PDA

View Full Version : Irish People

bighead384
03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKbcrC0krQ

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Isolated Fury
03-17-2012, 12:40 PM
One of my top ten favorite movies right there.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 01:28 PM
This is all I have to say about St. Patrick's Day. http://offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=36928

XYlophonetreeZ
03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Irish people are fucking annoying (in the US).

No one cares that you have Irish blood. Extra hate to anyone, everyone, and everything in Boston. I don't have a problem with St. Patrick's Day, because it's a holiday and holidays are about celebrating your culture. But Christ, fuck those people who act like EVERY day is St. Patrick's Day and excessively celebrate the one iota of culture that they possess all the time when it's not even a culture that would otherwise be relevant to their lives.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 01:55 PM

No one cares that you have Irish blood. Extra hate to anyone, everyone, and everything in Boston. I don't have a problem with St. Patrick's Day, because it's a holiday and holidays are about celebrating your culture. But Christ, fuck those people who act like EVERY day is St. Patrick's Day and excessively celebrate the one iota of culture that they possess all the time when it's not even a culture that would otherwise be relevant to their lives.

Americans who do this regarding their roots are obnoxious no matter what. Irish, Polish and Italian are three of the worst offenders, though.

bighead384
03-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Americans who do this regarding their roots are obnoxious no matter what. Irish, Polish and Italian are three of the worst offenders, though.

Colored folks have had the most adversity to overcome and thus have had to stick together the most. Furthermore, they've had more of a reason to assert their pride.

I think you're... being a big city liberal and are wrong about this.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Colored folks have had the most adversity to overcome and thus have had to stick together the most. Furthermore, they've had more of a reason to assert their pride.

I don't know any 3rd or 4th generation african-americans who big-up Africa and constantly talk about their Africanness, despite never having been there and not speaking the language of where they're from. Never once.

I think you're being a big city liberal and are wrong about this.

What was the point of that?

bighead384
03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know any 3rd or 4th generation african-americans who big-up Africa and constantly talk about their Africanness, despite never having been there and not speaking the language of where they're from. Never once.

What was the point of that?
Well, it's more about black pride with black folk. I call it like I see it, I'm not afraid to have an opinion about them coloreds.

lol. I dunno.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, it's more about black pride with black folk. I call it like I see it, I'm not afraid to have an opinion about them coloreds.

lol. I dunno.

So, what you're saying, is that what you're saying has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about. That's pretty cool, I guess.

Little_Miss_1565
03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Bighead! There are apparently no black people in the suburbs. #paptown

Llamas
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I call it like I see it, I'm not afraid to have an opinion about them coloreds.

http://i44.tinypic.com/uu4xt.jpg

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Italians are the worst around here. Don't get a lot of "colored folk".

Isolated Fury
03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Coming from an Italian family, I can attest to the annoyances everyone is talking about. My father is third generation Italian and insists on pronouncing pasta dishes like he's in the old country. It's annoying, and I understand where everyone is coming from.

As for other cultures, Irish people are a dirty scab on the celebratory calendar. They're the most obnoxious group of merrymakers. I don't own a green shirt for a reason.

bighead384
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
In public, I always except the worst from blacks, and usually hispanics and italians as well. Italians near where I live are often lousy to deal with when you go out. Not that I judge their character as being more likely to suck, just their manners in public. I will always pat myself on the back for having the balls to tell it like it is with things like this. I'm aware of the big city liberal response to opinions like this, and I don't give a fuck. lol.

Oh hi black person walking in the middle of the road while I'm driving. Let's make this interesting. Don't move over all the way like anyone else would! Stand your ground!

Look, all I'm saying is...meet one of em', and I won't judge them any different character wise. See one of em' at Wal-Mart...I'm avoiding em' as much as I fucking can, lol.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm aware of the big city liberal response to opinions like this, and I don't give a fuck. lol.

