PDA

View Full Version : The Sick, Sad Dreams of the Unevolved.

T-6005
01-06-2012, 12:26 AM
There are a few things I've always wished I could do. I want to write good music, do good research, and write well. These are all dreams that I feel are somehow reachable within my lifetime.

In a parallel vein, I've always wanted to sing well, perform music live for an audience, and somehow sell my talent and charm for money. These are strangely proximal pipe dreams that I can look at, can even twist and zoom in on to validate their worth, but know that I would most likely never follow.

Small dreams cling to my footsteps as well – I want to finish editing my first book, get my Masters degree, run a marathon in under three and a half hours. These are dreams I can see in my life, see my way to making, dreams that I know in my are within the limited pool of willpower I have at my disposal.

And that's what's strange about it. The very idea of what is and isn't within my reach has been warped and shaped by the life I've led and the things I've experienced. I've had surgery, I've broken bones, I've run across the finish line and fallen down. I've looked at something I've written and known that someone else could read it and understand the odd diction, the weird syntax that I prefer – and more than that, get something out of some stranger's words on a page. I've written a whole book in a strange spurt of creativity and looked at the finished product printed out for no other purpose than vanity.

My small dreams hang like hooks from the goals I want to reach within my lifetime, but there remains an undefinable, distant category of dream that I watch recede.

yarock
01-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Dreams, desires, or whatever you call it- there are times that I feel so indolent and suspended and empty, even the things within reach which would so so content me- somehow I choose not to involve. I wouldn't wanna be an individual who praise self about pride nor I wouldn't want people I'm close to think that pride is one of my prominent virtues. If it would make me happy and satisfied I wouldn't mind going down the drain but my dalliance handicaps me. To obviate this I try to do the better thing to do but again the times I see the right and yet I choose slackness are not to be brushed aside.

Baldwin
01-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I always dreamed about fighting a gun-kata battle with ten terrorists at once, and winning, and saving their supermodel hostage who rewards me by letting me touch her boobies whenever I want.

Your goals are kind of lame and uninspired, when I compare them.

T-6005
01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Eh, you know. Once you've done that once it really loses its luster.

bighead384
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah, that is interesting. Choosing not to pursue a dream seems to be based on that dream not being attainable, or of less value to you than pursuing another dream. But then, some dreams are more valuable because they are less attainable, since things that are harder to achieve get more recognition.

Yeah, I dunno. The judgments involved in whether or not to pursue a dream involve factors with huge amounts of grey area. To be honest, I don't know if it can be explained any further than that.

This thread has me thinking about my own dreams. What lead me to decide that the dreams I want to pursue are the most ideal? I sort of don't remember. It's almost more of a "I can see myself doing this" type of thing.