PDA

View Full Version : I HATE talking to my parents on the phone

bighead384
03-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Isn't that the worst?

Just shut up.

You ran out of things to say, mom. Accept it, and move the fuck on. Hang up.

mrconeman
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
I hate talking to anyone on the phone.

bighead384
03-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I hate talking to anyone on the phone.

People just can't accept that a phone conversation should be short, perhaps with only one major point having been discussed. It's no wonder text messaging has taken over.

mrconeman
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Seriously, a phone call should have a direct purpose, and deal with and resolve said purpose in under a minute, or your wasting my fucking time.

I'm not anti-social, nor do I have a problem just talking shit for hours in person, or even online, but you can't just "hang out" over the phone.

Isolated Fury
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
On the flip side to that, I think text messages should be restricted to casual conversation only. If there is something important to discuss, regardless of how long it's going to take, call the person. My ex insists on texting me about issues regarding our daughter and our house, and it pisses me off. The same conversation that takes three hours to discuss through texts would only take two minutes on a call. Also, people assume a different personality through texting because they are more detached from the other person. You can inflate your ego to extreme amounts this way, and a conflict is more likely to occur.

I hate talking on the phone. I hate texting. They each have their own flaws and merits.

killer_queen
03-13-2012, 10:51 AM
My father is terrible on the phone. When I have something urgent to say he thinks it's amusing to say "yeah yeah" and hang up. And when I'm really busy or under stress he thinks it's the best time to make drunk calls to his daughter and keep her on the phone for 10 minutes saying "wait wait, I have important things to say" and nothing else.

Luckily I don't talk to my mother for 6 years or something so we don't have to talk to each other on the phone regularly. She calls me like, once in a few months and those calls usually end with both of us screaming, calling each other whores and doing other fun things.

I love talking to the other members of my family though. I often call my aunt and tell her things like what I had for lunch and sometimes my brother to say "Have you seen the last episode of the Office?". And this one is a bit embarrassing but sometimes he puts my cat on the phone and I just listen to her making cat noises.

Jojan
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Why do you hate that? Why do you waste you time on thinking about that? Your focus should be elsewhere. There are better things to hate.

jacknife737
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
I hate talking on the phone as well. I much prefer text/email as much as possible.

Though i don't exactly hate talking to my parents, i tend to try and keep phone calls to them close to the five minute range. Just a quick "how are you/dad/the cat/the weather.... ok, bye".

Llamas
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I just plain hate mobile phones. 99% of the reason I ever carry my phone on me is for the clock (I hate watches even more), calendar, and calculator.

I mostly hate phones because of how overused they are these days. If I forget my phone at home, people are on my case, "omg I called you why didn't you answer??" A lot of times I just don't answer because I wasn't expecting the call, and I don't feel like talking on the phone. If they call again, then I answer.

I also hate how stupid people act about their phone. I've been ridiculed for and had to defend not having a smart phone. I just don't give a shit. I don't *want* a smart phone. If you have one and like it, good for you. But shut up about it unless people ask. Jesus.

I basically call people if I'm looking for a place and can't find it, or if I'm trying to set up a meeting or get-together. That's about it.

Texting is for short, quick messages. If I'm running severely late and someone is waiting for me, or a quick update about a time or a location. That's about it.

Everything else can be done by email. Cause it's free and I don't have to type on a tiny little keyboard.

Oh yeah, I spend about 8 euros a month for my phone usage. Ballin'.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
On the flip side to that, I think text messages should be restricted to casual conversation only. If there is something important to discuss, regardless of how long it's going to take, call the person. My ex insists on texting me about issues regarding our daughter and our house, and it pisses me off. The same conversation that takes three hours to discuss through texts would only take two minutes on a call. Also, people assume a different personality through texting because they are more detached from the other person. You can inflate your ego to extreme amounts this way, and a conflict is more likely to occur.

I hate talking on the phone. I hate texting. They each have their own flaws and merits.

What IF said, 100%.

Little_Miss_1565
03-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I had to think for a second about "nether lip." While "nether" isn't technically incorrect, what some refer to as their "nether region" (or "nethers") for short is not on their face...

