PDA

View Full Version : I heard Kill the President for the first time today

RageAndLov
03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
and it was nothing special. I can't see why people think it is the best song off that album. Why didn't I listen to it sooner? Because I've always had the newer version of S/T, and I got the old one off eBay one month ago. I didn't want to spoil the song untill I actually got the physical copy in my hands.

Llamas
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
and it was nothing special. I can't see why people think it is the best song off that album. Why didn't I listen to it sooner? Because I've always had the newer version of S/T, and I got the old one off eBay one month ago. I didn't want to spoil the song untill I actually got the physical copy in my hands.

People think it's the best song on the album? Strange. I've definitely never thought so. Maybe people think so because it's "rare"; luckily, I've always had the 1995 release of the S/T, so Kill the President was never anything unique for me. Tehran and I'll Be Waiting are the best songs on that album, imo.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Crossroads and I'll Be Waiting are the best songs on that album
in my opinion...

BagOfShenanigans
03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
It's nothing too special. I, personally, like Jennifer Lost the War, Elders, and Tehran.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Blackball and Beheaded are next for me. Oh no, this is going to turn into a song-ranking thread

jacknife737
03-25-2012, 05:54 PM
It's not a bad song, bu it's probably the worst on the album. The lyrics are pretty cliche.

cool 2 hate 681
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
i bought my copy of the first album back in 1999 so i always had it:cool:

Llamas
03-25-2012, 06:14 PM
It's not a bad song, bu it's probably the worst on the album. The lyrics are pretty cliche.

A Thousand Days has always been my most easily-overlooked song on that album. Very forgettable. For that reason, I think it's the "worst" song on the album... but I've never skipped any songs on it, so it's not really "bad". KTP has a cool intro, and it's easier to sing along to than A Thousand Days.

Hay guise, less rank the songs off s/t!! Ready? GO! lolololoz

1. Jennifer Lost the War
2. Elders
3. Out on Patrol
4. Crossroads
5. Demons
6. Beheaded
7. Tehran
8. A Thousand Days
9. Blackball
10. I'll Be Waiting
11. Kill the President

;) ;) ;)

Tijs
03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I bought my copy of Self Titled with KTP from a BBS member actually. But 10 euros in an enveloppe and a few days later I had the CD in my hands. I believe he was called Tigger Army. That was like 10 years ago. Awesome.

Hay guise, less rank the songs off s/t!! Ready? GO! lolololozOkai! :D

1. Beheaded
2. I'll be Waiting
3. Crossroads
4. Demons
5. Blackball
6. Out on patrol
7. Elders
8. Jennifer Lost the War
9. A Thousand Days
10. Tehran
11. Kill the President

But really, they're all good songs.

cool 2 hate 681
03-25-2012, 08:29 PM
1. Beheaded
2. I'll be Waiting
3. Crossroads
4. Out on patrol
5. Blackball
6. Elders
7. Tehran
8. Jennifer Lost the War
9. A Thousand Days
10. Kill the President
11. Demons

Tijs
03-25-2012, 09:57 PM
For a moment there I thought you just copy/pasted my list.

cool 2 hate 681
03-25-2012, 10:39 PM
no i didn't but it is pretty similar:D

holland25
03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Bitch, please...

1. Crossroads
2. Tehran
3. Blackball
4. Jennifer Lost the War
5. A Thousand Days
6. Elders
7. Beheaded
8. I'll Be Waiting
9. Out on Patrol
10. Kill the President
11. Demons

Defender
03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Okay let's do this... My answer to this thread is obvious on my ranking list:

1. Be Headed
2. Jennifer Lost The War
3. Crossroads
4. Demons
5. Out On Patrol
6. I'll Be Waiting
7. Elders
8. A Thousand Days
9. Blackball
10. Tehran
11. Kill The President

Pablon
03-26-2012, 03:32 AM
1. Elders
2. Crossroads
3. Out on Patrol
4. I'll Be Waiting
5. Blackball
6. Beheaded
7. A Thousand Days
8. Demons
9. Tehran
10. Kill the President
11. Jennifer Lost the War

That's the way I like it.

