyd, less song-oriented approach.

The problem I have with The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason is that, unlike Floyd at their peak, they sound so incredibly dated. Why I love Floyd is that even though their albums are pretty much required albums from their era, they also sound kind of timeless. Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason just kind of sound like stereotypical soft rock from that era.

However, since we're getting into Floyd...I'm gonna throw out there that "Piper," "Meddle," and "Saucer" are probably my 3 favorite Floyd albums, although I like pretty much everything up until the Wall.

And if we're talking overhyped classic rock bands you have to mention The Who. Who's Next is an absolutely amazing album that's 10/10 perfect. Every other album is hit or miss with at least 4 awful and embarrassing songs making up for the good ones.

Also I've never been able to get into the Stones. I've tried dozens of times and they just don't do anything for me. I've been obsessed with the Beatles since I was 10 though.

ad8
01-16-2012, 03:41 AM

She is probably crying now.

personal_loans_1
01-16-2012, 05:48 AM
You said 'she' and 'is probably crying' wow, you're going all the way.

I don't know the Beatles too well, but they are in almost every 'the most psychedelic songs' compilation. I need to check this out.

Jakebert
01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
What else would this thread be if it wasn't a comparison thread? There's literally nothing else in the original post to discuss.

ad8
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
What else would this thread be if it wasn't a comparison thread? There's literally nothing else in the original post to discuss.
Well, it was posted in GOD...

Retard
01-16-2012, 12:36 PM
A friend of mine has pretty much everything Floyd has released, and I've heard bits and pieces of stuff from the last couple albums, they just seemed like shitty blues rock to me. I love Piper, I was bored to tears by the Wall. The Stones have amazing songs, I don't know about albums. For me at least, I haven't heard a whole song. I love the beatles some people are confused by that.

Jakebert
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
The Wall is an overrated piece of shit with a handful of brilliant songs.

mrconeman
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I hate the last 3 Floyd albums. "The Final Cut" has decent lyrics but also has some of Waters' worst instincts all on display. "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" is a much better example of what Waters can do with his post-Floyd, less song-oriented approach.

I remember you citing dislike of the talk-singing before, but it never bothered me. What would have been worse was trying to sing with a voice that wasn't there anymore. Also Amused to Death >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pros and Cons.

The problem I have with The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason is that, unlike Floyd at their peak, they sound so incredibly dated.
Definitely agree on Momentary Lapse. It's ridiculously 80's, and the less said about it the better. However I disagree somewhat on the Division Bell. It's definitely not classic Floyd, nor would I call it required listening. But I would hesitate to call it dated, given the amazing production on it, and while it has shades of typical soft rock, there are highlights on there that just cannot be pushed aside as such. High Hopes, Wearing the Inside Out, enough said.

However, since we're getting into Floyd...I'm gonna throw out there that "Piper," "Meddle," and "Saucer" are probably my 3 favorite Floyd albums, although I like pretty much everything up until the Wall.
I do genuinely like every Floyd album to some varying degree, however, much to many peoples dismay, I find the Syd era grating to listen to. He was a great writer, and yet not as good as Roger in his prime, and he was an extremely average musician (In the context of David Gilmour, and Richard Wright especially). People get heated when I make these points, but they aren't untrue. So I wouldn't have the Syd albums at the top, definitely not. Meddle though, for sure.

The Wall is an overrated piece of shit with a handful of brilliant songs.
Overrated? Yes. Piece of Shit? You crazy.

Retard
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I agree with the piece of shit opinion. I can't even listen to the singles anymore cuz they get played SOOO goddamn much.

mrconeman
01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
You know there only was two singles from The Wall, right?
And one of them never gets played. Leaving only Another Brick in the Wall part 2.

A comment like that might leave one thinking that you either
A. Want to sound cool and don't know what you're talking about. Or
B. Want to sound cool and don't know what you're talking about and haven't listened to The Wall.

Now, I really don't want to sound like one of these assholes that say "OH YOU JUST DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T LISTENED TO IT LOLOOLOLOL". Jakebert doesn't like it, and I trust his opinions of why will probably be fairly valid, I know he knows that album well. But "OMG THE SINGLES ARE OVERPLAYED" Doesn't really catch weight with me.

Jakebert
01-17-2012, 09:04 AM
My issue with the Wall is that, like The Final Cut, it takes all of Waters' worst tenancies- over the top pretentiousness, placing concept above quality, being bloated and way too long, "The Trial", etc. and packs it all into one double album that suffers. Half of the songs feel like unfinished demos, and the others suffer from that weird 80s production that make them sound cheesy.

The singles, or the best known songs from the album, actually tend to be the best ones, so Retard's opinion there kind of confuses me. Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Mother, etc. are great because they're fully formed songs that actually go somewhere. Most of the rest of the album just feels clumsy to me.

I think with Floyd that they worked best when Waters and Gilmour tempered each others' instincts. Gilmour has a tenancy to slip into cheesy soft rock, while Waters have a tenancy to go too far in the other direction and ignore songs completely. When you have those two together it works amazingly. Veer off too far in one direction, and you get a relatively crappy album.

I agree that Syd isn't an amazing musician. But I love his songwriting style because it's so off-kilter and weird and different. Then again, I usually tend to put "Piper" in the same category as his solo stuff, not Pink Floyd. I listened to "Barret" earlier today and one of the reasons I love it so much is how shitty of a guitar player Syd is. He plays a simple acoustic part, but it sounds almost like percussion instrument because he's so sloppy, which adds something really cool and unique to the music.

Retard
01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
You know there only was two singles from The Wall, right?
And one of them never gets played. Leaving only Another Brick in the Wall part 2.

A comment like that might leave one thinking that you either
A. Want to sound cool and don't know what you're talking about. Or
B. Want to sound cool and don't know what you're talking about and haven't listened to The Wall.

Now, I really don't want to sound like one of these assholes that say "OH YOU JUST DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T LISTENED TO IT LOLOOLOLOL". Jakebert doesn't like it, and I trust his opinions of why will probably be fairly valid, I know he knows that album well. But "OMG THE SINGLES ARE OVERPLAYED" Doesn't really catch weight with me.

Hey You, Comfortably Numb, and Brick In the Wall are played on the radio daily here so i don't know where you figure that only one song gets played. I've heard the album twice, once while setting out to actually listen to the album, was bored within the first song from disc two. The other time a friend put it on because he said I needed to hear it again to really get it. He was wrong. I've never wanted to sound cool so that theory is pretty fucking stupid. If I wanted to sound cool I'd probably say something like oh hey the wall is great such an amazing album i like that song brick! So stop assuming that just because someone has a different opinion than you on an album that has been deemed a classic. I didn't like the record, I'm not the biggest band of Psych rock, sorry if that offends you, but don't fucking assume shit about why other people have opinions about shit. It makes you look like an ass. Especially when you say something like you don't want to sound like an ass, it's like saying "No Offense" before saying something really insulting. The album is a boring overlong muddled piece of music, I've liked most of the other Floyd I've heard, I just don't like the Wall.

yarock
01-23-2012, 07:17 PM
The Wall isn't a psychedelic rock album.

Other than that, I generally prefer Lapse of Reason to Division Bell nowadays. When you really get into a band, all of their work just become tolerable and valuable for you. Or for me.

I was avoiding listening A Lot Like Me and Fix You for some time. When yesterday hearing them I regretted that I didn't enjoy these songs more over 3,5 years.

robinhood005
01-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Some 300 CDs, but also good songs have my problem with stones, each with I said 300 albums and 9 not forgettable, the tape from the tape.