PDA

View Full Version : Venting About Annoying Facebook Friends

bighead384
12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a friend on Facebook who writes a cheesy original inspirational quote as his status almost everyday. I'm dead serious when I say he literally might not miss more than 15 days a year of doing this. And very often, what he says is so cliche that it's hard to imagine what he gets out of posting it. To make matters worse, he has this legion of people who constantly like his statuses, as if what he does is truly inspirational. He is a pretty successful guy who happens to be conservative politically and grew up pretty wealthy, so I admit that probably makes it more annoying to me. But even beyond that, there's just something irksome to me about someone who can self-motivate themselves so easily that all it takes is a cheesy quote. I know him somewhat well, and I honestly think he has some sort of reverse depression syndrome. Honestly, I've heard numerous people say they think he's on drugs because of how constantly pumped up he is.

Here are some examples of what he posts on Facebook...EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.:

"You want to achieve your goals? It comes down to control. You have to run your life; don't let it run you."

Pain is a test of willpower. It's your body's attempt to prevent you from reaching your goals. Pushing through it comes down to one simple question: How badly do you want it?

"Love and hate are the two most powerful emotions. They both compel people to engage in extreme actions. As long as you're alive, they're almost impossible to avoid. You just have to decide which one's driving you.

BagOfShenanigans
12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I wish I could tell you that I have no clue what you're talking about, but sadly, I have the same kind of idiot friend. Here's a great example!

"That's the way it is, you gotta roll with the punches. That's the way it goes, you gotta bend when the wind blows. You live, you learn, you crash and burn- It's hit or miss... but thats the way it is"
He posts shit like this every day. Every day.

Facebook is barely worth it sometimes...

Static_Martyr
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
"That's the way it is, you gotta roll with the punches. That's the way it goes, you gotta bend when the wind blows. You live, you learn, you crash and burn- It's hit or miss... but thats the way it is"

:o holy shit, I actually know that song....my mom listens to Jo Dee Messina...lol

bighead384
12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I wish I could tell you that I have no clue what you're talking about...

Oh come on...everyone knows a person or five on FB has these annoying tendencies.

Jojan
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I have a hard time understanding why people still use Facebook.

Chainsaw
12-19-2011, 03:22 AM
I've set it so I receive only important updates from annoying people. Seems like it's working.

wheelchairman
12-19-2011, 03:46 AM
My most popular (according to me) was my status where I said "Inspirational quotes are a warning label for the insane".

This also has to be the most poignant fact I've made about facebook.

personal_loans_1
12-19-2011, 07:54 AM
“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”http://www.animowane-gify.net/gify/4/28.gif

Yes, it still appears once in a while. But thing I hate the most are people who are obviously about to say something, but before they do they have to post something vague and worrisome, that should cause a millions of why? what happened?.

Llamas
12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
My former babysitter, who I don't have the heart to block:

"Goodnite ♥ friends"

"Well now I can post this....lol its been long over and the winner was: Sophie so not expecting that outcome, but if it couldnt be coach I'd rather she get it over Albert! Ooooh and ozzy got the sprint player of the game fan vote! Next season looks good, two teams on one beach! Can't wait....."

"It's "A Christmas Story", Facebook edition! Go to your profile and put in the first 10 people on the left... NO CHEATING!
*List of friends' names with lame descriptions*"

"Crap! Survior isn't going the way I hoped I think he will be gone now :("

Yeah, they're all like that. She's in her 30s.

My brother's wife is just as bad, but in a depressing way. She's also super obese and her kids are well on their way to joining her, and she posts about food all the time.

"Just made enough spaghetti sauce for 4 meals. I am in the middle of making a huge pot of split pea soup (Gram style), chicken in gravy for over rice, oreo truffles and nutter butter truffles. MOTIVATED!"

"Everyone has six names:
1. Your real name: Denise
2. Your detective name (favorite color and favorite animal):Blue Horse
3. Your soap opera name (middle name and street you live on): (middle name redacted) M
4. Your star wars name (first 3 letters of last name, first 2 of middle name / first 2 of first name, last 3 of last name): Heyrede
5. Superhero name (color of your shirt, first object to your immediate left):Brown Curtain
6. Goth name (Black and one of your pets): Black Eve"

"I want to make cupcakes! One with Cinnabon frosting and the other with fluffy frosting dipped in chocolate. Pinterest....you are so evil!"

