PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A. flips off audience; Madonna gets pissed

Llamas
02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I know this is a few days old, but it wasn't posted here, so whatever. :P

Anyone who watched the Super Bowl - or at least halftime - knows that M.I.A. flipped off the audience during the show. Now Madonna is pissed about it. I've also read that some Americans are really upset about it, too, and there's talk of the NFL or CBS (or whatever network it was aired on) could be sued or at least fined for this, which would then come out of M.I.A.'s pocket.

What I'm wondering is how "they" decide what to show and what not to. We all know that there's a delay on live programming ever since the Janet Jackson "incident" - especially with something of the magnitude and viewership of the Super Bowl - so they can stop anything nasty from being seen by our sensitive little eyeballs.

So did M.I.A.'s bird-flipping go unnoticed by staff, or did they just decide this is fine, BUT OMG NOT A NIPPLE PLEASE SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? You can't swear on TV, so how is a middle finger okay? Shouldn't the guys responsible for stopping this stuff from getting on TV be the ones held accountable?

Honestly, it's absurd how censored American TV is, but that's an issue for another time, perhaps.

I chose this picture because I think it's really funny how they actually censored her finger. Hahaha.
http://juicytings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mia-middle-finger.jpg

PS: Madonna is an old hag and needs to stfu.

mario_spaghettio
02-12-2012, 10:16 AM
What a disrespectful piece of trash M.I.A is. They give this ungrateful degenerate an amazing opportunity and she returns the favor with a big "fuck you" I hope she ends up like Amy Winehouse.

Omni
02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
It seems like she's just trying to be "edgy" and "tough." I don't think it's directed toward anyone or that it has any meaning.

Llamas
02-12-2012, 10:49 AM
It seems like she's just trying to be "edgy" and "tough." I don't think it's directed toward anyone or that it has any meaning.

Agreed it doesn't mean anything... though I don't think she was trying to be edgy. Anyway, I'm more interested in the public reaction.

I'm pretty sure she was giving that middle finger for mario_spaghettio.

cool 2 hate 681
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM

yeah i think so too but i don't really give a shit about it to be honest

Omni
02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Anyway, I'm more interested in the public reaction.

What I meant was, there should be no public reaction. Of course, I am against pretty much all forms of censorship, but especially against an act as timid and mild as this one. If anyone honestly, truly feels the need to put down what they're doing and take up arms against this, then they are remarkably pathetic people.

Llamas
02-12-2012, 11:22 AM
What I meant was, there should be no public reaction. Of course, I am against pretty much all forms of censorship, but especially against an act as timid and mild as this one. If anyone honestly, truly feels the need to put down what they're doing and take up arms against this, then they are remarkably pathetic people.

In that case, I agree entirely. But there's been tons of backlash. She's already released a formal apology (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1678571/mia-super-bowl-halftime-show-apology.jhtml) (I wish she hadn't... there's nothing to apologize for). It's semi-jokingly already been referred to as "Fingergate". And people are trying to figure out who to "blame" (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/super-bowl-mia-middle-finger-flip-off-madonna-288255)

Madonna's negative response is the funniest part for me, though, considering she was always the queen of publicity stunts and dumb ways to get attention.

Omni
02-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I can't decide whether it's infuriating or hilarious that Madonna is protesting this. This woman shared an on-screen kiss with Britney Spears, has appeared nude several times, and has written some of the most provocative and overtly sexual lyrics of any songwriter.

You'd figure she wouldn't find a televised middle finger offensive if someone was sitting on it, spinning.

Retard
02-12-2012, 01:10 PM
The whole debacle is pretty sad. Anderson Cooper had a little monolouge thing about it on Monday. He was basically telling everyone who was REAALLYY offended to shut the fuck up. This is why I need to move to Canada.

T-6005
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
The whole debacle is pretty sad. Anderson Cooper had a little monolouge thing about it on Monday. He was basically telling everyone who was REAALLYY offended to shut the fuck up. This is why I need to move to Canada.