Considering that pretty much everyone who posts here disagrees with you and is a "big city liberal", why do you even post your opinions here if you "don't give a fuck" what we think?

bighead384
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Considering that pretty much everyone who posts here disagrees with you and is a "big city liberal", why do you even post your opinions here if you "don't give a fuck" what we think?

You suck..

XYlophonetreeZ
03-18-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm not afraid to have an opinion about them coloreds.

People generally aren't, on the Internet.

Also, it's fucking hilarious how many pathetic and pussified qualifiers you use when you're writing something "edgy":

I call it like I see it

tell it like it is

I don't give a fuck.

Look, all I'm saying is...

Now those are some catch-all phrases that can validly deflect any and all possible criticisms! What the fuck's a man to say to those zingers?

I think we're all pretty clear now that bighead does what he wants, does what he feels like. Let's not bother him anymore.

Llamas
03-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Also, it's fucking hilarious how many pathetic and pussified qualifiers you use when you're writing something "edgy":

Now those are some catch-all phrases that can validly deflect any and all possible criticisms! What the fuck's a man to say to those zingers?

I think we're all pretty clear now that bighead does what he wants, does what he feels like. Let's not bother him anymore.

I'm 100% convinced now that bighead is really just trolling and trying to instigate. There's no way he believes the shit he says, especially when surrounding it with so many "I call it like I see it" remarks. It's become painfully obvious. I've thought this for quite a while, but it's now a sure thing.

mrconeman
03-18-2012, 07:34 AM
No one cares that you have Irish blood.

Fucking plastic Paddies. These people are not Irish, and you have this Irishman's permission to tell them so. Look, being proud of your Irish roots is cool, and you should be, your ancestors dealt with some serious bullshit, and moved to a better life, so you could have one at all. But you aren't Irish. Your great great great great great (x1000) grandfather/grandmother were Irish. You are an American. Get over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSf2Jmekv4
I've posted this about 3 times on this board now, but it's lyrics sum up my feelings on this particular issue so well.

Llamas
03-18-2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSf2Jmekv4
I've posted this about 3 times on this board now, but it's lyrics sum up my feelings on this particular issue so well.

Hadn't heard this before. Really great way of putting it.

mrconeman
03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
The first verse is just completely perfect, and even just the title "Each Dollar a Bullet" just puts it so vividly, it's hard to see it any other way. I love the Stiff Little Fingers, for me them and The Clash were the only early punk bands with a real musical worth to them.

Anyway, fuck Bighead and his crazy bullshit, fuck plastic Paddies too.
I got desperately drunk last night, it was fun, and isn't that what St. Paddy's is all about?

Llamas
03-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Honestly, I'm not even Irish and this stuff annoys the hell out of me. My ex-sister-in-law is the worst offender I know. She's a nice person and all, but 100% pure American. Doesn't speak any other languages, doesn't own a passport, does manual labor for Target, one of the US's biggest corporations... Yesterday, she changed her profile pic to this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/423619_2841479440537_1365850999_32096912_184808097 1_n.jpg

This is one of her tattoos. Seriously.

Then she posted these photos:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423244_2841491040827_1365850999_32096918_214170879 3_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/423244_2841491080828_1365850999_32096919_170681555 7_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/p480x480/25704_1232784664173_1365850999_30525971_5308596_n. jpg

Status update: May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent. ~Irish toast~ Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Let's get to some drinkin' and fightin'.

It's not even the fact that those pictures aren't funny. It's that she's NOT IRISH. Jesus. At least visit the country once and be able to point out an Irish accent (and not think it's Scottish) before you try to claim you're Irish.

mrconeman
03-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I made something yesterday that probably applies.
You should just post this to her Facebook wall.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425579_411769032171862_100000163067311_1919927_783 173422_n.jpg

Llamas
03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Crap, whatever you just posted isn't showing up... :(

Edit: you just posted it on my FB? Hahahahaahaha

bighead384
03-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Well I was drunk when I wrote that. But more importantly, I was associating my actual opinions with the type of thing that an ignorant redneck would say, so I was using similar language. But I definitely believe what I've said about certain races and the likelihood of poor public etiquette. And I'm proud of it. As long as I'm not judging/making assumptions about character, who gives a fuck?

mrconeman
03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Well I was drunk when I wrote that.

