PDA

View Full Version : Which Offspring Guitar Solo does the best for that song?

bighead384
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
You know, not just the best one.

GamerKT
01-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Which song?

randman21
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I guess "does the best for its song" would have worked better, but I understood. This is a tough question because their solos almost always just "get in and get out," so to speak. Never too long or self-indulgent, and that tends to lend itself to what you're talking about.

I'd say Nothing from Something, Forever and a Day, and I Choose.

Llamas
01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm a huge advocate of progress and change, and I don't wish for the Offspring release Smash II or Ignition II, but solos are one bit of the past that I wish they hadn't let go of. Self Titled and Ignition had some nice ones. And I do agree with Randman - and that's the beauty of their solos. In and out, serve their purpose.

Outerspaceman21
01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
That reminds me of Brian Baker and Greg Hetson's 10 commandments for punk guitar, one of which was "Don't be self-indulgent. Limit your guitar solos to eight bars or less. Otherwise, you're playing metal."

I honestly admire that mindset, not because it's the "punk thing to do", but for guitar solos, there is a fine line between making good music and just plain showing off. Sometimes it works, but other times it's a bit over the top and can ruin a song for me. That's what I like about Offspring's music, especially their early work. It really worked well.

also, inb4 solo from Lightning Rod thread. I have a feeling that's gonna be referenced somewhere.

ygokazuki
01-12-2012, 01:50 AM
^I love Bad Religion more than many things, and I dig that punk guitar philosophy...but god, there are some (imo) really bad guitar solos in Bad Religion songs. like Sorrow...the first time I heard that song I was in love. then I got to the solo, the guitarist sounded like he wasn't sure where to go, it sounds like a nervous 7th grader's jazz band solo. okay, ranting.

anyway, I really like the "solo" in Trust in You, after the bridge and whatnot. segues so energetically back into the last chorus.

randman21
01-12-2012, 05:03 AM
^Aaaand where the hell've you been?

ygokazuki
01-12-2012, 09:55 AM
ahhhh someone remembers me, i feel so warm and fuzzy! i guess i got bored of the offspring for a little. consider this (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45285) my re-entry to the fray. haha

BagOfShenanigans
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Okay, okay, it's not an album version, but the solo in this video kicked ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwqxyaJKRY

If it has to be an album version, I say Nothingtown.

mrconeman
01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
While the Kids Aren't Alright is one of their most guitar-centric songs, and everyone is probably going to cite that, the guitar solo answers what the thread asks for, it does the most for the song, more so than any of their other guitar solos. With Million Miles Away, and What Happened to You following closely behind. None of them are particularly brilliant solos, but they do the most to serve and forward the direction of the song, not just "Noodle" notes.

Their early two albums have the best guitar work, in terms of, Noodles ability on the guitar, but they serve the song a lot less, more so they are exactly that, Noodles showing his guitaring ability. The solos on the first album especially though, show also his lack of guitaring ability, because while they are technically his best solos, they also sound like they strain his ability to its peak and they start to sound sloppy as he struggles to play them. He became a cleaner player by the time he played something like I Choose, though not very challenging.

Outerspaceman21
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I probably should list my favorites. Well, (Can't Get My) Head Around You, Nothingtown, and Nothing From Something are ones that come immediately to mind that I enjoy.

ad8
01-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Nothing From Something has a very simple, but very fitting solo. Other than that, I really like Trust In You for that solo.

NotTheOne_NL
01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the solo of What happened to you fits in very well, it's not a over the top one

bighead384
01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I probably should list my favorites. Well, (Can't Get My) Head Around You

Pretty sure (Can't Get My) Head Around You's "Solo" is just power chords or maybe octaves with a wah pedal. That doesn't really count.

WHTY's solo is great. It's makes the rest of the song seem fresh again. That's what a good solo should do. Also, it's just very satisfying melodically.

TIY's solo leads back into the chorus the best.

I like the I Choose solo because there's a bridge part following the solo for which Noodles continues to solo over.

Coneman, I think all the solos on the S/T rock. You might be right that it kind of strains Noodles ability, but as far as songwriting goes, they are great solos. I don't have a criticism of any of those solos.

like Sorrow...the first time I heard that song I was in love. then I got to the solo, the guitarist sounded like he wasn't sure where to go, it sounds like a nervous 7th grader's jazz band solo.
I swear like a few months or so ago, I just felt like critically anlyzing that solo. And I came to almost the exact same conclusion. I couldn't even tell you what kind of sound he's going for with that solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Hb4bxF12E&ob=av2e

KTILLA23
01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
My favorite guitar solo i would say is the I'll be waiting solos or the Kill the President solo, but like somebody else said, all the solos on the S/T album rock!! I also like the Trust in you solo too.

sneedo83
01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I think the solo of What happened to you fits in very well, it's not a over the top one

You are correct, that is the best one.

GamerKT
01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Intro to Change the World. It's fucking great.

Defender
01-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Best guitar-solos for me: From the album "The Offspring" all of them, L.A.P.D.,Genocide,What happened to you,Change the world,the kids aren't allright,head around you,hammerhead,trust in you and I also like the guitar in "It'll be a long time," "cool to hate",million miles away and in other tracks as O.C. life,Defy you,D.U.I. I am sure I 've forgotten many more!

PunksKillEmos
01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I Choose's solo is down right groovy!!!

BagOfShenanigans
01-28-2012, 06:45 AM
I Choose's solo is down right groovy!!!

He's right, you know.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee406/Michael_Warner_Jr/noodles.gif

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
01-28-2012, 03:06 PM
I really like the re-occurring mini solos in "Demons"

Silver
01-29-2012, 04:24 AM
I love the guitar solo in "The Kids Aren't Alright" I think it makes the song, personally :)