PDA

View Full Version : Rear-Enders



bighead384
02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
In my state (New Jersey), it is always considered your fault if you rear end someone in an auto accident. Regardless of any details imaginable. In one case when I worked at a law firm, a guy who was rear-ended was suing the lady who rear-ended him, despite the fact that he neglected to put his turn signal on.

They should change the liability laws on that. Even if it's somewhat arbitrary, I think it would be better if liability was considered 60 percent the fault of the person who rear-ended the other driver, 40 percent the person who neglected to use the turn signal. Or something along those lines.

Just a minor issue that I find ridiculous.

Isolated Fury
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Did she not see that he was slowing to turn? Or even the brake lights indicating that he was turning? And if she did but didn't have time to slow down enough to avoid a collision, that means she was probably driving too close behind him.

I know rear-endings can be somewhat stupid in a lot of cases (like your friend's), but people really need to start driving safer than they do. Pay attention to the road and other drivers. Maintain a safe distance between other drivers. Avoid any distractions like loud music, pesky passengers, and cell usage.

I agree that it wasn't your friend's fault in her case. But if she had been driving more conscientiously, there wouldn't have been a problem.

EDIT: And I just noticed that you didn't mention that she was your friend. So in this case replace every instance of "your friend" with "that lady you were talking about in the anecdote above."

Jebus
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm disappointed to find out this wasn't another delightful butt sex story when I saw "Rear-Enders by Isolated Fury" in the main forum page.

Isolated Fury
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm disappointed to find out this wasn't another delightful butt sex story when I saw "Rear-Enders by Isolated Fury" in the main forum page.
That literally made me "lol" loud enough that everyone outside of my office could hear me.

Static_Martyr
02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Dunno how it is in other countries, but in most states in America there's a road rule that says you're supposed to leave 8 car lengths between the front and rear bumpers of two cars while the cars are in motion. People aren't actually supposed to be driving bumper-to-bumper, and that's why it's always your fault if you rear-end someone --- because the only way you could be rear-ending someone, according to traffic laws, is if you were already violating another traffic law. If you're even *half* the 8-car length requirement then you have plenty of time to stop or change lanes if someone in front of you slows down suddenly, assuming they don't just immediately slam on their brakes and come to a complete stop.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Up here in Canada there aren't enough cars for that to happen.

Rooster
02-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Dunno man, two cars should be aboot enough...



:p

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Dunno man, two cars should be aboot enough...

Yeah I guess I was exaggerating a bit.

Raptor's pretty funny, eh?