Screeching Weasel – First World Manifesto
Old Man Malarkey – Guts’n’Teeth
Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Magic of Youth
Dead to Me – Moscow Penny Ante
Horrible Crowes - Elsie
Nothington – Borrowed Time
Samiam – Trips
Dave Hause – Resolutions

It was a good year for folkish/acoustic stuff. Hearts Beats Pacific is pretty much a perfect example of melodic punk; Frank Turner's new one was dangerously close to surpassing Love Ire and Song as his best work. Elsie sounded at times like Nic Cave meets Gaslight Anthem which which was pretty weird but rad as well. Old Man Malarkey was one of the most surprisng to make this list, but it's managed to make me a fan of bluegrass.

Top EPs
The Flatliners – Count Your Bruises
Chixdiggit –Safeways Here We Come
Nothington - More Than Obvious
Cobra Skulls – Brining the War Home
Hot Water Music – The Fire, the Steel, the Tread
Against Me! – Russian Spies
Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me
Mixtapes – the Companions
Mixtapes - Hope is for People

Special Mentions
Corba Skulls - Agitations
Banquets – Top Button Bottom Shelf
RVIVR – The Joester Sessions
Elway – Delusions
Fucked Up – David Comes to LIfe
Heartsounds – Drifter
Swinging Utters – Here Under Protest
Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2
Sloan - The Double Cross

A lot of these could have easily made the top 10. The only reason RVIVR is here is that most of the songs are actually just re-recorded versions of stuff that came out last year. The Sloan record took a while to grow on me, but when it finally clicked it was power pop heaven. Banquets is also one fo the catchiest records of the year, and had one of my favorite lyrics "I pissed in your garden, so nothing's gonna grow".

Best Albums that i picked up that didn’t actually come out this year
The Sidekicks – Weight of Air
Dauntless Elite –Graft

Dauntless Elite sound like if Off With Their Heads were English and sang less depressing songs. The Sidekicks album had lyrics that would just stick with for hours after listening to it.

"It seems that people around me are dropping like flies
But there wasn't any signs of them slowing
It's just that breathing gets harder with passage of time"

cool 2 hate 681
12-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Face to Face - Laugh Now, Laugh Later
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Unwritten Law - Swan
Banner Pilot – Heart Beats Pacific
Big D and the Kids Table - For the Damned, the Dumb & the Delirious
Screeching Weasel – First World Manifesto
Samiam – Trips
Cobra Skulls - Agitations
Strung Out - Top Contenders: The Best of Strung Out
H2O - Don't Forget Your Roots
Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm with You
The Dwarves - The Dwarves Are Born Again
The Aquabats – Hi-Five Soup!
Bush - The Sea of Memories
Dave Hause – Resolutions
Cake - Showroom of Compassion
Chevelle - Hats Off to the Bull
Alkaline Trio - Damnesia

Favorite EPs

Less Than Jake - Greetings From Less Than Jake
Against Me! – Russian Spies
Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me
Face to Face/Rise Against Split
H2O - CA
H2O - NY
H2O - DC
Guttermouth/The New Threat Split

Biggest disappointments

Rise Against – Endgame
Social Distortion – Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes

coke_a_holic
12-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Yo, okay, this is just alphabetical, but I'm alright with it, I think:

Astronautalis - This Is Our Science
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Charles Bradley - No Time For Dreaming
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
The Mountain Goats - All Eternal's Deck
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Touche Amore - Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

Jojan
12-20-2011, 01:57 AM
I just want to remind you that 2011 is not over yet.

ad8
12-21-2011, 04:52 AM
I just want to remind you that 2011 is not over yet.
Yes, there is a huuuuge Ricetigers record coming out in two days, look out for that one! :D

On a serious note, though: I am currently enjoying Lagwagons 2011 reissues of Hoss, Trashed and Let's Talk About Feelings, even though the actual albums date back way further. I had high expectations for Rise Against's Endgame and I havent really decided if it was really good or not. I liked some of the songs a lot. Other than that, I have not listened to that much music that was actually released in 2011, except for some great your band songs/albums and of course the bbs mixtape.

Outerspaceman21
12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
In no particular order

Polar Bear Club - Clash Battle Guilt Pride
Mastodon - The Hunter
Strung Out - Top Contenders: The Best of Strung Out
Social Distortion - Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes
Thrice - Major/Minor

I was a bit disappointed by the new Pour Habit, it was alright, but not as great as it could have been. I have not heard the new Black Keys yet, but I want to. I fucking loved their last album, Brothers, so I have high hopes for this new one.

