PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Solution?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
We all know of the problem that most of the forum members are bots. I was looking at some of the newest members and saw that almost all the members on the first page had identical names and some bizarre characters in their names. They just clog up space as this website has over 100000 members.
I do not want to accuse the mods of not doing there job and deleting these accounts, because they are lovely people that we all admire and may not even be capable of that.
I was simply wondering if it is possible to remove those bot accounts. Or is banning the only option? Because if it's possible to ban them but not remove the space they take up, well, that sucks, because things like that annoy me.

Answers?

Little_Miss_1565
02-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Mods can't delete accounts, and at this point, going in to delete all the spam accounts that have popped up since 2005 might be too much to attempt. I can see how the powers that be want to handle it, though.

Jojan
02-06-2012, 07:46 AM
It would be simpler if there was some administrators on this forum that could fix errors. I am guessing that all that they need to do is something along

delete from USERS where POST_COUNT = 0 and REGISTRATION < 2012

samseby
02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Well, if you'd delete all these accounts the number of users would probably drop drastically (don't really know about how many accounts we are actually talking about here) so ... it's maybe better to keep those accounts. ;) There wouldn't be 123,492 users anymore that's for sure ... :p

Kidding (kind of that is).

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I like Jojan's idea. It sounds like it should be possible for an administrator. I agree with 1565 that it would be a difficult task if you needed to individually delete each account, but it's like organizing an old email account with 1000 unread emails, and poorly organized folders. That's never happened to me but I'm sure it could be done if you tackle a little bit every day. But since mods can't delete accounts, I don't expect them to do the impossible.

Little_Miss_1565
02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
A little MySQL action would do the trick, but it'll come down to whether the web guy feels like this is something we need to do, y'know?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah. Maybe eventually. I'll just try not to think about it