02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
. .

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
02-21-2012, 06:51 AM
What sport do you do?
How often?
How fit are you?
How flexible?
Are you on pro, amateur level? Any competition? Any desire to?
What do you love most about your sport/workout/discipline?
Do you feel like your brain and/or willpower are gaining a lot from it as well, or is it completely mindnumbing BUT you're improving your stamina and that's all you care about?
Do you exercise in order to be able to do something else (eg do your daily crunches so you'll finally be able to kitesurf and not keel over after 10 seconds)?

I'm including everything from table tennis through fencing through circus acts to karate.
Just state what you do.

Soccer...and I'll reply to this later

Llamas
02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
What sport do you do? I walk around 20km a week, I bike all around the city, when it's warm out I skate around the city, when I have money I do Zumba and Power Plate at least once a week, and in my free time with friends, I play tennis or basketball. Oh, and I play hacky sack for a few hours every Friday.

How often? Already answered.

How fit are you? Medium. According to doctors, I'm a couple pounds below the "ideal medical weight" for my age, gender, and height. I'm above average in weight for females of my size, but a ton of women are underweight.

How flexible? Medium. Hacky Sack helps a LOT with that.

Are you on pro, amateur level? Any competition? Any desire to? Nah, I competed in high school, but am really not into athletic competition.

What do you love most about your sport/workout/discipline? N/A. I kinda do what I want when I want. I don't really have A sport, A workout, or A discipline. I guess I like how varied it is. I never get bored.

Do you feel like your brain and/or willpower are gaining a lot from it as well, or is it completely mindnumbing BUT you're improving your stamina and that's all you care about? I get depressed when not physically active. I focus on minor health issues and end up stressing. I feel a million times better mentally when active.

Do you exercise in order to be able to do something else (eg do your daily crunches so you'll finally be able to kitesurf and not keel over after 10 seconds)? Nope. I just do it for my well being and because I enjoy it.

Harleyquiiinn
02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
I go the gym but I don't like it.

The only sports I am attracted to and that motivates me are the one that you see in the X-games or competitions like that. I don't practice most of them and I still suck at some (Surfing is soooo difficult, seriously).

The only one I am actually fairly good at is skiing. Also, I love it. Basically because it is fast and gives you great sensations.

So my only goal is to become an excellent skier, maybe do some competition (there is actually a competition of legal professions that I would really like to enter), but mostly, just to be good at it.

And yeah, I go the gym to be in a good condition for my few days of skiing. And also because eventhough I don't like it, I really believe that it does me good, mentally I mean.

Llamas
02-21-2012, 07:21 AM
You know what sucks? Coming from a place with zero mountains (seriously, our peak is 800 meters), therefore never learning to ski, and then moving within day trip of the Julian Alps. Why does that suck? Because I really, really, really want to learn how to ski and freaking GO SKIING, but everyone I know is good at it and would never want to spend the day on the beginner slopes with me. :( :( lifeispain.

Edit: I lied. The highest peak in Minnesota is 701m. And in the state I was raised in, Wisconsin, it's 595m. Major mountainfail.

Harleyquiiinn
02-21-2012, 07:39 AM
You know what sucks? Coming from a place with zero mountains (seriously, our peak is 800 meters), therefore never learning to ski, and then moving within day trip of the Julian Alps. Why does that suck? Because I really, really, really want to learn how to ski and freaking GO SKIING, but everyone I know is good at it and would never want to spend the day on the beginner slopes with me. :( :( lifeispain.

Edit: I lied. The highest peak in Minnesota is 701m. And in the state I was raised in, Wisconsin, it's 595m. Major mountainfail.

Next week, I'm in the french Alps. Please come, I would gladly teach you the basics ;)

But yeah, seriously, I do love teaching beginners how to ski. I'd really love to become a ski teacher one day.

Llamas
02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Next week, I'm in the french Alps. Please come, I would gladly teach you the basics ;)

But yeah, seriously, I do love teaching beginners how to ski. I'd really love to become a ski teacher one day.

Hey, that's awesome! But would you wanna spend an entire day doing that? Hopefully next winter, I'll have money for travelling and skiing, and maybe we could do that! :)

Harleyquiiinn
02-21-2012, 07:46 AM
You might learn faster than you think. With parabolic skis, it's really not that difficult. Besides, in the place where I'm going, there are great beginner's slopes where you can actually take a great, nice ride in the mountains.

