PDA

View Full Version : Which country comes to mind when you hear the term "Eurotrash"

mario_spaghettio
02-12-2012, 07:05 PM
I used to think France first, but now I tend to think more of Eastern European countries like the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Romania.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-12-2012, 08:32 PM
France. Or maybe Italy. I'm cool with the rest of Europe

Little_Miss_1565
02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I think of Americans who have never had any contact with people from European countries.

And Bobby Bottleservice.

And trolls.

Harleyquiiinn
02-13-2012, 01:52 AM
I think teeny weeny string bikini.

http://www.les-perles-du-net.fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gunther-harry-potter-you-touch-my-tralala.jpg

ad8
02-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I think of Americans who have never had any contact with people from European countries.

And Bobby Bottleservice.

And trolls.
This is a good answer.

For a less good answer, see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcdhv7ZPohQ&feature=related

Llamas
02-13-2012, 06:02 AM
I think teeny weeny string bikini.

http://www.les-perles-du-net.fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gunther-harry-potter-you-touch-my-tralala.jpg

omg! GŁnther!! Best answer EVER. Oooooooh, you touch my tra la la.

I've actually never met a real eurotrash person... they're only in movies and stuff, or ones like GŁnther who are making fun of it.

mrconeman
02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
France, but only because there used to be a TV show shown here called Eurotrash that was presented by a really sleazy Frenchman.

BagOfShenanigans
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Anyone with a pissy European accent, or anyone who has a superiority complex about their country, and constantly mocks Americans.

I can deal with most accents, but sometimes they just make you sound like a brat.

mrconeman
02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
^ That statement makes you sound like a brat.
American accents are more whiny and bratty than any I've ever experienced too, so given that you're American and saying that....

Harleyquiiinn
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
France, but only because there used to be a TV show shown here called Eurotrash that was presented by a really sleazy Frenchman.

Oh ? :confused:

I never heard of that show.

*wikipedia*

Ooooh, Antoine de Caunes ? I love that guy. I didn't know about this at all. I'm going to Youtube this.

yarock
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
The ones that don't protect their women and let them be priced and used and perish in foreign countries. And even they let that happen in their own countries by easing the visa processes.

holland25
02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
This thread was created by a troll who's got 'spaghetti' in his nickname? Whatever.

Llamas
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Anyone with a pissy European accent, or anyone who has a superiority complex about their country, and constantly mocks Americans.

I can deal with most accents, but sometimes they just make you sound like a brat.

Wtf is a "European accent"?? Americans have superiority complexes more than most countries, anyway...

holland25
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Oh, and mario, you know that majority of Americans is of European descent, right?

Isolated Fury
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Wtf is a "European accent"?? Americans have superiority complexes more than most countries, anyway...
Some Americans definitely. But, to be completely honest, I don't wholeheartedly agree. I feel like a lot of the world has a perception about Americans that makes us all seem like gun-toting, ego-maniacal, inconsiderate assholes. There's a fair number of us that are really quite ashamed to be regarded with those people. Granted, there definitely ARE some of those people out there. But we're not all like that. That's one thing I really don't like about coming to the BBS. There is such a diversity within the posters that being labelled as an American can skew how people view my posts. Call me paranoid, but I constantly view responses as having an underlying tone of "Oh, he's just a stupid American."

Llamas
02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Some Americans definitely. But, to be completely honest, I don't wholeheartedly agree. I feel like a lot of the world has a perception about Americans that makes us all seem like gun-toting, ego-maniacal, inconsiderate assholes. There's a fair number of us that are really quite ashamed to be regarded with those people. Granted, there definitely ARE some of those people out there. But we're not all like that. That's one thing I really don't like about coming to the BBS. There is such a diversity within the posters that being labelled as an American can skew how people view my posts. Call me paranoid, but I constantly view responses as having an underlying tone of "Oh, he's just a stupid American."

I'm an American myself, and I'm one of the ones you described - who's ashamed to be lumped in with the others. I wasn't trying to say that stereotyping all people from a country is okay or correct, and I wasn't trying to say that even MOST Americans are like that. I'm just saying that there's a higher percentage of Americans who think their country is the best in the world than most countries have. Especially when compared with European countries... most Europeans rather have inferiority complexes, unless you're looking at Spain/France/Italy/UK. That leaves like 20 other countries who mostly feel like they're nobody.

BagOfShenanigans
02-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Let me expand on what I said..

Anyone who speaks in a manner unintelligible to any one from any country is considered undesirable. Since 'eurotrash' was the designated target, I narrowed it down to anyone who speaks in an accent (stemming from a country that resides in Europe... European.) that is so obtuse that neither I, nor their fellow countrymen wish to hear it.

Also, in regard to superiority complexes; I'm sick of being called an 'Americunt' and a 'wanker' just for being an an American. I don't stereotype other people for the country they live in, thus I also define Eurotrash as someone who despises me for being American.

If you're still offended, I'll clarify what I mean by 'obtuse accents'. Americans have them too. Ever spoken to someone with such a thick hillbilly accent that you couldn't understand a word they said? That's what I'm getting at... Only I'm directing it at other nationalities. (Because that's the point of the thread.)