You were drunk on St. Patrick's day. Hey, so was I.

Isn't that what St. Patrick's day is all about?

Llamas
03-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Go away, bighead. Coneman and I were having a good conversation til you dropped in.

bighead384
03-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Go away, bighead. Coneman and I were having a good conversation til you dropped in.

Fuck you I won't do what you tell me.

mrconeman
03-18-2012, 08:21 AM
So I'm hungover this afternoon, quite a bit, but I had a trip to the shop earlier to pick up something for mum as it's Mother's day. I also got some chocolate for myself, I'll boil the kettle soon to make tea, and have my chocolate, I will enjoy it, it will hopefully cure my ailments. I don't like being hungover.

But hey, isn't that what the day after St Patrick's day is all about?

Llamas
03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
So I'm hungover this afternoon, quite a bit, but I had a trip to the shop earlier to pick up something for mum as it's Mother's day. I also got some chocolate for myself, I'll boil the kettle soon to make tea, and have my chocolate, I will enjoy it, it will hopefully cure my ailments. I don't like being hungover.

But hey, isn't that what the day after St Patrick's day is all about?

Lol @ mother's day falling the day after St. Patrick's day. What a great setup for moms - get wasted Saturday night, and then Sunday you get waited on hand and foot. Breakfast in bed after a night of drinking?? Hell yeah!

Retard
03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
I went to a St. Patrick's Day Party. I got drunk, I a tiny green skull on my Hoodie. nothing spectacular. My last name is Leahy, but not even my Grandparents were from Ireland. My greatgrandmother was Canadian before she was Irish.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Since it seems as if everyone has been drunk recently, I'll offer my sober thoughts to this.

What I think I should do in the world:
Don't use race or nationality to have preconceived ideas about someone I've just met.

What I actually do:
Create stereotypes before meeting people but balance that with giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We're all humans, but many humans who have a similar characteristic or come from a similar location end up having the same personality traits. I'm kinda with what Bighead said when he wasn't drunk.

I wouldn't harass someone for assuming things about people because of their nationality, because often those assumptions are correct. Although I think it's best to not take any of that into account when getting to know someone.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I was associating my actual opinions with the type of thing that an ignorant redneck would say
There's a difference?

bighead384
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Since it seems as if everyone has been drunk recently, I'll offer my sober thoughts to this.

What I think I should do in the world:
Don't use race or nationality to have preconceived ideas about someone I've just met.

What I actually do:
Create stereotypes before meeting people but balance that with giving them the benefit of the doubt.

We're all humans, but many humans who have a similar characteristic or come from a similar location end up having the same personality traits. I'm kinda with what Bighead said when he wasn't drunk.

I wouldn't harass someone for assuming things about people because of their nationality, because often those assumptions are correct. Although I think it's best to not take any of that into account when getting to know someone.
Right. It all comes down to social etiquette and economic class for me, to put it in the simplest terms. Blacks often have terrible social etiquette as a result of conditions they've dealt with. So when I'm in public, I often try to avoid dealing with black people because there's a decent chance that they will do something ignorant that pisses me off. Racism is a complicated issue, but I think intellectuals will continue to overlook the fact that black people often being rude in public perpetuates the pushback that they get. But again, obviously this isn't a main cause for racism, it just perpetuates it.

To be white and not racist means to have these inevitable unpleasant experiences with black people, but to explain them in a different way than race. Can't just pretend everyone acts the same when it comes to manners; it's unrealistic.

Yes, I'm proud of myself for having this opinion. And yes, I will likely assume that you're lying to yourself if you don't sympathize with this opinion.

I see this race debate not only as an interesting social issue, but a chance to see how honest people are willing to be at risk of defying conventional or "tolerant" views. I suppose that's why I've bought it up several times.

Alison
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten drunk on St. Patrick's Day. Yesterday was no different.