So yeah, I would. Maybe next year, then ;)

Llamas
02-21-2012, 07:51 AM
You might learn faster than you think. With parabolic skis, it's really not that difficult. Besides, in the place where I'm going, there are great beginner's slopes where you can actually take a great, nice ride in the mountains.

So yeah, I would. Maybe next year, then ;)

You have no idea how excited I am!! I went skiing in the Austrian alps 5 years ago, with Finns who were all really experienced and super bored on the beginner hills. Two went straight to the advanced hills, and one stayed with me on the beginner hills for a few hours... and then we all met halfway on the intermediate ones, which resulted in me being on my ass for a long time and hurting myself and being in a ton of pain. And everyone I know here either hates skiing and never goes, or is a serious hardcore skiier. I met a lady the other day who goes skiing every Saturday by herself, and always goes alone because other people slow her down, hahaha. She doesn't even take a break for lunch. She eats on the lift. Hardcore. So I'm excited about the possibility of learning!! :)

bighead384
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
I was a fairly gifted soccer player, but I could never kick the ball well. Towards the end of my playing career I was able to kick the ball decently from a standstill, but if I was kicking while dribbling, the ball wouldn't go anywhere. No amount of experimenting allowed me to really fix the problem other than minor improvements. I always wondered if my crooked big toes were to blame. I have crooked big toes the bend inward pretty severely. I also have always wondered if they affected my balance.

coke_a_holic
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm a caver and also a backpacker; I go once or twice a month, usually through my job at my university. While I'm not fit, I'm not out of shape, either... Let's say that I'm flexible enough to fit into small cave cracks, but not enough for yoga. And I guess that makes me a pro? I lead crews of novices on expeditions, which is a lot of fun. People usually surprise themselves on the trips and I usually surprise myself. I feel like it helps me think critically about group situations and risk management and gives me a real new angle to approach things that I've been doing since I was in middle school.

I don't regularly exercise, but I do a lot of walking (about 5 miles a day).

Here are some caving pics:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/377781_1648909622428_1227570883_31718609_799492620 _n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/421959_1753974288979_1227570883_31786673_329563051 _n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/304158_1648922022738_1227570883_31718656_165300179 3_n.jpg

And here's one from backpacking:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/199327_1631261506755_1393140071_31426337_7863778_n .jpg

bighead384
02-22-2012, 07:24 AM
You look Jewish. Like I just wanna place a yamika on that noggin.

Alison
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I do a bit of horse riding, but not as much as I used to. I'll go show jumping or cross country every now and then.
Because of college I don't have much time. Maybe twice a week.
I'm not fit, really. I tell myself every year that I'll start going to the gym or start cycling places or something, but that hasn't transpired yet. Maybe this summer seen as I'll need some excuse not to be working on my thesis.
I guess I could be amateur level. The highest I've jumped is 1.30m, which is pretty high I guess. But I'm just not bothered, and the weather is too crap during winter.

For the last few years I've also been going snowboarding every year for a week each time (although not this year, stupid MA).

I would love to take up archery, but I don't know if there's somewhere here to do it.

Baldwin
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
If you can't find a local archery club, it'd be worth checking your local outdoor rifle range if they have an archery setup. Lots of them do. Or did you mean horse archery or bowhunting or something other than bog-standard shooting at targets?

I was a fairly gifted soccer player, but I could never kick the ball well.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a gifted shotputter, but I could never throw the shotput very far.

killer_queen
02-22-2012, 08:42 AM
The only sport I'm good at is riding, probably because it is the only one I enjoy. I've never jumped so high like Allison, though. I have been riding since I was a kid but there have always been huge gaps and it is easy to forget everything you know. And now it is pointless to start again. Riding clubs are not in the city so just for 45 minutes of riding I should spend 3-4 hours of my day.

As for being fit, no I am not and I have never really cared about that. As long as I'm on my ideal weight I don't care about having a muscled body. I hate gyms. I'm really surprised at people who work out without having someone who tells them what to do. I have to have a coach or something like that to do more than five push-ups. And I really hate guys that workout ten minutes and then look at the mirror for half an hour to see if they got a six-pack. Or fat women who cycle while giving each other chocolate cake recipes.
Right now walking is the best thing. Luckily I'm living at seaside so it is not a crashing bore with the view and an ipod.