"Call me crazy...but I am going to start making my own laundry detergent (3 ingredients) ...I will let you know how it works. I am thrilled to give this a shot and save $$$$$!"

And all her posts about saving random babies from dying (not exaggerating) and about her kids being sick and getting picked on cause they're wusses:

"Prayers for Clara please. She caught Noahs cold and the way it is going...it might be a hospital stay. The cold for Noah...barely tell he has it. Clara...fever over 103 fighting it since 3 am yesterday and now severe cold symptoms."

"HELP please. Noah came home with another red mark on his forhead. This is the third or fourth time this school year where another student pushed him down. I am not sure how to handle this. I have sent an email to his teacher and we have communicated about the other incidents. I wonder if I am overreacting and this is normal...or if I should be worried. Cause I am worried. Any thoughts?"

Gawd, these two drive me NUTS.

PAC90
12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Am I a bad person for getting annoyed when obese people talk about food?

I Mean i have a friend who is really fat and everytime she says she's going to bake a chocolate cake or eat tons of ice cream i get pissed at her

wheelchairman
12-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Yup, that's pretty superficial and not really any of your business. You suck, Pac.

Llamas
12-20-2011, 05:57 AM
The fact that the woman I talked about is my brother's wife... she wasn't fat when they got married, but then she had a kid and got obese because she decided not to work anymore and just stay home all day and eat pizza and ice cream and oreo truffles (wtf?) with her kid... and then had another kid just as the first kid was becoming school age... so she could continue to sit at home and stuff her face with her kids... well that legit bugs the hell out of me. The other girl I mentioned is also obese and posts about food, but that doesn't bother me really. It's the fact that this woman has ruined my brother's life (in many ways) and can't even make a bit of effort to take care of herself for him, and is in the process of what I consider to be child abuse that gets me.

I mean, I'm sorry, but you have two young children. Isn't it time to lay off the fatty fat foods and feed your kids with a few ounces of nutrition? And then you complain that they have to go to the hospital when they have a cold... no shit, maybe if they could build proper immune systems?

samseby
12-20-2011, 06:16 AM
If in fact it's so annoying and unnerving why bother reading it, reposting it and venting about it? ;)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/250/3/8/Anti_Facebook_by_Ayhamov.png

I still prefer twitter ;)

nieh
12-20-2011, 06:32 AM
I have a friend on Facebook who writes a cheesy original inspirational quote as his status almost everyday. I'm dead serious when I say he literally might not miss more than 15 days a year of doing this. And very often, what he says is so cliche that it's hard to imagine what he gets out of posting it. To make matters worse, he has this legion of people who constantly like his statuses, as if what he does is truly inspirational. He is a pretty successful guy who happens to be conservative politically and grew up pretty wealthy, so I admit that probably makes it more annoying to me. But even beyond that, there's just something irksome to me about someone who can self-motivate themselves so easily that all it takes is a cheesy quote. I know him somewhat well, and I honestly think he has some sort of reverse depression syndrome. Honestly, I've heard numerous people say they think he's on drugs because of how constantly pumped up he is.

Here are some examples of what he posts on Facebook...EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.:
Yeah, I have a friend like that where almost every post they make sounds like the deep thoughts of a high school stoner, but she's 30 and people constantly like and comment on them. I kind of assumed it was because she was hot and they all wanted to do her.

"We must pursue knowledge without any interference of our addictions (both outside and within - chemical, emotional, people, thought addictions - ALL we are addicted to) . And if we can do I believe that, we will manifest our knowledge in real ways, creating, to pull out of inertness, action-- chaos-- and hold it into form... maybe this is what we really call matter."

BagOfShenanigans
12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Am I a bad person for getting annoyed when obese people talk about food?

I Mean i have a friend who is really fat and everytime she says she's going to bake a chocolate cake or eat tons of ice cream i get pissed at her

Nope, it's only bad that society keeps people from speaking out about shit like that.

Llamas
12-20-2011, 07:21 AM
If in fact it's so annoying and unnerving why bother reading it, reposting it and venting about it? ;)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/250/3/8/Anti_Facebook_by_Ayhamov.png

I still prefer twitter ;)

I love it when people proudly proclaim that they don't use Facebook, like they're above everyone else for it... but they use Twitter or some other social site. It's like proudly stating that you don't own a TV... when you download all your shows online. Get off your high horse.

