PDA

View Full Version : Mvp?

Al Coholic
01-02-2012, 06:02 PM
This is the official voting for the 2011 NFL regular season's most valuable player.

Choose wisely, as your vote wil be cemented in history.

Officially.

Forever.

This counts.

dff_punk
01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Here in Slovakia, MVP is an acronym for "Mám v piči" which can be loosely translated into "I don't fucking care" ... just sayin'. I have no opinion on sports and stuff.

Llamas
01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Here in Slovakia, MVP is an acronym for "Mám v piči" which can be loosely translated into "I don't fucking care" ... just sayin'. I have no opinion on sports and stuff.

Lol, directly translated, isn't that, "I have in cunt"? :D

And since you don't care, vote for Aaron Rodgers. Cause it's important for mankind. Especially babies and puppies.

Edit:

It's a very close call for me between Rodgers and Brees, honestly. Brady is out of it. He hasn't played nearly as well this year, and I do think his age is showing. The Pats are very good, but not as much because of Brady as the Pack and Saints have been held up by their qbs. Brees has thrown for way more yards than Rodgers, and breaking the record was cool (though it is much easier these days to break that kind of a record than it was when Marino got it... this record will be broken again next year). I think the Saints rely on Brees more than the Pack relies on Rodgers - Flynn proved that. However, Rodgers has played less than Brees this year, yet thrown for more TDs and fewer INTs. I guess this comes down to my bias of being a Packer fan, because otherwise I truly couldn't choose between the two of them.

In all reality, Peyton Manning deserves MVP, even without having played a single game this year - if we take Most Valuable Player literally (which it rarely is). He's proven that he is more valuable to his team than any other player in the NFL. That was a team built around one player.

Al Coholic
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
if we take Most Valuable Player literally (which it rarely is).

If we take it literally than Brady may well deserve the title. A lot of the focus Brees has gotten has been because he broke the Marino record. You know that Brady broke it this year as well, right?

But what it really comes down to is Brady's shitty supporting cast. Rodgers is working with so much more in Green Bay. Brady's got a great duo of tight ends, but after Welker he hasn't any Wide recievers. Seriously, Deion Branch and Ochocinco are all that's left. The running game's ok, but that's literally only because Brady's throwing. And their defense is one of the league's worst.

Take Brady out of New England, and that team is right with Indy at the bottom of the league. Take Rodgers out of Green Bay, and I think they can still win 10-12 games. Brady has willed his team into the first seed in the AFC. Yes, he's thrown a few more picks and a few less TD's than Rodgers, but I don't see that as a sign of age. This is Most Valuable Player, not Most Impressive. No one player (who actually played) was more valuable to their team this year than Brady.

Al Coholic
01-03-2012, 10:10 AM
and then to further confuse things:

Brees destroyed Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record. He also broke NFL records for completions in a season and completion percentage in a season. These things make it easy to argue that Drew Brees' 2011-2012 regular season was the best season that a quarterback has ever had. And if it's the best season any quarterback has ever had, surely it merits this season's MVP award.

The points to be made in arguing for Brees over Rodgers:

• Brees had significantly more passing yardage than Rodgers: 833 yards on the season.

• Brees also had more completions, more attempts, threw for more first downs, and had more completions for 20 yards or more.

• Completion percentages: Brees, 71.2 percent; Rodgers, 68.3%.

• You could argue that Rodgers is blessed with a better supporting cast. His team had the better record, after all, and the Packers have the best wide receivers in the league. Brees has pretty good weapons, too, but if you wanted to, there's a supporting cast argument to be made.

• Along those same lines, the argument emerged yesterday that since Matt Flynn was able to be so successful for the Packers, Aaron Rodgers must be a "system quarterback", racking up huge numbers only because of the offensive scheme and players around him. You could make this argument, too, if you're into making really, really silly arguments.

JohnnyNemesis
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM
^^All great points.

I'm sick of hearing about Peyton Manning being so valuable...not that he isn't, but there's more to what happened in Indianapolis than just his absence. There's really no fucking excuse for the shitty season they had.

Llamas
01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
If we take it literally than Brady may well deserve the title. A lot of the focus Brees has gotten has been because he broke the Marino record. You know that Brady broke it this year as well, right?
I knew he was going for it, but I didn't check to see if he broke it. As I said already

(though it is much easier these days to break that kind of a record than it was when Marino got it... this record will be broken again next year)
Obviously I wasn't qualifying Brees just cause of that record.

But what it really comes down to is Brady's shitty supporting cast. Rodgers is working with so much more in Green Bay. Brady's got a great duo of tight ends, but after Welker he hasn't any Wide recievers. Seriously, Deion Branch and Ochocinco are all that's left.

Okay. So Hernandez, Gronkowski (one of the very top TE's in the entire league this year), Welker, and Branch aren't enough? I wouldn't put Ocho on the same level as those other four, so we'll leave him out.

I keep hearing about how many targets Rodgers has... Rodgers definitely has more wide receivers that can be switched in (people always say it like he has all these guys on the field at once...), but his only real star receivers are Jennings and Nelson, who just about balance Welker and Gronkowski.

The Pats also have a better offensive line and a better running game (Pack is #27 for rushing, Pats are #20. The Saints are #6, so there's a fair argument against Brees). I'd take Woodhead and Green-Ellis any day over Grant or Starks...

Hmm, Brees' targets? Okay, his TE's aren't nearly as good as Brady's (Finley can't compete with those two, either, and our other TE's are considerably worse than Finley). There are 2 star receivers, plus several other really great targets - Moore and Colston are fantastic, and Graham is up there, even if not nearly as good as Gronkowski. Henderson and Meachem are as good as a couple of the Packers' receivers that aren't Nelson and Jennings. That gives Brees 3 awesome targets, which is fewer than Brady, but more than Rodgers.

The running game's ok, but that's literally only because Brady's throwing. And their defense is one of the league's worst.
This very same argument can be used for the Packers, but our running game is ranked lower than the Pats', as is our defense.

Honestly, your post has only caused me to lean more toward Rodgers here. Yep, Brees has the best supporting cast of the three for sure. The Saints have a better defense, far better running game, and 3 star receivers. So sure, I'd agree that he shouldn't be MVP. But Brady does not have worse support than Rodgers...

RageAndLov
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Who are these people? Handeggers?

Llamas
01-03-2012, 08:05 PM
They're American football quarterbacks.

RageAndLov
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
They're American football quarterbacks.

I was correct then!

Llamas
01-03-2012, 08:30 PM
You're trying too hard.

Al Coholic
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Matt Flynn. In one game, that meant a lot to the lions and nothing to the Packers:
31/44
480 yards(franchis record)
6 TD's (franchise record) 1 pick
QBR 136.4

The Packers have a better supporting cast. I'm not saying this takes away from Rodgers percieved ability (though one could make that argument). But this takes so much away from his VALUE. He is not as VALUEABLE to the Packers as Tom Brady is to the Patriots. Tom Brady has the most VALUE to his team. More so than Rodgers, or Brees.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of them win. But I'm definately leaning toward a Brady/Brees MVP with Aaron Rodgers as the OPY.