And I admire people who can ski. Almost all of my friends are pros and I'm the only one amongst them who can't even walk when it snows. I would try it but I'm really scared of breaking and arm. Or driving the instructor mad.

bighead384
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm a gifted shotputter, but I could never throw the shotput very far.
You fuck, I was only talking about shooting. And I guess either long clears or corner kicks depending on what position you play. But it's not like kicking the ball far and hard is the only skill that makes you good in soccer. And anyways, my kick wasn't so bad that it was useless, it just limited me a lot.

That would otherwise be a decent joke though.

Baldwin
02-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Being that I'm not a sissykicking European, I staunchly refuse to understand any concept of soccer past "people kick a ball and fake injuries and cry". I thought you were American, anyhow. I'm almost certain that they play real sports in America, so what's your excuse for playing wogball?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

I actually laughed out loud. I'm considering a signature extension just for that.

mario_spaghettio
02-22-2012, 07:17 PM
I was a fairly gifted soccer player, but I could never kick the ball well.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a gifted shotputter, but I could never throw the shotput very far.fucking lol

yarock
02-23-2012, 03:49 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Isolated Fury
02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
I used to be fairly athletic. Most of my days are spent sitting at a desk lately.

I was really big into rock climbing a few years ago. I don't do it so much since my brother moved away, but I'd love to get back into it. Being outside and really pushing yourself is such an invigorating feeling. I would post some photos, but they're all in my brother's possession. I don't exactly feel like driving 1,300 miles to go get them.

RageAndLov
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
I am actively playing handball and my team are on a competing level. We are not in the upper league so we are by no means doing handball as a profession. I play wing if anyone wonders.
Also, we are a couple of students who have just started a football team, and we play games against other students occasionally, but not anything serious. We basically meet three times a week to play some football.
I also work out with two other friends a few times a week, but I am not in the great physical shape as I was when I was 15-16 and had 6 practises a week.
During winter I of course do ski, both cross country and alpine, but purely on an amateur level, and during Easter holidays I go skiing nearly every day.

I mostly do sports to have fun, but the working out bit is obviously because I need to work out my body as it is no fun. If I hadn't two friends to it with, I might have not even got to the gym. I don't really feel I gain much mental skills through playing sports, but it sure helps to get things off my mind. When I am on the handball court, the only thing in my head is handball, and that kind of escapism feels really good.

Little_Miss_1565
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I do hot yoga / hot pilates 1 - 4 times a week, and some biking to and from work when the weather is nice. I'm reasonably good, but I have low blood pressure so I get dizzy sometimes. I just try to stay active because it makes me feel good, and then I can eat lots of awesome food without getting fat as shit. I'm not terribly coordinated, so I was never good at actual sports.

Jojan
02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I masturbate at least once every day.

findout5
02-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I masturbate at least once every day.

I bet you're at an olympic level by now!

personal_loans_1
02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I begin to practice weider's aerobic six again. I started it many times, never persevered more than a week. Today's day 1 again. Now or never.

samseby
02-25-2012, 05:06 AM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/377781_1648909622428_1227570883_31718609_799492620 _n.jpg

Nice photo but definitely not for me ... I'd get claustrophobic :(.

I tried running and swimming a couple of years ago - turns out I'm not good at endurance sports. The same goes for martial arts like judo and taekwondo. Meanwhile I go to the gym at least three times a week which I actually like a lot; it helps me to cope with stress and to get in shape though I tend to overdo it a little at times.

calichix
02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
If you can't find a local archery club, it'd be worth checking your local outdoor rifle range if they have an archery setup. Lots of them do. Or did you mean horse archery or bowhunting or something other than bog-standard shooting at targets?

3.5 minute lol

I like playing baseball and I love watching rugby. and I'm really, exceptionally, unnaturally good at rock climbing. my brother loves rock gyms and I took him to a swanky one for his birthday thinking I'd dick around on the baby rock gym, but I did the "ULTRA CLIMB" on my first try, in like 5 minutes. I could climb el capitan no problem because I'm a fucking spider monkey prodigy.

