PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up on the news

Llamas
02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
The last couple days, I was linked articles from Yahoo News, and I was reminded what a heap of steaming garbage their "news" is... and it got me thinking about the news and what we keep up on. I guess my case is a bit uncommon, because I can't read local news due to a language barrier, so I mostly stick to world news and internet-based news. I also get a lot of US news in there, which I don't particularly care about, but I get roped in.

But I'm curious about where people get their news from. Does anyone actually actively watch the news on TV? Does anyone get their news from NBC/Fox/etc? I have CNN in my Facebook newsfeed, and occasionally will read an article from them, but I've come to realize that my main source of news these days is thedailywh.at lol. Not much of a news source at all, but it's the only thing that really interests me, mostly because it's got a lot of positive stuff, and a lot of irrelevant, non-news stuff mixed in.

Someone linked an article yesterday about a little girl who was run to death by her parents over telling a lie. I didn't read the article, but my reaction was, "Why do people read this stuff?" People are dumb. Plus the majority of journalists are assholes, but that's another story.

BagOfShenanigans
02-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I get my news from youtube subscriptions.

Baldwin
02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet. com is the only news site I bother checking anymore.

There was a pro-genocide Serbian propaganda site that I used to check some years ago because 2/3rds of the articles were about adorable baby animals doing adorable things, but they've had a management change or something and moved their focus back to boring political stuff and genocide-denial (idiots, we'd forgive you for the genocide if you just kept with the 'baby bear has bucket stuck on head' type articles) But yeah, now I just type random searches into youtube for adorable baby animal stuff, I can choose exactly what kind of adorable baby animal I want to see, if I'm feeling lucky I can even define the type of adorable behaviour I'm hoping to see it perform, and there's a much reduced chance of me ending up on a terrorist watchlist.

But keeping up with the news is basically for faggot teenagers with too many opinions. I learned everything I'll ever need to know about the world by 1996, and fuck if I'm going to willingly learn anything new, ever again.

XYlophonetreeZ
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
The news is a conspiracy designed to keep people stupid. I learned this when I took my intro to journalism class and found out that making money is actually one of the goals of network television, so they have no integrity. And then I watched that clip of Jon Stewart on Crossfire, which cemented all of my doubts. So logically, the only reliable place to get the news is from fringe blogs run by armchair journalists who aren't just out to delude all of the sheeple, because it's not like arbitrarily calling everyone "sheeple" is also manipulative. Obviously you can see that they have way more integrity than the mainstream liberal media, or else your a fucking moron. Voat Ron Paul 2012.

jacknife737
02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
I pretty much stick to established newspapers (NY Times, Guardian, Globe and Mail), or news magazines (Foreign Policy, Economist). Twitter actually has been fantastic for this, you can organize lists/feeds of your favorite news sources and not just the big publications but individual journalists as well - and saves you time too: when a big event happens you can have access to stories written by a dozen different sources without first having to go to their respective websites to look them up.

I rarely watch "normal" tv these days, but the only television news i'll watch is BBC World News or CBC's The National*, or CTV's Question Period*.

*Things only Canadians will know about.

samseby
02-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Mostly CNN and German news channels like n-tv ... which happens to be an affiliate network of CNN (not sure if that's a good thing :p) and twitter where I follow local, national and international newspapers. Radio & daily papers not that much anymore actually.

RageAndLov
02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Mostly Norwegian news on the internet, although I read Le Monde Diplomatique and the Economist as well.

Outerspaceman21
02-27-2012, 02:04 AM
In terms of TV news, god no. It feels like they don't tell you anything, like any real detail (which I can understand what with their time constraints). I did, however, use to watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report, but I only did it for the humor aspect, not really to gain knowledge of the world around me. As for any form of news, I typically don't do it that much. I'll usually check something out if my friends posted something on facebook about it or I see it somewhere else. If it peaks my interest, I'll look it up for greater detail.

I get my news from youtube subscriptions.

That too, I have several youtube subscriptions in which they often discuss current events.

WebDudette
02-28-2012, 04:30 AM
I listen to NPR and spend a lot of time on reddit, that's where I get pretty much all of my news from.

bighead384
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Does anyone like Democracy Now? I used to listen to their Podcast everyday. I think they do a good job, but sometimes they focus too much on shit I don't really care about. It's occasionally has too much of a 'ultra-compassionate liberal' bias to it. But overall, it's good, and I have found that I like their coverage more than other news outlets. For example, they did a much better and more accurate job with the Gaza flotilla raid in 2010 than mainstream sources. That's what turned me on to them.

Speaking of being turned on, they should get a sexy news anchor. Amy Goodman...WOLF.

The news is a conspiracy designed to keep people stupid. I learned this when I took my intro to journalism class and found out that making money is actually one of the goals of network television, so they have no integrity. And then I watched that clip of Jon Stewart on Crossfire, which cemented all of my doubts. So logically, the only reliable place to get the news is from fringe blogs run by armchair journalists who aren't just out to delude all of the sheeple, because it's not like arbitrarily calling everyone "sheeple" is also manipulative. Obviously you can see that they have way more integrity than the mainstream liberal media, or else your a fucking moron. Voat Ron Paul 2012.Lol. Uh, DRUDGE REPORT.

mario_spaghettio
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I always get a good laugh out of the idiot Americans who think they're smart because they get their news from the BBC.

T-6005
02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Does anyone like Democracy Now? I used to listen to their Podcast everyday. I think they do a good job, but sometimes they focus too much on shit I don't really care about. It's occasionally has too much of a 'ultra-compassionate liberal' bias to it.

I like Democracy Now, and I do listen to the podcast every day. I get most of my local news from BlogTO, the Torontoist and general sources like CP24. Otherwise I read the Huffington Post, Huffington Post France, and I'll read a few columns a week from CounterPunch or Antiwar.com (though the libertarian bias on that one often annoys me, it's good as a source of analysis).

I used to occasionally read the Toronto Star as well when I got it for free, but it's not a great newspaper.

WebDudette
02-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I always get a good laugh out of the idiot Americans who think they're smart because they get their news from the BBC.

I don't really believe that, but I suppose it's worth mentioning that NPR's news is actually BBC. I like listening to BBC because of how ridiculously diverse it is. I guess what I am trying to say is, I love the accents.

WebDudette
02-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I don't really believe that, but I suppose it's worth mentioning that NPR's news is actually BBC. I like listening to BBC because of how ridiculously diverse it is. I guess what I am trying to say is, I love the accents.

Actually, this isn't true, my mistake. NPR has it's own news in the day time, and it's own different shows. Then late at night and early in the morning the same local station that hosts NPR hosts BBC news.

Llamas
03-01-2012, 06:00 AM
I can't imagine why any American who watches or reads news from top news providers, and who has seen BBC news, would actively dislike BBC news. BBC is really nothing special in itself, as it's very similar to most other European news broadcasts... but it's the only one that's in English. I never saw BBC growing up, but I remember when I was 19 and I first saw a German news broadcast, my first reaction was, "Whoa. They talk about things that have nothing to do with their country!! That's awesome!" Something like 30% of the broadcast had to do with Germany, and the rest was international. The bit of American news that's international is always about the middle east (our oil, our war!) or some huge storm that hit Japan or Haiti. If you want to be informed, why wouldn't you want to be informed about MORE of the world?

I guess, unless you're a Libertarian and think that the US can stand entirely on its own and doesn't need the rest of the world.