PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I just realized that no one here has started a thread about New Year's resolutions. They do that around the world, right?
If they don't, it's basically where you pick a good habit to try to continue through the entire new year (2012). I'm sure everyone knew that though.

So do you guys have any plans?

Llamas
01-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Resolutions are basically a US and Canada thing. I've never done them because I figure, why should I wait til Jan 1st? If I wanna change something, I change it immediately. I don't really get the celebration of a new year... never have, probably never will. But I still go out with friends while I'm confused.

mrconeman
01-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Resolutions are basically a US and Canada thing.

Eh...no. Definitely not.

In saying that though, it's a stupid custom, I've never had any.

Tijs
01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
It happens all over the world as far as I know. In The Netherlands is always a popular subject.
I've never done them because I figure, why should I wait til Jan 1st? If I wanna change something, I change it immediatelyI feel the same, however, January 1st is an easy way to look back on the past year and see what you did. You can also use it as an ultimatum for your self. That's why so many people choose this particular date. More logically, if anything, it should be ones birthday. But then we can't all discuss it at the same time.

My resolutions would be to finish my studies, finish all the projects I'm doing. Get my self a job with a future and move out to live on my own again. Though I started with this a few months ago and so far I'm doing quite okay I think.

Llamas
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of the ball drop/kissing at midnight thing. Resolutions are in quite a few westernized countries.

Jan 1st is totally arbitrary as the start of a new year, though... you can look back on the last year at any time. Why did we all agree to Jan 1st?

A birthday would actually make more sense, because we'd all be reminded throughout the year. Someone has a birthday, and people ask what their resolutions are... and then they're reminded of their own. Seems like there'd be more success that way.

mrconeman
01-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of the ball drop/kissing at midnight thing.

Not a North American exclusive thing either though. :p

Llamas
01-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Not a North American exclusive thing either though. :p

Really?? I've never encountered either anywhere outside the US, and I've been given confused looks when talking about it. I'm gonna have to research these traditions :)

Wait a minute... the ball drop definitely originated in NYC, and I doubt any other countries really celebrate together around the US ball drop...

Sounds correct about the kissing at midnight thing, though... but I've still never seen it outside the US. Odd.

mrconeman
01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Balldrop I meant to edit out, so much so infact that I didn't actually know what the balldrop was. :). My sentence doesn't make sense as it is there referencing two things, oh well.

Kissing at midnight though is definitely a pretty well known thing.

Llamas
01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
It's okay, we got it all sorted out. Point is, New Years Resolutions are dumb. :)

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-01-2012, 08:42 PM
It's okay, we got it all sorted out. Point is, New Years Resolutions are dumb. :)

Sorry for starting the thread then :). Personally, I do not have any resolutions. I just wanted to see what you guys would say.

Outerspaceman21
01-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I want to start playing my guitar again. World of Warcraft really destroyed my motivations to do anything for myself, so I gave up on all my music and writing. I want to get back into it since I've quit WoW for good.

WebDudette
01-02-2012, 03:18 AM
llamas, you can't honestly tell me you do not understand why people choose January 1st to make resolutions. it's human nature to do shit like that.

samseby
01-02-2012, 04:51 AM
http://cdnet.myxer.com/tn/c/1476921/big/?t=20081222170452:p

But seriously:
I plan to eat less meat and less convenience food - probably won't help but can't be that wrong either. So far it's actually working quite good ;)

Llamas
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
llamas, you can't honestly tell me you do not understand why people choose January 1st to make resolutions. it's human nature to do shit like that.

Sure, I understand how it came about and the objective reasons people say "oh it's Jan 1, I should come up with my resolutions now!" but *I* personally can't understand doing it or finding interest in it. It's like people playing WoW and stuff; I objectively understand why people play those games, but I personally can't wrap my head around it and wouldn't be able to give myself a good reason to do it. Because to me, it's silly. Everyone feels that way about various things.

Rag Doll
01-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I've never really had a new years resolution, I guess. I more have.....wishes for the new year. Like, stuff that I can't really do very much about, I guess. Like, I'd really like to get engaged in 2012, but I can't really do aning about that. I'd like to be able to move out and get a better job, but again, that kind f depends on the economy...and moving out depends on how much my student loan bills are too. I joined a gym but I don't really have a specific thing I'd like to achieve there and I've been going for several weeks already, so it didn't really have anything to do with the new year.....just a waved registration fee promo.

Little_Miss_1565
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
My 2011 was pretty radically life-altering, mostly for the better. So for 2012 I hope to keep doing awesome things so my life becomes even more awesome.

Harleyquiiinn
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Mine is more of an objective than a resolution. I plan on working on my own and start developing my own law firm. That basically means working harder so I guess that counts as a resolution...

Rooster
01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
My resolution is 1280 1024. Moving on...

BagOfShenanigans
01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
"My new years resolution is to drink as much, if not more than last year."
-Noodles