Why do people start threads like this, and get offended by the expected content matter?

Isolated Fury
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm an American myself, and I'm one of the ones you described - who's ashamed to be lumped in with the others. I wasn't trying to say that stereotyping all people from a country is okay or correct, and I wasn't trying to say that even MOST Americans are like that. I'm just saying that there's a higher percentage of Americans who think their country is the best in the world than most countries have. Especially when compared with European countries... most Europeans rather have inferiority complexes, unless you're looking at Spain/France/Italy/UK. That leaves like 20 other countries who mostly feel like they're nobody.
Ok, good. Agreed. Slight miscommunication.

Let me expand on what I said..

Anyone who speaks in a manner unintelligible to any one from any country is considered undesirable. Since 'eurotrash' was the designated target, I narrowed it down to anyone who speaks in an accent (stemming from a country that resides in Europe... European.) that is so obtuse that neither I, nor their fellow countrymen wish to hear it.
Then you have an ignorant, untrained ear? I don't know what to tell you.

I don't stereotype other people for the country they live in, thus I also define Eurotrash as someone who despises me for being American.
... You don't discriminate based on country of origin, but you have a definition for the word "Eurotrash." Huh.

mrconeman
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
A really inaccurate one at that.

BagOfShenanigans
02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Ok, good. Agreed. Slight miscommunication.

Then you have an ignorant, untrained ear? I don't know what to tell you.

... You don't discriminate based on country of origin, but you have a definition for the word "Eurotrash." Huh.

I don't know how to respond to this level of hypocrisy and ignorance.

You're either messing with me, or you are totally insane.

Isolated Fury
02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't know how to respond to this level of hypocrisy and ignorance.

You're either messing with me, or you are totally insane.
You don't NEED to respond. It saves me the trouble of reading it.

mario_spaghettio
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Oh, and mario, you know that majority of Americans is of European descent, right?Maybe, but that's not really relevant since I'm not calling all Europeans trash. Eurotrash is a real subculture. I don't want to point out any Europeans on this board that may fit into that category, but from the photo album #4 thread I would say there are definitely some that post here. It seems that Hungarians and Romanians are most likely to fit the stereotype as far as posters from here go. I'll leave the Czechs and similar Slavic people out of this for now pending further review.

Llamas
02-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Anyone who speaks in a manner unintelligible to any one from any country is considered undesirable.
So, anyone from Europe who talks in a way nobody can understand is Eurotrash? That is really the most bizarre definition I've ever heard. I've never met anyone nobody could understand who didn't have a speech impediment. I haven't even met someone I couldn't understand unless English wasn't their native language and they were struggling to learn it. Seriously, wtf?

Since 'eurotrash' was the designated target, I narrowed it down to anyone who speaks in an accent (stemming from a country that resides in Europe... European.) that is so obtuse that neither I, nor their fellow countrymen wish to hear it.
Can you give example accents? Because I really have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe a US accent that fits this definition?

Also, in regard to superiority complexes; I'm sick of being called an 'Americunt' and a 'wanker' just for being an an American. I don't stereotype other people for the country they live in, thus I also define Eurotrash as someone who despises me for being American.
I, too, hate being stereotyped for where I'm from. But people like that come from everywhere. I know plenty of Americans who think/say all Europeans are pussy pacifists, who think Germans are aggressive assholes, who think Frechmen are arrogant douchebags... What's the term, then, for such Americans? Again, weirdest definition of "Eurotrash"...

If you're still offended, I'll clarify what I mean by 'obtuse accents'. Americans have them too. Ever spoken to someone with such a thick hillbilly accent that you couldn't understand a word they said? That's what I'm getting at... Only I'm directing it at other nationalities. (Because that's the point of the thread.)
Honestly still don't get it. A "hillbilly" accent is generally known as a southern accent, and most Americans 1) can understand them (it's called "trying to understand other cultures"), and 2) don't wish not to hear it... unless they're judgmental idiots.

Baldwin
02-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Hillbilly accents aren't the same as Southern accents. There are well over two dozen distinct and seperate Southern US accents, and some of them are pure white trash, some of them are refined and sophisticated. Meanwhile you've got rural folks in the north, the east, the heartland cornfed states, all with their own rural hillbilly way of speaking.

If you want to think of a US accent most Americans have trouble understanding, think Swamp-Cajun or backwoods Appalachian. New England White Trash can also be troublesome, but to a lesser degree ; and I'm sure your older citizens especially hear ghetto ebonics as practically a foreign language.

If you want to think of a US accent nobody wants to hear, you can't go past Minnesotan.

dff_punk
02-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Is THIS the accent you are talking about, Shenanigans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax9Qfs3Bz3A

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Yes! I had these two Italian teachers back in the day who explained that they were best at teaching whatever they taught, and could do better than the rest of the teachers in the school.

Llamas
02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Hillbilly accents aren't the same as Southern accents. There are well over two dozen distinct and seperate Southern US accents, and some of them are pure white trash, some of them are refined and sophisticated. Meanwhile you've got rural folks in the north, the east, the heartland cornfed states, all with their own rural hillbilly way of speaking.

