PDA

View Full Version : Signatures

Da Hui
01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Please can we shorten peoples signatures? I like signatures and I think they serve a purpose so I don't want to get rid of them, but an example of what annoys me is Jojan's signature. It's massive. Please can we keep the sigs but put a limit on how big they can be.. 5 lines?

thanks

BagOfShenanigans
01-17-2012, 07:22 AM
I was kinda hoping people would shorten them at their own discretion...

I think your sig should be no bigger than your average post.

personal_loans_1
01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
You don't see a lot of them these days, and there's no big rush, so it's unnecessary limitation. Jojan's one used to annoy me too, but I adapted. I even think it's kind of magnificent now.

Anyway, it's all very wishful thinking, see: avatars.

Jojan
01-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Just disable them if you have complaints. User CP, then Edit Options and in Thread Display Options, disable signatures. :-) That is what I did.

Little_Miss_1565
01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
We've generally allowed people to self-police their signatures, but in some instances, I or another moderator have intervened to shorten sigs. Not saying, just saying...

Llamas
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I think your sig should be no bigger than your average post.

So Thibault's should be no bigger than two page scrolls... :P

Da Hui
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Just disable them if you have complaints. User CP, then Edit Options and in Thread Display Options, disable signatures. :-) That is what I did.

i dont want to get rid of signatures if they are of reasonable length and don't make scrolling down the page a bore.. sorry to use you as an example again but in the offspring re-recording an old song thred you posted about 5 times in a row and i fell asleep while scrolling down the page.

can we get some sort of limit without harming peoples freedom too much.. 10 lines?

Jojan
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
i dont want to get rid of signatures if they are of reasonable length and don't make scrolling down the page a bore..

But you cannot have both. I think that if you block a person, its signature will not show either. :-)

can we get some sort of limit without harming peoples freedom too much.. 10 lines?

Well, how would that be implemented? Currently,you have a character limit, but you can, as some have, make the most out of those. Are ten quote-tags ten lines? I only have eight. You can write them all in a row. Is that one line?

Tijs
01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
How about assigning a class to the <div> the signature is in and then .sig {max-height:100px;overflow-y:auto;}?
That's the lazy way of course.

Another way is to re-format inputted text. So putting everything on one line doesn't matter anymore. Then set a maximum of /n and /r, quotes, images and/or its size. Stuff like that.

Or, even better, do as Jojan and I did: disable signatures.

BagOfShenanigans
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
That all sounds very complicated, I'm just gonna disable them...

Tijs
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
That all sounds very complicated, I'm just gonna disable them...Well yeah, the last option was just for you. The other ones were for the admins.

Da Hui
01-19-2012, 02:59 AM
why do some people who have blocked signatures insist of having such long signatures themselves..? :(

Da Hui
01-19-2012, 03:11 AM
But you cannot have both. I think that if you block a person, its signature will not show either. :-)

Well, how would that be implemented? Currently,you have a character limit, but you can, as some have, make the most out of those. Are ten quote-tags ten lines? I only have eight. You can write them all in a row. Is that one line?

i mean like actual lines. ten physical lines, if 2 lines are taken up to put a quote inbetween then a quote would be 3 lines out of your 10. is that doable?
why does everyone feel the need to have lame quotes by a bunch of nobodies anyway?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I like Jojan's signature. I actually read most people's signatures and enjoy them. Sometimes it's more interesting than the actual thread

Jojan
02-05-2012, 05:22 AM
I like Jojan.

That's what I read.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
That's what I read.

Yeah I expected as much as that. So is that going to join the compilation of compliments in your signature?

Jojan
02-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah I expected as much as that. So is that going to join the compilation of compliments in your signature?

I thought that I did not have any more space, but seems now like I do.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
That's just excellent (slightly sarcastic)
I really appreciate the honor though (not sarcastic)