Aha-aha.

Degstur Lolland
03-26-2012, 03:49 AM
The best thing about KTP are drums. From time to time it gets into my head unlike anything else and I have an urge to drum my table. It's one of those best things. Then, bass follows if not equally great. It's a killer song, literally.

AGAIN: really genius drums.

Beheaded
03-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Beheaded is the best.;)

JANNY
03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Beheaded is the best.;)

Also Kill the president :D

RageAndLov
03-26-2012, 07:06 AM
How can none of you acknowledge that Out on patrol is the best song?

1. Out on Patrol
2. Tehran
3. Beheaded
4. Jennifer Lost the War
5. I'll Be Waiting
6. Elders
7. Crossroads
8. A Thousand Days
9. Blackball
10. Demons
11. Kill the President

Jojan
03-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Kill the President
Elders
Blackball
Out on Patrol
Crossroads
A Thousand Days
Jennifer Lost the War
Demons (A Mexican Fiesta)
Beheaded
Tehran
I'll Be Waiting

My Name Was Taken
03-26-2012, 07:38 AM
My favorites are Elders and Demons, I believe. I haven't listened to s/t in a long time, though.

randman21
03-26-2012, 12:45 PM
"Kill the President" was the first song I downloaded when I started liking Americana and wanted to hear more Offspring, so I had no idea of its rarity. In fact, for some reason I thought the band had fallen into obscurity and KtP was what they were up to now. Loved it instantly, if only for morbid curiosity because I wasn't familiar with that more pure form of punk, especially being able to scream "kill the president" and get away with it. That was bizarre and awesome for me. It remained my favorite from the S/T upon hearing the rest of it, but not for long. My list looks something like this now

1. Out on Patrol
2. Kill the President
2. Blackball
2. A Thousand Days
2. Tehran
6. I'll Be Waiting
7. Crossroads
8. Elders
9. Jennifer Lost the War
10. Beheaded
11. Demons

I love how 1-6 have all been my favorite at one point. Anyway, I find it to be a great song, and I'll dare say those who like it agree. But I haven't seen many people lately saying it's their favorite S/T song.

bighead384
03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Demons (which I see is near the bottom of almost everyone's list) used to be one of my favorite songs in general! I think I thought it was cool because the guitar and drums are cool sounding in the song, which I guess I really valued at that time, but as a whole it's just not anything special. I probably don't even listen to it anymore except by accident, which I find funny, because I considered it an amazing song for a couple years.

I think with Kill The President, it's the same sort of thing. Every instrument is featured pretty prominently in the song, and the lyrics are very bold as well. Furthermore, it's the last track on the album, which carries a special sort of appeal. But it just doesn't come together as a whole as being a great song.

Oh yeah. It also bothers me that the lyrics in the chorus are supposedly "Kill the president: listen to the voice of reason!". Isn't that what the booklet says? Because I definitely am not hearing a sentence with that many words in the actual song.

Llamas
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I like how people took me seriously, and how nobody noticed that I didn't even rank the songs; I just listed them in album order. Goes to show that these lists are useless and nobody ever looks at anyone else's.

Little_Miss_1565
03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I thought the only reason people talk about this song a lot is because it was quietly removed from S/T 10 years ago, not because it's a long-lost fan favorite. I don't think it's a terrible song, but its subtext seems to say "we wrote this song when we were still in high school."

Krojd
03-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I bought the 1995 ST copy in small town here in Czech Republic (also Ignition), I think it was year 1999 or 2000. It was complete coincidence, I saw the store so I walked there just to see what they got and BAM! There it was.

bighead384
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think Dexter was ever an anarchist or anything. I just think that being heavily inspired at that time by TSOL (who has songs like "Abolish Government") led Dexter to write a song with those kind of shocking lyrics. As he says right before a live recording of the song, and as the rest of the lyrics suggest, the song is basically about people initiating change from the ground up, and not waiting for authority and the establishment in general (symbolized by the president) to create change.

