PDA

View Full Version : He Should Have Dove

bighead384
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmoq6pUfIY

I've talked to two different people and apparently I'm the only one that thinks that the Steelers defender should have dove around the 9 yard line to stop this TD. I figured I'd post here, where everyone always agrees with me.

Llamas
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
What are you talking about? Broncos defender?

randman21
01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Naw. It takes precious time to set yourself up for a dive, and even then, I don't think diving is faster than running once you've already reached your top speed. It would be much like just falling down.

Llamas
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Naw. It takes precious time to set yourself up for a dive, and even then, I don't think diving is faster than running once you've already reached your top speed. It would be much like just falling down.

Oh, did he mean Thomas? I don't get why he would've dove... he got the TD anyway...?

Edit: He meant Mundy... never mind. Can't tell what was going on in his head. He might not have had the right angle to feel confident he'd get a tackle if he dove. Looked like Thomas reached back with his left arm to push him away, which could've messed with intentions of diving. Who knows.

bighead384
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
My position is that there's no denying that it would be difficult to dive and trip him, but just reaching out like that had no chance of working whatsoever. If the season is on the line, as long as there's a chance to make something happen, you should do it. Diving probably had about a 5-10% chance of working, if I had to guess. That warrants an attempt.

Llamas
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
My position is that there's no denying that it would be difficult to dive and trip him, but just reaching out like that had no chance of working whatsoever. If the season is on the line, as long as there's a chance to make something happen, you should do it. Diving probably had about a 5-10% chance of working, if I had to guess. That warrants an attempt.

Looked like Thomas reached back with his left arm to push him away, which could've messed with intentions of diving.

Stiff arming a guy can totally foil his attempts to dive at you.

bighead384
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Stiff arming a guy can totally foil his attempts to dive at you.
That's a poor explanation for why he didn't dive. You can't prevent someone from diving at you from behind with a stiff arm. The only reason the Broncos player was able to put his arm into to the defender the slightest bit was because he approached him at a relatively bad angle.

adombomb222
01-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I am surprised that the Broncos even won... I may be from Denver and all, but I do not like them very much, and I donít think they deserve to be in the play-offs. And Tebow is a retard; I really donít understand how Denver always gets the overly eccentric players.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
At the 9? Nah. It was a lost cause by then. Thomas would have just about crossed the end zone by the time he could spring himself forward.

#24's failed tackle attempt on the Broncos' 45 led to that score. He was the best man to make that play and trying to tackle really slowed him down, so #29- the next best guy to make the play- had to pick up the slack. If 24 had backed off at that moment and angled his run more downfield, then he could have slowed Thomas down by forcing him to change direction, and 29 or Polamalu might have been able to catch up to Thomas from behind.

personal_loans_1
01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I somehow hoped you're talking about Wipe Out and this link will be something related to it. However plebeian it was, I miss it. Rarely, but still. 'Aww, my balls' of my times. Bu.:(