If you want to think of a US accent most Americans have trouble understanding, think Swamp-Cajun or backwoods Appalachian.
That was kind of what I was looking for. I'd agree that a lot of Americans have a hard time understanding that stuff, but "a hillbilly accent" doesn't really count, and I'd still argue that Americans who can't understand it have limited their exposure and aren't trying.

and I'm sure your older citizens especially hear ghetto ebonics as practically a foreign language.
Of course they do, but it's still not an accent (Ebonics is a dialect, anyway) that everyone looks down on. I'd accept your Swamp-Cajun or Appalachian before I'd accept Ebonics.

If you want to think of a US accent nobody wants to hear, you can't go past Minnesotan.
Lol I see what you did there ;)... unfortunately, I've never had anything close to a Minnesotan accent, considering I wasn't born nor raised there, I lived in the capital city, and have been living in Europe for 2.5 years now. But I actually *love* Minnesota accents, because they're ridiculous to make fun of. Adorable shit right there.

Actually, that makes me curious. It'd be cool to post a voice clip on a website where nobody knows who I am, and have them guess where I'm from. I still speak with a mostly American accent, but my regional accent and dialect are pretty much extinct. I've picked up a more British pronunciation of /t/ (instead of /ɾ/, the flap, which sounds like a "d" in American English) like "metal" and "water"... of /ɔ/, now when I say "law" and "low", "caught" and "coat", they sound a lot more similar... and there are a lot more occurrences of /ɑ/ than /ś/ like in "aunt", I don't say it like "ant" anymore. Plus I say I'm going to the toilet instead of the bathroom, it's on the ground level instead of the first floor, and I'm gonna watch the football match instead of the soccer game (though why would an American ever say the second one, anyway? ;)) I've still got (I even use British grammar...) that pesky American constricted "r", though. I think open "r"s sound much nicer, and would love to speak with one, but I can't get around my pirate Arrrrrrrghhh. I wonder where people would peg me on the map...

Hey Man Where's Everybody
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I honestly thought "eurotrash" was a term that referred specifically to those late-90s French dance-pop singers and their followers. You know, Eiffel 65? Yeah.

Harleyquiiinn
02-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I honestly thought "eurotrash" was a term that referred specifically to those late-90s French dance-pop singers and their followers. You know, Eiffel 65? Yeah.

Eiffel 65 is french ??!!!!

(i'm blue dabadee dabadaaa)

Yep, now, it's stuck in your

Edit: dude, it's Italian. Just because there is Eiffel in it, doesn't mean in has to be french :D

Llamas
02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
One of my students asked me today if I liked Eiffel 69. I asked if he meant Eiffel 65, and then mentioned how incredibly random that was. I like that this band that I haven't even thought about in years came up twice today.

Hey Man Where's Everybody
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Yep, now, it's stuck in your

Edit: dude, it's Italian. Just because there is Eiffel in it, doesn't mean in has to be french :D

Well, I'll be.

Tijs
02-15-2012, 04:54 PM

But I totally bought that single. 6 years ago.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
If you want to think of a US accent most Americans have trouble understanding, think Swamp-Cajun or backwoods Appalachian.
Try the Outer Banks and Roanoke Island. And not the old, "hoi toid" people that they always interview in linguistics documentaries with their post-colonial-isolation selective retention of British English features, but the younger generation who hybridize their parents' dialect with the rural swamp-country accent of Eastern NC. I come from a place less than 200 miles away from them and I've never been so loathe to understand the English language.

I've always found the stereotype of Minnesotan accents to be pretty inaccurate. People from rural upstate New York talk the way that everyone thinks Minnesotans talk, though.

For me, Chicago accents are the worst. Especially the way the kids today shift their vowels (like girls calling each other "betches").

Llamas
02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I've always found the stereotype of Minnesotan accents to be pretty inaccurate. People from rural upstate New York talk the way that everyone thinks Minnesotans talk, though.

It's accurate, but not for a very big percentage of Minnesotans. I lived in Minnesota for like 6 years, and only ever had one classmate who spoke with more of what people consider a Minnesotan accent. She came from the town of Rosemount, and would say it very much like "Roooowz-maaaahhhhnt" with the typical long, round O and the nasally ahhh. It was super adorable, haha. Very, very few people in that state actually throw around "oh dontcha know, yah der eh!" unless they're making fun.

For me, Chicago accents are the worst. Especially the way the kids today shift their vowels (like girls calling each other "betches").
Definitely not a big fan of Chicago accents... ugly. And the vowel shift drifted from the North - Wisconsinites have been saying that they drink "melk" and sleep on a "pellow" for years. They also say words like "flag" and "bag" as though there's an "e" on the end of the word. Long "a", rhyming with "flake" and "bake". Ugh, ugh, SO UGLY. It's been spreading, though, and it's sad that it's actually become popular to shift the ih to an eh.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah I've definitely heard that "flaeg" pronunciation from Midwesterners. It's ugly as sin.

Another thing I hate from lots of northerners- rural New Yorkers, mostly- is pronouncing "garbage" like "gar-beej." I think this is mostly a relic of older generations, though.