But back on topic, I don't much like talking on the phone, but my boyfriend and I were long-distance for 9 months. Phones and Skype were pretty crucial to make that work. It's more about who you're talking to than the act or device itself.

Llamas
03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I had to think for a second about "nether lip." While "nether" isn't technically incorrect, what some refer to as their "nether region" (or "nethers") for short is not on their face...

Colloquially, "nether" is connected with "region" and refers to our groinal areas, but "nether" officially means "lower" or that it's "below"; cuz, u no, vags and dicks are lower than most other bodily regions.

Little_Miss_1565
03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
....isn't that what I just said?

bighead384
03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
It's more about who you're talking to than the act or device itself.
This is true in most cases, but it's different with parents. When it comes to parents, the fact that many of them feel some sort of obligation to have a 'good and lengthy' conversation (even if that means forcing it) makes things suck. And since it's over the phone, it's even more awkward and forced because you can't stop talking on the phone for any prolonged period of time or it seems weird.

Llamas
03-15-2012, 05:11 PM
....isn't that what I just said?

Wow, I totally misread your post. I shouldn't post when in bed, sick. Although then I'm even more bored. I simply missed the double negation and thought you said, "while nether isn't technically correct". My bad.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I hate talking to people on the phone if the conversation lasts more than a minute and a half.

Retard
03-15-2012, 05:22 PM
The only people I've talked to on the phone for more than a few seconds are usually my father(goddamn can he talk on the phone) my mom, a couple of exes and people I prank phone call.

Llamas
03-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Yesterday on the train, I sat across from this girl who was probably in her early twenties, and she couldn't put her phone down. I thought of this thread. She'd hang up with one person, and then search for someone else to call. I didn't understand what her conversations were about, but I heard a few awkward sighs of silence - those are the WORST, and the ultimate sign it's time to hang the fuck up. After like 20-25 minutes of this, I guess she'd exhausted her list of people to call, and sat with her phone in her hands, looking hopelessly lost and bored. Poor thing.

BagOfShenanigans
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I hate talking to people on the phone if the conversation lasts more than a minute and a half.

^This.

That's twice now that you've said exactly what I was going to/too lazy to say.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
^This.

That's twice now that you've said exactly what I was going to/too lazy to say.
When was the other time?

It happens to me all the time.

BagOfShenanigans
03-15-2012, 07:53 PM
When was the other time?

It happens to me all the time.

http://www.offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1450051&postcount=8

XYlophonetreeZ
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM

If it's unscheduled, then I agree with this. I don't mind having a short conversation with someone if they can't text for a good reason, like if they're driving or if their phone can't send them.

But otherwise, I think short phone conversations are even more annoying than long ones. Anything under a minute and a half can be conveyed through texting, but sometimes it's necessary to talk for longer and that's what the phone's good for. I do like to schedule my phone conversations though. Usually only talk to parents, co-workers, or friends who are out of town on the phone.

mrconeman
03-16-2012, 05:17 AM
If it's unscheduled, then I agree with this. I don't mind having a short conversation with someone if they can't text for a good reason, like if they're driving or if their phone can't send them.

Seeing people on the phone while driving makes me want to wreck this fuckers ride, guess I got a bad habit, yeah, yeah.

Seriously though.

WebDudette
03-16-2012, 05:33 AM
I don't mind talking on the phone, there are a few people I'll talk to for a long fucking time, like an hour or more, with gaps of silence lasting minutes. However, if you're not one of these people, I don't want to talk to you for more than the amount of time it takes you to answer the question I called to ask. There former people are typically people I enjoy talking to forever in person, the latter are people I typically people I probably won't even hang out with alone.

Texting is amazing. Seriously, texting and phones with full keyboards are a couple of my favorite recent inventions. I'll text people shit I think is funny at 3am, because why the fuck not? I often to forget to text people back though, and then feel like an asshole when I realize I didn't respond to that text from 3 days ago. For the most part though, as long as their is some form of conversation to be had, I'm down to text. If it's important or six pages long though, just give me a call.