I don't even think the lyrics are terrible or immature, it's just that if you go on to have the kind of career that The Offspring has had, it's just not worth it to have this anarchist-sounding song for everyone to misunderstand.

mrconeman
03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
My guess, along with 1565 and Brianna's theory, being that it's just talked about a lot because it was removed from re-released versions of ST, is that people like to talk about it because it's so trupunx. I mean, come on, talking about killing the President? Naive teenagers love that shit. Definitely not my favourite off the album.

cool 2 hate 681
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
i wonder if epitaph has the rights to it? i know the vinyl was released by nitro/epitaph in 95

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
I like how people took me seriously, and how nobody noticed that I didn't even rank the songs; I just listed them in album order. Goes to show that these lists are useless and nobody ever looks at anyone else's.

I noticed!!

Omni
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Kill the President is on both of the copies I've found.

I'll be Waiting is the best song in my opinion.

Llamas
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I noticed!!
^5

I'll be Waiting is the best song in my opinion.
^5, it totally is.

Little_Miss_1565
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
I would also just like to state that KTP came off S/T 10 years ago. There is an entire group of fans here that don't know S/T having that song on it. This makes me feel old.

jacknife737
03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
I would also just like to state that KTP came off S/T 10 years ago. There is an entire group of fans here that don't know S/T having that song on it. This makes me feel old.

Yeah, it seems sort of bizarre that there's people hearing it for the first time in 2012...

I picked up my S/T copy around 2000, so i've always had KTP; i suppose i never thought twice that a lot of fans wouldn't have any idea that it existed.

Pablon
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Sad thing in here is to read people saying that the S/T is one of their worst albums. I mean, it's clearly one of their best! The darkest one, indeed, so it deserves tons of attention... it's pretty relevant!!

Awkward situation... for me, I guess.

P.S: Is this a bad thing? Or what? Or we're actually old?

Defender
03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Goes to show that these lists are useless and nobody ever looks at anyone else's.

I always take a look at the lists. It's interesting to compare preferences.

DuReX
03-27-2012, 01:57 AM
1. Out On Patrol
2. Crossroads
3. Elders
4. Beheaded
5. Tehran
6. Blackball
7. Kill The President
8. I'll Be Waiting
9. A Thousand Days
10. Demons
11. Jennifer Lost The War

Tijs
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I like how people took me seriously, and how nobody noticed that I didn't even rank the songs; I just listed them in album order. Goes to show that these lists are useless and nobody ever looks at anyone else's.Haha! I did look at the list and thought to myself why you put Beheaded and I'll Be Waiting so low. I should've seen it was just the album's order. Shame on me :(

Llamas
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM

The fact that I literally almost typed, "But I bought my copy *with* KTP, and it's from 1995! That was only 7 years ago!" makes me ULTRASUPERFANTASTIC OLD.

Haha! I did look at the list and thought to myself why you put Beheaded and I'll Be Waiting so low. I should've seen it was just the album's order. Shame on me :(

Hahaha! Okay that's kinda funny ;)

Jojan
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM

The really sad thing is that the kids do not know of Wikipedia. :-(

Little_Miss_1565
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
The really sad thing is that the kids do not know of Wikipedia. :-(

Isn't Wikipedia that thing that says the new album is going to be called something in horribly broken English?

Jojan
03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Isn't Wikipedia that thing that says the new album is going to be called something in horribly broken English?

Nope. It says

<!--- Please DO NOT add "TBA (2012)" to this list. See [[WP:HAMMER]] --->
<!-- Don't add the Greatest Hits album. This section is intended to include only their studio albums, not their compilation albums, EPs, etc. -->
when you want to edit that section.