PDA

View Full Version : Coolio resented "Amish Paradise"

bighead384
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Coolio resented Weird Al Yankovich for doing a parody of his song "Gangsta's Paradise". He felt the subject matter of his song was too serious to make light of.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_Paradise#Controversy

Discuss.

Llamas
03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Nobody cares about Coolio. That is all.

bighead384
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

That's bullshit.

XYlophonetreeZ
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Coolio's a legit rapper. Always has been.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-17-2012, 05:48 PM
That's the only Coolio song I know. I wouldn't know of his existence if it wasn't for Weird Al

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeee got the gangsta walk, gangsta talk

Only song I knew by him

0r4ng3
03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
But...he's Kwanzaa-bot!

http://theinfosphere.org/images/8/80/Kwanzaa-Bot.jpg

Retard
03-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Yea, but now there isn't any beef about it. He's been over it for probably almost a decade by now.

Llamas
03-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Coolio's a legit rapper. Always has been.

I have no opinion on whether or not he's a good rapper, as I've never listened to anything by him besides Gangsta's Paradise. He's just a dick who's really not relevant anymore, so I doubt anyone really cares what he has to say about Amish Paradise.

bighead384
03-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I have no opinion on whether or not he's a good rapper, as I've never listened to anything by him besides Gangsta's Paradise. He's just a dick who's really not relevant anymore, so I doubt anyone really cares what he has to say about Amish Paradise.

Easy to say that in your position. How would YOU feel if you were Coolio?

Llamas
03-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Easy to say that in your position. How would YOU feel if you were Coolio?

Like a rich prick who robbed a boutique like a prick.

Little_Miss_1565
03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Llamas, FFS, stop feeding it.

Llamas
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I seriously don't "feed" it any more than you do or anyone else here...

jacknife737
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Weird Al and Coolio? Very current stuff: somebody should make a thread about the rise of boy bands next.

Llamas
03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Weird Al and Coolio? Very current stuff: somebody should make a thread about the rise of boy bands next.

Who's better - Nsync or Backstreet Boys?

I say Backstreet Boys; they were the original and Nsync ripped them off! I know you're all thinking it, but I'm the only one with the balls to say it. Fuck you if you try to disagree.

Omni
03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm gonna go with Five and 98 Degrees on this one.

Llamas
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna go with Five and 98 Degrees on this one.

5ive is debatable (if you at least spell their fuckin' name right). 98 Degrees, though... what the fuck. Both their hits were the same exact melody! Hellllllzzzz no.

jacknife737
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees? How could you both forget the powerhouse that is B44

And their their innuendo-laced anthem "Get Down":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97CtEReZEaQ

bighead384
03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
The girl who liked 98 degrees was so alternative and different.

This thread was so obviously a damned joke you fucks. How can you not get that?

Jojan
03-21-2012, 05:49 AM
Markoolio > Coolio.

Omni
03-21-2012, 09:27 AM
5ive is debatable (if you at least spell their fuckin' name right). 98 Degrees, though... what the fuck. Both their hits were the same exact melody! Hellllllzzzz no.

I actually owned their debut self-titled album on cassette, and though you're technically right, it had "Five" written on it several times.

I just remembered how much I used to love that song "Slam Dunk (Da Funk)."

Retard
03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
The only two I've ever heard of was Nsync and the Backstreet BOys. Oh and 98 degrees. so three I guess.

Omni
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
The only two I've ever heard of was Nsync and the Backstreet BOys. Oh and 98 degrees. so three I guess.

"5ive" was actually only semi-popular for one album over in the States. I just looked it up and their debut album is Platinum - which doesn't seem nearly popular enough considering that in the late '90s and early '00s, record sales were at an all-time high and that boyband stuff was what shifted the units. *NSYNC's second album actually holds the record for fastest selling record of all time (2x Platinum in its first week) and I think the Backstreet Boys have like two or three Diamond certified (10x Platinum) albums.

This was 5ive's most popular song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2ucjRvgJA)

Llamas
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
"5ive" was actually only semi-popular for one album over in the States. I just looked it up and their debut album is Platinum - which doesn't seem nearly popular enough considering that in the late '90s and early '00s, record sales were at an all-time high and that boyband stuff was what shifted the units. *NSYNC's second album actually holds the record for fastest selling record of all time (2x Platinum in its first week) and I think the Backstreet Boys have like two or three Diamond certified (10x Platinum) albums.