Llamas
12-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Edit: I missed a bunch!!

Best EP of 2011:
Regina Spektor - Four from Far

Best of 2011:
Girl in a Coma - Exits and All the Rest
Lisa Hannigan - Passenger
Dan Coyle - From Prague to Paris
Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
Adele - 21
Atmosphere - The Family Sign
Cake - Showroom of Compassion
The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
Vanessa Carlton - Rabbits on the Run
Puscifer - Conditions of My Parole
Toussaint Morrison... is not my homeboy

Average (Listened to repeatedly, but didn't blow me away):
Sum 41- Screaming Bloody Murder
Wild Flag - Wild Flag
Thao and Mirah - Thao and Mirah
Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
Alkaline Trio - Damnesia
Pixie Carnation - New World Record
Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday
Maria Taylor - Overlook

Worst of 2011:
Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra

Those are all the albums I can think of that I checked out this year... might've been others?

cool 2 hate 681
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Worst of 2011:
Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra

my list of that is

Limp Bizkit - Gold Cobra
Sublime with Rome - Yours Truly
Angels and Airwaves - Love: Part Two

jacknife737
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Something called "Gold Cobra" was never going to be good.

Llamas
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Something called "Gold Cobra" was never going to be good.

So much truth. No idea how I expected anything decent with that title going on.

cool 2 hate 681
12-23-2011, 09:49 AM
i never expected it to be good i was just kinda interested in hearing it and couldn't get past the first two songs

IamSam
12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
If Sean Connery commented in this thread he would say 'your mother trebeck.' So I'd have to say your mother. Because Sean Connery would know bext.

Rooster
12-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Bah, Sean Connery wouldn't comment in this thread. He's too busy shaving the world again.

My best of list is pretty short:

- Foo Fighters: Wasting Light
- Social Distortion: Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes

But that's because I didn't even check that much new music, and from the new albums I did check these two are the best. I could have listed a few more albums, but what's the point of listing 10 albums if you return to just 2 of them regularly?

dff_punk
12-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Sum 41 - Screaming Bloody Murder
Zebrahead - Get Nice!
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Social Distortion - Hard Times & Nursery Rhymes
Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
Blink 182 - Neighbourhoods

...in that exact order. Needed to check out my mp3 player for this, maybe I forgot something.

Oh and some local Slovak/Czech bands released some cool shit this year too.

samseby
12-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Social D's for sure and Adele's "21"!

Jakebert
12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
In order kind of:

1.) Wild Flag- Wild Flag
2.) Destroyer- Kaputt
3.) M83- Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
4.) Real Estate- Days
5.) PJ Harvey- Let England Shake
6.) St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
7.) Kurt Vile- Smoke Ring For My Halo
8.) Dum Dum Girls- Only In Dreams
9.) Washed Out- Within and Without
10.) Feelies- Here Before

Honorable mention:
Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Due, But You Will
The Mountain Goats- All Eternals Deck
R.E.M.- Collapse Into Now
Bon Iver- Bon Iver, Bon Iver
Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
Pains of Being Pure at Heart- Belong
Yuck- Yuck
Neon Indian- Era Extrana
The Black Keys- El Camino

I thought this was a really good year for music and there's about 10 more albums I'd consider putting on my honorable mentions list. Also, my top 5 is mostly interchangeable because I'm obsessed with all 5 of those albums equally. Wild Flag gets my number one though just for being an amazingly straight forward, no frills rock album.

Most of my honorable mention stuff is stuff I liked but had a few dud songs (R.E.M., Mountain Goats, Bon Iver) or stuff I like a lot but just haven't listened to as much as the top 10 (Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Fleet Foxes). I haven't had much time with The Black Keys since it just came out, and I just listened to the Yuck album a few days ago since I just heard of it like a week ago even though it's great.

jacknife737
01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
I've actually picked up a number of records the last few days, there's a good chance they may have made my list if I had checked them out earlier in the year. One of the main standouts among them was:

Joyce Manor - S/T
-Reminds me a lot of Jawbreaker, really catchy stuff.

Retard
01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna give myself another week to review everything.... then i'll be ready.

Jakebert
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
I think for 2012 I'm going to be really creepy and weird and keep a spreadsheet of new music I've listened to. There's a bunch of albums that came out this year that I thought were last year.

Retard
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
That's something that i always think I should do to. Like there was a bunch of stuff that came out this year that I got rid of, and there's stuff I've bought online(itunes) that I don't know if they came out this year or last year.