You shouldn't. We all just thought it was oh-so-rude.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
This is why I need to move to Canada.
I was thinking of moving down south. It's starting to feel like communism around here.

mrconeman
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Madonna's negative response is the funniest part for me, though, considering she was always the queen of publicity stunts and dumb ways to get attention.

I don't see why. Complaining about MIA's finger is literally just Madonna doing another publicity stunt. Madonna does not give a fuck about MIA's fingers location. Madonna doesn't give a fuck about anything, she's rich beyond any of our wildest dreams. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you searched hard enough, you would find a photo of Madonna giving the finger at a public event.

This would have blown over a lot quicker if it wasn't for her involvement.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Not to be one of those assholes who replies only to say that they don't care, but I'm replying to say that the degree to which I do not care about this is actually kind of remarkable. Fascinatingly so.

So does that make me not an asshole, or an even bigger asshole?

mrconeman
02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Not to be one of those assholes who replies only to say that they don't care, but I'm replying to say that the degree to which I do not care about this is actually kind of remarkable. Fascinatingly so.

So does that make me not an asshole, or an even bigger asshole?

No, that makes you a decent human being.
I can't even begin to fathom giving a fuck about this.

Retard
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Yea I don't give a fuck about this, I didn't even see it happen. I just think its funny that so many people got upset over it.

Llamas
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't see why. Complaining about MIA's finger is literally just Madonna doing another publicity stunt. Madonna does not give a fuck about MIA's fingers location. Madonna doesn't give a fuck about anything, she's rich beyond any of our wildest dreams. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you searched hard enough, you would find a photo of Madonna giving the finger at a public event.

This would have blown over a lot quicker if it wasn't for her involvement.

That's true. I was just massively shocked at how much attention this got, but it was totally all because of her.

0r4ng3
02-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Like most other people, the actual act of bird-flipping means very little to me. I did, however, find it amusing that they had a delay installed after that one halftime show years ago, for this very thing. Seriously, the 5-second-delay guy had, like, one job!

I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I don't care enough about the Superbowl to be completely right.

WebDudette
02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I can't decide whether it's infuriating or hilarious that Madonna is protesting this. This woman shared an on-screen kiss with Britney Spears.

...did that actually offend people?

Omni
02-14-2012, 06:46 AM
It was too far back for me to remember if it did or didn't. It really shouldn't have. But my point is that most "shocking" things Madonna has done are far more shocking or potentially offensive than M.I.A.'s middle finger, and it's stupid that she's pretending to be angry about it. She has a very rich and fulfilling history of doing things like this just for the fuck of it.

mario_spaghettio
02-14-2012, 09:21 AM
As always you people are missing the point. True, in general the middle finger is no big deal, but in this context it is. The Superbowl is practically an American holiday. Actually, it's bigger than most holidays. It's supposed to be a fun event suitable for family viewing. It's not the time or place for political or social statements. It is a huge honor and opportunity for any artist fortunate enough to be chosen to perform. She betrayed the trust of those who gave her this once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope she's never chosen to perform at such a prestigious event ever again.

Edit: For you Europeans, "holiday" in America refers to a celebration like Christmas or Easter and should not be confused with your defintion of "holiday" which is the American equivalent of "vacation"

Jakebert
02-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Hahaha, the Offspring BBS Show will be right back!

Llamas
02-14-2012, 02:37 PM
It's not the time or place for political or social statements.
Lol, and that's obviously why it's preceded by singing a shitload of patriotic songs and presenting the military and crap. Tell me again it's not a place for political or social statements?

Edit: For you Europeans, "holiday" in America refers to a celebration like Christmas or Easter and should not be confused with your defintion of "holiday" which is the American equivalent of "vacation"
Lol!!! So wtf do Europeans call Christmas an Easter? Vacations? Guess what - those are also "holidays" in Europe, dork.