There are a couple people on my FB who post "inspirational quotes" every day, but I generally skim their posts and don't really notice them. How many "likes" they get is a bit unnerving, though.

wheelchairman
12-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Llamas, I hadn't read your post and I don't really care. I was just replying honestly to that other guy based on what he said. God knows you've said enough superficial things over the years but as far as I'm concerned you have to go pretty far back in time to spot them.

Blitz!
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I have a friend who can’t stop feeling sorry for herself. Every day, there are four or five posts, droning on about how unfair life is. I understand her situation and she has my sympathy, but I heard it the first 500 times, it’s time to give it a rest.

Jakebert
12-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The one Facebook trend I love is overly defensive "About Me" sections. I feel like you'd have to be a really horrible person to have to constantly tell people you don't care what they think about you.

PAC90
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Yup, that's pretty superficial and not really any of your business. You suck, Pac.

So It's superficial that she's constantly making her health worst and I don't agree with it? I mean I could understand it being superficial if I said she was less attractive while fat or something like that but really? And of course it's none of my business that's why i don't consell her on her lifestyle or eating habits.

T-6005
12-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I thought it was said here, but the ones where people just make comments so people will ask them what's wrong annoy me.

"Ugh... worst day ever."
Queue a million "what's wrong hun?" comments below that one.

PAC90
12-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought it was said here, but the ones where people just make comments so people will ask them what's wrong annoy me.

"Ugh... worst day ever."

And the worst thing is some then say "I don't wanna talk about it" after they put their status so people would ask whats wrong

http://www.quickmeme.com/Annoying-Facebook-Girl/ this link usually has some of the most annoying habits on facebook

bathroom
12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Another example of a when a friend will need support is during a ... a cocktail and vent about your work problems helps a great deal. Some workplace stress is a daily occurrence and while they may be annoying, everyone has to face them. ... us on Facebook · Follow us on Twitter · Follow us on You Tube.

wheelchairman
12-21-2011, 03:17 AM
So It's superficial that she's constantly making her health worst and I don't agree with it? I mean I could understand it being superficial if I said she was less attractive while fat or something like that but really? And of course it's none of my business that's why i don't consell her on her lifestyle or eating habits.

You said you get annoyed when fat people talk about eating. Pretty superficial. I also don't truly believe you care about her health, but if you do, fuck yiu and worry about your own health instead. Busy-bodies like you are so fucking annoying.

PAC90
12-21-2011, 05:47 AM
You said you get annoyed when fat people talk about eating. Pretty superficial. I also don't truly believe you care about her health, but if you do, fuck yiu and worry about your own health instead. Busy-bodies like you are so fucking annoying.

Ok so it's only superficial cause you don't believe i care about her health fair enough. I guess it would be superficial if i said i don't like people with lung diseases who smoke as well or people with liver diseases who drink. But yeah I don't like people who are unhealthy to keep getting more unhealthy and talk about it all happy. And if you don't like me being like that, fuck you it's none of your business, people like you are so fucking annoying -_-

wheelchairman
12-21-2011, 05:55 AM
But it is my business because I do smoke and eat unhealthy, and actually I like it. Good health is overrated, who wants to live longer if life is more boring? More importantly, fuck you its my choice, worry about your own choices. I don't think that's too much to ask, who gave you the right to whine on behalf of others? Maybe your friend prioritizes food over good looks (which is what we're talking about, she's decades away from having health problems).

P.s. a person with lung disease who smokes makes perfect sense, what's gonna happen? Double lung disease? Might as well make the best of a shitty situation. Not that its any of your pompous concern, you condescending prick.

Llamas
12-21-2011, 06:58 AM
I agree with both of you in a way... WCM is totally right in that, who am I/who are you/who are we to judge the lifestyles of individuals? Unless it's your significant other, everyone has a right to live how they want to.

There are a couple exceptions, though. One is when the person has made it explicitly clear that they are unhappy with their situation and desire help. The other is when their lifestyle is negatively affecting those around them that you care about.

My brother's ex-wife was the perfect example of the first. She was obese at least 5 years ago, something around 220 lbs. Well, to put it simply, she went from this (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2975/42/96/1365850999/n1365850999_30115422_6631318.jpg) to this (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2975/42/96/1365850999/n1365850999_30115474_7272796.jpg), due to help from those around her and a desire to change.

My brother's current wife is much bigger. She was a normal weight when they got married, and now her lack of concern about her health has taken a huge toll on my brother... and now it's sadly affecting their kids.

