PDA

View Full Version : TV Chefs

bighead384
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Probably a minimally interesting thread here...not sure.

Do you have any favorite chefs who have their own TV show?

I find something oddly soothing about cooking shows. I think I just have an affinity for watching people do things that they're extremely passionate about. And I also like interesting voices and accents, which chefs often have.

Sidenote: It sounds like they should have another word for a female chef. Chef sounds too masculine.

samseby
02-22-2012, 04:48 AM
I like Andrew Zimmern ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwkEclplAjc
Honestly, I wouldn't touch (let alone eat) half of the stuff he's eating but he's pretty entertaining & funny.

And yeah, they should get another word for female chefs. ;)

killer_queen
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I have a huge crush on Anne Burrell. And I agree with you on how cooking shows soothes people. They are the only things I can stand when I'm down.

And although I find him cute like everybody else Jamie Oliver's way of cooking is absolutely terrible and definitely not soothing.

That_Guy91
02-22-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure Chopped is the best thing ever on television.

jacknife737
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm rather partial to Anthony Bourdain myself, though i'm drawn to his stuff not so much for the food, but the entertainment value.

His travel centric series are always fantastic.

WebDudette
02-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Bourdain, duh. Zimmern is alright, but I'd always rather be watching Bourdain.

I never really liked 'how to' cooking shows, but Rachel Ray is pretty hot and Paula Dean should be put down.

Kitchen Nightmare was pretty interesting, getting a look into some real life restaurants and Ramsey is just interesting. I watched a couple seasons of Hell's Kitchen, it was cool while it lasted, but you can only watch it for so long before it's the same stupid shit over and over. Plus, all of the chef's on that show are fucking terrible. I know everyone says Ramsey is a lot more toned down on his English shows, but I kind of like the way he is portrayed on him American shows.

Iron Chef is pretty awesome, I much prefer the Japanese one because I really dislike Bobby Flay, Kat, and Mario Batali. I have no opinion on Morimoto's character, but his food looks amazing. I love how some journalist when to see a recording of Iron Chef and freaked the fuck out and wrote this scathing article about how it really works. Then everyone who wasn't an idiot was like 'yeah, of course, you don't expect them to come up with this shit off the top of their heads, do you?'

There are a bunch of other shows that I'll watch if their on, but none that really come to mind right now.

findout5
02-23-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm really into Chef Ramsay! I love both his shows - Hells Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares...I probably like the 1st one better, just cos he's such an asshole there!

IamSam
02-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Bourdain, duh. Zimmern is alright, but I'd always rather be watching Bourdain.

I never really liked 'how to' cooking shows, but Rachel Ray is pretty hot and Paula Dean should be put down.

Kitchen Nightmare was pretty interesting, getting a look into some real life restaurants and Ramsey is just interesting. I watched a couple seasons of Hell's Kitchen, it was cool while it lasted, but you can only watch it for so long before it's the same stupid shit over and over. Plus, all of the chef's on that show are fucking terrible. I know everyone says Ramsey is a lot more toned down on his English shows, but I kind of like the way he is portrayed on him American shows.

Iron Chef is pretty awesome, I much prefer the Japanese one because I really dislike Bobby Flay, Kat, and Mario Batali. I have no opinion on Morimoto's character, but his food looks amazing. I love how some journalist when to see a recording of Iron Chef and freaked the fuck out and wrote this scathing article about how it really works. Then everyone who wasn't an idiot was like 'yeah, of course, you don't expect them to come up with this shit off the top of their heads, do you?'

There are a bunch of other shows that I'll watch if their on, but none that really come to mind right now.

All of this I agree with.

Also, I'd like to see a cage match between Paula Dean and Wilford Brimley.

samseby
02-24-2012, 05:28 AM
[...] I probably like the 1st one better, just cos he's such an asshole there!

The reason why I don't like that one at all.
BTW Don't like those QVC shows much either (though they can be unintentionally funny at times) :p

Outerspaceman21
02-27-2012, 03:14 AM
I used to watch Hells Kitchen a lot, it was like the only reality show I liked. I mostly watched it to see Gordon Ramsay tear into people. As for any chef that I legit like for their cooking prowess, not so much.

findout5
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Gordon shows his softer side on KN...but nothing beats him being a jerk! I've laughed my ass off so man times on HK...the bastard has priceless moments of insanity!