PDA

View Full Version : Settling in at work

Isolated Fury
03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
So I started this job in January. I'm selling new and used cars at a local Chevy dealership. At first it was ROUGH. Customers hated me. The sales manager hated me. I'm pretty sure half of the other salesmen thought I was retarded. Anyway, I'm started to get a hang of it. I've sold some cars since then. I'm starting to understand the process of the deals and how each department interacts. But...

It seems like every time I have a good experience with something, I end up screwing something up or completely forgetting something. I literally just had a customer leave ten minutes ago in a new Malibu. They loved the car and the service they received. Smiles and laughs were shared and spread. As I was watching them pull out of the lot, I reached into my pocket and found their second set of keys. Fantastic. Yesterday I had a customer leave after we appraised their trade-in. I returned to my desk and discovered their registration and insurance papers sitting on my desk. Fantastic. Two weeks ago. Customer negotiates pricing. Andy negotiates all commission out of his pocket. Fantastic. February. Customer. Down payment. Andy loses. Fan-fucking-tasic.

You get the point.

This is where everyone else tells their ridiculous tales of self-sabotage and such.

bighead384
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I have a problem where when I'm learning something new and am nervous, I can't really focus on other things. Like common sense or basic awareness of situations. Can't think of stories though, except one I'm too embarrassed to tell.

Alright I'll admit it: I was making a hot roast beef sandwich at a hoagie place for the first time. I dropped the bread with the beef in it into the saucepan. I knew what I had done right away (obviously), but for some reason...I did that. It's weird. I'm stupid in some ways. I think the owner handed me the sandwich with the beef and bread as a visual aid to show me how much beef to drop into the saucepan, but obviously not so I could drop the whole thing in. lol.

The guys there were already dicks in the first place, so that added to my nervousness.

Isolated Fury
03-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Alright I'll admit it: I was making a hot roast beef sandwich at a hoagie place for the first time. I dropped the bread with the beef in it into the saucepan. I knew what I had done right away (obviously), but for some reason...I did that. It's weird. I'm stupid in some ways. I think the owner handed me the sandwich with the beef and bread as a visual aid to show me how much beef to drop into the saucepan, but obviously not so I could drop the whole thing in. lol.
My very first job was at a pizza place. They taught me how to prep pizzas for baking and everything. I learned it all really quickly. But then they moved me to the other side of the oven. The very first time I went to take a pizza out of the oven, the spatula flip over and the pizza went falling to the floor. So I feel where you're coming from. Haha

Llamas
03-24-2012, 02:29 PM
I used to fuck up all the time at jobs I hated. Like working at Perkins and Target... oh god. Now that I'm teaching, I don't make these kinds of embarrassing mistakes too often... but we all make mistakes.

Shortly after I started teaching, I made a dumb one (similar to one of yours, Andy). I went home at the end of the night with the key for my classroom in my pocket. Since I didn't work the next day, they had to get through the entire day without my classroom key, which meant all the kids had to enter the classroom through the main office. I thought I was gonna be in huge trouble for that mess up, but my boss ended up forgiving me. Plus, when they asked me about the key, I had no idea where it was; I didn't remember taking it home with me. I just had my fingers crossed all day that it'd be at home when I got there.

Otherwise, my problems in my current job are that my boss is a completely control freak and seriously freaks out about every little thing, overblowing it to insane levels, and expecting way, way too much from his teachers which we don't get paid for. It's pretty awesome. That's off topic, though. I just teetered the line of yelling at him two days ago, though. Looking for a new school to work at next year. Ugh.

Isolated Fury
03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Otherwise, my problems in my current job are that my boss is a completely control freak and seriously freaks out about every little thing, overblowing it to insane levels, and expecting way, way too much from his teachers which we don't get paid for. It's pretty awesome. That's off topic, though. I just teetered the line of yelling at him two days ago, though. Looking for a new school to work at next year. Ugh.
Our used car manager butts heads with me on a daily basis. It's not exactly intentional. We just have conflicting personalities. I'm more of a sincere, caring person, and he's a cock. So we don't get along very well. What I've noticed is that everything he does, though, is for a positive goal. He just goes about it in a retarded way. So maybe your boss is the same way. He's just a dickbag. Haha

Llamas
03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Our used car manager butts heads with me on a daily basis. It's not exactly intentional. We just have conflicting personalities. I'm more of a sincere, caring person, and he's a cock. So we don't get along very well. What I've noticed is that everything he does, though, is for a positive goal. He just goes about it in a retarded way. So maybe your boss is the same way. He's just a dickbag. Haha

I used to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe he didn't realize how he was. But then I substituted for someone on a Friday evening, and this old lady (I'm talking 80's) came in around 7:30 with a bucket, mop and cleaning supplies. She introduced herself as my boss's mom, and told me that she cleans the school on Friday nights. This guy manipulates everyone into doing things for him. And his "goals" are to earn as much money as possible and have as much business success as he can. He constantly manipulates the teachers into doing work for him for free, and then he tries to turn us against us by spreading "gossip" to us. Unfortunately for him, all the teachers are friends and not gossipers. We're pretty united, despite his efforts.

Jojan
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I think that the real question is: Who the fuck is Andy?

calichix
03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
I am a preschool teacher at an amazing non-profit, and my job makes me blissfully happy and proud and satisfied with my contribution to the world. Right now I'm scanning craigslist for shitty waitressing jobs. Wtf?

Harleyquiiinn
03-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Well, my job is the kind of one where it is absolutely impossible not to fuck up. And also the kind of job where fucking things up can have real consequences.

Because of that, I used to be overly careful about what I did and said. And in the end, I wouldn't dare to do much.

Lately, I decided that I was good enough. After all, I am careful about what I write and say, I check every law and case I quote. I spend a lot of times on my research to make sure that I understand everything (As my personnal Obi-Wan Kenobi used to say "Research, young lady, research. This is the essence of this profession. If you don't do your research properly, you can be as eloquent as Cicero, you will always be mediocre"). So, fuck this. Now, I pretend that I am confident, and if they tell me that I shouldn't have done that, well, at least, I would have given my best and will have my conscience clear.