PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to hell?

bighead384
02-02-2012, 10:04 AM
According to the Christian religion, would you go to hell if you were killed on your way to committing suicide?

Or what if you accidentally shot and killed yourself right before you carried out your plan to shoot yourself and commit suicide?

yarock
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Can god create a rock so massive that he can't lift? If you say yes then the answer of your question is no.

personal_loans_1
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
God loves you so much that he kills you before you do, so you won't go to hell?

bighead384
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Can god create a rock so massive that he can't lift? If you say yes then the answer of your question is no.

Well, I would say that maybe God COULD achieve this. Because: God's first objective is to create a rock that is so heavy that he can't lift it. So he has a rock that weighs "x" in mind (with "x" being a weight that is to heavy for him to lift). So then he creates the rock and it's sitting there, existing. Objective #1 is completed. But then, since he's God, he just uses his God power to become stronger. So then he lifts the rock. Bam. Objective #2 is complete.

I wrote all this, but I'm not convinced it makes any sense.

T-6005
02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Well, I would say that maybe God COULD achieve this. Because: God's first objective is to create a rock that is so heavy that he can't lift it. So he has a rock that weighs "x" in mind (with "x" being a weight that is to heavy for him to lift). So then he creates the rock and it's sitting there, existing. Objective #1 is completed. But then, since he's God, he just uses his God power to become stronger. So then he lifts the rock. Bam. Objective #2 is complete.

I wrote all this, but I'm not convinced it makes any sense.

Because you wrote this, somewhere in the nebulous, inchoate corners of the internet, a video has just come into being. The 47 second clip depicts a sweaty, ashen-faced deity running up a hill.

It is set to the Rocky theme.

0r4ng3
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Aw dang, I saw the thread title and I figured it was closer to "If you had the chance to do so, would you willingly go to hell?" I guess to party and stuff.

I don't know why I thought this, and I don't know if that would make for good discussion on its own.

Isolated Fury
02-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Aw dang, I saw the thread title and I figured it was closer to "If you had the chance to do so, would you willingly go to hell?" I guess to party and stuff.

I don't know why I thought this, and I don't know if that would make for good discussion on its own.
I wholeheartedly endorse this idea. I'll go first.

Uhh... Yeah. I mean, as long as it was only a visit, why wouldn't you? You'd see once-in-a-lifetime kind of things. You'd get the opportunity to face all of those pesky fears you've been avoiding for so many years. Honestly, I think it would make you a better person. Life perspectives and new self betterment goals and shit.

BagOfShenanigans
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
In legal terms: If a man sets out to commit suicide, and ultimately succeeds (although the mechanism might not be what he/she intended), it is considered suicide. Assuming that no other subject was involved.

bighead384
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
In legal terms: If a man sets out to commit suicide, and ultimately succeeds (although the mechanism might not be what he/she intended), it is considered suicide. Assuming that no other subject was involved.

I guess this is the best you can do as far as legally defining it as far as intent goes. But, there are many cases where a person who is ready to jump off a bridge, or building, or shoot themselves with a gun and they change their mind, even though they've partially acted on their intent by putting themselves in that situation.

It's like the pedophiles in To Catch A Predator. THEY MIGHT HAVE CHANGED THEIR MIND!!!!

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-03-2012, 06:36 PM

The question is logically flawed. It makes no sense. It's absurd. There's many ways to say that it's a very poor atheist argument. Most thinking atheists would agree and feel embarrassed about the existence of that argument. I'm sure you meant it as a joke though.
The "dilemma" is pitting God's (assuming we're talking about the Christian god, which is one being) ability against his own ability. As an analogy, it would be like saying I am the almost the fastest runner in the world, but am not the absolute fastest because I still can't run faster than myself, so there is one person who can run faster than me.
Or so you can demonstrate right where you're sitting, have a contest to see if your right hand is stronger than your left (and vise versa) by pushing your palms together and trying to devote all your attention and strength to both of your arms at the same time. Try to push one hand back while being fully defensive with the other. This analogy isn't as accurate but I think it demonstrates my point.
The argument of challenging God's greatness by testing if he is greater than himself, is absurd as it sounds.