Outerspaceman21
01-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I think for 2012 I'm going to be really creepy and weird and keep a spreadsheet of new music I've listened to. There's a bunch of albums that came out this year that I thought were last year.

Yeah, same here. I lost track and thought Bad Religions latest came out this year.

Retard
01-04-2012, 09:05 PM
So it's been kinda harder to pick the definitive album this year, last year was really easy. So in no particular order heres a bunch of records I liked this year.

Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang by Raekwon The Chef
Parting The Sea Between Brightness and Me by Touche Amore
Moscow Penny Ante by Dead To Me
Hotsaucecommitteepart2 by Beastie Boys(Probably my favorite album of 2011)
Safeways Here We Come by Chixdiggit
Weekend At Burnies by Curren$y
Undun by The Roots
Ugly Animals by Retox
Goblin by Tyler, The Creator
The Anarchy and The Ecstasy by The World/inferno Friendship Society

There's a bunch more that came out that I liked by Those were the best. This year was pretty awesome, hopefully this year will be to.

jacknife737
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed Goblin. I'm usually not a huge fan of hip hop, but i "clicked" with it, i guess. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2, was also a lot of fun too.

Every so often the idea of creating a spreadsheet of my music pops into my head, but then it gets derailed by my indecisiveness. I never know how i'd like to structure it. By year? By album? By label? By Genre?

Retard
01-05-2012, 08:32 PM
If I were to do one this year, itll be stuff that was released this year. That's about it. Old stuff I won't worry about.

jobkhoz
01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey guy its really great.

Retard
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Can't believe i forgot Charles Bradley's album again, I keep thinking it came out in 2010. This is why I need to start listing all this shit.

Hairlip
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
sum 41 screaming bloody murder
blink 182 neighborhoods
Theory of a Deadman the truth is...
adelitas way homeschool valedictorian
puddle of mudd rediscovered

Top 5 of 2011

jacknife737
01-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I forgot a couple "Special Mentions".

Red City Radio - The Dangers of Standing Still
The Gateway District - Perfect's Gonna Fail

Neither of these tried to reinvent the wheel or anything, but they were still a lot of fun to listen to.

I think i may acutally do the spreadsheet thing for 2012 releases. Speaking of which, looks like i've got a couple new eps to pick up in the upcoming weeks (Sidekicks, Menzingers)

Retard
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Just DL'd the first single off of the new Ceremony album, fucking rad. It's different from their other stuff but at the same time it sounds like em.
http://store.matadorrecords.com/artists/view/name/ceremony That's the link.

I gotta put Only In Dreams by the Dum Dum Girls in my top ten. Sorry Goblin you're out. Great album, but OID is way better.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
So thanks to Spotify, I've actually listened to quite a lot of new music in 2011. My list is coming but I'm not quite done listening to everything I wanted to- and I want to listen to albums I liked a few more times. I'm just gonna post a few of my general impressions on the year in music here.

First, it's kind of remarkable how many great songs came out this year, yet how few consistently great albums there were. Even on some of my favorite albums from this year, I can't honestly say that I liked all of the songs, or that I want to listen to the whole thing through. Also, I thought it was a pretty good year for punk and a pretty good year for hip-hop, but a pretty shitty year for indie. I've never seen this much parity among Top 10 lists from music websites and blogs- they all have Bon Iver, M83, Fleet Foxes and PJ Harvey at the top. And they pretty much all deserve to be there too. That's a pretty good sign that there weren't that many other good indie albums this year.

My outlook on music changed a little this year. For a while, I would just listen to whatever was rated highly on Metacritic, but I got tired of that pretty quickly. It was sort of like watching 5 James Cameron films in a row- if you don't see some lighthearted, stupid comedy somewhere in between, they just lose their luster. I was really thankful for albums like Frenzal Rhomb's new one, which was one of the most straightforward punk albums I've heard in a long time, and didn't take itself seriously for a minute. I paid less attention to whether people were doing anything new with their albums, because at this point it's pretty much become a game (I'm looking at you, tUnE-yArDs), and more attention to who was writing good songs with good production. I'll post my list in a few days. Also I'm going to include a best songs list with youtube links. Woot.

robinhood005
01-24-2012, 12:05 AM
It was the material of folkish/acoustic en. Hearts Late Pacific is quite a perfect example of a heavy punk; Frank Turner was dangerously close to the character, ' ' as the new love, Ire and as its best song.

RageAndLov
01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
So let's see, were there any good albums in 2011 that caught my attention? I don't think so. David Comes to Life by Fucked Up was boring really. Let's hope 2012 has better things in store for us.