This was 5ive's most popular song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2ucjRvgJA)

With music video is better. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpdcKmaHk_s)
Cuz dancing in a bowling alley in your snowpants is the way to snag the ladiez.

5ive was definitely the least attractive group of boys in a boy band. That's for sure.

Second verse, girl.

jacknife737
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Are there any of them still around in the States/North America?

I know in the UK/Ireland new ones still gets churned out every year or so.

Omni
03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
The members of *NSYNC have gone on record to say they still owe their label one more album in their deal, so it's inevitable that they'll have to reunite some day, at least for like a b-sides album or something. When Timberlake's solo and acting career gained steam, they called it quits. I guess they realized that they got out while the gettin' was good and that a reunion would just be disastrous since the "Male Vocal Group" is laughably out of style. Plus, that style of music has a very definite and specific shelf life. Once you look old enough to grow a beard, gain weight, or begin to look "manly" in any way whatsoever, no one has any interest in you.

bighead384
03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
The members of *NSYNC have gone on record to say they still owe their label one more album in their deal, so it's inevitable that they'll have to reunite some day, at least for like a b-sides album or something. When Timberlake's solo and acting career gained steam, they called it quits. I guess they realized that they got out while the gettin' was good and that a reunion would just be disastrous since the "Male Vocal Group" is laughably out of style. Plus, that style of music has a very definite and specific shelf life. Once you look old enough to grow a beard, gain weight, or begin to look "manly" in any way whatsoever, no one has any interest in you.

That kind of raises the question: What was their label thinking?

Llamas
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I guess they realized that they got out while the gettin' was good and that a reunion would just be disastrous since the "Male Vocal Group" is laughably out of style. Plus, that style of music has a very definite and specific shelf life. Once you look old enough to grow a beard, gain weight, or begin to look "manly" in any way whatsoever, no one has any interest in you.

You are so sorely mistaken. (https://www.facebook.com/backstreetboys?ref=ts&__adt=2)

The Backstreet Boys reunited - one member short - like 6 years ago, and they've been churning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVe80iZtlYU&ob=av2e) out lame songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDF_QcsKVI&ob=av2e) ever since. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRP4shFX0g&ob=av2n)

Llamas
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Actually watch that last video. There's not much more awkward than watching a group of adults in their thirties dance like that. The one guy is balding. Seriously.

Their current ages: 37, 36, 34, 32.

Omni
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
You are so sorely mistaken. (https://www.facebook.com/backstreetboys?ref=ts&__adt=2)

The Backstreet Boys reunited - one member short - like 6 years ago, and they've been churning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVe80iZtlYU&ob=av2e) out lame songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDF_QcsKVI&ob=av2e) ever since. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRP4shFX0g&ob=av2n)

I am not mistaken. Look up the record sales for the Backstreet Boys. Even in an era of diminished sales, pop groups still go platinum and multi-platinum all the time. The Backstreet Boys' last effort didn't even reach 100K, I'm pretty sure. *NSYNC got out while the getting was good and laid low. The Backstreet Boys did not, and now we see what would have happened to *NSYNC and 98 Degrees if they had stuck around. I was full aware that the Backstreet Boys were still making "music."

And people are embarrassingly uninterested in the Backstreet Boys on every level personal and musical, because of every reason I listed.

Omni
03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I just looked up 98 Degrees, apparently they also have a reunion planned for the later half of 2012.

It's making me wonder if *NSYNC is really gone because of good sense, or just because Timberlake has outgrown them and they know they can't do it without him.

Llamas
03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I am not mistaken. Look up the record sales for the Backstreet Boys. Even in an era of diminished sales, pop groups still go platinum and multi-platinum all the time. The Backstreet Boys' last effort didn't even reach 100K, I'm pretty sure. *NSYNC got out while the getting was good and laid low. The Backstreet Boys did not, and now we see what would have happened to *NSYNC and 98 Degrees if they had stuck around. I was full aware that the Backstreet Boys were still making "music."

And people are embarrassingly uninterested in the Backstreet Boys on every level personal and musical, because of every reason I listed.

This is what you were mistaken about:

a reunion would just be disastrous since the "Male Vocal Group" is laughably out of style. Plus, that style of music has a very definite and specific shelf life. Once you look old enough to grow a beard, gain weight, or begin to look "manly" in any way whatsoever, no one has any interest in you.