And for the main question of this thread, NO, I would absolutely not want to go to Hell for a second. If you think about it, you wouldn't want to either.

killer_queen
02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
All of the Christians are going to hell anyway, there's no need to discuss this.

Isolated Fury
02-07-2012, 07:18 PM
All of the Christians are going to hell anyway, there's no need to discuss this.
This is gold.

Baldwin
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Bighead, yes on both counts ; The intention of sinning is equal to the execution, as far as divine retribution goes (codified into dogma at the Council of Trent, with supporting passages in the Bible too numerous to list). Since unrepented suicide is hellworthy, and being killed while in the process of going out to commit suicide means there's no chance whatsoever you could have repented, you go to hell.

This took me less than half a minute of googling to find out. If you had anything close to resembling a working fucking brain you'd have recognised that this is an easily answerable fucking question, and not some clever riddle for people to puzzle over. And if you weren't trying to make a clever riddle for people to puzzle over but genuinely wanted to know, you could have figured it out yourself in less time that in took you to post your shitty thread.

bighead384
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Bighead, yes on both counts ; The intention of sinning is equal to the execution, as far as divine retribution goes (codified into dogma at the Council of Trent, with supporting passages in the Bible too numerous to list). Since unrepented suicide is hellworthy, and being killed while in the process of going out to commit suicide means there's no chance whatsoever you could have repented, you go to hell.
There are many documented cases of people who initiate the process of a suicide attempt (i.e. hold the gun to their head and change their mind, prepare to jump off a bridge only to change their mind and be rescued). So while some of the intent is there, it's not really a sin until they have completed the deed.

Baldwin
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
http://www.twotlj.org/G-1-15-E.html

Again, 30 seconds of googling.

bighead384
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Fine, but it's it's not always easy to decide what a good starting point is for such a damned obscure question. Since you jerk off to religious philosophy and history, you already knew that "sins of thought" (and subsequently failing to repent) was the most relevant moral concept, which I didn't.

Baldwin
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
The issue is repentance. Those countless murderers all repented. If you get hit by a bus with sin in your heart, there's no chance to repent.

Although, on further thought there might be a little wiggle-room in bighead's original query. If we're going by a Christian dogma that doesn't emphasise confession (protestants and the like) then committing or planning to commit suicide despite being truly and sincerely sorry for it might get you a free pass, since you're repentant even as you commit the sin.

But as killerqueen said, all heathens go to hell anyway. Allahu akhbar.

fell-destroyed
02-13-2012, 09:24 PM
I kind of thought after reading the topic "Would you go to hell?" that it was asking me, if I believed in hell, considering all the things I've done in my life, do I believe that I would go to hell when I die. I say, most probably. While I believe I've done most things for the right reasons, they probably weren't God's first choice of things to do, but whatever, guy...

BagOfShenanigans
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I find it asinine that an invisible, yet omnipresent being has the right to judge every little thing that I do. Can't I just die? Why does he feel the need to place me in some mass grave with other alike individuals?

Defender
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
I find it asinine that an invisible, yet omnipresent being has the right to judge every little thing that I do. Can't I just die? Why does he feel the need to place me in some mass grave with other alike individuals?

Because that's the destiny of a human being! God created the humans and God gives a "present" to them: Eternity! On the other hand, who wants to just ...die? It's so sad & scary to be an old man and waiting for closing the eyes forever!! I can't deal with it! The probability of a life after death makes me feel more ...optimistic! I believe that most of the humans will go to heaven not to hell because of God's mercy.

Jakebert
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I've always felt that the best strategy if you do believe in God and Hell is to become loyal followers of Satan in this life, so that when you get to Hell he might just made you part of his crew or something. So you'd get to be burning sinners and stuff but you yourself remain relatively unscathed, outside of having to laugh at his cheesy jokes.

Also, I figure Satan is a lot like Tony Soprano.