I also teach booty yoga. (http://butifitness.com/about-buti/) (sarah you should get a piece of that pie, there's a certification workshop coming to nyc this summer. it's ridiculously lucrative, just to teach people how to shake around and stretch)

Little_Miss_1565
02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh giiiirl, I want a piece of that booty cheddar, but I'm now living in CA. :(

findout5
02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
What sport do you do?
I did tennis and swimming...then bodybuilding/jogging and currently kickboxing/Muay Thai.

How often?
Tennis - 9 years
Swimming - 2 years
Bodybuilding - 7 years
KB/MT - 1 year
I ran all these years...still do!

How fit are you?
7/10

How flexible?
6/10

Are you on pro, amateur level? Any competition? Any desire to?
Competition only on tennis...in between amateur and pro level.
Everything else just for fun.

What do you love most about your sport/workout/discipline?
It just makes me feel good. I like being tired afterwards. I like looking good in the nude. Also, there's a calming effect on my mind and that feels right.

Do you feel like your brain and/or willpower are gaining a lot from it as well, or is it completely mindnumbing BUT you're improving your stamina and that's all you care about?
Strong body, stronger mind.

Do you exercise in order to be able to do something else (eg do your daily crunches so you'll finally be able to kitesurf and not keel over after 10 seconds)?
Not really.

That is all.

calichix
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
what! (when, where, why?) ohhhh give the pacific a kiss for me. and smoke some stiggy iggy iggy. I relocated to austin, tx. :/

yarock
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
What sport do you do?
I did tennis and swimming...then bodybuilding/jogging and currently kickboxing/Muay Thai.

How often?
Tennis - 9 years
Swimming - 2 years
Bodybuilding - 7 years
KB/MT - 1 year
I ran all these years...still do!

How fit are you?
7/10

I didn't get this. You do all this things for quite some time, and you give yourself 7 out of 10. Now I'm wondering if you're going modest on us, cause if I do just swimming and running for 3 straight months I'd say I'm hundred percent fit. Am I missing something? Or in your point of view, what are the essentials of being fit?

T-6005
02-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I run, and that's about it.

Being able to run without really having trouble breathing isn't so much a worry, even at 200 pounds standing on 6 feet flat. Larger than I'd like.

Keeping that in mind, I'm talking 5k under 25, 5 miles under 48 as general targets. Not exactly incredible times for those more in shape and who weigh much less. As much as I'd wish otherwise, I've always been better over a sprint and yet, despite natural proclivities, always preferred sports that required endurance. Rugby and the line mechanism always worked for me particularly - pace and agility made me a pretty natural back. As a result, I always avoided it. Soccer was the same thing. Acceleration and the ability to cut inside quickly made me a natural winger, so I always avoided the sport in favor of the hardest sprint, the 800 meter.

How fit am I now? Much less than I was seven years ago, but much more than I was three years ago. That's good enough for me as a general alcoholic. I can run 90 percent of the people I know into the ground and don't get winded taking the stairs up a few floors. Who really needs more than that?

findout5
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I didn't get this. You do all this things for quite some time, and you give yourself 7 out of 10. Now I'm wondering if you're going modest on us, cause if I do just swimming and running for 3 straight months I'd say I'm hundred percent fit. Am I missing something? Or in your point of view, what are the essentials of being fit?

There's "fit" and then there's fighting fit. The human body strength drops a lot after a few minutes of fighting...and I'm barely on sparring level!
So, I say 7/10 right now and it ain't bad, but there's a lot to improve...if you meet someone who's a pro athlete you'll see a whole new level of fitness (stamina, strength, etc.).

Zee
05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I love sports. Playing all kinds of ball games. It's one of the most important elements in day routines.

My main sports is Field Hockey. We've won the Finnish league twice in a row now, and we're heading for a Champions League pool III in May at Slovakia. It'll be one hell of an experience, first time for me. We'll meet the champions from Azerbaidjan, Turkey, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Norway. Can't wait!

In summers I play a lot of tennis. Definitely my second favourite sports. I consider myself pretty good at it. ;) First serves are my weakness though.

And then football in summers - if I got time left.

During winters I try to play Ice Hockey approx. twice a week. And floorball once a week.

Ball games - quality time to spend with.