Look at that BSB fan page; a photo got like 27,000 likes. We can ignore the 6 million likes, because there are people like me who "like" them for nostalgic reasons, and don't listen to their current stuff. However, plenty of people still listen to this bullshit... there's a reason the NKOTBSB tour has been soooo successful.

That second video I linked has 16 million views... I really don't think people are all that uninterested...

Llamas
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Plus I figured you were mistaken because jacknife asked if any of these groups are still making music, and you responded as though you didn't know bsb was, rather focusing on the possibility that Nsync might come back.

Omni
03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I haven't heard the Backstreet Boys on the radio since like 2005 - that's new or old stuff. Sure, maybe they're making money from tours, but I'm betting again that's for nostalgia reasons.

I just can't look at how mind-blowingly popular they used to be, and being able to call where they're at now "successful." I know success is very subjective and entirely in the eye of the beholder, but going from back-to-back albums that sold over a million their first week to being reduced to a nostalgia act who're lucky enough to have an audience still young enough (people in their mid-late twenties) to feel like going out to see them is a major fall from grace. Their singles aren't charting at all in the US or being certified through sales, their albums aren't selling, and they're just not being talked about. There is no buzz. They seem pretty backburner if you ask me.

EDIT: I'll admit, the 16 million views on Youtube is pretty impressive. That shocks me. However, I still find all of the Facebook likes to be inconsequential, Facebook is a gathering place ripe for groups like BSB to retain contact with fans, and people "Like" the most random shit all willy-nilly. People will have 2,000+ friends on Facebook and maybe only interact with 30 of them on even a semi-regular basis. It just seems like a terrible barometer for popularity considering how impersonal it is.

Llamas
03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I haven't heard the Backstreet Boys on the radio since like 2005 - that's new or old stuff. Sure, maybe they're making money from tours, but I'm betting again that's for nostalgia reasons.

I just can't look at how mind-blowingly popular they used to be, and being able to call where they're at now "successful." I know success is very subjective and entirely in the eye of the beholder, but going from back-to-back albums that sold over a million their first week to being reduced to a nostalgia act who're lucky enough to have an audience still young enough (people in their mid-late twenties) to feel like going out to see them is a major fall from grace. Their singles aren't charting at all in the US or being certified through sales, their albums aren't selling, and they're just not being talked about. There is no buzz. They seem pretty backburner if you ask me.

Oh, I'm not saying they're even a token as successful as they once were. They're not very famous anymore, though all their videos from the last 6 years have millions of views... I'd say that returning has probably been lucrative and not "disastrous". When you were already a shitty "band", how much worse can it get? It's not like returning is killing what they once were, or staining their name. They're just making more money off the shitty music they've always released; just not nearly as much money as they once were. I wouldn't call modern BSB really any less successful than modern Offspring, though - most Offspring fans have been here for ages, as well. Is their career disastrous? I don't think so...

Omni
03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
I suppose that's a pretty good point. Although, it must help tremendously when you're not aware that your band has been disastrous from the beginning until it's too late to care anymore :p

jacknife737
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I bet if you broke down the demographics of those youtube viewers 90% of them would be people in their mid to late 20s looking for a bit of nostalgia from their teens. I can't imagine them having any young fans.

Llamas
03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I suppose that's a pretty good point. Although, it must help tremendously when you're not aware that your band has been disastrous from the beginning until it's too late to care anymore :p

Hahaha exactly... ignorance is bliss ;) I bet BSB fans everywhere are like "LOL the Offspring still has nostalgia fans!!! Can't believe old guys trying to be "punk" is still appealing to anyone!"

Omni
03-22-2012, 05:26 PM
I bet if you broke down the demographics of those youtube viewers 90% of them would be people in their mid to late 20s looking for a bit of nostalgia from their teens. I can't imagine them having any young fans.

There's probably some truth to that. But I've found that videos on YouTube don't get a lot of views unless they carry some current relevance. Look up the views for Pretty Fly or Ace of Base's "The Sign." Both wildly popular for their times, yet the highest viewed Pretty Fly entry (not even the official video) only has a million views, and Ace of Base's song is not quite at two million.

16 million on YouTube definitely says something to me.

Omni
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
That kind of raises the question: What was their label thinking?

At the time, they were probably thinking "Sure, we'll take another eight to ten million records being sold." Little did they know the iPod was on the horizon and that broadband Internet would be available for dirt cheap in just a couple short years. I'm sure they'll one day start hounding *NSYNC about it when they're desperate enough.