PDA

View Full Version : Yes, we know its christmas - African Musicians

wheelchairman
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM
So I'm overcoming my distaste of touch screen typing to share with all of you my favorite article so far this holiday season. Fuck Bono.

http://www.hayibo.com/yes-we-know-its-christmas-say-african-musicians-as-they-finally-record-a-response-to-band-aid/

personal_loans_1
12-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't heard 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' - should I? Or I've heard but I didn't know the title? Touch screen sucks.
edit:Ah, this is it. Lyrics indeed charming. Deeply moved.

A propos Africa, this is one of the best lectures on ted.com I've seen in a while: http://www.ted.com/talks/kwabena_boahen_on_a_computer_that_works_like_the_b rain.html

Static_Martyr
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Gundane said he hoped that his involvement with the song would turn him into an expert on British politics and economics in the same way ‘Do they know it’s Christmas’ had turned Geldof and Bono into the world’s leading experts on Africa.

“If I’m not sharing a platform with the Queen and David Cameron by this time next year; or headlining at Glastonbury, then I will have done something very wrong,” said Gundane.

Amusing :D

wheelchairman
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I also enjoyed the part about dIscipline, contraception and literacy.

Llamas
12-22-2011, 07:19 PM
That song always bugged the heck out of me. It's depressing, out of touch, insulting, and elitist.

I love giving the big F U to Bono, but he was only one of many, many participants in that song... bigger F U to the writers. Love this article, though.

wheelchairman
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I also hate that song that goes "i realized its christmas all around the world."

No its not asshole.

Llamas
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
The worst line in Do They Know it's Christmas: "Thank god it's them instead of you". Are you kidding me? No, seriously. How emotionally insensitive can a Christmas song be? "Thank God those people are suffering and I'm sipping my champagne and celebrating the religion of money!"

wheelchairman
12-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I think its actually meant less literally and far more patronizing. As in "donate money you over-privileged western shit, don't you feel guilty?".

From a popstar thats pretty rich.

mrconeman
12-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Yeah, there's scores of discussions about that line and how it's meant. There was a huge hoopla about it at the time, and during the retarded remake of that song a few years ago. It's meant how Per describes it, so it's not as insensitive as it seems. It's still retarded though.

Fuck Bono.

Thomas
12-23-2011, 08:37 AM
It seems like every reason I read about him, I have a new reason to dislike Bono. Also, this article is so awesome, it looks like something you would only see on the Onion. I'm totally stealing this for Christmas.

mario_spaghettio
12-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The original song was written to raise money for the famine in Ethiopia. I doubt most of the starving Ethiopians sitting in a pool of feces with flies landing on their bony heads knew it was Christmas. These South African musicians need to get off their high horse. And yeah, Fuck Bono.

Little_Miss_1565
12-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I also doubt many of them cared it was Christmas, considering that not everyone in Ethiopia is Christian.

Bono is wholly unable to help Africa without framing it as quasi-neocolonialism. His goals are self-aggrandizement, not saving the world. Even his new Feed the Future program is basically a scam that doesn't actually feed any famine-affected Africans.

personal_loans_1
12-24-2011, 06:37 AM
It's so ignorant, so if that insults anyone then those who sing this. 100% SouthParkish, btw.

"Thank God it's them instead of you" - gold...

Offspring-Junkie
12-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Here's a christmas song for you guys, it's a little old, but still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cglLJJ0Czo8&ob=av2e

I almost forgot: Bono is a douchebag.

I did no research, I just repeat older posts in this thread 'cause I'm a trendy.