There are times when I believe it's okay to give your opinion and make something your business. However, when I meet or hang out with someone who does something I don't think is healthy, I don't reprimand them on it or even bring it up at all. I do hate it when people do that. If you're eating McDonalds or smoking or whatever, go ahead. If you want help, I'll offer it. If you're bringing down someone I care about, I might step in.

PAC90
12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
But it is my business because I do smoke and eat unhealthy, and actually I like it. Good health is overrated, who wants to live longer if life is more boring? More importantly, fuck you its my choice, worry about your own choices. I don't think that's too much to ask, who gave you the right to whine on behalf of others? Maybe your friend prioritizes food over good looks (which is what we're talking about, she's decades away from having health problems).

P.s. a person with lung disease who smokes makes perfect sense, what's gonna happen? Double lung disease? Might as well make the best of a shitty situation. Not that its any of your pompous concern, you condescending prick.

First of all if you smoke it's not just about you, you affect other people. Second i clearly stated that i don't consell anyone about their lifestyle choices, i may not aprove but i keep them to myself, unlike you who clearly disaprove of my oppinion and have to be so vocal about it. And how do you know she's decades away from having health problems? people keep having health problems at younger and younger ages.

P.S: You clearly shoudn't talk about lung diseases if you clearly don't know what you're talking about... Chronic lung disease is a gradual process if you start showing signs of bronchitis you stop smoking and it doesn't progress. if you keep smoking it gets worse. and the thing is in my country we have to pay in our taxes for people who have oxygen masks but still keep smoking cause screw it free health care, so it is of my pompous concern retard

PAC90
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree with both of you in a way... WCM is totally right in that, who am I/who are you/who are we to judge the lifestyles of individuals? Unless it's your significant other, everyone has a right to live how they want to.

There are a couple exceptions, though. One is when the person has made it explicitly clear that they are unhappy with their situation and desire help. The other is when their lifestyle is negatively affecting those around them that you care about.

My brother's ex-wife was the perfect example of the first. She was obese at least 5 years ago, something around 220 lbs. Well, to put it simply, she went from this (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2975/42/96/1365850999/n1365850999_30115422_6631318.jpg) to this (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2975/42/96/1365850999/n1365850999_30115474_7272796.jpg), due to help from those around her and a desire to change.

My brother's current wife is much bigger. She was a normal weight when they got married, and now her lack of concern about her health has taken a huge toll on my brother... and now it's sadly affecting their kids.

There are times when I believe it's okay to give your opinion and make something your business. However, when I meet or hang out with someone who does something I don't think is healthy, I don't reprimand them on it or even bring it up at all. I do hate it when people do that. If you're eating McDonalds or smoking or whatever, go ahead. If you want help, I'll offer it. If you're bringing down someone I care about, I might step in.

And Llamas of course i agree with him in a way that it's none of my business that's why i keep it to myself, but it sometimes annoys me seeing people trash their own health like that but I agree they are in their right

personal_loans_1
12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
To think about that, oxygene mask and cigarettes seem like perfect harmony. And while at the beginning this whole argument seemed like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gspBxOJg510), now you totally lost it Pac.

ps.I hope saddly affecting doesn't mean that she would wake up one day and put all the blame for staying at home and growing fat (like, she has now shorter but also no-life) on her kids.

WebDudette
12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
And if you don't like me being like that, fuck you it's none of your business, people like you are so fucking annoying -_-

lololololololo

Asselery
12-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I wish I could tell you that I have no clue what you're talking about, but sadly, I have the same kind of idiot friend. Here's a great example!

He posts shit like this every day. Every day.

Facebook is barely worth it sometimes...

I've been so happy since I deleted mine.

bighead384
12-23-2011, 08:31 AM
-You're being "that guy" if you post a status that everyone is posting. But then you're also being "that guy" if you just HAVE post a status criticizing everyone for posting the same thing with this smug sense of superiority.

-Some people post really mediocre things and get a lot of likes. That's a bit annoying, although I feel pathetic for noticing it.

Harleyquiiinn
12-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Honestly, I think I win this so much. But I have to admit, I collect. There's that one guy I was friend with in primary school. I had to have him. I saw what he posted on his profile via other friends facebook. Fantastic. Great quotes, like your guy.

But the best was this : He posted on his wall his girlfriend's pregnancy test that he photographed on his tattoed arm.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
5. Superhero name (color of your shirt, first object to your immediate left):Brown Curtain

!@#$, my superhero name is Blue Shelving Unit.

