PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl as a National Holiday?

Mota Boy
02-10-2005, 12:13 PM
I read an interesting opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago advocating making the Super Bowl a national holiday. Arguably, it's the biggest non-holiday out there, complete with its own traditions and history. It embraces many great aspects of American life - football (even more than baseball a uniquely American sport), television, beer (Budweiser is the only beer that advertises in the big game, no fancy foreign brands or French wines), gambling on the game (you can bet online on everything from how the coin toss will go to whether or not a streaker will make an appearance.

Now, Memorial Day and Labor Day nicely bookend the summer, but nobody celebrates anything on those holidays beyond good weather (if applicable). And Presidents day... who honestly gives a flying fuck about Washington and Lincoln and the rest on that day?

The Super Bowl, however, is young - under forty years old. It comes prepackaged with parties and drinking and good times and a multi-hour ceremony. It's secular and family-friendly and Americans are conditioned to watch TV on Monday night. On one hand, it's kinda jokey, but on the other... I think it's at least worth talking about.

Betty
02-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Another good party-friendly holiday is definitely New Years.

And possibly the May 2-4.

wheelchairman
02-10-2005, 06:26 PM
I've always liked May 1st, big celebration here in Denmark. Actually most of Europe. I think in America, it's called National Diplomats Day or something stupid like that.

Not Ozymandias
02-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I got out of work, so I don't care.

I will say we need revolving holidays. The ones we have are soooo predictable.

Little_Miss_1565
02-10-2005, 11:23 PM
What's the point of having a Sunday as a national holiday? Unless of course you mean having the Monday following being Super Bowl Observed, so's we can all nurse our hangovers in peace.

Mota Boy
02-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah, I referred to that part, but forgot to actually mention it: the columnist suggested moving the game day to Monday,

And Betty, other party-friendly holidays include St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, Christmas, Fat Tuesday, Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Friday and Saturday.

Betty
02-11-2005, 04:09 PM
But tons of those aren't even holidays! St Patrick's day or Halloween and where am I? Mostly likely in night class or something.

SicN Twisted
02-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Reagan named May 1st "Freedom day." a day for AMericans to appreciate their "unique" freedom.

How Orwellian.

Mota Boy
02-12-2005, 03:39 PM
But tons of those aren't even holidays! St Patrick's day or Halloween and where am I? Mostly likely in night class or something.

Jigga what? St. Paddy's day definately depends on where you live - if you happen to be in a major city at the time, specifically Boston, the day is huge. And Halloween, depending on which crowd your with, is one of the best party days of the year.

RXP
02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Betty if the Leafs make the Stanley Cup finals (hahahahaha) it'd be a holiday in TO for sure.

HornyPope
02-12-2005, 07:30 PM
The Laffs plan a victory parade (and a subsequent holiday) the minute they enter the playoffs. Whether they actually win the cup (they won't) is of minor importance.

"Raaahhhh we beat the Senators, give us the trophy!!!!! What do you mean we need 12 more victories to claim the cup. We wants it now!!!!"

To Betty's credit though, she's a Habs fan on her dad's side. Fuck yeah! *High five*.

Betty
02-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Haha... *high five*

You should see the paraphernalia in our basement. My dad gets all this free hockey stuff from salesmen.

My boyfriend's a Leafs fan though... and since I personally don't really care one way or another...

HornyPope
02-13-2005, 05:51 PM
"Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you."

Forget your boyfriend. His opinion is irrelevant. From this day forward I peg you a Montreal Canadiens fan in a sacred tradition of your family.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jan2004/LeafBlower.jpg