Retard
01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I love that record. In fact I'm gonna listen to it now!

yarock
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Opening the year with Leonard Cohen. Will take a look at what Air's got.

jacknife737
01-27-2012, 10:23 PM
I really liked David Comes to Life. The guitars reminded me something you'd find on a pop-punk record at times, but it managed to stay grounded fairly well in its hardcore roots. My only complaint would be that i think the "choir version" of Queen of Hearts that's heard in the music video is better than the version on the studio album.

RageAndLov
01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
I really liked David Comes to Life. The guitars reminded me something you'd find on a pop-punk record at times, but it managed to stay grounded fairly well in its hardcore roots. My only complaint would be that i think the "choir version" of Queen of Hearts that's heard in the music video is better than the version on the studio album.

I liked Queen of Hearts better on the album. In fact, it's the only great song on the album. The vocals are so dull and monotonous throughout the whole album. It's okay that he shouts/growls, but he basically talks through the songs, with the same iambic metre all the time. In contrast, some SINGING is good to hear on Queen of Hearts, and I like her voice.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Not that anyone gives a fuck anymore but here's my Top 10. Fuck, I ended up listening to a lot of albums.

1. Bon Iver- Bon Iver
2. Gang Gang Dance- Eye Contact
3. Basement- I Wish I Could Stay Here
4. Hyro Da Hero- Birth, School, Work, Death
5. Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
6. PJ Harvey- Let England Shake
7. Astronautalis- This Is Our Science
8. M83- Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
9. St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
10. Saigon- The Greatest Story Never Told
11. Hooray For Earth- True Loves
12. Battles- Gloss Drop
13. Tom Waits- Bad As Me
14. The Naked and Famous- Passive Me, Aggressive You
15. Beastie Boys- Hotsaucecommittee Part II
16. I'm From Barcelona- Forever Today
17. R.E.M.- Collapse Into Now
18. True Widow- As High as the Highest Heavens and from the Core to the Circumference of the Earth
19. Frenzal Rhomb- Smoko at the Pet Food Factory
20. Akron/Family- S/T II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT
21. Panda Bear- Tomboy
22. 311- Universal Pulse (yes, I actually liked it, fuck you)
23. Florence + The Machine- Ceremonials
24. I Am the Avalanche- Avalanche United
25. Foo Fighters- Wasting Light

Oops, that was more than 10. Oh well. There were a couple of other albums that I thought were really well-put together, but just weren't my thing (Destroyer, Decemberists, and some electronic stuff like The Field). I have a lot of generic, hipster-y albums in my top 10, but like I said, there just wasn't a lot of competition in the top tier. I will say that as I listened to more albums and re-listened to some others, my opinion on 2011 really improved. For instance, I didn't like Let England Shake or Helplessness Blues that much on first listen, but now I love 'em. I also got around to listening to a little more punk and hardcore in the past couple of weeks, which introduced me to that amazing Basement album, among others.

Of the hip-hop albums I included, Saigon is definitely the most typical "rapper" there, and he does have some annoying skit things on his album but the standout tracks are so, so very good that I had to rate it pretty highly. I also think it's really cohesive. Hyro Da Hero is awesome too. It's rock-driven rap (former Blood Brothers members Cody Votolato and Mark Gajadhar are in his band), but the emphasis is on the rap. And I agree with coke- Astronautalis is the shit.

True Widow's album just sounds gorgeous. FLAWLESS production. I wanted to rate it higher, but I just can't have that much respect for them as musicians or songwriters when they pretty much play slow 4/4 stonegaze that sounds like it was all written during jam sessions.

And seriously, that 311 album is a pretty fun listen.

Biggest disappointments?

Social Distortion- Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes
Mutemath- Odd Soul
Common- The Dreamer, The Believer
The Roots- Undun (I love the first 4 tracks or so. And then the second third depresses me, and the final third bores me.)
Man Man- Life Fantastic (only slightly, though. I dig a lot of the songs just fine, but it sounds all polished and echoey in a way really unbecoming of their sound)
Title Fight- Shed
tUnE-yArDs- w h o k i l l

I guess Title Fight and Tuneyards I consider more overrated than disappointing, since I personally had no expectations, but people hyped the hell out of them and I was just kinda "meh."

EDIT: I moved Basement all the way up to #3. FUCK, that's a good album, and I haven't really been grabbed by anything in that genre in years. Also, I realized that I'd rather have Saigon in the Top 10 that Hooray for Earth even though I initially had HFE ranked ahead of him.