I just got Facebook, and I am already being annoyed by people like that. I didn't know so many people thought the same way.

Oh, Wheelchairman, you should calm down a little. Pac was just saying his opinion and you twisted what he was trying to say and became a little over dramatic about it. I agree with Pac, that it's important to wish health for people you care about, but to allow them to live their own choice.

Paint_It_Black
01-12-2012, 05:03 AM

"Ugh... worst day ever."

Those are pretty bad. I believe it's called vaguebooking.

I have a friend who is really charismatic and likeable yet on Facebook all he does is post those annoying "inspirational" quotes. It's the exact same phenomena as has already been described in this thread. A quote is posted randomly without any context and immediately receives a dozen likes. What makes it weird though is that my friend's husband is another Facebook stereotype. He's the whiney guy who either does the vague "Ugh... worst day ever" updates looking for random sympathy OR does the passive aggressive "sometimes I wonder why I even bother having friends" routine. In tandem their updates amuse me quite a bit.

Paint_It_Black
01-12-2012, 05:42 AM
P.S: You clearly shoudn't talk about lung diseases if you clearly don't know what you're talking about... Chronic lung disease is a gradual process if you start showing signs of bronchitis you stop smoking and it doesn't progress. if you keep smoking it gets worse. and the thing is in my country we have to pay in our taxes for people who have oxygen masks but still keep smoking cause screw it free health care, so it is of my pompous concern retard

Do you even know how much tax smokers have to pay in your country? Here, I'll do the research for you (http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/eu-cigarette-prices/).

Using the UK as an example, taxes on tobacco brought in almost 10 billion pounds of tax revenue from 2005-2006 (http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/). The estimated cost of smoking to the National Health Service for the same year is 5 billion pounds (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8086142.stm). So smokers actually generated 5 billion pounds of net profit for the government from 2005-2006.

I don't know anything about Portugal but unless you can prove otherwise I'm going to assume that the UK model probably translates pretty well. It may well be that those oxygen-mask wearing smokers are not only paying their own share of health care costs but are actually paying your health care costs for you. Try saying thank you next time you see one.

"You clearly shouldn't talk...if you clearly don't know what you're talking about." - You.

Llamas
01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Nobody here has got anything on these:
The 50 most brilliant, obnoxious, or delightfully sociopathic Facebook posts of 2011 (http://www.happyplace.com/13075/the-50-most-brilliant-obnoxious-or-delightfully-sociopathic-facebook-posts-of-2011)

Jakebert
01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm always really skeptical about lists like that actually being real and not just being a bunch of photoshops.

Llamas
01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
A couple definitely look shopped... but at least a few of them I did see throughout the year, with links to profiles included.

Jojan
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Do people still use a thing like Facebook in this day and age ?

Llamas
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
In regards to ones that are real and ones that are fake, this one is real:

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2011/12/4ee265100d303.jpg

It was linked a few months ago and you could actually go to the kid's profile and see all the reactions to the situation.

This one has to be fake:

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2011/08/4e3710681b222.png

It was a private message... so which one of them submitted it? Neither of them would ever dream of submitting something so embarrassing... I doubt either of them found it funny.

This one was definitely real, too:
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/images/feed_assets/4db9bf5da4460.jpg

yarock
01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Why do you post such crap?

Retard
01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I've seen the comma one before, but never seen the one about the guy and his friend's mom. That's awesome. My friend has a mom that was FAMOUS for being hot. Like the whole school somehow knew his mom was hot. I'd say oh yea that's bob over there that wacky bastard. Some random person that never hung out with my group of friends, isn't his mom like super hot? yes yes she is.

personal_loans_1
01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I just realized that you may add your unborn (yet, though maybe aborted too, why not) baby to your family on fb. With predicted date and name (optional). Sweet.

samseby
02-13-2012, 06:27 AM
"Interesting" way to deal with it ... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx82dXIiJY8

bighead384
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
A guy posted a status where he claimed to be riding his bike to the bookstore to read for the day. He concluded this statement with "#intellectualfags".

This annoyed me, because it seemed like a way for him to have his cake and eat it too. On one hand, he let's everyone know he's the type of guy who will go to the bookstore to read all day. But on the other hand, mocking his own claim allowed him to appear to be above others who might be doing the same thing.

samseby
03-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Maybe that's gonna help?!

http://mashable.com/2012/03/26/facebook-app-enemies/