PDA

View Full Version : tell me I'm not the only one

killer_queen
03-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I think we should stop with this nostalgia thing for now because it's probably boring the newer members and we should keep some of it for a couple of years later or we won't have anything to talk about in the future.

So instead of this I'm giving you a great chance to discuss about one of my personal problems. I am a patient person normally but when I'm reading a novel I just can't stop myself, I always take a peak of the ending. Every time I buy a new book I promise myself not to do it and unless I have arranged someone to stop me I do it again. And since there are some quite good readers on bbs I'm sure they can tell me if I'm taking all the joy of the reading or not. I mean, obviously it does when reading a detective story or something like that but would it affect the experience of reading if the book doesn't have a surprise ending? And please, tell me I'm not the only one who does that.

Jojan
03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
You are not the only one.

yarock
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I think the last time I do that was around when the 4th book of HP series came out. And I'm remembering some of it. It was like Hagrid saying something similar to 'when it'll come out, we'll face it'. And I don't always remember the exact sayings at the end of the books I read.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I think we should stop with this nostalgia thing for now because it's probably boring the newer members and we should keep some of it for a couple of years later or we won't have anything to talk about in the future.

Eh, fuck that. A lot of older members have started posting again recently, so you can only expect us to behave this way. I see threads that bore me every day and I just don't click on 'em, but I still post here. Anyone is more than welcome to make new threads if they have something that they want to talk about.

As for the book thing, I don't really do it because I've never had a habit of doing that. But with TV... ever since I got a Netflix subscription and started watching TV on the Internet, I can't help but spoil something because I've long been in the habit of looking everything up online. So anytime I see an actor I think I recognize, I go to their IMDB, or when I have an innocent question about the show, I'll go to Wikipedia, and often end up spoiling something in the process.

Defender
03-04-2012, 02:51 AM
I am a patient person normally but when I'm reading a novel I just can't stop myself, I always take a peak of the ending. Every time I buy a new book I promise myself not to do it and unless I have arranged someone to stop me I do it again. And since there are some quite good readers on bbs I'm sure they can tell me if I'm taking all the joy of the reading or not. I mean, obviously it does when reading a detective story or something like that but would it affect the experience of reading if the book doesn't have a surprise ending? And please, tell me I'm not the only one who does that.

I think you 'll never stop doing this. It's an obsession. It's true that you destroy the novel. If somebody reveals to me the end of a novel or a movie I won't start reading or watching.

the_real_potomek
03-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I used to read the ending of the book when I was younger, now I force myself not to do that. When the book is really interesting, not knowing the ending makes me read faster. Though sometimes I cheat myself a little and read some random sentences or paragraphs from further parts of the book, but not the ending itself.

personal_loans_1
03-04-2012, 05:40 AM
If book is good in between I don't mind knowing its ending. It sometimes makes me even more curious in a way 'what happened so it ended like this?', but it depends on book. I almost always read only the last sentence. Hardly ever more, and it hardly ever reveals what really happened so it's not that disturbing. [Oh, or in other words just like potomek said, fuck being late. ;/ ]
Last time I've read more of an ending was Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. I wanted to check if it refers to the beginning and it does, really nicely, and geez I have to come back to this book.
I'd never spoil Harry Potter this way.

holland25
03-04-2012, 06:19 AM
I do not read books, but I've got a tendency to ALWAYS download and watch a season finale of any series I like (I mean, here in Slovakia the series are broadcasted 2 years after their completion). So I watch a few episodes on TV and if I like them, I download the season finale. That sucks cause I always know what's going to happen, but I simply can't help myself.

Baldwin
03-04-2012, 09:05 AM
If there's a character so horrendously annoying they make me grit my teeth I'll sometimes skip to the end to make sure they die or get raped, so that I can bear to read the rest of it.

Otherwise, no. That's a pretty weird habit.

JohnnyNemesis
03-04-2012, 11:38 AM
So instead of this I'm giving you a great chance to discuss about one of my personal problems.

Wait, how is this not nostalgic?

OOOOH RELATIVELY MILD BUT STINGING BURN

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I used to do that. Now I just read non-fiction so I already know the end before I get there.

samseby
03-05-2012, 07:48 AM
I usually read the last pages too. It's what's happening inbetween the first couple of pages and the last that is interesting and makes me curious most of the time.

I'd never watch the ending of movies / TV series in advance though. Weird, now that I think about it ...

Llamas
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I mostly read historical stuff, so this doesn't directly apply to me. I can only respond regarding the few shows I watch, and I occasionally see a spoiler here and there and get pissed that I let myself see it... but otherwise, I watch shows in order from the first episode and never look ahead.

Isolated Fury
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Most of the books I read don't exactly have "endings." For the most part, I can't stand reading fiction. This brings me back to my previous statement. Most non-fiction/biographies/documentaries don't have an ending popular in fiction. You either already know the ending, or the ending is already stated in the beginning.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
^What he said.

killer_queen
03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm envious of the ones who read non-fiction. Unlike Isolated Fury, I love fiction and non-fiction bores me to tears. Last year I realized that I was at the beginning of being an uncultured person so forced myself to read at least one book a month on some topic that interested me but it didn't work. My bookcase is full of unfinished non-fictions. Whenever I try to finish one of them suddenly I start to think about how lovely it would be to start a new Philip K Dick novel.